Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

2 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

Someone's made a 'complete' trailer for the game. It's really nifty!

Sonic going through the dash rings being timed to the music is great in particular.

This is it.

This is the song I'm gonna use in a super cheesy AMV one day.

(it is really extremely good just sayin)

Heeeyyy... Here's an ominous thought...

The theme of the game is pretty much rock centric, then ends on a really somber note...

What if the game is actually about Modern Sonic in the throws of death, recapping how it happened in his mind just before dying?

We play through the game, then once we finish, he dies.

Just now, Chris Knopps said:

Heeeyyy... Here's an ominous thought...

The theme of the game is pretty much rock centric, then ends on a really somber note...

What if the game is actually about Modern Sonic in the throws of death, recapping how it happened in his mind just before dying?

We play through the game, then once we finish, he dies.

hahahahaha no

The attempts at axing off Sonic have been stupid and laughable, well only the one attempt (Rise of Lyric made it look like Sonic died but nah, it was just a ruse). 

• Thumbs Up 6

3 minutes ago, Soni said:

hahahahaha no

The attempts at axing off Sonic have been stupid and laughable, well only the one attempt (Rise of Lyric made it look like Sonic died but nah, it was just a ruse). 

No, seriously, think about it.

By trying to save the world, and/or save Sonic in the process, WE kill Sonic.

Sounds familiar in many ways, eh?

That's not to say he has to STAY dead. Could pull some Generations miracle, both versions pretty much died there then the emeralds said -POOF- Nope.

(Edit)

I'd imagine every organ and most bones were splattered in that moment.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's dumb. Don't kill off a character unless you're willing to commit.

The point of offing someone in your story isn't "THEY'RE DEAD THAT'S SAD OH NO", it's to change the way the story works, when a character that was once a force in the plot now isn't, and seeing other characters have to deal with that fact. If you're just going to magically resurrect the character later, it means that death was meaningless, and actively removes dramatic tension with the idea that if it can be done once, it can be done again. This is the problem with half of all anime and comics ever written, and it's something that should be 110% avoided unless you have extreme talent and care on your team, which Sonic Team does not

• Thumbs Up 8

2 minutes ago, Shaddy the guy said:

That's dumb. Don't kill off a character unless you're willing to commit.

The point of offing someone in your story isn't "THEY'RE DEAD THAT'S SAD OH NO", it's to change the way the story works, when a character that was once a force in the plot now isn't, and seeing other characters have to deal with that fact. If you're just going to magically resurrect the character later, it means that death was meaningless, and actively removes dramatic tension with the idea that if it can be done once, it can be done again. This is the problem with half of all anime and comics ever written, and it's something that should be 110% avoided unless you have extreme talent and care on your team, which Sonic Team does not

Well, they do it all the time anyways, at least this way it's unique in its own way.

Just now, Chris Knopps said:

Well, they do it all the time anyways, at least this way it's unique in its own way.

Or they could just not make a stupid fucking story decision in the first place and won't worry about whether it's "unique".

It's like saying "I'm jumping off a bridge, but I did it wearing a 'Ron Paul 2008' shirt and an assless fursuit so that makes it okay."

• Thumbs Up 7

Just now, Shaddy the guy said:

Or they could just not make a stupid fucking story decision in the first place and won't worry about whether it's "unique".

It's like saying "I'm jumping off a bridge, but I did it wearing a 'Ron Paul 2008' shirt and an assless fursuit so that makes it okay."

F-bomb not really necessary there.

I actually DO think they should worry about the story being unique for a change instead of bare bones and/or generic.

Actually sounds pretty cool.

At first I was a bit bummed that they're not going to expand upon the Lost World formula but after seeing the gameplay that doesn't bother me anymore. I understand why they went back to the boost considering how praised Colors and Generations were(at the time) and so far I'm interested in this game. It still sucks that Modern is still going to have 2D sections despite classic being there and the older cast are NPC's AGAIN but oh I've pretty much come to accept the fact that it's a Sonic only show(in a mainline Sonic Team made game) for the last 10 plus years and this seems like it has no signs of slowing down. On the bright side at least there's characters speaking to Sonic throughout the level a feature that liked in the previous games hopefully it's not as annoying as time eater and Heroes. 

I'm probably in the minority here but I don't mind the wisp returning I mean they did say that they're going to be a standard in future games. Just as long as they were implanted in the way they were in Colors instead of Lost World. My only issue with Wisp returning is that they're going to be used as a boost making the rings obsolete again. 

