Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

3 minutes ago, Jango said:

I hope the theme "I AM THE EGGMAN" plays full volume inside Eggman's bases :D

IMO, this theme should comeback, it's far better than the generic one from 06. It fits Eggman's megalomaniac and excentric personality.

I believe the Official Sonic the Hedgehog channel had uploaded a remix of "I Am the Eggman" a while ago, however, it was for Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3 or whatever, Hope it comes back because remix was quite nice.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't even remind me of the Generations' tease. I literally screamed when I heard the instrumental version playing at the entrance of Egg Dragoon's boss gate. I AM THE EGGMAN rocks, yo.

• Thumbs Up 2

It played in the hall of mirrors cutscene too, which, of course, automatically elevates it to the status of best cutscene in the game (though that isn't saying much).

Long live the E.G.G.M.A.N. empire!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Miki said:

What do you hope story wise will happen in Sonic Forces? 

I don't know what I'd hope for, but I can take a guess as to what it'd be... so here it is in song format

Sonic and Eggman
Sonic and Eggman
Sonic and Eggman
Sonic and Eggman had a fight
Sonic knocked Eggman outta sight
Eggman said "Now that's alright,
I'll send you to the future tomorrow night"
I'll be warpin' I'll be warpin' tomorrow night
That's what Sonic said to Eggman
I'll be warpin' tomorrow night
Sonic told Eggman "You dumb egg,
you'd better wake up or I'll break your leg
Been in this Zone since half past two
Spinnin' and dashin and being blue"
I'll be warpin, I'll be warpin' tomorrow night
That's what Sonic told Eggman

And then Eggman sent Sonic to the future where he could take over during Sonic's absence

and Classic Sonic showed up for some reason. The end.

• Thumbs Up 8

3 hours ago, Nepenthe said:

Also, let's drop the meta tangent about Dio and his opinions. That's the second most dead horse argument on this bloody site.

With me gradually following in as the third dead horse as the most random and apparently nonsensical S-O-B that SSMB has likely had to deal with, at least in a while.

(I can praise myself in a negative way... Right...?)

As far as returning to the Forces focus, I'm wondering something new...

Hub Worlds

+

Arena's

=

Training with non-playable characters as a fun little feature added on the side, having classic battles ala Sonic Adventure but with much better AI programming.

I don't know what's going on here, but what kind of atmosphere would you want for the game?

Something like Unleashed, or something like Colors and Generations?

2 minutes ago, TheChickenWing said:

I don't know what's going on here, but what kind of atmosphere would you want for the game?

Something like Unleashed, or something like Colors and Generations?

A hybrid of Sonic Adventure 2 and Unleashed, just to balance out things after Colors, Gens and especially Lost World, then tone it back down to a purely Unleashed level.

Unleashed, undoubtedly.

It was a mediocre title compared to Colors and Generations (and in general), but the world, personality and atmosphere of Unleashed is unmatched by any other Sonic game. The attitude it took involving the truly laid-back free spirit of Sonic saving the world because he wanted to do it is something that only maybe the Archie comics understand about the series' tone.

• Thumbs Up 2

Definitely Unleashed. That game felt like it had the perfect balance if seriousness and comedy and I feel like it would be great to have the game feel like that.

30 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

As far as returning to the Forces focus, I'm wondering something new...

Hub Worlds

+

Arena's

=

Training with non-playable characters as a fun little feature added on the side, having classic battles ala Sonic Adventure but with much better AI programming.

AI wasn't really the problem (even if they were dumb as bricks); the mechanics just didn't support any kind of meaningful combat between characters. It basically just came down to who attacked first, or bouncing off each other if both attacked at the same time. Rock Paper Scissors has more depth.

1 minute ago, blazefan519 said:

Definitely Unleashed. That game felt like it had the perfect balance if seriousness and comedy and I feel like it would be great to have the game feel like that.

I think this is Sonic Team's personal dilemma, they peaked with Unleashed, it felt to me like it was the last Sonic game they thought would ever be made so they went crazy thinking it'd make them go out with a bang.

Then when it proved successful and Sonic was essentially "saved" thanks to it, well...

It was a moment of relief and "...shit..." combined I think.

Well that doesn't make sense considering all the main Sonic games after it been better.

Just now, Shaddy the guy said:

Well then why have all the main Sonic games after it been better.

I'm speaking ONLY of the plot, not the game play/content of the game besides that.

Plot topic, plot.

Just now, Shaddy the guy said:

Well then why have all the main Sonic games after it been better.

That's highly subjective. Personally, Unleashed has been my favorite out of the boost formula games.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

AI wasn't really the problem (even if they were dumb as bricks); the mechanics just didn't support any kind of meaningful combat between characters. It basically just came down to who attacked first, or bouncing off each other if both attacked at the same time. Rock Paper Scissors has more depth.

