Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Colors also had Eggman burning aliens alive for a power source. Well,  when they weren't being mutated into nega-wisps after being seriously depleted.

Hidden edgy grim-dark too much? 

• Thumbs Up 5

6 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Never-fucking-mind, then.

I'm sorry :(

I do understand where your coming from and I understand the fustration. I too do not want a ShTH story. Me personally, I just don't want to see Sonic Colors either.

But I do want to apologise for my snarky comments. 

1 minute ago, Mikyeong said:

Me personally, I just don't want to see Sonic Colors either.

Meh,  we haven't really had a real SONIC Colors tier story since the actual Sonic Colors anyway.

That said,  a nice mix of story tiers Colors,  Dream Cast Era, Unleashed and Black Knight would be keen.  Lost World tried to achieve such bit sadly failed to do so in the end. 

Compared to moments like this that some may have forgotten:

4_Sonic_Adventure_2-_ARKs_Collision_Cour

What we have in the trailer is INCREDIBLY tamed by comparison. Eggman's just doing his thing in actuality this time. I'm pretty sure his robots aren't meant to frolic peacefully in Sonic's forests and islands.

• Thumbs Up 1

To be honest with you, Sonic Adventure 2 WAS a grimdark story however it had some cartoony elements to it.

2 hours ago, Hyper Enesephus said:

Yeah, and it sucked (like, the tone of that game sucked, it didn't feel remotely Sonic-like at all). Like I said, Unleashed did a good job of making things fun and lighthearted throughout while still having an epic and serious finale that didn't feel like mood whiplash. If this game can strike a balance similar to that, then it could be fine. I'm not really saying the only time a Sonic game can be dark is at the end, but, at the same time, things shouldn't be "dark and serious" the whole way through, like 2006 tried too do. To me, that's just not what Sonic is, and "a break from all the sunshine" doesn't mean anything anyway if there isn't some of that sunshine in the game itself.

Wait explain to me how the tone of 06 sucked. 06 was amazing and what is Sonic like? What says sonic has to be all sunshine and rainbows and light hearted.Where does it say sonic has to always be smiling and making jokes 24/7 and that the world can not be on the brink of the end and conquered by eggman or whatever villain.

Tell me in what way this "sucked"

This came out my senior year in HS and ever has an opening had me more excited. Eggman comes in and starts bombing a city with people still there You see the world in flames and silver *though you did not know it was him this early in* claiming to have found him in a dark voice. Sega is free to do what they want but having a dark story in nearly any show makes it more exciting sometimes instead of just jokes joke jokes jokes all around and eggman acting like a goof and overly bubbling 24/7 throughout a sonic game. Sure its not everyones cup of tea but I know there are a lot excited to hopefully see a darker spin on a sonic story instead of the POWER OF FRIENDSHIP TEE HEE HEE storyline again.

6 minutes ago, Mikyeong said:

To be honest with you, Sonic Adventure 2 WAS a grimdark story however it had some cartoony elements to it.

That's it though. It had some grim dark but it had, for the most part, the right amount of light-hearted elements to make for a Sonic story NOT dominated by unwitting elements like 06.

5 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

ed"

This came out my senior year in HS and ever has an opening had me more excited. Eggman comes in and starts bombing a city with people still there You see the world in flames and silver *though you did not know it was him this early in* claiming to have found him in a dark voice. 

Ah yes,  that's like one of few scenes that feels straight up rock-your-socks-off Sonic in 06. It's a shame that the game as a whole just didn't live up to that. 

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Undyne Phoenix said:

That's it though. It had done grim dark but it had fir the most part, the right amount of light-hearted elements to make for a Sonic story NOT dominated by unwitting elements like 06.

Ah yes,  that's like one of few scenes that feels straight up rock-your-socks-off Sonic. It's a shame that the game as a whole just didn't live up to that. 

Well Sega rushed Sonic team to push it out without testing it. Sonic 06 could have been an amazing game all around. But rushing a product and splitting the team are not good signs. That is why I am putting my hopes into this game.

2 minutes ago, Terriful said:

I'm excited. BUT WHY DOES IT COME OUT HOLIDAY 2017?!?!?!?

