Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

5 minutes ago, E-122-Psi said:

Looking at the start of the trailer I was worried it might be Sonic Team taking critique the wrong way and going the whole opposite extreme of super dark and apocalyptic again...then Classic Sonic came and thumbed us up. :D

Hopefully this just means a balanced style that has a decent story climax.

Agreed. Honestly, while I hope we're not just playing as Sonic again maybe classic was put in there to help say "Hey, we're taking the story more seriously but this is still going to be a Sonic game at it's core."

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Balding Spider said:

Anyone else just indifferent to this teaser altogether? 

have you not read the topic???

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh, kind of uneasy about this, tbh. Maybe future trailers will change my mind, but right now I'm not too crazy about it.

Since we're spitting crazy speculation I say that this classic Sonic is not his younger self. It's either his long lost younger brother/cousin or during the time Boom Sonic was in the spot light Modern Sonic found out from Maury Povich that he was the father.

• Thumbs Up 1

There's not much to be crazy about, all this trailer showcases is the possible tone of the game...and what to expect game-play wise. It's a neat trailer, but trailers without actual game-play were never much to be excited for.

12 minutes ago, Soniman said:

have you not read the topic???

I actually tried to but for some reason my internet kept disconnecting everytime I tried going back to a previous page. Don't know what that's about. But good to know I'm not alone.

Just now, MegasonicZX said:

You know dude, people have been pretty respectful in here with discussing this stuff so it'd be nice if you not try to sell everybody short just for trying to figure out what this game is about like its some kind of cardinal sin or something.

Dont get your boxers on too tight bro. I was just saying a joke if it rubbed you the wrong way then my bad but cool it,okay

Just now, Tails spin said:

Dont get your boxers on too tight bro. I was just saying a joke if it rubbed you the wrong way then my bad but cool it,okay

Yeah, sorry hard to read emotions on the internet. My bad.

...So that Endri person hinted that whatever Sonic Team has been cooking up towards their next game it was something along the lines of it being 'totally different' or whatever? Was this the thing the person was talking about? I mean yeah best to wait til we see gameplay but if the elements we saw in the CGI is making people indicate otherwise...please correct me cuz I know I'm wrong with what I am remembering 

Also the speculation from Dr. Mechano and  Tracker is good healthy speculation. +1

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Marcello said:

I've already given reasons why I think it looks like Generations 2 and wasn't just Classic Sonic.

There's literally nothing in the trailer except a city on fire and Modern/Classic Sonic. Nothing else. Outside of that, it's just a ton of speculation. And again, it was already stated that this game is not a sequel to anything.

And, honestly, I'm glad the story seems to be taking itself seriously, but there are more important things

What "important things"? Nothing is here. We have nothing on the gameplay. All we know is that the two Sonics will meet again in some way, but we have no idea how. We don't even have anything on the graphics because the trailer wasn't in-game footage.

just because that changed doesn't mean all to much in the sense of being a brand new experience.

That makes absolutely no sense. The more serious vibes indicate that SEGA is not taking this in a similar direction from previous games. The increased action in the trailer indicated to me that this will have a lot more action. In fact, if there's anything that had to be compared to, I'd say it felt more Adventure-like than Generations.

The other things make it look like more of a retread to me.

And again, these "other things" don't exist outside of a burning city and the two Sonics. The teaser trailer is just that. A teaser.

• Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, Balding Spider said:

Anyone else just indifferent to this teaser altogether? 

Me tbh. I'm just holding out till I get more info.

33 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Let's not do this please.

The Sonic series has toyed with many different things over the years, and as a result, people in this fanbase will want different things out of the games. And Sonic's not unique to this, it's the same situation inside other franchises, though some fanbases will be more unified in their wants than others.

If you're excited for the new game and want to be positive. Fine. You do you. Don't tell other people how to feel though or shame them from doing so. Because believe it or not, some people don't care for the (implied) boost gameplay, the (seemingly) darker narrative, or the presence of classic Sonic in this particular title. (And IDK about you saying "people are pissed" about Mania; from what I've seen, most people who did want classic gameplay are absolutely stoked for that game.)

We're fans of the series, but we're not devouts.

Sonic Mania did receive a fairly large backlash when people thought it was Sonic Team's big game, some people failing to understand it wasn't even after seeing the Christian Whitehead logo.

I've also seen people call it out as being a rehash with nothing new to it. The trailer also has hundreds of dislikes (luckily, it has thousands of likes).

