Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

Agreed, a nerfed Heroes would satisfy me a lot, I like the idea of a character following Sonic (call me nostalgic, but it was like that since Sonic 2, I've got used to it). It could work in Forces, unless they make Tails/Knuckles and the rest freaking slow like Heroes. Give everybody the ability to boost, I don't think people will die because of it. Or, at least have all the SAME running speed. That would be a resistence, not Sonic running alone listening to his friends on the radio :/

• Thumbs Up 3

Seriously? What Sonic Forces showed us until now is the best thing we could've get for 2017!

Almost all of us wanted a darker tone for the game. We wanted more characters aside from Sonic and Tails appearing and participating in the Story. We'll have this.

And also, we got a different thing: the third gameplay style. We will likely play as some other character, ok?! Maybe isn't knuckles or tails, but hell, IT IS SOMETHING ELSE ALREADY, RIGHT? 

Dude, even if it is a pos-apocaliptic version of Sonic, he'll come with a different gameplay from Modern and Classic Sonic. It's already something to be pretty happy with, specially if you wanted some innovation after all those Boost gameplay games. *sigh* 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Josh said:

I..don't think you guys want that. Like, it sounds preferable to the wisps on paper, but overall it's asking for a completely different thing and you might as well just let people play as them if you're gonna go that route. 

For me, I'd rather it be all or nothing. 

As someone who's not really hoping for more playable characters, I'm not going to speak for the people who do, but I wouldn't mind something like that. Done right, it could feel like an expansion of the "Sonic and Tails" option in 3&K, but with more partners to choose from and the airlift (and other teamup abilities) being more integrated into the gameplay rather than just a rarely-used curiosity.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

As someone who's not really hoping for more playable characters, I'm not going to speak for the people who do, but I wouldn't mind something like that. Done right, it could feel like an expansion of the "Sonic and Tails" option in 3&K, but with more partners to choose from and the airlift (and other teamup abilities) being more integrated into the gameplay rather than just a rarely-used curiosity.

So like a slightly less...uh...involved(?)...Sonic Adv. 3 mechanics? Whichever sidekick you choose can add their own abilities to the mix. It would need to be done really carefully and well. Before that I'd want to have sorted the basic gameplay for both Sonic and any additional characters.

The ideal would be somewhere between Heroes and non-boosting generations for speed, but with a smoother acceleration curve (that is of course physics dependant) so you don't feel so slippery and...well...bad. I say this because I'd prefer Sonic to be able to go faster than he could in SA1 or 2.

I think they might have accidentally confirmed than Jun is working on Sonic Forces on the twitch stream.

If not... there is another project we don't yet know about.

• Thumbs Up 9

7 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

I think they might have accidentally confirmed than Jun is working on Sonic Forces on the twitch stream.

It was already alluded to by Jun's Twitter, to the point of being practically confirmed anyway. Ohtani is the sound director for Forces, and Jun is likely another contributing artist to some degree with a handful of others. Especially for the larger titles like this, it's normally a fair-sized team of musicians who collaborate to create the soundtrack (with Lost World being a weird exception). 

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

I missed it. Is there anywhere where I can see it at?

I mean, how can we not have those sick guitar riffs without Jun.

And I'm sure Jun is involved in Forces but Ohtani is the leader of composing the music for the game.

Jun: Zebrahead for Forces!

... ... I do not know if that was an accidental confirmation or not!

Ok some context to that...

Jun was asked "What's your involvement in Forces" and he replied along these lines.

"When Ohtani makes music in Sonic 06, Colours, Unleashed, I get asked to find the singers for songs."

He then started listing singers for games and said "Zebrahead for Forces" and started listing singers/bands for other games. 

So either way, Juns involvement seems to be that he is talent scouting for the vocals for the main title theme.

• Thumbs Up 9

So Senoue's contribution to Ohtani's music is that he finds the vocalists for the games so it was him that we got Cash Cash for Reach for the Stars, Zebrahead for His World and Bowling for Soup for Endless Possibility.

• Thumbs Up 5

Ohtani mentioned how the music for the city level we saw in that gameplay teaser is done so we could see a sample on the YouTube channel in the future.

2 hours ago, Mayor D said:

Jun: Zebrahead for Forces!

... ... I do not know if that was an accidental confirmation or not!

Ok some context to that...

Jun was asked "What's your involvement in Forces" and he replied along these lines.

"When Ohtani makes music in Sonic 06, Colours, Unleashed, I get asked to find the singers for songs."

He then started listing singers for games and said "Zebrahead for Forces" and started listing singers/bands for other games. 

So either way, Juns involvement seems to be that he is talent scouting for the vocals for the main title theme.

I'm pretty sure he said "Zebrahead for 06".  I can see how that can be misheard though, "for-ces", "oh-six", especially with his Japanese accent.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, JaidynReiman said:

If they were going to do that, you'd think they'd, oh I don't know... actually cut out those characters instead of bringing them back over and over.

To be fair, they could just no respect the audience who wants them enough to make them anything important, but desire the money that audience has. And that might sound cynical, but the last time I got to play as shadow in a video game, I had to literally gamble in a cellphone game or pay an exorbitant amount of money in a cell phone game. 

Not saying they are, they could just be cynical as all hell and only want your money. 

21 hours ago, JaidynReiman said:

Personally, I hate this idea anyway. Utilize the cast you have. They barely show up as is, but they still show up enough to show that they still exist. And its not like they bring back all the massive amounts of characters they'd introduced over the years. The characters they bring back tend to just be Eggman and the Heroes teams, and even then Big and Omega are absent more often than not.