Visually this game looks great, about time we finally have a game that surpasses Unleashed in the graphics department. And that theme song sounds great I can't wait to hear the rest of it. Dumb name aside it feels good to be interested in another Sonic Team made game again. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe Modern Sonic dies but Classic Sonic lives and intentionally goes a different route in life to create a new outcome and timeline where he lives and becomes a different older Sonic that ends up being the 3rd character...?

NAH! That's silly! That wouldn't happen. Not unless that ends up being the hidden truth behind Boom Sonic's origins and why his world is so different. XD

...Wait. Dumb or not that could actually work.

9 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

F-bomb not really necessary there.

I swear all the time for everything. Words are just words.

I actually DO think they should worry about the story being unique for a change instead of bare bones and/or generic.

Or they could worry about making the story good first, or the rest of the game that people actually care about, for that matter. Only get creative once you can be assured you're not going to mess it up. It's the same system of logic that probably produced this game in the first place, since the Boost system of gameplay actually works, and they need to get Sonic back on track and consistent in that department before they start majorly playing around with how the core mechanics work.

Actually sounds pretty cool.

You're advocating for a situation I intentionally made sound stupid and suicidal just to prove your own point, and I don't appreciate that. Take things seriously if you're planning to actually have a point here, because it sounds like you're intentionally ignoring the logic of storywriting just so you can keep moving forward with your own idea.

4 minutes ago, Psychicmoose103 said:

If there are 5-6 heavies, this gives us 5-6 new stages + an eggman base and super sonic level. So a total of 7-8 new zones ( unless you don't get the super battle). So given the 40:60 ratio, If we just say 7, I'd say we are going to get around 9 reimagined classics, for a total of 16 zones. We know the game is longer than generations, but many are comparing the zones directly. You had to do 3 challenges, 1 rival battle and a separate boss to beat a set. Which means the total game time has more than just 2 acts. So for Mania to excede this length, with no challenges, rival battles, hub world or super at levels for bosses, it would need to defintally have at least over 10 zones. Since this game is a successor to 3&K, I am defintally expecting 14 zones at the least.

Bruh I think you might have posted in the wrong thread

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Shaddy the guy said:

I swear all the time for everything. Words are just words.

Or they could worry about making the story good first, or the rest of the game that people actually care about, for that matter. Only get creative once you can be assured you're not going to mess it up. It's the same system of logic that probably produced this game in the first place, since the Boost system of gameplay actually works, and they need to get Sonic back on track and consistent in that department before they start majorly playing around with how the core mechanics work.

You're advocating for a situation I intentionally made sound stupid and suicidal just to prove your own point, and I don't appreciate that. Take things seriously if you're planning to actually have a point here, because it sounds like you're intentionally ignoring the logic of storywriting just so you can keep moving forward with your own idea.

Bruh I think you might have posted in the wrong thread

I actually thought that legitimately sounded cool/interesting so no reason to knock me for it, shows you've got creativity.

2 minutes ago, Maxtiis said:

In Gens Sonic's boost would dissipate immediately after using it in the air, on the ground he could continue boosting after jumping but his aerial speed cap would noticeably slow him down until he landed and continued running. So Sonic being able to keep his momentum after boosting by flip-jumping certainly seems new.

If it is something taken from Lost World at least it shows Sonic Team is willing to take a mechanic from a game with a divisive gameplay style and give it some merit by utilizing it in a way that better benefits the player.

On the topic of his boost, I'd like to point out the new effects, looks tight.

So I just got home from work and I went on here and the first thing I saw was "Chaotix" and "Sonic Forces" and my heart started doing gymnastics! I'm all fucking sweaty right now and I haven't done jackshit other than read a headline at my computer.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH~!

HAS FORTUNE SMILED DOWN UPON ME! 

THANK YOU WHOEVER'S UP THERE!

GALACTUS I ASSUME!

• Thumbs Up 9

7 minutes ago, Shaddy the guy said:

OjN1w6z.gif

I'm a weird person. Most will learn this as time goes on, but I think that keeps things interesting in its own way.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Chaotix said:

So I just got home from work and I went on here and the first thing I saw was "Chaotix" and "Sonic Forces" and my heart started doing gymnastics! I'm all fucking sweaty right now and I haven't done jackshit other than read a headline at my computer.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH~!

HAS FORTUNE SMILED DOWN UPON ME! 

THANK YOU WHOEVER'S UP THERE!

GALACTUS I ASSUME!

