Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

2 hours ago, Cakito said:

How would you all feel if Classic Sonic isn't actually a real sonic, but rather some kind of a Good Metal Sonic made by Tails or someone?

(This also makes me wonder about Metal Sonic being playable, since they said there won't be any character aside sonic being playable but still we have a 3rd gameplay style hidden in mystery. And, well, Metal Sonic is also Sonic, in a way...)

As awesome as that sounds, I doubt that would be the case. Metal was never one for disguising as a hero, even in Heroes. He is my second top antagonist next  Eggman, so there could be a chance of returning, as Sonic said to let him know for a rematch at the end of Heroes

2 minutes ago, Joellui said:

Or, or make it more like Shadow the Hedgehog? Something like you don't necessarily control them (although you could've of you had a second controller), but they're doing something along side you. 

Cause even though you couldn't play SHTH side characters, it was at least nice to know that they were besides you DOING SOMETHING.

Or maybe I'm making my old 11 year old fantasies run a muck.

You know I might be over analyzing it, but you do hear a slight bit of "I Am, All of Me" and "Seaside Hill" in the theme of the game, so I don't know, maybe that's hinting at something? I don't know, I just want the characters have a freaking role for once, dang it.

5 minutes ago, Blue Speedster said:

As awesome as that sounds, I doubt that would be the case. Metal was never one for disguising as a hero, even in Heroes. He is my second top antagonist next  Eggman, so there could be a chance of returning, as Sonic said to let him know for a rematch at the end of Heroes

I used "Good Metal Sonic" just for you to picture the idea, but I was talking something more about Classic Sonic actually being a regular robot created by Tails.

1 minute ago, Cakito said:

I used "Good Metal Sonic" just for you to picture the idea, but I was talking something more about Classic Sonic actually being a regular robot created by Tails.

That would be rather interesting. But I'm not sure how that would work and I don't think Sega is that gutsy.

5 minutes ago, Cakito said:

Ooooh, right. Yeah, that could be a possibility as the regular Classic Sonic was seen going back to the past at the end of Generations. Tails has done this before with T-pup in the comics. 

37 minutes ago, blazefan519 said:

Soooooooooo, Heroes then?

More RoL than Heroes, (hence the pain :'[ ) but yeah, basically the same idea.

Heroes just felt like it was too... Passive in its use of teammates? Like it never really felt like they did anything besides run alongside you like ammo, and their gameplay is only justified with the sake of their three second abilities, rather than because they're a full, unique character. Makes them feel more like static gameplay tools outside of the dialog, that help the main character out from time to time because the game says they should, occasionally.

But, Heroes' formula is still preferable to this, I guess. Just not the best example that could be learned from, imo. The examples above, for example, sound waaaaaay cooler in comparison

17 minutes ago, blazefan519 said:

That would be rather interesting. But I'm not sure how that would work and I don't think Sega is that gutsy.

Yet Sonic was onrails and used a sword. I think gutsy flew out the window, xD. If anything, the robot idea does seem plausible 

Just now, Blue Speedster said:

Yet Sonic was onrails and used a sword. I think gutsy flew out the window, xD. If anything, the robot idea does seem plausible 

That was before Lost World and Boom, besides, using a sword increases your range and gives you a lot more tools to use. I don't see why people think that him using a sword is outlandish.

35 minutes ago, Blue Speedster said:

Didn't Metal work with Shadow in one of the Rivals games?

Regardless, if they go off of his characterization in Heroes then Metal wants to rule the world for himself. That means he's going to oppose whoever is currently in charge (in this case Eggman), be it independently or as part of a temporary alliance with the heroes.

Alternatively, you could just play as Metal while he's working for Eggman. It's not as though the series has never let you play the villain before.

Just now, Bowbowis said:

Didn't Metal work with Shadow in one of the Rivals games?

Regardless, if they go off of his characterization in Heroes then Metal wants to rule the world for himself. That means he's going to oppose whoever is currently in charge (in this case Eggman) either independently or as part of a temporary alliance with the heroes.

Alternatively, you could just play as Metal while he's working for Eggman. It's not as though the series has never let you play the villain before.

Yeah, he was Shadow's "partner" in Rivals 2 (I was one of the few who actually owned the PSP and played that game). It'd be interesting to see how Metal will be characterized (if he's even in it) in this game.

7 minutes ago, blazefan519 said:

That was before Lost World and Boom, besides, using a sword increases your range and gives you a lot more tools to use. I don't see why people think that him using a sword is outlandish.

Because he's a superfast living buzzsaw. Weapons of any sort have never been his deal because his physical skills are already plenty.

Just now, Diogenes said:

Because he's a superfast living buzzsaw. Weapons of any sort have never been his deal because his physical skills are already plenty.

In Black Knight, he was kinda forced to use it, so he had no choice. And, yes, while he has plenty of skills, he obtained even more through the use of Caliburn.

Sonic's only forced to use what the developers decide for him to use. It was their choice to make a game where Sonic was forced to use a weapon despite it not fitting his style or abilities.

