Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

Also, thankfully unlike Unleashed's werehog which takes that game down a few pegs, the sword gameplay feels more in tune and in-character with Sonic. The sword gameplay actually makes effort to mesh with Sonic's speed. Not take it away.

• Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

For a storybook spin-off, wielding a sword isn't really THAT out of character, given it's of similar circumstances to Riders where he takes on a new skill to adapt and of course beat the challengers at their own game.

Xtreme sports type dude taking up a new xtreme sport is very fitting. Becoming a knight? Not so much.

2 minutes ago, blazefan519 said:

Out of character? OK? I really don't see how that was out of character for him. He was thrown in a world that desperately needed saving and if he was going to let a little pet peeve of his stop him from actually saving some people, then that'd be out of character for Sonic.

Again you keep talking like SatBK's existence was inevitable, that he had to be put into a situation where he had to use a sword. The only reason he ended up in a medieval world is because the designers wanted to make that kind of game. But they could've just not made that game.

• Thumbs Up 8

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

Becoming a knight? Not so much.

Pray tell why? Especially when he's sucked into a storybook centering around knighthood to begin with? And besides, it's not like he even had the intentions on becoming a knight from the get-go in that story either.

• Thumbs Up 1

All this talk about Black knight just makes me sad that saga isn't making another game to expand on the sword gameplay, it might not have been perfect but man did it feel satisfying when you got the moveset down and when you practically mow through enemies in infinite homing attack spins of death.

• Thumbs Up 6

Again, again, again, if you contrive the story so Sonic must become a knight, then yes, he'll become a knight.

But maybe

it's possible

that they don't contrive a story where Sonic must become a knight.

I can't wait until the third storybook game comes out and it's a western and Sonic gets a gun because you have to have a gun in cowboy world and that means it's in character for Sonic to shoot people with a gun.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Again you keep talking like SatBK's existence was inevitable, that he had to be put into a situation where he had to use a sword. The only reason he ended up in a medieval world is because the designers wanted to make that kind of game. But they could've just not made that game.

But then, you could literally use that argument for every game in existence. The designers chose to make wisps, the designers chose to make the werehog, the designers chose to make everything. You can't just act like something is not going to happen or it is, you get what you get, and that's all there is.

Just now, blazefan519 said:

But then, you could literally use that argument for every game in existence. The designers chose to make wisps, the designers chose to make the werehog, the designers chose to make everything. You can't just act like something is not going to happen or it is, you get what you get, and that's all there is.

I'm not trying to deny the game's existence but I don't have to like what it does simply because it exists.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Diogenes said:

I can't wait until the third storybook game comes out and it's a western and Sonic gets a gun because you have to have a gun in cowboy world and that means it's in character for Sonic to shoot people with a gun.

Except that's not how it works. Just because a game is based off of something that's western, it doesn't mean that you have to have a gun, since that's not all it's associated with (just look at Shadow the Hedgehog). But then we get to the Medieval period where it is literally known for it Knights, King Arthur, and more.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's not a coherent argument. If they wanted to make a Western styled game where Sonic had a gun, they could do that just the same as they did making a medieval styled game where Sonic has a sword. And swords aren't the only thing that's tied to medieval settings. We could've had Robin Hood Sonic instead.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

That's not a coherent argument. If they wanted to make a Western styled game where Sonic had a gun, they could do that just the same as they did making a medieval styled game where Sonic has a sword. And swords aren't the only thing that's tied to medieval settings. We could've had Robin Hood Sonic instead.

I mean, yeah they could, but that really wouldn't make a lot of sense because Sonic says in Shadow the Hedgehog that he doesn't like guns and wouldn't use them. And yeah, Robin Hood is something associated with Medieval, but it isn't as big as King Arthur, and even if it was Robin Hood, he'd be using a Bow and Arrow instead.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't mind Sonic using weapons at all. Just have it make sense for the universe he's thrown in.

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Pardon me if I'm misinterpreting, but it sounds like the only real big problem you have with Black Knight is just the fact that he's using a weapon at all honestly.

I mean come on. Calling a story contrived, for y'know, revolving around its own plot like Black Knight did to keep with the theme. You might as well just be arguing that the game should never exist in the first place. I get that you don't like it, but what really constitutes Sonic using the sword as out of character, going off of the franchise's lore, let alone in a storybook universe that centers around it?

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, blazefan519 said:

I mean, yeah they could, but that really wouldn't make a lot of sense because Sonic says in Shadow the Hedgehog that he doesn't like guns and wouldn't use them.

And I say it doesn't make sense for Sonic to use a sword. I don't have a quote to that effect, but would you think it was alright for Sonic to have a gun if that line didn't exist?

1 minute ago, blazefan519 said:

And yeah, Robin Hood is something associated with Medieval, but it isn't as big as King Arthur, and even if it was Robin Hood, he'd be using a Bow and Arrow instead.

