Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

I was under the impression that modern Sonic games still used Mocap, just a lot more edited that Adventure era mocap. Isn't it standard practice for almost any game with complex animations anyway? And yeah I really doubt that's for the Movie, because we don't even know if that thing is actually in development. And the tweet is specifically refering to something for games. But it's not clear if it is for Forces.

54 minutes ago, RictalRose0 said:

I was under the impression that modern Sonic games still used Mocap, just a lot more edited that Adventure era mocap. Isn't it standard practice for almost any game with complex animations anyway? And yeah I really doubt that's for the Movie, because we don't even know if that thing is actually in development. And the tweet is specifically refering to something for games. But it's not clear if it is for Forces.

Yeah, the Sonic movie seems to be in some sort of limbo. Even when (North Korean?) hackers stole huge troves of data from Sony Pictures there wasn't anything mention of the Sonic movie in the leaks. I mean the movie is still probably happening but you right, it's unlikely this motion capture is for the movie.

As for the identity of the second figure in the motion capture? I guess it could be Silver. The kind of open-palmed gesture with his right hand, as though controlling or projecting some kind of power, is definitely something I could imagine Silver doing.

It'd be a bold move bringing back Silver, seeing as how his most famous game was of course Sonic 06. Still, the speculated time travel shenanigans, with Eggman having somehow already taken over the world, is exactly the kind of doomsday threat that gets Silver involved.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, RictalRose0 said:

So I saw this post on tumblr

https://creaturebelowthedeck.tumblr.com/post/159153042819/this-came-from-nakamurashuns-twitter-page-where

Shun.thumb.jpg.2df70dbaaddc07e82a95e6838c4fbefc.jpg

It's apparently Shun Nakamura doing some mocap for what appears to be Sonic Forces (or something else?)

Now he's obviously doing Sonic here. But who's the guy in the back playing? Silver?

https://mobile.twitter.com/SEGA_OFFICIAL/status/847314142297956352

If this is for Sonic Forces, that will be very interesting. I think ever since Sonic Colours they've been using keyframed animations, so going back to motion capture will be pretty cool.

I just hope they can get it to look good, it always looked a bit wonky in SA2, '06 and even Unleashed to a lesser degree.

I still don't get the complaint that this game relies too much on Unleashed/Colors gameplay, you wanted something new? You got Lost World, and you didn't like it because it didn't play like a Sonic game.

Sonic Mania also relies a lot on the gameplay of the classics, it's the same thing, in fact it's literally a S3&K clone, not only that, but the game also rehashes stages from the past, while Forces has brand new zones and a brand new gameplay too (for the third character, which is confirmed not to be another Sonic).

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Sure, but at this point any discussions are bigger rehashes than Sonic 4.

So, Forces. With everything having had time to sink in, even though there's not actually been a lot to sink in, I'm still confused about the game. After Unleashed came and went, we've seen a serious shift to focusing on simple plots and focusing on the Classics. Colours stripped away all of the seriousness and plot focus that appeared from Adventure onwards, and Sonic 4 came about at the same time. After the series finally seemed to be finding its feet after so long, Lost World was an oddly bold and safe move that tried to mimic a classic aesthetic with Mario inspiration and new gameplay. It flopped. We've had worse games, but none that came straight off of a good-streak. 

Forces is talking steps back to the gameplay of Generations and some of the Adventure/otherwise more serious characteristics. It's got a really split personality going on. Despite the fact there's nothing saying this game will be less than adequate right now, Forces is really struggling to make an impression. I don't think I've ever been so neutral about an upcoming Sonic game. Everything else had always really excited me, or it's been blatant trash from day one. I need to see more of this game. I need to know why I should care. 

How can you not be excited just at the fact that it's another SONIC game, like ZOMG Sanic is da best. You just have to wait and see Blue Blood, it's going to be the best one yet. Sonic is back baby.

Spoiler

:')

53 minutes ago, Chameleon94 said:

I still don't get the complaint that this game relies too much on Unleashed/Colors gameplay, you wanted something new? You got Lost World, and you didn't like it because it didn't play like a Sonic game.

Sonic Mania also relies a lot on the gameplay of the classics, it's the same thing, in fact it's literally a S3&K clone, not only that, but the game also rehashes stages from the past, while Forces has brand new zones and a brand new gameplay too (for the third character, which is confirmed not to be another Sonic).

I did like Lost World, I'm one of the few people who can say so and even smaller few who prefers it over titles like Colors (which is just as guilty of having very non-Sonic level design tbh) yet here we are.

Also the reason why Mania is getting less flack than Forces is that the classic Sonic gameplay is good AND has depth to it. You could do a lot of interesting things with that gameplay style with new mechanics like the Drop Dash or the shields having environmental effects in the levels or include level specific gimmicks that aren't intrusive to the core gameplay. "Rehashed"? You must be talking about Pocket Adventure because remixing =\= rehashing. I mean did you saw the footage of Mania's Green Hill Act 2?

If you don't get the complaints, then it's probably a good idea to see where they're coming instead of being needlessly smug and dismissive about it. 

• Thumbs Up 7

2 hours ago, Chameleon94 said:

So we're not allowed to ask for anything new, or any improvements ever? We should just be grateful that Sonic Team recognized they screwed up and be overjoyed when they return to the least-worst alternative that fans won't start causing riots over? That's a unique way of thinking right there.