One of the main reasons which I can finally wave in some friends that bet me faces, is cause of the NX/E3/TGS

Just now, Meta77 said:

Well Sega rushed Sonic team to push it out without testing it. Sonic 06 could have been an amazing game all around. 

Maybe it could have,  but that won't excuse the final product that got released and the damage has been done,  I'm afraid. 

Just now, Meta77 said:

But rushing a product and splitting the team are not good signs. That is why I am putting my hopes into this game.

Oh by all means,  pump those hopes to your limit. I myself am hyped for the game which looks like it'll at least be going back to pulling off those more tone -balanced Sonic story tiers.

That said,  praising or hating the trailer for apparent "grim-darkness" all because of a burning city is way too irrational of a response. 

4 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Undyne Phoenix said:

Maybe it could have,  but that won't excuse the final product that got released and the damage has been done,  I'm afraid. 

Oh by all means,  pump those hopes to your limit. I myself am hyped for the game which looks like it'll at least be going back to pulling off those more tone -balanced Sonic story tiers.

That said,  praising or hating the trailer for apparent "grim-darkness" all because of a burning city is way too irrational of a response. 

I am taking it as they are killing people. That is what I am hoping for. There is little reason to stomp around a empty city smashing a empty city unless the robots are all A.I based and are competing for lets see who can smash the most buildings contest. lol. And stating that you need to join the resistance puts it in light that sonic probably lost some fight and is now trying to come back and stop whoever most likely eggman again from what he has done.

• Thumbs Up 1

For me the perfect tone and setting for a Sonic game will always be something along the lines of the first Sonic Adventure and the Unleashed intro. The Mario-esque outings like Colors and Lost World are atrocious and with no personality at all. add some good writing a la Sonic and the Black Kinght and I'm sold.

Btw, the more I think about it, the more I found the partner thing to be interesting.

I'd also like to see an all 3D game but I guess I will be disappointed

• Thumbs Up 3

Is it me or does Sonic look alot more vibrant? He seems to be a little lighter of a blue. And it doesn't seem that grimdark because of the bright colors used. I'm all for having a darker storyline, Unleashed did it well. Don't be surprised at Eggman destroying an entire city when he literally broke apart the entire planet before. 

I'm honestly not THAT excited, and kind of weirded out by seeing Classic Sonic again (remember when they said Classic Sonic was a one time thing). Is this going to be another time anomaly story? If there were two giant Death Egg-esque robots i'm assuming both Modern and Classic Eggman are controlling them. I think what's going to separate it from being a Generations 2 though is it's going to have original levels and not retreads of the previous ones.

I'm interested in this game, but this has to be the most baffling Sonic teaser we've ever gotten.

• Thumbs Up 2

28 minutes ago, Mikyeong said:

Yup. I agree to a degree (SA2 isn't overly grimdark, though moments like the screen shot I posted above do lurk in those areas). With this new teaser, I would rank it's serious toning significantly less than SA2, and from what I've come across, I'd say plenty of people were more tolerant of that game's direction when it came to those moments. It's certainly not anywhere near Shadow's or 06 over the top super serious non ironic tone at all.

I think it's literally because it's a high budgeted CGI that's actively showing the process of Eggman taking control that people are forgetting how "real" Sonic games can get. People would be saying the same thing about Sonic 3(&K) being too dark if Marza Planet were to animate Eggrobo bombing the little animals or one of the bosses burning down all of Angel Island.

My general impressions.

It doesn't tell us much, but from what we've seen...

I think it will play similarly to the "Boost Trilogy". And I love the fact that the tone seems more like Unleashed and Adventure. A lot of people are really annoyed by Classic Sonic being there, but I don't mind it by principle, I'll wait and see just exactly why he is there and what he brings to the table. Oh, and while it was an animation, those graphics look like they are in-engine. This was not animated by Marza, from what I can tell. In which case, DAMN this is gonna be a gorgeous game, possibly one of the best looking in the industry. Sonic's model is so detailed yet stylised. I can't wait to see more. Oh, and just the fact that it's releasing holiday 2017, meaning it's had 3-4 years in development by the time it releases, is amazing to see. SEGA should really continue this trend - get guys like Sanzaru and Taxman to make smaller games between the big Sonic Team games that get multi-year dev cycles.

