Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

1 hour ago, blazefan519 said:

They've said that only Sonic will be playable, so yeah, it's been confirmed, sadly.

Source, please? 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, It's a Very Merry Miru said:

Source, please? 

I'm looking for confirmation myself.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Zippo said:

I'm looking for confirmation myself.

28 minutes ago, It's a Very Merry Miru said:

Source, please? 

I believe that there was tweet from Iizuka that said this earlier in the thread. I would go back and see if I could find it but that would take a while.

They never explicitly stated that the new character would be the 3rd game-play style, didn't they?

Hope I don't come across as blind raging furious when I say the following but is there any good reason why modern sonic still need 2d sections? You have an entire character dedicated to 2d, also starring in an entire GAME dedicated to 2d. What reason is there?

• Thumbs Up 6

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

This forum if Boom Sonic gets confirmed for Forces:

Actually... I don't think this forum would care too much.

We'd care if the gameplay looked awful.

But not because it's Boom Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 7

2 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Actually... I don't think this forum would care too much.

We'd care if the gameplay looked awful.

But not because it's Boom Sonic.

I know that statement would apply to me, but I know it won't apply to everyone here.

17 minutes ago, DonWaffleleven said:

Hope I don't come across as blind raging furious when I say the following but is there any good reason why modern sonic still need 2d sections? You have an entire character dedicated to 2d, also starring in an entire GAME dedicated to 2d. What reason is there?

Because they still want to Boost game-play to have significant platforming sections...and they can't exactly have that in 3D. Not in this style, not in its current state.

I personally don't remember explicit confirmation as to Sonic being the only playable character, though it wouldn't surprise me. It'd be nice to see the source.

• Thumbs Up 6

Have some faith guys. The 3rd Sonic will be Metal Sonic and we will all be cool with that.

36 minutes ago, DonWaffleleven said:

Its pretty clear that despite the long development cycle, the same age old problem with boost gameplay still remains. Its just too resource intensive. Creating fully 3D maps for Sonic to blow through at that kind of ridiculous pace creates too much work for the dev team. Having modern Sonic switch to 2D for significant chunks of time allots for longer, more "satisfying" stage lengths thanks to a significantly more narrow scope that comes with the perspective. Its not an ideal situation, but ST's kind of in a bind there.

Since its inception, Sonic Team has made it clear that the boost gameplay style isn't sustainable for that reason alone. Until they figure out a way to make the Unleashed formula less intensive on a time and development front, we will always see the Team padding out the 3D with 2D and the game overall with other playstyles.

The 2D sections are one of the few current things that the franchise can reliably fall back on (thanks to the good reception it got in Gens/Unleashed) so when the need arises to "slow things down" its only natural that they would fall back on sidescrolling.

• Thumbs Up 4

4 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Have some faith guys. The 3rd Sonic will be Metal Sonic and we will all be cool with that.

While that would be cool, this is Sonic Team. Ever since 06 they haven't taken a single risk (with the exception of Lost World, but that was still a Sonic only game). I'd like to have faith in them, I really do, but until more is scene about this game, I have no reason to think that they'd try something like that.

Well, I'd call Unleashed a risk. They had to upend Sonic's gameplay after '06, and they added the werehog because...well, because Sonic Team.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Diogenes said:

Well, I'd call Unleashed a risk. They had to upend Sonic's gameplay after '06, and they added the werehog because...well, because Sonic Team.

I suppose that is true. They had to come up with a new gameplay style for 3D Sonic, and it was a success, sort of. They added the werehog mainly because they need something to pad out the game, similar to Colors' overabundance of 2D, and Classic Sonic in both Generations and Forces. Also, beat-em ups were incredibly popular at the time so they followed suit, kinda like edgy games with Shadow the Hedgehog.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, blazefan519 said:

While that would be cool, this is Sonic Team. Ever since 06 they haven't taken a single risk

???150822-Sonic_Unleashed_(USA)_(En,Ja,Fr,D

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Zippo said:

???150822-Sonic_Unleashed_(USA)_(En,Ja,Fr,D

I kinda did forget Unleashed and the werehog, my bad. But I do mention it in the post above you.

49 minutes ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

I personally don't remember explicit confirmation as to Sonic being the only playable character, though it wouldn't surprise me. It'd be nice to see the source.

Just checked the Game Informer article. It says nothing about the Sonics being the only playable characters, just that Sonic will communicate with his friends via radio. Tails isn't even mentioned, as far as I can see. I also think that would be something SEGA would want to make abundantly clear from the start, they did just that for Sonic 4, Colors, Generations and Lost World. It makes me think that this time, it may not be the case. Only time will tell.

