Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

9 hours ago, Shaddy the guy said:

Well remember that this is an actual game, not some dumb Archie legal trash. If Sonic Team were doing an evil Sonic, SEGA could stomp Penders like the cockroach he is.

This is some strong language about one guy who makes shitty comics.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sega and Archie didn't really lost to Penders. And wasn't the lawsuit agaisn't Bioware/EA at first anyway? Well, I don't think anyone won or lost. Sega could have very well allowed Archie to give Penders 1% or 2% of the share of the profits from the comic sales but that would have been like admiting he was right, which was the whole base of Archie's case (that he wasn't right because he signed the contract giving all his creations to SEGA, but Archie couldn't provide factible evidence of said contract). But they didn't so neither of them won.

I'm pretty sure they must have fixed the case out of court anyway. Maybe they gave Penders some money and made him sign a non-disclosure contract. Although there's now a new lawsuit by Ben Fullop. Who is claiming ownership of characters that aren't even in the comic anymore, but since trades of the old series are still being sold he most likely wants royalties of those.         

We should make Penders do the writing for Sonic Forces.

Surely if SEGA made him their friends there would be no more problems.

Then we could get the GREATLY demanded spin-off series all about the Echidna race! It's a must have!

3 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

Considering they've lost to Penders in every form possible up to this point I'd say it's certain being a Sonic game doesn't matter whatsoever.

Sega never lost to Penders, Archie did because Sega refused to help him.

2 hours ago, Captain Fun said:

This is some strong language about one guy who makes shitty comics.

That's how I talk. I've been here for three years, are people just catching onto this now?

My point about Shadow wasn't to use him as an evil Sonic currently, just that an evil alternative to Sonic is what he began as in SA2, and he was far more interesting there than any of the evil alternative Sonics in other continuities, even if he's basically got no reason to be there nowadays.

I agree with clelestbeathaeia's comment about Metal Sonic though, that's something we could actually continue to use in the games (assuming we'd actually get to hear him with a voice for once, since he can't emote at all).

21 minutes ago, Shaddy the guy said:

That's how I talk. I've been here for three years, are people just catching onto this now?

Should I know you?

4 hours ago, Diogenes said:

The werehog basically is "Dark Sonic". And as maligned as it has been, I'd much rather have that than a generic superpowered dark side like X did.

I guess? I'm not really fan of either idea but at least edgelord generic dark side Sonic is conducive to something resembling speedy action platforming. 

10 minutes ago, Captain Fun said:

I guess? I'm not really fan of either idea but at least edgelord generic dark side Sonic is conducive to something resembling speedy action platforming. 

The werehog easily could've had speedy platforming if they wanted. Maybe straight up boost gameplay would look a little silly, but nothing about the character requires the slow, combat-heavy gameplay we got; they could've had him just running, jumping, and swinging around.

• Thumbs Up 9

6 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

The werehog easily could've had speedy platforming if they wanted. Maybe straight up boost gameplay would look a little silly, but nothing about the character requires the slow, combat-heavy gameplay we got; they could've had him just running, jumping, and swinging around.

Considering thats what he did in the cutscenes more often than not I'm surprised they didn't go with that, like they still could've kept the combat if they wanted but there were so many things about the were hog that just felt really underutilized.

• Thumbs Up 8

5 hours ago, Celestia said:

Even in """old Sonic""" he barely ever did anything, but okay.

He was a techno wizard like one time. 

It was ok

Also there was this thing where shadow was trying to convince him to think for himself, which was most genuinely interesting thing that ever happened to his/her/its character in the history of metal sonic's existence and could have went somewhere interesting. He's now just a dumb robot though. 

6 hours ago, Jango said:

In Sonic X, Sonic turns into Dark instead of Super because he uses the power of the Chaos Emeralds while angry. Tails sorta explains that in Sonic Adventure, Chaos becomes evil/perfect because he's absorved the negative power of the Emeralds. Sonic then uses the positive power to become Super. But what if he used the negative power too??

Also that's weird because there is a character who already has that actual power, who's whole deal is making choices. Whats more silly than that is what said before, in comparison to everyone else on the roster, what in the world does sonic actually have to be angry about. 

32 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

what in the world does sonic actually have to be angry about. 

The store was all out of Chillidogs

Wait... why didn't anyone tell me this was a TSS comment?

Owww let me go investigate this.

Fun fact, as a TSS staffer I can check the history of people's comments very easily and very quickly.

So for those putting a lot of faith into Larry... he has a rather huge red flag. Because Larry said that a teaser trailer for Sonic Generations 2 would be shown at SXSW..... 2016's SXSW...

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2016/07/the-future-of-sonic-to-be-revealed-on-friday/

Which makes this comment look even more suspect.

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2016/07/sonic-project-2017-revealed/#comment-283328

People like this need to show evidence or shove off.

