Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

1 hour ago, BlueParadox said:

So I've just uploaded the uncompressed gameplay video of Sonic Forces, just in case anyone wants to see it in glorious 60FPS and HD <3

The original source video of the official Youtube upload is probably the same as what was given to the press. Youtube however compresses the video, so your result there is basically the same as what's on the official Sonic Youtube channel.

EDIT: Actually, directly comparing the two, turns out your upload is actually more compressed than what the Sonic Youtube uploaded:

Official Sonic Youtube
Your upload

Conclusion: Youtube is weird.

If Boom Sonic is the third gameplay style, how would people react to it if he was more akin to how Sonic played like in the Adventure games (and with better Parkour mechanics itstoogoodtobeaoneoffthingdammit) and not like in Rise of Lyric?

What if...Eggmans evil forces are comprised of Classic Eggman, Nega, The D6 and Mephiles and not just his robots? Only half joking since I mean, you'd have to be pretty ballsy to bring mephiles back, but idk, I feel like this game at this point could probably throw us anything given how little we still know.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Well I don't see many city locations within Sonic with pieces from other tropes, like I've said, the cartoony simplistic looking natural sections look like they contrast the realistic destroyed city, and with Classic randomly showing up, it doesn't seem that wacky to think eggman is messing with time and space again, especially if this perhaps takes place after the events of Gens

This can just simply be the first game that merges the styles.  The idea that locations from "Classic Sonic's time" are being merged with "Modern Sonic's time" is kind of ridiculous considering Sonic is 15 years old, the world has not completely changed within his lifespan.  Additionally, the handheld games, Sonic 4, Sonic Heroes and Sonic Lost World are modern Sonic games with wacky locations already.

Like... I won't lie, I wouldn't completely write off the possibility of them doing something like that but it'd be stupid and - while in a very different direction - a lore shark jump comparable to when the series started dealing with government conspiracies and Princess snogs.

• Thumbs Up 5

9 minutes ago, Azoo said:

The moment it's fully accepted that unity is unreasonable and we begin to speak in favor of building walls between different parts of the franchise, as if they have no business meddling (besides when made obvious that they are), is when you know a series is truly fucked.

Not trying to argue if that's what they're doing or not (it is), but that's absolutely not a good way to handle a series.

And as successful as Generations was or Mania will be, I hope that when we're past this game we can be done for good. Let Mania not be a "classic" Sonic game, but rather just a 2D Sonic (and a damn amazing one at that). And let whatever game from here on out not be a "modern" Sonic game, but just a 3D Sonic game. Sure, they can have their gameplay style differences, I don't even care as much at this point. I'm just beyond exhausted with the divide, and people defending it.

But I digress. Ech.

While you're absolutely right, the unity is only unreasonable because people won't stop jumping at each other's throats and putting one preferred style above another in the other party's faces. No one's gonna wanna come together if they can't bring themselves to like each other due to that.

Even I can kinda relate to that since I do like Classic Sonic gameplay, espeically S3&K, but I hate Classic Sonic fans due to how obnoxiously in-your-face they've been lately about their gameplay style being the absolute best and the only one that should exist. I'm also a big Adventure fan, but I don't very much like talking to other Adventure fans for reasons you can easily guess just by going to a certain social media page.

We need to be able to get along and for the most part, the majority doesn't want to do that. They just want to have their way and win over the others.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Soni said:

If Boom Sonic is the third gameplay style, how would people react to it if he was more akin to how Sonic played like in the Adventure games (and with better Parkour mechanics itstoogoodtobeaoneoffthingdammit) and not like in Rise of Lyric?

Accepted if they just needed a visual model difference. It'd admittedly look ridiculous if they made a model to match that old Adventure Artwork with the long spikes and shoes, and even more noodley limbs than he already has.

3 minutes ago, Soni said:

Given the negative reception of the wisps inclusion, I expect outcry that Sega has fucked up and that the game is 100% shit.(the hate is that toxic)

5 minutes ago, JezMM said:

This can just simply be the first game that merges the styles.  The idea that locations from "Classic Sonic's time" are being merged with "Modern Sonic's time" is kind of ridiculous considering Sonic is 15 years old, the world has not completely changed within his lifespan.  Additionally, the handheld games, Sonic 4, Sonic Heroes and Sonic Lost World are modern Sonic games with wacky locations already.