37 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I don't have a grudge against things burning, man. But there is a huge difference in tone between a jungle fire and an inhabited city being trampled and burned.

Or are we all going to pretend '06 was good, now?

Think its a bit disingenuous to suggest that anyone here is saying 06 was good. 

32 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Never-fucking-mind, then.

So what are your actual hang-ups with respect to this project?

I can understand the presence of classic sonic - that is a crutch. I don't like the fact that they've fallen back to that simply because of its critical success the first time. Its pointless and unecessary. 

But is the apparent tone of the trailer that much of a problem? Would you have been okay with it if Tails and Knuckles broke the debris instead of classic sonic? At this point, apart from vague hints of a "revolution" and a destroyed city, there isn't much to go on. Eggman blew up the damn planet in Unleashed, and I thought tonally it was the best among all 3D games. 

Meh I dunno.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Nepenthe said:

SA2 isn't grimdark. It's nothing more SA1's story retold all over again with trash talking, dumb character humor, some sci-fi window dressings and a ending talking hope and peace on Earth. If the first Pokemon Movie isn't considered grimdark and offensive to the wider series at large then SA2 shouldn't reasonably be considered as such. Talk about narrow definitions.

I can understand why people would say it's grimdark because for one someone gets executed and a lot of death refrences. And you know what? I can kinda understand why people would think Sonic 2017 would be grimdark because of all the destruction and such people know it's gonna be a serious story and some don't think Sonic needs to be that serious. Do I agree? Nope. But I sure hell understand.

• Thumbs Up 1

The way I look at this game is that Sonic Team saw the way Lost World was received and immediately made the decision to go back to what was their last really notable success with Generations. I guess it's a little disappointing that Classic Sonic is there with the revelation of Sonic Mania but more games in the style of Generations is not something I'm really going to say no to. I believe Iizuka when he says that it's a brand new title and I think that much was obvious just looking at the teaser despite Classic Sonic being present.

Also the "Join the resistance" line gives me a bit of hope that we won't just see two Sonics in the cast of playable characters. Not a ton of hope but at least a little. I wouldn't be too disappointed either way. I want both this and Mania pretty much equally. I'm honestly just glad to have a major Sonic title on something outside of a Nintendo console or handheld after so long. My PlayStation 4 is going to get a lot of attention.

• Thumbs Up 4

11 minutes ago, Mikyeong said:

I can understand why people would say it's grimdark because for one someone gets executed and a lot of death refrences. And you know what? I can kinda understand why people would think Sonic 2017 would be grimdark because of all the destruction and such people know it's gonna be a serious story and some don't think Sonic needs to be that serious. Do I agree? Nope. But I sure hell understand.

We saw the stomping death of a bunch of Chao and the retaliated destruction of the Knuckles tribe, Eggman seriously trying to nuke an entire city, and Chaos outright flooding it in SA1 with the implication that at least everyone on the streets and in cars at the time got rekt, and no one seems to think there's just a wee bit too much death in there. Which is ironic because, like, you don't actually see anyone die in SA2; all you hear is Maria's gunshot, but if you're going to make an argument that a hearing single shot is worse than actively seeing the reskinned puppy dogs getting stomped on, then be my guest. But I'm personally not going to take too much stock in the rationale, especially since this whole sticking point about SA2's "edge!!1!" is that it has to ignore the overwhelming rest of the game's tonal and narrative context to even make sense. Sure, 96% of the game is generic lighthearted and action-oriented Sonic shenanigans you'd find in SA1, but that remaining 4%? Way too much bro. Therefore grimdark. I mean hell, multiple Nintendo series get away with being called appropriate with less one-sided odds than that.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 9

Guys, it just hit me.

We're getting a next-gen Sonic title. We're getting a PS4/Xbox One 3D Sonic game.

We could have a game on the same scale as this:

That CG Trailer? If they put the effort in, we could actually have a game near that standard.

• Thumbs Up 3