How coincidental, I managed to snag a copy of Knuckles' Chaotix at a local game store today for pretty cheap as far as this game goes. I'm looking forward to standing it on my shelf next to Sonic Mania collector's edition and Sonic Forces later this year.

7 minutes ago, Maxtiis said:

How coincidental, I managed to snag a copy of Knuckles' Chaotix at a local game store today for pretty cheap as far as this game goes. I'm looking forward to standing it on my shelf next to Sonic Mania collector's edition and Sonic Forces later this year.

Unfortunately I won't be standing anything on my shelf. I've gone all digital since the Wii U.

Games tend to load better and the performance improves in general when the game is downloaded.

(Edit)

Anybody notice the Sonic Forces logo actually bleeds when it appears?

The main theme is really uplifting, but it ends in a very melancolic, even tragic and misterious way, it strikes me a feeling of despair and lost. Wonder how the lyrics are going to work out with it. In fact, this piece of music gave me more hype for this game than the gameplay itself, the music factor is very important when it comes to games to me. As for the level's music, it definitely has the same sound direction of Sonic Runners, and let me tell ya, those work like magic with the boost gameplay. I used to play them over the Unleashed day-time stages music and oh boy, it's lit.

I also would like to express my appreciation for Tomoya Ohtani, the guy is very versatile. Amazing how he can do such "butt-rock" pieces, but also stuff like the Unleashed soundtrack and even the Knuckles themes from SA2. Although, I'm also concerned about he being again the sole composer. Not because I think he can't make it, but I don't want SEGA to dry out the man! One can only create so much. I don't know what is happening lately, the main line games always had a huge team of composers, why is SEGA only using Ohtani? They have GREAT composers, and I mean REALLY great, and they all work together best. Naofumi Hataya, Kenichi Tokoi, Fumie Kumatani, Mariko Nanba and of course, our old friend Jun, are just a few. Both Naofumi Hataya and Jun Senoue composed a single track for Lost World, Sugar Lane (Dessert Ruins Zone) and Tornado Time! (Hidden World Zone 2). Wonder why only these?

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, Jango said:

The main theme is really uplifting, but it ends in a very melancolic, even tragic and misterious way, it strikes me a feeling of despair and lost. Wonder how the lyrics are going to work out with it. In fact, this piece of music gave me more hype for this game than the gameplay itself, the music factor is very important when it comes to games to me. As for the level's music, it definitely has the same sound direction of Sonic Runners, and let me tell ya, those work like magic with the boost gameplay. I used to play them over the Unleashed day-time stages music and oh boy, it's lit.

I also would like to express my appreciation for Tomoya Ohtani, the guy is very versatile. Amazing how he can do such "butt-rock" pieces, but also stuff like the Unleashed soundtrack and even the Knuckles themes from SA2. Although, I'm also concerned about he being again the sole composer. Not because I think he can't make it, but I don't want SEGA to dry out the man! One can only create so much. I don't know what is happening lately, the main line games always had a huge team of composers, why is SEGA only using Ohtani? They have GREAT composers, and I mean REALLY great, and they all work together best. Naofumi Hataya, Kenichi Tokoi, Fumie Kumatani, Mariko Nanba and of course, our old friend Jun, are just a few. Both Naofumi Hataya and Jun Senoue composed a single track in Lost World, Sugar Lane (Dessert Ruins Zone) and Tornado Time! (Hidden World Zone 2).

Broke as far as game production goes. They've probably stripped Sonic development to the bare minimum while transferring assets to other lucrative fields.

Can't hire folks if a company won't budget for it.

3 hours ago, Marcello said:

Pretty sure they're there in case you have no more boost so that you're still going at the right speed to get through.

Not really, it's just something to make an easy level more engaging.  A way to reward careful quickstepping with more speed as oppose to punishing poor quickstepping with damage/death.

2 hours ago, Celestia said:

Well, it depends. I do seem to remember dash pads in more recent games that will stop you from doing anything for up to 5-10 seconds. And that's not even getting into the ones that send you into more dash pads or springs.

Speaking of which, those three launch rings or whatever in a row bothers me so much. I'm nitpicking, I know, but they could have easily just had one that sends Sonic all the way to where he needs to go. Though at least it's not as bad as, um,

1301741d82f8013181b7bce3afb14574.png

I think the reason they do this is because GENERALLY springs and dash rings have a fixed distance they fling you - rather than have it so you never know whether a spring or dash ring is gonna be a normal one that you choose to go through or a scripted one that'll fling you across a cinematic path without warning, they string them together to make a forced path so the thing that they do is always consistent.