I'm assuming you mean stuff like Sonic V Shadow in SA2? You know, it's funny, but this reminds me of how combat between sword users in Halo 3 worked. It had a "homing attack" of sorts (you'd lunge if you had an enemy highlighted in your crosshairs), and two lunges would cancel each other in a fairly similar fashion (both players would take damage, but considering the alternative is instant death it's a neat tradeoff). However, the sword had two attacks, the lunge and a basic melee attack that comes with every weapon - and although the bash doesn't have the same reach as the lunge, it comes out quicker, making the former override the latter as a counter option.

SA2 is kind of similar in that the Somersault is more effective than the Homing Attack against Shadow, but that's more because Shadow isn't programmed to jump (and consequently receive what are basically invulnerability frames) in response to ground approaches than it is the Somersault being intentionally programmed to counter the HA. Very simple and concise metagames like the Halo example facinate me, so I do kind of wonder - how would you properly program that kind of combat into a Sonic game without compromising on flow anywhere else, like running and platforming? Because we already know we can't just give Sonic a beat-em-up moveset and leave it at that.

The kick in Lost World might have been onto something there, but it's basically just a Homing Attack that responds differently to enemies specifically weak to it, which is exactly the kind of thing I hate seeing in moveset design - moves designed for one explicit purpose rather than a broad variety of applications, no more so than a coloured keycard and a coloured door. Can you imagine Link wielding Small Keys as weapons? That'd be ridiculous. I feel like Sonic combat should be more about location than anything else. Say for example, you still have the HA-proof aura from SA2, but it only protects you from the front, so your other moves give you options to approach other angles, or move the opponent into angles they're less able to defend themselves.

...okay this has nothing to do with Forces does it? Sorry, I saw this post and spontaneously felt like spitballing. Carry on.

3 minutes ago, Blacklightning said:

The kick in Lost World might have been onto something there, but it's basically just a Homing Attack that responds differently to enemies specifically weak to it...

It doesn't respond differently, it still kicks the regular enemies away. You can either kick "all" enemies (except the one that requires both)...or you can only homing attack "half" of them.

8 minutes ago, Blacklightning said:

I'm assuming you mean stuff like Sonic V Shadow in SA2?

...and two lunges would cancel each other in a fairly similar fashion...

It's not even that another homing attack would cancel the other out, even simply jumping was cause that effect. 

3 hours ago, Jango said:

I hope the theme "I AM THE EGGMAN" plays full volume inside Eggman's bases.

IMO, this theme should comeback, it's far better than the generic one from 06. It fits Eggman's megalomaniac and eccentric personality. It's the sound I can hear playing when I picture "Eggman has won" emoji14.png

The Eggman theme from 06 is funny as fuck though.

Bwoooh bweeeeh

Bodo bodeh buh bwoooooo

• Thumbs Up 1

If the Generations title is anything to go by The E.G.G.M.A.N. might be returning as Eggman's main theme in Forces since an interest in bringing it back does seem to be there.

Here's something about this third gameplay style which has me left wanting to know more - the character associated with it. Could it be another Sonic or something more balsy for Sega like a brand new character (which has never bode well for Sonic Team in the past)?

51 minutes ago, Mark1 said:

Here's something about this third gameplay style which has me left wanting to know more - the character associated with it. Could it be another Sonic or something more balsy for Sega like a brand new character (which has never bode well for Sonic Team in the past)?

I mean, it worked for shadow. 

Its just that, no one else ever liked any character after shadow as much as shadow is the problem. Also sega possibly not understanding the appeal of their own characters and thus might not be ever able to replicate that level of success ever again.

But It worked with knuckles and Shadow. It just didn't work any time after that really. But they can try. 

Like it or not, there WILL be a NEW character in Forces, this was confirmed by SEGA. It's just a matter of knowing if he/she will be related to the third gameplay style or just a character in the plot. My bet is that the new character is on the good side of the force, fighting against Eggman's Empire for quite some time untill Sonic and his friends arrives.

Also, I like Sticks and Blaze and they came after Shadow so :V

I didn't say at all, or If I did i'm sorry. But I meant with fervor and numbers. 

Trust me, I wish more people liked blaze, I really do , they don't. They don't seem to care about her existence much at all, it upsets me,alot. I blame sega.  And sticks, we will have to wait and see, but she doesn't really seem like she's doing something special. 

Point is, as long as they don't try to make this character seem like the end all be all, the character will be fine. If they do, silver 2. i guess you call that bronze. 

Well, Silver is pretty popular all things considered. But if they do try to make yet another male hedgehog with a name starting with S then yeah that's kinda silly. We have enough hedgehogs as it is.

• Thumbs Up 1