Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

6 minutes ago, Ayliffe said:

'Cos if he keeps hold of the emeralds there's always a chance of one o' Sonic's mates stealing them, but if he shoves 'em forward into the future they can't.

If he can't have 'em nobody can innit ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Then wouldn't it be smarter to send all of his friends through time with him instead of throwing away his best chance at total conquest? And depending on what time period he plucked Sonic from, he might undo Sonic's ever having met them, basically removing them from the equation

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

If Mania kicks the everloving shit out of Forces in the "being good" department, nobody's going to care it's "a downloadable 2D game"; because most critics have been asking for a proper return to 2D Sonic since the 3D games went to shit. 

If anything, Mania doing well will make Sonic Team look worse, because a 'mere 2D downloadable game' from an outside dev will have mopped the floor with them. And all this is assuming "it's a 2D download title" is reason to brush aside my logic in the first place, given it's a got a shiny physical CE on the way. If it gets a disc copy, then what? 

Just look at PCGamer's latest:

aRPAjzX.png

http://www.pcgamer.com/this-weeks-highs-and-lows-in-pc-gaming-3-17-2017/2/

Ugh this shit is what I hate seeing from publications. "Yeah let's completely write off 22 years of Sonic's history because everything during and afterward is shit. Nevermind that many other publishers reviewed a lot of Sonic games during this time span well, Sonic '06 happened so obviously they don't count anymore." I know that isn't what they're saying exactly but c'mon you know that's the implication this gives off. And I'm definitely not living in an episode of the Twilight Zone (if I am then where the hell is Rod Sterling to make my experience sound more interesting?).

I feel sorry for Iizuka and the rest of Sonic Team, when no matter what they try the loudest voices cry out that everything they touch is shit. If I were in their shoes I'd be a manic depressive.

And who the hell calls a level an arena?

• Thumbs Up 7

6 minutes ago, Maxtiis said:

Ugh this shit is what I hate seeing from publications. "Yeah let's completely write off 22 years of Sonic's history because everything during and afterward is shit. Nevermind that many other publishers reviewed a lot of Sonic games during this time span well, Sonic '06 happened so obviously they don't count anymore." I know that isn't what they're saying exactly but c'mon you know that's the implication this gives off. And I'm definitely not living in an episode of the Twilight Zone (if I am then where the hell is Rod Sterling to make my experience sound more interesting?).

I feel sorry for Iizuka and the rest of Sonic Team, when no matter what they try the loudest voices cry out that everything they touch is shit. If I were in their shoes I'd be a manic depressive.

And who the hell calls a level an arena?

That's a matter of knowing when to quit and refusing to leave even if/when you possibly/likely loathe your position. I'm beginning to think everyone at Sonic Team is a masochist.

I'd go into the whole "SEGA of Japan ruined everything" deal again but I've probably rambled about that more than enough for the time being so I'll just simplify it and say they've got their own mistakes to blame.

33 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Maybe it's a Breath of the Wild kind of plot...

That too is a possibility. Sonic has a history of doing the same thing Zelda is doing.

It does?

• Thumbs Up 3

39 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Sonic has a history of doing the same thing Zelda is doing.

C528JJ-U0AEdFsn.jpg

...nah, it's the opposite innit :V

• Thumbs Up 5

Oh really?

Twilight Princess and Unleashed, gonna pretend that didn't happen? A coincidence maybe but it still happened.

zelda__twilight_princess_and_sonic_unlea

Google is great.

3 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Oh really?

Twilight Princess and Unleashed, gonna pretend that didn't happen? A coincidence maybe but it still happened.

Google is great.

Are you fucking serious right now 

• Thumbs Up 3

10 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Oh really?

Google is great.

Nice of you to be so condescending.

Especially when you're using one (debatable) example to suggest that Sonic has a "history" of doing whatever Zelda does. One example doesn't correlate to a systematic problem, particularly when literally every other game in the franchise (which is a lot) has never really copied zelda at all.

Its like me having won 20 games of Overwatch and lost 1, and you claiming I have a history of losing. Yes I did in fact lose one game, but can you really say I have a history of losing.

C'mon now.