It probably helps speed along the development for "mini" cinematic moments too, they can literally plonk these pre-programmed objects into the level and know what they'll do, as oppose to having to program a flight path manually for every single "we need to get Sonic to a new area and present a nice view of it before he lands" moment.  Which frees up time for making the REALLY cool moments which do require special unique scripting.

EDIT: OH also having a row of them like this also provides multiple entry points for the player, which can be important if the stage isn't scripted to fling you into it like in the Forces footage.

36 minutes ago, Jango said:

I also would like to express my appreciation for Tomoya Ohtani, the guy is very versatile. Amazing how he can do such "butt-rock" pieces, but also stuff like the Unleashed soundtrack and even the Knuckles themes from SA2. Although, I'm also concerned about he being again the sole composer. Not because I think he can't make it, but I don't want SEGA to dry out the man! One can only create so much. I don't know what is happening lately, the main line games always had a huge team of composers, why is SEGA only using Ohtani? They have GREAT composers, and I mean REALLY great, and they all work together best. Naofumi Hataya, Kenichi Tokoi, Fumie Kumatani, Mariko Nanba and of course, our old friend Jun, are just a few. Both Naofumi Hataya and Jun Senoue composed a single track in Lost World, Sugar Lane (Dessert Ruins Zone) and Tornado Time! (Hidden World Zone 2).

Him being the sole composer of Runners was likely a one-off because it was a mobile game and he only composed 40 minutes of music for the entire game.  Not a huge task for someone well-versed in creating a significant amount of music to a deadline.  I do think he got stretched a bit thin on Lost World so I hope it isn't the same case here, but honestly he really seems to be pushing this musical style that was fleshed out in Runners, and if he's confident in giving the goods for every main stage then go ahead and let the guy at it.

To be honest, Generations soundtrack - while amazing - had a serious identity crisis due to the massive amount of different styles from different contributors.  Of course, it worked just fine for that game because all the scenes came from an equally wild assortment of sources.  But I wouldn't want that kind of inconsistency in a game with a consistent tone.  As said it was forgivable in Generations but it does still bother me the way we had some Zones with full blown remixes for both acts and some where one at or the other was just a kind of light remake/remaster (or some zones where I feel the musician might've been a little too precious about the original songs and didn't remix EITHER act cough Jun cough Emerald Coast cough).

Hell, it already kinda bothered me in Colours how some Zones had a significantly different feel for all three acts (Sweet Mountain, Planet Wisp, Aquarium Park) while others went for this style where Act 1 was the main theme, Act 2 was a totally different quirky take on it, then Act 3 was more of a slightly altered "reprise" of Act 1 rather than a full remix (Tropical Resort, Starlight Carnival, Asteroid Coaster).

Oh and as someone who was always a fan of her work in particular and monitored (and lamented) this closely: I don't think Fumie is with SEGA anymore.  Her last game was Sonic Colours where she was apparently demoted to doing the boring cartooney cut-scene music and nothing more. Sonic Unleashed was her last game making gameplay music.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 5

I'm loving this latest temper tantrum from Eggman here. Yeah, Black Doom can blow shit up too but Eggman knows how to do it with charm. 

That sounds like it doesn't make any sense but it does. Even when he's blowing up the neighbors he's still a charming motherfucker.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Dr. Chaotix said:

I'm loving this latest temper tantrum from Eggman here. Yeah, Black Doom can blow shit up too but Eggman knows how to do it with charm. 

That sounds like it doesn't make any sense but it does. Even when he's blowing up the neighbors he's still a charming motherfucker.

I still wonder if there's a specific plot related reason why the enemies in the modern gameplay trailer all had a silver colour scheme. I mean it's not unheard of for Eggman to move away from the red colour scheme of the Egg Pawns. I mean, the Egg Fighters in were painted blue.

With that said, the silver paint gives a slighter grander colour scheme. If Eggman has already conquered the world, or is very close to achieving that goal, these new silver enemies could represent certain 'imperial' ambitions on Eggman's part.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Kintor said:

I still wonder if there's a specific plot related reason why the enemies in the modern gameplay trailer all had a silver colour scheme. I mean it's not unheard of for Eggman to move away from the red colour scheme of the Egg Pawns. I mean, the Egg Fighters in were painted blue.

With that said, the silver paint gives a slighter grander colour scheme. If Eggman has already conquered the world, or is very close to achieving that goal, these new silver enemies could represent certain 'imperial' ambitions on Eggman's part.

Isn't the answer clear?

sonic_satam_x___2_by_butterflypenguin.pn

Let a man dream.