Unleashed's and SA2's locations for the most part I probably wouldn't say are similar to the Classic's aesthetics and designs. It's progressed far enough I'd say. I mean hell, even in Gens, stages like Chemical Plant still felt more ancient and old school compared to stuff like Planet Wisp and Rooftop Run. And in a series with time travel, hover vehicles, and the world splitting, I don't think location merging is too far out there.:/

11 minutes ago, KHCast said:

What if...Eggmans evil forces are comprised of Classic Eggman, Nega, The D6 and Mephiles and not just his robots? Only half joking since I mean, you'd have to be pretty ballsy to bring mephiles back, but idk, I feel like this game at this point could probably throw us anything given how little we still know.

Obviously sans Mephiles.  Nega, might not  be as likely, but he COULD be involved if Eggman's doing a dimensions/future-collaboration with his descendant again. Otherwise, it certainly sounds plausible.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, KHCast said:

I'd be down for that seeing as mephiles was only villain able to flat out kill sonic without giving a damn though he took his time. And naga is just insane

and that's fine if they do that, again, I've said I could be wrong, and I wouldn't have a problem with that, but the mere idea being blasted and written off and acted like "OH NO THATD NEEEVER HAPPEN IN SONIC" is making me scratch my head given what this series has done already. It may be the case they're just doing something new, but to me, the natural and realistic sections don't look stylistically simalar, and I think it's POSSIBLE that level merging could be a thing. COULD. It'd be interesting, and again, the presence of Classic Sonic makes that idea feel more believable with what's been shown. 

1 minute ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

Obviously sans Mephiles and Nega, maybe not as likely. Otherwise, it certainly sounds plausible.

Also, let's get the Deadly Six far, far away from the series. I really don't like them. Ugly designs and boring personalities. 

The villains will probably just be Eggman and Classic Eggman again.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, KHCast said:

and that's fine if they do that, again, I've said I could be wrong, and I wouldn't have a problem with that, but the mere idea being blasted and written off and acted like "OH NO THATD NEEEVER HAPPEN IN SONIC" is making me scratch my head given what this series has done already. It may be the case they're just doing something new, but to me, the natural and realistic sections don't look stylistically simalar, and I think it's POSSIBLE that level merging could be a thing. COULD. It'd be interesting, and again, the presence of Classic Sonic makes that idea feel more believable with what's been shown. 

I wonder if it's just the shock of them finally getting the wise idea to merge the two styles to establish once and for all that no, Classic and Modern aren't two different worlds, to put that stupid misconception back into hole it should never have emerged from in the first place.

3 minutes ago, Marcello said:

Also, let's get the Deadly Six far, far away from the series. I really don't like them.

Supplementary franchise material has shown that they do have potential though.

They've got a shot at returning outside of the party game they've already returned for.

• Thumbs Up 7

22 minutes ago, Waveshocker Sigma said:

While you're absolutely right, the unity is only unreasonable because people won't stop jumping at each other's throats and putting one preferred style above another in the other party's faces. No one's gonna wanna come together if they can't bring themselves to like each other due to that.

Even I can kinda relate to that since I do like Classic Sonic gameplay, espeically S3&K, but I hate Classic Sonic fans due to how obnoxiously in-your-face they've been lately about their gameplay style being the absolute best and the only one that should exist. I'm also a big Adventure fan, but I don't very much like talking to other Adventure fans for reasons you can easily guess just by going to a certain social media page.

We need to be able to get along and for the most part, the majority doesn't want to do that. They just want to have their way and win over the others.

Every fanbase has it's extremists and purists. Thanks to some of Sega's absolutely insane decisions made in the mid 2000s, Sonic's are a bit more pronounced (understatement, but you know).

That doesn't excuse that this is the only series I've ever known of that actually builds their games and future decisions around said extremists. 