I feel you 

They all appeared even in Colors DS. Then in Generations, and now in Forces. And its not like they've been absent from "side" games, either. They've been in all the Olympics titles and most spinoffs, barring the Sonic Boom side series that started recently.

Outside of generations, they have been used to sell for the most part not good spin off titles, make you gamble in mobile games, and in the case of shadow try and make you engage with sonic boom to a degree. So they have been absent from things people actively wish to engage with, and generations and the racing games, the only non classic characters that got into the racing games were big and shadow, and big got removed in the 2nd game. 

So To be quite honest I don't fault someone for thinking that way. 

I can totally understanding the thought that sega wan't to just get rid characters, they haven't really shown us other wise and the CEO's statements don't help. 

I personally I don't think they want to get rid of them, but I can't fault someone for doing so. 

11 hours ago, Cakito said:

Seriously? What Sonic Forces showed us until now is the best thing we could've get for 2017!

Almost all of us wanted a darker tone for the game. We wanted more characters aside from Sonic and Tails appearing and participating in the Story. We'll have this.

And also, we got a different thing: the third gameplay style. We will likely play as some other character, ok?! Maybe isn't knuckles or tails, but hell, IT IS SOMETHING ELSE ALREADY, RIGHT? 

Dude, even if it is a pos-apocaliptic version of Sonic, he'll come with a different gameplay from Modern and Classic Sonic. It's already something to be pretty happy with, specially if you wanted some innovation after all those Boost gameplay games. *sigh* 

Honestly, what I've been waiting to see for years is 'Sonic Generations 2'; it's certainly taken a lot longer than I expected but I'm glad Sega and Sonic Team are finally following the right path. In fact, I want the boost gameplay to stay forever, to serve as the foundation for all future 3D Sonic games going forward. It's the only logical solution to ensure the continued survival of the Sonic franchise as a whole.

These past six years of experimentation have cost the Sonic franchise dearly, another disaster like Lost World or worse still an abomination like Sonic Boom and we might not have a Sonic franchise for much longer. Few franchises get a second chance after a bad game, let alone two high profile failures in a row. Yet the Sonic franchise has through tooth and claw endured these past six years, now with Sonic Forces there is a real chance at redemption.

I mean, I don't expect Sonic Forces to solve all the Sonic franchise’s problems but the success of this game will be the first serious step towards ensuring stability. The boost gameplay works, it's relatively popular among Sonic fans  and widely accepted by the gaming community at large. The next important step now it to lock-in the boost as an essential and definitive part of 3D Sonic games. With this foundation in place Sonic Team can then innovate further with the boost gameplay. The Sonic franchise can at last flourish creatively, with better level designs and multiple playable characters; all based around the proven boost mechanics.

• Thumbs Up 1

On a second thought, what do you think about the possibility of Classic Sonic having a 3D gameplay too?

I'm gonna consider 2 things:

- Mania will cover Classic 2D gameplay in the best way possible

- We've seen Classic Sonic having a sort of upgrade in the end of Generations, it seems he have learnt how do homing attack.

maybe Classic Sonic 3D will explore a more Adventure like gameplay with the use of spin dash and a proper phisics this time around.

This is pure speculation, but the statement of the japanese producer  (don't remember the name) suggesting we might change our minds soon about the game seems to lead to a key gameplay that fans are waiting. I am more than sure that Sonic Team is aware of all those fans asking for an Adventure style gameplay

then it would also make sense the third gameplay being something entirely different like Eggman. I was also thinking about something absurd like NiGHTS, considering the setting and the fact they gave us NiGHTS DLC in Lost World...

it is hard to pick up a third entry when you already have Sonic and Classic Sonic

• Thumbs Up 2

I tried to get a scoop as to if Nika Futterman is involved in Forces and... she dodged the question.

I asked her again without the compliment, but I don't want to insist too much.

So, I've been thinking about the possibility of other characters being playable in some capacity. Namely, what if you can play as other Classic and Modern characters later on in the game?

For example, in the Classic stages, you could possibly unlock a playable Classic Tails and Knuckles, complete with their original abilities. (Sure, Tails and Knux are already confirmed as NPCs, but that could just mean their Modern selves aren't playable.)

While for the Modern/Boost gameplay, perhaps you can play as Shadow, Blaze or Metal Sonic. Each 'Boost' character could have slight differences in how they control. Using Metal Sonic as an example, maybe he could have a longer-lasting Boost gauge than Sonic's, as well as better speed/acceleration, but has less traction and can't use Wisps (depending on how involved the Wisps become in the stages).

Can't say anything for Gameplay Style #3 since we don't know what it is yet, but it could also have potential extra character choices.

Granted, it's more than likely that none of these things could happen. But hey, I just like to brainstorm.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm very pretty sure Sonic Team definitely WANT to progressively give more use to the other characters at this point, despite most people's shattered expectations on the matter. It started with Lost World, in which there is a lot more character interaction than in previous games (from Unleashed to Generations), even if Amy and especially Knux didn't get to say much. Then we have Sonic Runners, where we see the main trio -including Knux!- actually working together for the first time in eons, and some side stories use other, minor characters arguably with better characterization than in the SA2-06 era. And now, the main heads behind Sonic Forces are putting focus into the story and characters come alongside a meaty story, even Othani said that the main theme of the game is about friendship! And the Chaotix of all people will be appearing!

Long story short: they WANT to use the other characters more, but are held back by IMO unreasonable public opinion.

• Thumbs Up 7