6 hours ago, RictalRose0 said:

https://creaturebelowthedeck.tumblr.com/post/159153042819/this-came-from-nakamurashuns-twitter-page-where

It's apparently Shun Nakamura doing some mocap for what appears to be Sonic Forces (or something else?)

Now he's obviously doing Sonic here. But who's the guy in the back playing? Silver?

Ugh, I really really hope they don't use motion cap. It looks so awkward on very cartoonish characters, aka sonic characters. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Chameleon94 said:

When we want something new we have a tendency to want it to be good too. I know, us unpleasable Sonic fans over here. 

Don't throw this into some sort of dichotomy here. "Either you get a boost game or you get a total mess with no direction and you'll like it." No thanks. 

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, RictalRose0 said:

I think it could be classic Sonic, but who knows?

1 hour ago, Soni said:

I did like Lost World, I'm one of the few people who can say so and even smaller few who prefers it over titles like Colors (which is just as guilty of having very non-Sonic level design tbh) yet here we are.

Also the reason why Mania is getting less flack than Forces is that the classic Sonic gameplay is good AND has depth to it. You could do a lot of interesting things with that gameplay style with new mechanics like the Drop Dash or the shields having environmental effects in the levels or include level specific gimmicks that aren't intrusive to the core gameplay. "Rehashed"? You must be talking about Pocket Adventure because remixing =\= rehashing. I mean did you saw the footage of Mania's Green Hill Act 2?

If you don't get the complaints, then it's probably a good idea to see where they're coming instead of being needlessly smug and dismissive about it. 

Frankly, your personal preferences for the game aside, Lost World never should have existed. As a fanbase we were onto a good thing with Sonic Unleased, a new evolution of Sonic's 3D gameplay in the boost that actually got a lot of people talking happily about Sonic games again. Next came Sonic Colours, which although it had a little too much 2D gameplay, it still continued the positive trend that Sonic Unleashed stared. Finally we had Sonic Generations, that successfully used the excuse of Sonic's 20th anniversary to show how fan favourite levels from the past could be successfully adapted into the boost gameplay.

I mean, things might be a bit hazy for some people looking back at 2011 but it really did looked like the Sonic franchise was about to shake-off the stigma that Sonic 06 caused, thanks to the stability that the boost gameplay provided. But then Lost World went and pissed away all that good will, confirming all the worst prejudices many gamers had about the consistency of Sonic’s 3D gameplay. Plus, making Lost World a (at the time) Nintendo exclusive just added insult to injury; pushing away all those who bought Sonic Generations on PC, PS3 and 360 to once again support the Sonic franchise.

I think that’s the worst of it, why Lost World is such an appalling stain on the history of the Sonic franchise. Sonic 06 was a disaster but at least it had ambition, as a logical extension of the Sonic Adventure gameplay for a new console generation. Lost World however, that was a bad idea from day one, a visceral betrayal of everything that Sonic Generations had achieved to make Sonic into a watered-down Mario clone; truly disgraceful.

I’m just glad that Sega and Sonic Team are finally seeing sense with Sonic Forces; So that the Sonic fanbase and the rest of the gamming community can put the last six years behind us.

For all we know the third gameplay style could be Lost World refined tough.

This game will be like Adventure 2, except all 3 gameplay styles will actually be like Sonic games. That is a cool way too see it imo.

55 minutes ago, Fusion Ellipsis said:

When has classic ever poised like that.  Now silver. He holds his arms like that in victory poses.

Or it's a jojo sonic tie in

Also o don't think anyone outright hates boost gameplay. It's the fact 87% of a stage consist of literally just holding it down and hitting left and right many times

do you guys think Classic Sonic will talk this time?

4 hours ago, Chameleon94 said:

And now I'm getting another game that doesn't play like a Sonic game. What part of that is supposed to make me happy?

• Thumbs Up 6

1 hour ago, Fusion Ellipsis said:

That would involve Classic Sonic doing an interesting, dynamic pose in a 3D Sonic game that isn't a forced reference to some obscure artwork.

Anyway I absolutely loved the mo-cap in Unleashed so I'd be absolutely down with them bringing it back, just as long as Eggman's animations retain their hamminess.

• Thumbs Up 4

I REPEAT.

We know nothing about this game.

People are getting WAY, WAY, WAY. too upset, over almost nothing. Stop that. I thought some guys had great arguments, but now you're whining because that's not what you wanted.

I'm not even hyped for this game anymore, just for the sake of being neutral until we get more news. Because I'm tired of saying "oh, I think this game won't be bad" only to see THE SAME people repeating how much they are upset over this game.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, Diogenes said:

And now I'm getting another game that doesn't play like a Sonic game. What part of that is supposed to make me happy?

So what plays like a Sonic game?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Chameleon94 said:

So what plays like a Sonic game?

S3&K, Sonic Mania, and Sonic Utopia.

• Thumbs Up 6

13 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I think you meant what plays like a genesis sonic game. As a sonic game could be anything to someone fmdiffrent.  sa1 is a "sonic " game

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Nice, that's all I needed to know. It's not that I don't like Mania, I'm just not excited for it, I wanted a main HD game and with brand new zones that plays like the classics, so I guess I'll have to wait and see the Classic gameplay for Forces...

• Thumbs Up 1