Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

1 minute ago, SSF1991 said:

I do take back what i said about us not knowing much on the gameplay...because it seems the trailer did show off some moves Modern Sonic can make.

Something that caught me off gaurd, though, is that Classic Sonic seemed to be doing exactly the same thing as Modern Sonic, including homing attacks...

That's why my theory is that Classic Sonic does not represent having a completely alternative, 2D playstyle.

I believe the game will be mostly 3D with some 2D like recent games (including Lost World, so I'm not necessarily assuming we are going back to the Boost formula just yet - though it is likely). And Classic Sonic will simply have different stats as well as a unique ability to him (with Modern Sonic having one too).

And going by the "Join the Resistance" tagline, I think we will have more playable characters following that trend - be they Tails and Knuckles...or more Sonics. Like, the Werehog for example, might not run quite as fast, but has a stronger/wider attack and can use his stretchy arms to slingshot off things.

That's just speculation on my part though.

tumblr_oasjagVeQW1rx3ovlo1_540.gif

So someone recreated a tumblr meme which actually goes along with most rections to this game

• Thumbs Up 5

By that logic, it's possible that Modern Sonic can do a Spindash at will, as he does it in the trailer. I'm not very sure about speculating specific gameplay mechanics based on a CGI trailer...

2 minutes ago, Hyp3hat said:

By that logic, it's possible that Modern Sonic can do a Spindash at will, as he does it in the trailer. I'm not very sure about speculating specific gameplay mechanics based on a CGI trailer...

Well, the last mainline game did have him spindashing so........

Just now, Jovahexeon Undyne Phoenix said:

Well, the last mainline game did have him spindashing so........

I try not to think about Lost World for the benefit of my mental health (Giant Zavok, I curse thee), so my bad.

I still think that this is a bit of a fools errand though, there's not much we can glean mechanically from the trailer - you could argue Modern Sonic's primarily in 2D, as the most gameplay esque section in the trailer (him dodging the debris) is shot from that perspective, but that's most likely not the case. There's just very vague meat on those bones. 

It seems like both Modern and Classic Sonic have melded their own moves together so it's not just Modern gameplay VS Classic gameplay anymore. It seems to be one uniform gameplay style that both Sonics will use.

I wouldn't mind seeing Boom, Adventure, even Werehog Sonic show up if the gameplay at the core is the same, with slight differences to reflect each version. Thigh I'd prefer characters that aren't Sonic more. Lol

Assuming for now that both Sonics are gonna be the only playable characters, perhaps they both actually have 3D (+2.5D) gameplay. However:

- Modern Sonic plays closer to how he did in Unleashed and Generations, maybe adding elements of parkour from Lost World.

- While Classic Sonic plays similar to how Modern played in the Adventure games, spin dash and all.

I dunno, maybe it could be an interesting compromise. Plus, being able to play as Classic Sonic in 3D could be pretty fun.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Captain Metallix said:

Assuming for now that both Sonics are gonna be the only playable characters, perhaps they both actually have 3D (+2.5D) gameplay. However:

- Modern Sonic plays closer to how he did in Unleashed and Generations, maybe adding elements of parkour from Lost World.

- While Classic Sonic plays similar to how Modern played in the Adventure games, spin dash and all.

I dunno, maybe it could be an interesting compromise. Plus, being able to play as Classic Sonic in 3D could be pretty fun.

Playing as Classic Sonic in 3D with Generations mods on PC definitely is pretty fun.

Let's just hope the Spin Dash doesn't crash the game in Project 2017. :P

Classic Sonic in 3D does sound like a good idea, especially if he emulates the Adventure style. That would mean even with his inclusion, he can still provide something the fans wanted or years.

• Thumbs Up 7

With Iizuka saying it's not a sequel to Generations, and the teaser suggesting just that with the presence of Classic Sonic, I honestly don't know what to think about the game... The only thing to do as of now is wait for more information; if the release is still more than a year away, I understand the lack of concise details, there's a damn lot of time ahead of us to get to know them bit by bit.

In the meantime, what would you think if this game was, literally: Sonic Generations with a proper plot and all-new stages?

1 minute ago, Ajavalo said:

With Iizuka saying it's not a sequel to Generations, and the teaser suggesting just that with the presence of Classic Sonic, I honestly don't know what to think about the game... The only thing to do as of now is wait for more information; if the release is still more than a year away, I understand the lack of concise details, there's a damn lot of time ahead of us to get to know them bit by bit.

In the meantime, what would you think if this game was, literally: Sonic Generations with a proper plot and all-new stages?

If it was that, while it wouldn't be what I was hoping for exactly, I'm still sure I would really like it on it's own merits.

It's interesting that they've got Modern Sonic rolling and Classic doing the homing attack and boost.

