Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

99% sure boost won't be included in the 3rd style of gameplay. But all the same, they do love to shove 2D sections into modern's stages so 

How about this...?

Modern and Classic Silver.

That would be an interesting third game play.

Oh, I thought we were discussing alternate characters for Classic and Modern levels, not the third gameplay style. I'm certain that the third style will be something new, possibly in full 3D stages as a counterpart to Classic's all-2D and Modern's 3D/2D combination.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm inclined to think that, if the third gameplay style isn't starring another Sonic or someone from the evil side, it's gonna have to be the new character.

Even ignoring the fact that we've already got several friends name-dropped as NPCs, I just can't picture one of the friends filling that slot without it feeling kind of random.

Like we've got Sonic, Sonic and Shadow or Sonic, Sonic and Blaze. A third Sonic would fit alongside the two we already have, some sort of villain would act as an opposite force which would be fitting for the theme of the game, a random friend character would seem like a bit of a third wheel to me that would've really fit in.

My guess on the odds who the 3rd playable character will be... if it is indeed another character at all.

50% Boom Sonic.
30% New character.
7% New future Sonic.
7% Blaze.
3% Metal Sonic.
3% Dr.Eggman.

Also I agree with anybody who says Dreamcast Sonic IS Modern Sonic, I also agree that SEGA won’t include him ever as another separate Sonic and probably never really planned to. I mean just look at them…

Untitled.thumb.png.e0e638b8f5efb10846740c83c668b8c6.png

They are the same. =P

Spoiler

The 1st art is from Sonic Adventure 1 artwork and the 2nd is current art of Modern Sonic from the Sonic Channel official site. And don’t anybody try to use the low-polygon primitive game models from Sonic adventure 1&2 as a excuse for thinking that Dreamcast Sonic should look different… The 2D art is the canon designs they used to base the 3D models after. They just couldn’t do the best job back then because of hardware limitations and the fact it was their early tries at it.

• Thumbs Up 6

5 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Also I agree with anybody who says Dreamcast Sonic IS Modern Sonic, I also agree that SEGA won’t include him ever as another separate Sonic and probably really planned to. I mean just look at them…

Untitled.thumb.png.e0e638b8f5efb10846740c83c668b8c6.png

They are the same. =P

Hide contents

The 1st art is from Sonic Adventure 1 artwork and the 2nd is current art of Modern Sonic from the Sonic Channel official site. And don’t anybody try to use the low-polygon primitive game models from Sonic adventure 1&2 as a excuse for thinking that Dreamcast Sonic should look different… The 2D art is the canon designs they used to base the 3D models after. They just couldn’t do the best job back then because of hardware limitations and the fact it was their early tries at it.

The argument that Dreamcast Sonic and Modern Sonic are different has more to do with gameplay styles than Sonic's appearance but you are correct all the same. 

If anybody is wondering why I think Boom Sonic has such a high chance of being the 3rd playable character... It's not because I want it to happen, but I see enough good clues for logic behind it.

Sonic Boom is a current product and still is a Sonic branch SEGA wants to sell regardless of fan opinion. These promo 25th year art while not absolutely meaning anything... However they still help paint us a picture of a idea too.

Untitled.thumb.png.fb31b3c13599cada2ce2cc7425f5a268.png

If it happens my guess is Boom Sonic will have the new gameplay style somewhat just because they had to as no current Sonic Boom gameplay is loved or usable for Sonic Forces.

I actually highly doubt SEGA would want to make a all new Future Sonic character... because If people like the gameplay style/design of the character they would regret it later honestly when they start to feel they have to include it in new games and products along with the other Sonics.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

I'm no techie, but I can tell you that you don't take code from a piece of software developed at least 20 years ago and use it to make a cutting edge piece of software in the present day. Sure, you build on what you've learned, but you completely recreate, update and refine it in a brand new engine that's going to be entirely separate and more modern. See the Retro Engine (i.e. the Taxman ports and Mania).

How many times is this going to come up?

Adventure Sonic = Modern Sonic. Literally the same thing. Also, do you really want to further divide up the gameplay, character and fanbase? Cause if so, Forces really ought to include Lost World Sonic with his slightly shorter quills and Boom Sonic with all his sports tape. Brilliant idea. Everyone gets their own personal favourite Sonic. Yep. 