Okay, yeah, why the hell are we even talking about this? So one game has vaguely similar elements to a Zelda game (and even then a stretch I'd say), this isn't proving some long history of Sonic copying Zelda. Where the hell did that even come from, seriously? Do you just like to see our reactions to what random ideas you can pull out of your ass? 

Sonic Unleashed was already too busy ripping off God of War to rip off Twilight Princess.

...But I think it's clear that many of us have Zelda on the mind right now. It's everywhere. :V

• Thumbs Up 8

3 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Sonic has 7 Chaos Emeralds, Zelda has 7 pieces of the Triforce almost. It's a clear ripoff.

Not really. You're reading too deep into things. A couple of story lines are vaguely similiar, and the fact that they both have 7 powerful objects doesn't necessarily mean that they copied each other.

Are you suggesting that Sonic Team can' even come up with a storyline themselves without copying Zelda? Thats not true.

Just now, Sonic+Shadow+Silver=OP said:

Not really. You're reading too deep into things. A couple of story lines are vaguely similiar, and the fact that they both have 7 powerful objects doesn't necessarily mean that they copied each other.

Are you suggesting that Sonic Team can' even come up with a storyline themselves without copying Zelda? Thats not true.

I hope you're joking yourself. 

1 minute ago, Sonic+Shadow+Silver=OP said:

Please tell me you are being sarcastic.

This is what happens when SEGA only gives us 45 seconds of footage.

Marketing for Sonic Forces is already a mess. I don't expect that the entire game is going to look like this brief clip, but knowing the fandom and knowing the general public skepticism towards Sonic, this doesn't seem like the right way to unveil the game.

Sonic going in a slightly more serious plot direction for a game is fine, but I still think the original teaser was remarkably un-self-aware. It invited inevitable comparisons to one of the most universally hated games in history, and then this clip offered almost nothing new while reinforcing fan fears that it will just be more of the same hold-boost-to-win gameplay.

Sonic Forces almost certainly won't be Sonic 06 and could very well offer new exciting gameplay mechanics, but the way it's being teased is contributing to paranoia about the game instead of generating hype. I'm personally glad to see footage, but for the sake of the franchise I kind of wish they had just held off until they were ready to show us what it really is we're working with here.

• Thumbs Up 5

Just now, ShroomZed said:

I hope you're joking yourself. 

Just now, JosepMelloZSM said:

Please tell me you are being sarcastic.

Duh.

2 minutes ago, Sonic+Shadow+Silver=OP said:

Duh.

Well, I mean that was really poorly handled if it was meant to be funny. There wasn't really anything that tipped it off as not being serious, it seemed perfectly serious to me and some others. I'm not the humour police, but just saying. 

I'm really looking forward to Sonic Forces. :)

It combines key elements of Sonic Colours (Wisps) & Sonic Generations (Classic Sonic) and expands it with a brand new (yet unknown) component. Glorious!

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, ShroomZed said:

Well, I mean that was really poorly handled if it was meant to be funny. There wasn't really anything that tipped it off as not being serious, it seemed perfectly serious to me and some others. I'm not the humour police, but just saying. 

Sorry. My bad. I'l work on my humour some more if you want.

Just now, TheChris110 said:

It combines key elements of Sonic Colours (Wisps) & Sonic Generations (Classic Sonic) and expands it with a brand new (yet unknown) component. Glorious!

My favourite thing about it is the graphics.

Its AWESOME :wub:

3 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

Basically just reach the other side with my own skill, not hand holding.

Which seems reasonably possible.

It's the first fucking stage dude.  I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities to use air boosting to get over wide gaps later in the game, it's not considered a base level skill - that's why it was introduced halfway through Sonic Unleashed (and only used for optional/speedrunning routes in Generations, which was overall designed to be an easier game, seemingly).

There's also the possibility that it is a transitionary sequence - note the camera abstains from looking at the ground.  It may well be a sneaky point where they keep the visual strain on the game low so they can unload the last portion of level and load in details on the next one.

• Thumbs Up 9

2 minutes ago, TheChris110 said:

I don't think the new gameplay will be brand new, though... Maybe is Adventure styled.

"Glorious"? ... oh.