• Thumbs Up 7

16 minutes ago, Azoo said:

Not trying to argue if that's what they're doing or not (it is), but that's absolutely not a good way to handle a series. And as successful as Generations was or Mania will be, I hope that when we're past this game we can be done with this mindset for good.

I fully agree. As much as I enjoyed Generations, it'll never be beyond a 'just good' game. Ideally I feel the series should come to the point how Sega should handle Sonic in the future should make no difference as long as the quality is great. I hope Mania starts this and Forces continues the trend. It does look interesting and hope Classic and this other gameplay method are also enjoyable.

It looks different from previous 'dark' Sonic games in that the story is based on the concept of Eggman (or men) winning and conquering the world. And I like it. I'm hoping the voice overs can be toggled on/off or are tolerable. 

I actually really love the aesthetic of this stage. I'm not a huge fan of city levels in the 3D Sonic games since they have always felt out of place among the zones of classic Sonic games. I just don't buy that places like Station Square exist in the same world as Green Hill.

Unleashed improved on this somewhat, taking its real-world locations in a slightly more cartoonish direction, but still some of its locations clash with how I imagine Sonic's world.

This city is different. The city itself reminds me of Rooftop Run, but I love the way it's built on a Green Hill-type location. It's the kind of city you might actually expect to see in Sonic's world.

The game might suck (hopefully not) but I'm excited to see what other zones we'll see. 

3 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

I wonder if it's just the shock of them finally getting the wise idea to merge the two styles to establish once and for all that no, Classic and Modern aren't two different worlds, to put that stupid misconception back into hole it should never have emerged from in the first place.

Supplementary franchise material has shown that they do have potential though.

They've got a shot at returning outside of the party game they've already returned for.

I'm just saying it'd be cool if they did a level merging gimmick. Not that they need to be different worlds to do so.  Not that they're different worlds at all. (Though could be leftover desire from Gens missing the opportunity to do that)

1 minute ago, Azoo said:

Every fanbase has it's extremists and purists. Thanks to some of Sega's absolutely insane decisions made in the mid 2000s, Sonic's is a bit more pronounced.

That doesn't excuse that this is the only series I've ever known of that actually builds their games and future decisions around said extremists. 

Again, you're absolutely right. I'm definitely not defending their decisions or the way the fanbase acts. I'm just saying how it is since I can't see Sega and Sonic Team ever getting themselves out of it because of how they are.

But if they did and the divide was finally gone? It'd be absolutely wonderful. <3

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, KHCast said:

I'm just saying it'd be cool if they did a level merging gimmick. Not that they need to be different worlds to do so.  Not that they're different worlds at all. (Though could be leftover desire from Gens missing the opportunity to do that)

In this case though... this game is supposedly going to have all new levels, such is the very case here with this city and this "green hill" not reusing styles from any particular past ones.  So they can't really "merge" new locations that we've never seen before as part of a Classic/Modern appeal lol.

1 minute ago, JezMM said:

In this case though... this game is supposedly going to have all new levels, such is the very case here with this city and this "green hill" not reusing styles from any particular past ones.  So they can't really "merge" new locations that we've never seen before as part of a Classic/Modern appeal lol.

Honestly, this just makes me wonder the how's and whys for Classic's existence here. If they drop him in a game with no nostalgia or relevance to his own era, and time travel isn't actual a plot device again, what's his point aside from whatever the story says? Especially if modern is once again doing 2D.

37 minutes ago, Soni said:

Essentially by doing that they'd end up in the same situation as Generations 3DS, where once Classic Sonic got the homing attack you basically just had a slower Modern Sonic. If they do this then the level design would greatly have to make up for it, but it would still just come across as Sonic Team not having enough faith in the Modern playstyle honestly. :/

7 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Wait why are people acting like Sonic Games haven't had goofy level design for years?

I don't get what you're trying to argue here.

The only thing notable here is that there's this goofy, extremely cartoony hill backdrop amidst a clearly modern city, something we have never seen before. Its either uber-realistic or cartoony environments, not both in the same game.

Sans potentially Generations, but most of the environments still fall on the realism scale.