I might not have put that across the best way, but what I meant by my post was the gameplay, tone and settings of the games as Modern Era Sonic changed things up from the DC Era. I am sorry for the confusion

8 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

If anybody is wondering why I think Boom Sonic has such a high chance of being the 3rd playable character... It's not because I want it to happen, but I see enough good clues for logic behind it.

Sonic Boom is a current product and still is a Sonic branch SEGA wants to sell regardless of fan opinion. These promo 25th year art while not absolutely meaning anything... However they still help paint us a picture of a idea too.

Untitled.thumb.png.fb31b3c13599cada2ce2cc7425f5a268.png

If it happens my guess is Boom Sonic will have the new gameplay style somewhat just because they had to as no current Sonic Boom gameplay is loved or usable for Sonic Forces.

I actually highly doubt SEGA would want to make a all new Future Sonic character... because If people like the gameplay style/design of the character they would regret it later honestly when they start to feel they have to include it in new games and products along with the other Sonics.

That's a very plausible theory. Plus, Boom Sonic has the melee combat and Enerbeam as it's significant gameplay style, so he wouldn't be redundant.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Prisima said:

That's a very plausible theory. Plus, Boom Sonic has the melee combat and Enerbeam as it's significant gameplay style, so he wouldn't be redundant.

Let's hope that if they do include Boom Sonic, his gameplay won't be as terrible as it was in Rise of Lyric. I'm hoping for something similar to how he plays in the Lego Dimensions pack.

• Thumbs Up 2

49 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

I honestly don't know if you're trying to get a rise out of people with so many controversial ideas, or if you just enjoy plucking random ideas out of thin air. 

Like, I guess if you like Silver and want to see his style of gameplay from '06 make a return, then that's fine? Nothing wrong with saying you want this or that. I just... don't get where the suggestion is coming from or what relevance it has to Forces. It's not even speculation because it's not even based on anything. There's only so much you can say about total hypertheicals, and even less so when they're exceptionally unlikely to be on the mark.

But to answer your question anyway - no. Don't like Silver, don't like the idea of his gameplay, don't think it makes one lick of sense. 

Pretty much this. If something sounds plausible/interesting I like posting it to see what others think.

Kind of a shame they never tried to improve Silver's game play at some point as the concept for a good type of game play is there, just bad pacing and needs tweaks to how it works here and there. As a whole though, it's not a bad idea.

7 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Pretty much this. If something sounds plausible/interesting I like posting it to see what others think.

We have very different concepts of "plausible". And "interesting" too, for that matter.

• Thumbs Up 5

53 minutes ago, ShroomZed said:

The argument that Dreamcast Sonic and Modern Sonic are different has more to do with gameplay styles than Sonic's appearance but you are correct all the same. 

And Boom sonic actually isn't very different from modern. Take away the blue arms, scarf, bandages, and loose quills and he looks the same. And by the way, I have a felling it was going to be Boom Sonic until the ROL fiasco, where they replaced him with the new character.

3 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

We have very different concepts of "plausible". And "interesting" too, for that matter.

Naw, you're just an old man. Get with the times gramps. :)

Boom Sonic makes the most sense as a third playstyle, especially since they have two other Sonic's. It wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to make the game focused on Sonic, but then have a random new character playable. They'd probably be testing the waters on making an new console Boom game and just using this game as a vehicle for it.

11 minutes ago, blazefan519 said:

Let's hope that if they do include Boom Sonic, his gameplay won't be as terrible as it was in Rise of Lyric. I'm hoping for something similar to how he plays in the Lego Dimensions pack.

It wouldn't be redundant, but I still wouldn't want this. Not only for all the obvious reasons to not want SEGA to acknowledge Boom, but because that gameplay style just isn't very unique or interesting. Putting aside all the arguments over the boost, I don't think anyone would deny that it's at least something you don't really see anywhere else, and that goes for Classic Sonic too. Meanwhile Boom Sonic, assuming his style would be based on any or all of the currently released Boom games, wouldn't really stand out much. I guess they could do something to make it more interesting but...well there's still all the other reasons to not want him in, lmao.

• Thumbs Up 6

3 minutes ago, It's a Very Merry Miru said:

And Boom sonic actually isn't very different from modern. Take away the blue arms, scarf, bandages, and loose quills and he looks the same. And by the way, I have a felling it was going to be Boom Sonic until the ROL fiasco, where they replaced him with the new character.