• Thumbs Up 7

Sonic may be a buzzsaw in the most basic sense during normal Sonic games, but you gotta admit that buzzsawing enemies with a sword for near miles, lightning-fast, is way cooler in execution, no matter how dumb it may seem

But then most don't even bother trying to learn the move in the game so

Wait why are we talking about BK now?

• Thumbs Up 2

I think it's pretty lame to be honest. I prefer Sonic using his unique abilities and traits over the most boring weapon.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

I think it's pretty lame to be honest. I prefer Sonic using his unique abilities and traits over the most boring weapon.

I don't see how it's boring, but you do you. Anyways, let's not talk about Black Knight anymore, that's weird.

• Thumbs Up 1

Man, I'm so glad I didn't come to this thread today lol.

9 hours ago, Soniman said:

But most critics don't remember or don't care about the silly stuff even when it sucks while the serious bad stuff is immortalized.

So if this serious attempt at a story turns into another meme fest of bad writing I won't exactly be shedding tears if it's back to silly stuff again.  

Because the games themselves for the latter fucking sucked; if the core game is bad, it's going to make the other bad things look much worse. While if the core game is good, it's easy to overlook the other bad parts. 

Basically, what I'm trying to say is; nobody gives a fuck about a good game with a shit story, as least as far as Sonic is concerned, while everyone is going to care about a bad game which only makes the shit narrative stand out even more. 

But for some reason, people seem to equate bad writing with with bad gameplay so whatever I guess. The plot's probably not going to be any better than what we've been getting anyway, I'm not exactly getting my hopes up whether it's as bad as pre-06 or anything post-Colors. At this point, Sonic stories fucking blow either way and I'm content to just ignore them altogether. 

Are we bitching about Sonic characters using weapons again?

Newsflash people:

Spoiler

latest?cb=20110725112935latest?cb=20090802231724latest?cb=20110331215044latest?cb=20120908164046latest?cb=20130704040921latest?cb=20100422014006latest?cb=20140720130313latest?cb=20120601212023

latest?cb=20120211102038

It was a thing long before Black Knight. Hell, it was a thing long before Shadow. Black Knight puts Sonic in a medieval fantasy world, so it's only natural that it's going to play by medieval fantasy rules. The story gives a reasonable justification for why Sonic is using the sword. It only serves to enhance his natural abilities, not detract from them. It's integrated into the gameplay well enough. It's cool, which as I recall was sort of the whole point of the series to begin with. On top of all that, it was eight years ago and even if you ignore everything else, that sword is still one of the best one-shot characters the series has ever had.

Can we please stop complaining about it now?

• Thumbs Up 7

1 hour ago, Joellui said:

Or, or make it more like Shadow the Hedgehog? Something like you don't necessarily control them (although you could've of you had a second controller), but they're doing something along side you. 

Cause even though you couldn't play SHTH side characters, it was at least nice to know that they were besides you DOING SOMETHING.

Or maybe I'm making my old 11 year old fantasies run a muck.

That does make we wonder....what if the third gameplay style is a tag-team style that's interchangeable based on characters that you choose to follow you into battle and whatnot.

1 minute ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

That does make we wonder....what if the third gameplay style is a tag-team style that's interchangeable based on characters that you choose to follow you into battle and whatnot.

Holy frick, the possibilities are freaking endless. So, it's like some weird amalgamation of Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog in a way (I find this funny because it's my favorite Sonic game (Heroes) and my least favorite (Shadow) at the same time). But that is interesting, it'll be a compromise so that way the characters can be used but without necessarily being playable.

3 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Maybe they shouldn't have made a game set in a medieval fantasy world, then. It's not as if that was forced upon them or some kind of cosmic inevitability.

Though also, I didn't see Sonic picking up a scimitar or something in SatSR, so...

Then Black Knight literally loses all of its charm and what makes it a cool game. What would Colors be without it's space theme or Unleashed without the emphasis of exploring the world? You can't just say, "Oh, let's get rid of this because weapons are dumb.", that just takes away from the experience. Sonic and the Secret Rings isn't even in a Medieval setting, it's based off of Aladin, which didn't really put an emphasis on swords unlike the Medieval period which is known for Knights and such.

• Thumbs Up 3

Again, if SatBK's worth is predicated on having Sonic do something that feels awkward and out of character, maybe they shouldn't have made the game, then? Or they could've expressed the theme in a way that didn't involve Sonic having a sword. There were plenty of other knights in the game anyway, you had no shortage of dudes in armor with swords.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Diogenes said:

Again, if SatBK's worth is predicated on having Sonic do something that feels awkward and out of character,

For a storybook spin-off, wielding a sword isn't really THAT out of character, given it's of similar circumstances to Riders where he takes on a new skill to adapt and of course beat the challengers at their own game.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Again, if SatBK's worth is predicated on having Sonic do something that feels awkward and out of character, maybe they shouldn't have made the game, then? Or they could've expressed the theme in a way that didn't involve Sonic having a sword. There were plenty of other knights in the game anyway, you had no shortage of dudes in armor with swords.

Out of character? OK? I really don't see how that was out of character for him. He was thrown in a world that desperately needed saving and if he was going to let a little pet peeve of his stop him from actually saving some people, then that'd be out of character for Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 2