Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

Interesting that the speed boosters don't span the entire corridor in certain spots. It's a very, very minor step away from complete automation since it means you might not hit the boosters if you don't switch lanes at the right time.

1 minute ago, Spooky Mulder said:

Interesting that the speed boosters don't span the entire corridor in certain spots. It's a very, very minor step away from complete automation since it means you might not hit the boosters if you don't switch lanes at the right time.

That's been done before in certain parts of Unleashed/Colors/Generations (Unleashed and Generations mostly). It's evident in Green Hill Act 2 on the final stretch approaching the goal ring.

I wouldn't look to much into that, personally.

• Thumbs Up 1

The speed boosters in the narrow corridors had nothing to do with the automation...it's one of those confusing game design deals. Something has to be there if you're just running straight ahead.

1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

The speed boosters in the narrow corridors had nothing to do with the automation...it's one of those confusing game design deals. Something has to be there if you're just running straight ahead.

Pretty sure they're there in case you have no more boost so that you're still going at the right speed to get through.

5 minutes ago, Marcello said:

Pretty sure they're there in case you have no more boost so that you're still going at the right speed to get through.

This... Is confusing...

You can run out of boost...

But the stages are designed to keep you at a boost speed anyways, save random jumping spots...

So why have boost if you still essentially boost?

18 minutes ago, Marcello said:

This has never been the case though...I'm pretty sure you only ever needed to "use the boost to get through" in certain situations. But in straight aways, they're only there to get through faster, but if you're boosting dash pads don't actually make you move faster.

16 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

This... Is confusing...

You can run out of boost...

But the stages are designed to keep you at a boost speed anyways, save random jumping spots...

So why have boost if you still essentially boost?

Because the Boost damages enemies, running into them face first damages you.

7 minutes ago, Scar said:

Because the Boost damages enemies, running into them face first damages you.

Then isn't not having boost and using boost pads a bad thing since they launch you into stuff haphazardly...?

I'd imagine hitting boost panels without boost a lot and being "whoops, hit an enemy" because of it.

Don't boost pads cancel out inputs for a second or two as well?

Looking at the footage again, it definitely feels more influenced by the Colours system. The boost gauge will likely take more effort to build up (I guess anyway) looking at the wisp usage.

I like that. Sonic looks like he controls differently too.

Edit: The rings also look set up so you need to quick step to collect them all. 

8 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Then isn't not having boost and using boost pads a bad thing since they launch you into stuff haphazardly...?

I'd imagine hitting boost panels without boost a lot and being "whoops, hit an enemy" because of it.

Don't boost pads cancel out inputs for a second or two as well?

They only cancel out directional inputs for like a split-second, in every game that isn't Sonic Nex Gen.

5 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Seeing as how Pubescent Sonic's gameplay is basically unchanged from Generations, I have to wonder if they'll do a better job of Prepubescent Sonic's gameplay. The physics were quite off before, and there was a lot of automation. And whatever the third style is, I wonder how it's going to be different. Fingers crossed for Menopausal Eggman.

Weird people are beginning to lurk in this thread. lol

That aside, I do wonder one thing...

Metal Sonic, will he be returning as part of Eggman's army? And if so, how could they be creative enough to keep Metal Sonic confrontations from being too Shadow like ala Generations?

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Weird people are beginning to lurk in this thread. lol

That aside, I do wonder one thing...

Metal Sonic, will he be returning as part of Eggman's army? And if so, how could they be creative enough to keep Metal Sonic confrontations from being too Shadow like ala Generations?

Blue Blood has been here way longer than you, definitely not a lurker.

So saw the gameplay and I'm willing to give it a chance. I want to see what tails is doing.

• Thumbs Up 7

13 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

They only cancel out directional inputs for like a split-second, in every game that isn't Sonic Nex Gen.

Well, it depends. I do seem to remember dash pads in more recent games that will stop you from doing anything for up to 5-10 seconds. And that's not even getting into the ones that send you into more dash pads or springs.

Speaking of which, those three launch rings or whatever in a row bothers me so much. I'm nitpicking, I know, but they could have easily just had one that sends Sonic all the way to where he needs to go. Though at least it's not as bad as, um,

1301741d82f8013181b7bce3afb14574.png

• Thumbs Up 4

12 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Seeing as how Pubescent Sonic's gameplay is basically unchanged from Generations, I have to wonder if they'll do a better job of Prepubescent Sonic's gameplay. The physics were quite off before, and there was a lot of automation. And whatever the third style is, I wonder how it's going to be different. Fingers crossed for Menopausal Eggman.