Ehhh...

Didn't the SEGA of Japan division pretty much loathe the BOOM project from start to finish just about? I doubt they'd want any part of it in "their" games, especially when Iizuka said the BOOM franchise wasn't coming anywhere near Japan at first.

That changed, but I doubt their perspective/stance on the BOOM franchise has.

The only parts of Sonic's gameplay in Boom that were vaguely fun were trying to mimic Unleashed gameplay to begin with so I'm not sure what they could do with Boom Sonic gameplay that I'd like.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, JezMM said:

The only parts of Sonic's gameplay in Boom that were vaguely fun were trying to mimic Unleashed gameplay to begin with so I'm not sure what they could do with Boom Sonic gameplay that I'd like.

Actually it seems like they were going for the Rush games.

(Are we talking about the handheld BOOM games or Rise of Lyric here?)

I will give Rise of Lyric props for its realism and slightly more open spaces, but since Forces is returning to a realistic Pixar hybrid direction, it's hard for that bit of praise to stay on its feet in comparison since...

I dunno... I have a bit of a soft spot for the realistic Pixar look, dunno why...

Maybe it counts as positive nostalgia?

3 minutes ago, Celestia said:

It wouldn't be redundant, but I still wouldn't want this. Not only for all the obvious reasons to not want SEGA to acknowledge Boom, but because that gameplay style just isn't very unique or interesting. Putting aside all the arguments over the boost, I don't think anyone would deny that it's at least something you don't really see anywhere else, and that goes for Classic Sonic too. Meanwhile Boom Sonic, assuming his style would be based on any or all of the currently released Boom games, wouldn't really stand out much. I guess they could do something to make it more interesting but...well there's still all the other reasons to not want him in, lmao.

But the thing about that is that they obviously do acknowledge Boom, as shown with the art in 25th anniversary book. We've had only three games in the Boom franchise, which means they can be more experimental with the gameplay. If they were to pull from the games, you have the elemental powers from Fire and Ice, the enerbeam,or combat (which I prefer them not do combat if Unleashed weren't any indicator). While I'd rather not have another Sonic be the third playable character for the third style, out of all the choices, his inclusion makes the most sense and seems the most likely.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, blazefan519 said:

But the thing about that is that they obviously do acknowledge Boom, as shown with the art in 25th anniversary book. We've had only three games in the Boom franchise, which means they can be more experimental with the gameplay. If they were to pull from the games, you have the elemental powers from Fire and Ice, the enerbeam,or combat (which I prefer them not do combat if Unleashed weren't any indicator). While I'd rather not have another Sonic be the third playable character for the third style, out of all the choices, his inclusion makes the most sense and seems the most likely.

Not only do Boom and Modern look very similar, they also sound exactly alike. Further, use of the tainted Boom image would be a PR disaster. 

This could all all be prevented by having alternate characters in each style.

Just now, It's a Very Merry Miru said:

Not only do Boom and Modern look very similar, they also sound exactly alike. Further, use of the tainted Boom image would be a PR disaster. 

Sonic for the running, Tails for the something, Knuckles for the hunting.

5 minutes ago, It's a Very Merry Miru said:

They do look similar, but it's enough to tell that it's a different character, and sounding alike didn't stop Modern and Classic from being in the same game. The show is pretty popular so I really wouldn't say it's tainted, just one of the games were bad.

I would prefer alternate characters though, but basing off of what we've heard, I don't find it likely, sadly.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, blazefan519 said:

They do look similar, but it's enough to tell that it's a different character, and sounding alike didn't stop Modern and Classic from being in the same game. The show is pretty popular so I really wouldn't say it's tainted, just one of the games were bad.

I would prefer alternate characters though, but basing off of what we've heard, I don't find it likely, sadly.

Most people ONLY know it by the infamous game. The show is quite obscure compared to it. 

Just now, It's a Very Merry Miru said:

Most people ONLY know it by the infamous game. The show is quite obscure compared to it. 

And while that may be the case, Boom wouldn't even be a thing if it weren't for the TV show. So regardless of the of the bad reception RoL got, the success of the show is what will be taken into account if he is added to the game.