I was a bit disappointed to see that personally, given the context of Mania's creation especially.

Not being a sequel doesn't mean story elements from the past can't be relevant. Lots of franchises have titles that, whole not a direct sequel, still exists in the same timeline/universe and reference or use plot devices from prior entries.

• Thumbs Up 3

14 minutes ago, TCB said:

...So that Endri person hinted that whatever Sonic Team has been cooking up towards their next game it was something along the lines of it being 'totally different' or whatever? Was this the thing the person was talking about? I mean yeah best to wait tl we see gameplay but if the elements we saw in the CGI is making people indicate otherwise...please correct me cuz I knw I'm wrong with what I am remembering 

Also the speculation from Dr. Mechanical and Tracker is good healthy speculation. +1

Yeah here it is http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=32126&st=1110&p=788331&#entry788331

Endri definitely states that it does not follows Generations formula

Spoiler

and neither Lost Worlds  

• Thumbs Up 3

6 minutes ago, ChikoLad said:

Sonic Mania did receive a fairly large backlash when people thought it was Sonic Team's big game, some people failing to understand it wasn't even after seeing the Christian Whitehead logo.

I've also seen people call it out as being a rehash with nothing new to it. The trailer also has hundreds of dislikes (luckily, it has thousands of likes).

I was a bit disappointed to see that personally, given the context of Mania's creation especially.

Which is weird because you literally see a completely original stage as the first stage you see in that trailer along with a new move being cited near the end.

• Thumbs Up 5

Just now, MegasonicZX said:

Which is weird because you literally see a completely original stage as the first stage you see in that trailer along with a new move being cited near the end.

People like to complain a lot. That's the mindset given here...the first thing they think is nostalgia pandering and then they see a Green Hill stage, that's pretty much all they need. It's at least understandable to be somewhat disappointed or even a little peeved by the inclusion of  the Green Hill zone...because a game full of entirely new stages is better than both new and old.

Considering most people's reaction to Classic Sonic, I thought it made sense to revive a certain old Tumblr meme.

tumblr_oasjagVeQW1rx3ovlo1_540.gif

Just now, StaticMania said:

People like to complain a lot. That's the mindset given here...the first thing they think is nostalgia pandering and then they see a Green Hill stage, that's pretty much all they need. It's at least understandable to be somewhat disappointed or even a little peeved by the inclusion of  the Green Hill zone...because a game full of entirely new stages is better than both new and old.

That's only true if the old stages are eating away at dev time for new stages, which does not appear to be the case here. They have a good amount of new stages they want to add and are just putting in remixed old stages as a bonus since they have the time.

It's like Rayman Legends. That game had a bunch of old stages from Rayman Origins included, because the initial game got delayed a few months. They had nothing else they wanted to add as far as original levels since their game was complete when it was delayed, so they decided to revamp some old levels in the extra time they had.

• Thumbs Up 6

I do take back what i said about us not knowing much on the gameplay...because it seems the trailer did show off some moves Modern Sonic can make.

Something that caught me off gaurd, though, is that Classic Sonic seemed to be doing exactly the same thing as Modern Sonic, including homing attacks...

• Thumbs Up 6

1 minute ago, SSF1991 said:

I do take back what i said about us not knowing much on the gameplay...because it seems the trailer did show off some moves Modern Sonic can make.

Something that caught me off gaurd, though, is that Classic Sonic seemed to be doing exactly the same thing as Modern Sonic, including homing attacks...

Yeah, its interesting really because if the trailer can be used as a good indication of what they can do in the game (which for right now i'm not putting to much stock in since it is just CGI and a lot of things could just be for visual flare) then classic sonic might not strictly be "classic 2D" gameplay like generations but instead something more.

2 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

Gens 3DS gave classic the homing attack so it's nothing new. Now him doing the boost at the emd along with modern that's a different story 

Just now, ChikoLad said:

That's only true if the old stages are eating away at dev time for new stages, which does not appear to be the case here. They have a good amount of new stages they want to add and are just putting in remixed old stages as a bonus since they have the time.

Oh, I agree with you completely, but you'd be surprised at how many people don't understand that. They always think the "bonus" stuff takes up development time and sometimes it is true. Some people don't get that it's just not always the case.

It seemed like Modern Sonic is doing more things too, but this is all pure speculation.

Either way, it's too hard to tell. I'd rather see some actual gameplay first.