With Mania on the way, there is a lot of pressure on Sonic Team to really nail the physics for pre-pubescent Sonic this time around. As for the third playstyle, some are speculating it could be a Sonic from even further in the future; Geriatric Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, BubbleButt TV said:

With Mania on the way, there is a lot of pressure on Sonic Team to really nail the physics for pre-pubescent Sonic this time around. As for the third playstyle, some are speculating it could be a Sonic from even further in the future; Geriatric Sonic.

Oh lord, you guys are actually making this a thing. lol

I doubt they can change much about how the game plays this late in the stage unless they delay forces into late 2018 at earliest.

3 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Well, it depends. I do seem to remember dash pads in more recent games that will stop  you from doing anything for anywhere up to like, 5-10 seconds. And not just the ones that send you into more dash pads or springs or whatever, which is also kinda annoying.

Speaking of which, those three launch rings or whatever in a row bothers me so much. I'm nitpicking, I know, but they could have easily just had one that sends Sonic all the way to where he needs to go. Though at least it's not as bad as, um,

1301741d82f8013181b7bce3afb14574.png

Yeah, but it seems like if there's ever a dash pad that literally takes control away from the player, that section would've been completely scripted to begin with. Except the game designers place a dash pad there launching you into the automation. That never happened before the days of Unleashed...

6 minutes ago, Tails spin said:

Blue Blood has been here way longer than you, definitely not a lurker.

So saw the gameplay and I'm willing to give it a chance. I want to see what tails is doing.

Wasn't trying to insult, it was a joke.

Probably busy being the Omochao/Tikal/Navi of the game.

26 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

I think the third gameplay style is going to be Mid-life Crisis Sonic. If it isn't Boom Jock Sonic (please SEGA, fucking PLEASE) then it might be an altogether new gameplay style Sonic Team want to purse and gauge interest for.

EDIT:

Also, fuckin' hell this game looks pretty. As I've said before somewhere, half my anticipation is the visuals. A more refined take on Unleashed's art style is basically all I ever wanted. Also framerate looks rock fucking solid. Please be 60fps.

That having been said, that one bit you run through where you see the Egg Sentinels looks oh so familiar to Rooftop Run Day from Unleashed.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think the third gameplay style could be similar to Sonic Boom RoL (Without the shitty elements).

8 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

I also have to admit it feels really good to finally have a Sonic game that looks both aesthetically and technically more accomplished than Unleashed did.

Its so so damn pretty. 

Its bright and colourful despite the catastrophe taking place. Nothing has lost its saturation and everything has a lovely pop. The sort of sunset/dusk light gives everything a very pleasing warmth and the enhanced lighting in the Hedgehog Engine II is on fucking point. Add to that the fact that the city itself is built on top of the layered checker-boardy soil mixes in the perfect fusion of what's considered to be traditionally Sonic and the more modern "realistic" look from Unleashed. Makes sense too, civilisations build their shit on top of the natural world, so why wouldn't they build their stuff on the weird geography of the Sonic universe. Its these small details that make it so great.

I literally cannot wait to see what the rest of it looks like.

• Thumbs Up 9

6 minutes ago, Scar said:

Its so so damn pretty. 

Its bright and colourful despite the catastrophe taking place. Nothing has lost its saturation and everything has a lovely pop. The sort of sunset/dusk light gives everything a very pleasing warmth and the enhanced lighting in the Hedgehog Engine II is on fucking point. Add to that the fact that the city itself is built on top of the layered checker-boardy soil mixes in the perfect fusion of what's considered to be traditionally Sonic and the more modern "realistic" look from Unleashed. Makes sense too, civilisations build their shit on top of the natural world, so why wouldn't they build their stuff on the weird geography of the Sonic universe. Its these small details that make it so great.

I literally cannot wait to see what the rest of it looks like.

I agree that this looks beautiful. Like they took the best parts of Colision Chaos past and Rooftop Run and welded them with loads and loads of testerostone and HD. 

1 hour ago, Tracker_TD said:

Someone's made a 'complete' trailer for the game. It's really nifty!

Sonic going through the dash rings being timed to the music is great in particular.

Last time I heard a theme song like this was way back in Sonic Unleashed, fully approve of this tune. Keen to hear who is behind the score and what else they have cooked up for us.

Anyone else suspicious at the lack of coverage for Classic Sonic? Like they're trying to build suspense through silence before they reveal that Sonic Team did indeed listen to feedback from Generations? Don't even think Mania's current presence is the reason for it either, as Sega would happily show games featuring him, as shown at the party last July.

• Thumbs Up 2