• Thumbs Up 1

Still, there no way of winning.

Or is Boom Sonic, new character that will get hate for no reason, or is an fan character.

2 hours ago, Depression Kong said:

On the other hand, hatebases and journalists would tear this game to shreds with their utterly hilarious OC jokes. All this would do is give them even more material to make fun of.

Who gives half of a shit if you are making money

Since they teased a new character, I'd like to think the third game play style is featuring said new character.

Otherwise either Adventure Sonic is going to become a thing resulting in a TON of smug responses ala "In your face!" and such, or it's BOOM Sonic which will be a combination of a "meh" and "WHY?!!" rolled into one.

• Thumbs Up 2

I found this video talking about Classic Sonic's inclusion in Forces and thought it was pretty interesting, even finding myself in agreement:

What do you guys think?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

Since they teased a new character, I'd like to think the third game play style is featuring said new character.

Otherwise either Adventure Sonic is going to become a thing resulting in a TON of smug responses ala "In your face!" and such, or it's BOOM Sonic which will be a combination of a "meh" and "WHY?!!" rolled into one.

A complete set is better than asymmetry...soooo, the new character shan't be playable for reasons of balance. If only.

Fan response doesn't matter overall right now...

14 minutes ago, LargoDELLZ said:

I found this video talking about Classic Sonic's inclusion in Forces and thought it was pretty interesting, even finding myself in agreement:

What do you guys think?

Whoah I never thought it was due to nostalgia, but then again I never grew up with the classics. I'm not that bothered cause its an anniversary title but I agree classic sonic should now just take a rest in the games but I think he can do great in a comic or TV spinoffs.

Also hasn't introducing gimmicks to pad the game time already exist since the series went 3d in 1998?

8 hours ago, LargoDELLZ said:

*snip*

What do you guys think?

It's a pretty solid analysis overall but he's missing a key piece: we don't have and won't get a Modern Sonic only game because the boost gameplay is unsustainable. It doesn't matter how many people like it or how many chances Sonic Team has to iterate on it, its fundamental nature makes it too costly to develop an entire game around. Whether it's the werehog, 2d platforming sections, wisp powers, Classic Sonic or whatever this game's third style is, it's always going to need to be cut with something more resource efficient to get a game of sufficient length.

• Thumbs Up 5

6 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

It's a pretty solid analysis overall but he's missing a key piece: we don't have and won't get a Modern Sonic only game because the boost gameplay is unsustainable. It doesn't matter how many people like it or how many chances Sonic Team has to iterate on it, its fundamental nature makes it too costly to develop an entire game around. Whether it's the werehog, 2d platforming sections, wisp powers, Classic Sonic or whatever this game's third style is, it's always going to need to be cut with something more resource efficient to get a game of sufficient length.

I think that your reasoning here is pretty flawed, just because Sonic games usually included alternate gameplay styles is no reason to assume that the boost is solely to blame for their inclusion. If you honestly look back at the history of 3D Sonic games since the Dreamcast era you'll find that alternate gameplay styles have always features fairly prominently. I still think that Sonic Adventure is by far the biggest example of this, including no less than six different gameplay styles in the game; everything since then has been more restrained, with maybe only a couple of new experimental gameplay styles in each Sonic game. The drive for innovative gameplay ideas is a constant with the Sonic franchise, even as the boost is now once again forming the foundation of Sonic's 3D gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Kintor said:

I think that your reasoning here is pretty flawed, just because Sonic games usually included alternate gameplay styles is no reason to assume that the boost is solely to blame for their inclusion.

Sonic Team admitted as much about Unleashed, though.

• Thumbs Up 8

Just now, Diogenes said:

Sonic Team admitted as much about Unleashed, though.

That's still pretty shaky reasoning on your part. You're using an off-handed comment from nearly a decade ago to make sweeping accusations against the boost gameplay. While neglecting to note that the existence of multiple alternate gameplay styles have been a fact of 3D Sonic games since 1998. Sonic Team includes extra gameplay alongside the boost because they want to do so not because they have, in part of how Sonic operates.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

It's expensive and unsustainable

hmm... 'unsustainable'... is that going to be your new buzz word for attacking the boost gameplay? It's certainly more direct then 'boost to win' but it still lacks the sardonic charm of 'linear gameplay' in it's heyday.

Never mind that Sonic the Hedgehog is one of the biggest video game franchises on the planet, with ample resources to design sprawling levels to accommodate the latest iterations of Sonic's high speed gameplay. Its how the boost games from Unleashed to Generations got made in the first place. All those extra alternate gameplay ideas have been a part of the Sonic franchise since Sonic Adventure, as Sonic Team is want to do in more new 3D games.

Isn't Sonic Colors a Modern Sonic only game? Like without a secondary gameplay style like Werehog and Classic? Or do the Wisps count as a secondary gameplay style?

• Thumbs Up 3