15 minutes ago, blazefan519 said:

I kinda did forget Unleashed and the werehog, my bad. But I do mention it in the post above you.

No worries, bud.

28 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Just checked the Game Informer article. It says nothing about the Sonics being the only playable characters, just that Sonic will communicate with his friends via radio. Tails isn't even mentioned, as far as I can see. I also think that's something SEGA would want to make abundantly clear from the start, they did just that for Sonic 4, Colors, Generations and Lost World. It makes me think that this time, it may be the case. Only time will tell.

My mistake then, guess I assumed the fact that his friends were NPCs the rest of them would be too. I doubt it'll be Shadow/Blaze as it would look kinda awkward having two Sonics then randomly one of his friends playable. Also, Tails is mentioned on IGN's site I believe, so he's an NPC as well. I still believe the highest possibility is Boom Sonic, if not then some kind of Future Sonic, if not then Metal Sonic. Those three are the ones I believe are the most likely.

Guys, they've been adamant on keeping the series centered on Sonic for almost a decade and the debut trailer focuses on the Sonics.

Why would they suddenly back pedal and have two Sonics playable and one random character? It doesn't make sense.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Guys, they've been adamant on keeping the series centered on Sonic for almost a decade and the debut trailer focuses on the Sonics.

Why would they suddenly back pedal and have two Sonics playable and one random character? It doesn't make sense.

Series directions change, it changed to this. It can change from this. I doubt its happening in this game though

And to be quite honest... the progression of the last few years seem pretty similar to sonic 06

1 hour ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

"They" is a bit incorrect, the more appropriate term is "we" my friend. Their decision is based on consumer responses by majority.

To blame them, we must blame ourselves on a topic like this.

Also...

I've started thinking, maybe people AREN'T upset over Classic Sonic being in the game because of being unfitting or because of the nostalgia pandering...

Maybe because, instead of fans of content like Classic Sonic feeling appreciated, they're starting to feel taken advantage of, and maybe that's the hidden reason we're not considering.

Perhaps it's a matter of nostalgic fans feeling the vibe of being treated like an easy win, like instead of being worthwhile and being given worthwhile content, fans of older content just feel like they're being shoehorned into things now as a trinket to the company, a quick dime on the side...

Could that be it?

• Thumbs Up 2

It's not even nostalgia pandering, because Classic is freaking everywhere now, like, I saw him yesterday. He just doesn't work as a nostalgic play anymore, so what's left? Scripted/wonky physics, too cute (instead of cocky and cool), mute... Dare I say Classic Sonic is... Boring :V

I rather have Classic Tails or Eggman, at least they were entertaining.

27 minutes ago, Jango said:

It's not even nostalgia pandering, because Classic is freaking everywhere now, like, I saw him yesterday. He just doesn't work as a nostalgic play anymore, so what's left? Scripted/wonky physics, too cute (instead of cocky and cool), mute... Dare I say Classic Sonic is... Boring :V

The former being the East expectations of the character, the later the West, you can guess which loses in Japan's way of doing things.

At least Mania is being more appealing to both ends properly, I feel anyways. Sure he has Japan's color preference and softer characterization put in, but you really get a sense of West expectations too.

So far in Forces he looks like "Yeah! I did a neat thing!" then he just smiles and runs.

29 minutes ago, Jango said:

Wouldn't call Classic Tails entertaining...he just talked in a cute voice, which may be considered more "interesting"?

Classic Sonic it what keeps Sonic slightly relevant in Japan, look that Japanese Sonic fans on Twitter. count the ones who have Classic Sonic as avatar.

While I like Gens Classic Sonic, I wouldn't mind if he was more like this though.

classic_sonic___artwork_by_elesis_knight

Just don't give him a voice.

• Thumbs Up 5

9 minutes ago, JosepMelloZSM said:

Classic Sonic it what keeps Sonic slightly relevant in Japan, look that Japanese Sonic fans on Twitter. count the ones who have Classic Sonic as avatar.

While I like Gens Classic Sonic, I wouldn't mind if he was more like this though.

classic_sonic___artwork_by_elesis_knight

Just don't give him a voice.

That's too Western and reminds SEGA of Japan too much of their 90's inferiority. lol

(Sorry, probably gonna go on against them until we actually see something Sonic related pass the 2M sales mark again)

But yeah, that's the kind of Sonic that I'd prefer. If they're gonna use nostalgia at least make it look like it's intended for more than themselves.

(Edit)

Looking at how Classic Sonic has been used/designed/characterized so far you really can see they're using him based on Japanese memory of him, not how the West remembers him.