Robin Hood is about as big as King Arthur I'd say. And while I don't think that would require him to use a bow, my point was that there was no obligation to have him use a sword. If they were really dead set on a medieval setting, there were other routes they could take.

2 minutes ago, Bowbowis said:

You're kidding right? That's literally the first thing that comes up in discussions about Shadow or Black Knight.

No, it isn't. Those arguments about those specific characters using those weapons. Not claiming that no Sonic character can use any weapon. That Amy has a big squeaky hammer would not make it okay for Sonic to have a gun.

2 minutes ago, Bowbowis said:

There's no divine law saying he can't have it either.

Yeah but I actually want a sensible, coherent character, not one that's just a bunch of shit thrown in a pile.

1 minute ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

You might as well just be arguing that the game should never exist in the first place.

I literally already have.

• Thumbs Up 3

I still don't understand why we're still talking about Black Knight's swordplay, and what it has to do with Forces, tbh...

I mean fair enough whenever a topic is just a tangent for an element in the game a thread is centered around, but... I just can't see where this argument is coming from

12 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I literally already have.

So what happened? Was this whole debacle started up by someone suggesting that Sonic wield weapons or something in Forces?

Cause I'm not seeing the point of it.

23 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

And I say it doesn't make sense for Sonic to use a sword. I don't have a quote to that effect, but would you think it was alright for Sonic to have a gun if that line didn't exist?

Robin Hood is about as big as King Arthur I'd say. And while I don't think that would require him to use a bow, my point was that there was no obligation to have him use a sword. If they were really dead set on a medieval setting, there were other routes they could take.

No, it isn't. Those arguments about those specific characters using those weapons. Not claiming that no Sonic character can use any weapon. That Amy has a big squeaky hammer would not make it okay for Sonic to have a gun.

Yeah but I actually want a sensible, coherent character, not one that's just a bunch of shit thrown in a pile.

Then, yeah, I'd be fine with Sonic having a gun as long as it's used properly, just like the Sword was in Black Knight

I mean it really isn't, but I get the point here. He may not have been obligated but it's the choice that make the most since, once again, same with Black Knight.

It's a weapon, so therefor anyone can use a weapon. Yeah it's a squeaky hammer but it's supremely effective so I don't see what it's appearance has to do with anything.

Not really getting the point here. It is sensible and coherent to his character, so yeah.

35 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I'm sorry, but I really don't understand how using a sword goes against any established part of Sonic's character.

• Thumbs Up 3

4 hours ago, Kellan said:

I'm sorry, but I don't know if I understand the point that you're making. Are you saying that I should be more excited for Mania than I am for Forces?

See given Sonic Team's track record for the past 18 years it's kind of hard for me to get fully excited since I feel Sonic games are so capable of reaching AAA status but other teams seem more competent to get it fully right, that's why I'm glad Sonic Mania exists. 

But to answer your question, I wouldn't say you should be excited for one more than the other (that's up to the person's tastes) but it's hard to get as excited as many years ago with Sonic Team. Want any team working on this beloved franchise to give it AAA treatment, hence my skepticism. 

I want to believe that they can produce something special with this (if they just improve on the formula from Colours and Generations and ensure the new gameplay style is equally fun) so going to keep an eye out and see if they can surprise me. Sonic Forces does look fun so far.

I'm fairly sure if there was a new Storybooks game it would be based on Greek Mythology.

Also i'm not as exiceted for Mania because i'm pretty sure it's a game I will finish in one or two sittings and then I will have nothing to discuss about it, and it will not give any new insight into the characters or story (not because classic games can't have story, because they do, but rather because I don't think Taxman and co. were given permission to write anything for it). I will enjoy, but all I can say about it is "It's good".

OK, I think it's about time for us to all move on from the Black Knight debate considering it has virtually nothing to do with Sonic Forces. There are plenty of other places on the forum where you can carry on this discussion if you so please.

• Thumbs Up 8

A guy on my facebook came with a really interesting thory about the story, it was in portuguese so I'll try to summarize since is a big text. Still here if someone wants to read it.

He said that the first cinematic teaser comes after the gameplay of Modern Sonic we seen, since the town is starting to get destroyed and Sonic is still fighting in the gameplay we watched. In the teaser, the city is already completely destroyed and conquered... it makes sense, doesn't it?

He states that maybe eggman trapped Sonic or made him sleep for some days/weeks, after the first level of the games (which seems to be the one from the gameplay). "The world needs a hero" would be a reference to the ausence of sonic during eggman's conquering of the town. And during those days, Classic Sonic and Sonic's friends get together to create a resistance group.

• Thumbs Up 7

Roses are red...

Violets are blue...

Sonic Team's a failure...

Christian Whitehead now rules.

2 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Sonic Team's a failure...

I'm sure you have the sales figures to back up that Sonic Forces is financially considered a failure?