I suppose what this could be an indicator of is that not only do the Sonics share a gameplay style, but the other characters of the "Resistance" actually share the same same gameplay style too with everyone getting a unique move or two (assuming there are other playable characters of course).

Classic Sonic still needs a good explanation for how and why he's came back again but that aside, he's actually the perfect character to hint that everybody's sharing one style. Classic and Modern are united by differences, they're entire relationship last time was built around how they're different. Despite that, here they both are and seemingly one-for-one with each other. Had Tails or someone else shown up here, I'm not sure the concept of a shared gameplay style would be as apparent. The two Sonics would no doubt be the most similar in terms of moveset so it'd make sense to pick Classic. That and, it's Classic Sonic, of course they're going to have him front and centre anywhere he goes. 

In fairness, I'm just speculating here and a CG teaser isn't the best source of figuring out gameplay but hey, I'll work with what we've got!

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't think classic Sonic will play adventure style; however wouldn't it be cool if he did? That would make adventure fans really happy :)

I just posted this in the statuses, but I suddenly had a thought that this game could put the official stamp on that two worlds bullshit we heard about awhile ago. The fact that what we've seen so far is a realistic city at all means we're back on what Sonic Team is essentially dubbing Earth. But Classic Sonic is there and he's probably exclusive to "Sonic's World," which is what they were calling any cartoony or classic-looking areas. If this story is going to bother trying with narrative explanation for why Classic is back, the only thing I can think of aside from time travel is that he was pulled into the mess from "Sonic's World," and time travel seems unlikely to me considering Sonic could just cut the problem off at the source by time traveling on his own.

• Thumbs Up 6

Why are people stuck on Modern Sonic rolling in the trailer? He was rolling in the very first teaser trailer for Sonic Generations and nobody made a big deal about it back then. I'm seriously not seeing the big deal, because it really is the exact same thing happening: In the trailer he slides under something and then rolls before he starts running again.

It's a great idea until you realize the implication that Eggman won against every other character just because Sonic wasn't there.

It's Dragon Ball Super levels of power creep.

• Thumbs Up 9

Hey! I just realised; remember when I made a status about the Sonic villains coming back oneday? I think it might happen! I think Eggman will gather previous villains and start a rebellion and Sonic has to stop them all. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

7 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

I just posted this in the statuses, but I suddenly had a thought that this game could put the official stamp on that two worlds bullshit we heard about awhile ago. The fact that what we've seen so far is a realistic city at all means we're back on what Sonic Team is essentially dubbing Earth. But Classic Sonic is there and he's probably exclusive to "Sonic's World," which is what they were calling any cartoony or classic-looking areas. If this story is going to bother trying with narrative explanation for why Classic is back, the only thing I can think of aside from time travel is that he was pulled into the mess from "Sonic's World," and time travel seems unlikely to me considering Sonic could just cut the problem off at the source by time traveling on his own.

So wait, then there are two sonic's living at the same time by that logic? This Classic isn't related at all to Modern or the Generations Classic? Even though Modern has existed on both worlds?

But then you realize they don't do anything anymore anyway, and thus logically wouldn't have stopped them, so it goes back to being a good idea.

51 minutes ago, ChikoLad said:

Considering most people's reaction to Classic Sonic, I thought it made sense to revive a certain old Tumblr meme.

tumblr_oasjagVeQW1rx3ovlo1_540.gif

That's only true if the old stages are eating away at dev time for new stages, which does not appear to be the case here. They have a good amount of new stages they want to add and are just putting in remixed old stages as a bonus since they have the time.

Wait what? are you talking about 2017 or mania? I'm assuming it's the latter. What indication do you have that they are only putting remixed stages as a bonus? I have seen no indication that the game is done and they are just making some extra stuff.  So I assume the extra stages were planned and will into what could have been time for original stages. Although it may not be as much if they are just reusing assets.

Just now, Wraith said:

But then you realize they don't do anything anymore anyway, and thus logically wouldn't have stopped them, so it goes back to being a good idea.

Kill me.

Just now, KHCast said:

So wait, then there are two sonic's living at the same time by that logic? This Classic isn't related at all to Modern? Even though Modern has existed on both worlds?

That question's answer wasn't confirmed at all because it makes no sense if you just look at every game before Colors or so in the knowledge that Sonic Team wasn't working under such a dumbass rule. But regardless, we do know that Sonic Team has internally divided the games' locations up simply based on the art aesthetics of any given game, with realistic games being on Earth and cartoony ones being on Sonic's World/Mobius/whatever. So yeah, either Classic Sonic is Modern's alternate counterpart, or a single Sonic has been dimension hopping since Adventure 1 for some random-ass reason.

• Thumbs Up 3