Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

Maybe it's  just me, but I never really hated the boost. Is that great? Well not really. But its okay by my standards. I think it looks pretty good in Sonic forces! I can't  wait for what Iizuka has to say, i was sure we were going to have to wait a few months. 

...Mmm...

I feel an apology and correction is in order...

With steam let out, my real main point at heart was simply for Iizuka to be there, but for us to have the opportunity to see other faces spearheading both Forces and Mania more than we have seen.

It's reasonable for Iizuka to be in interviews and the like, but I would much rather see Whitehead and that 06 guy in the front with Iizuka in more of a... Supporting cast kind of position in videos and/or interviews for the time being. The head honcho that's showing a bit of the humility the rest of the company seems to be showing as of late and is letting himself be the topping on the cake, but not the cake itself...

That was what I meant to get at.

• Thumbs Up 1

It would be nice to hear more from Nakamura outside of his Twitter but eh, whatcha gonna do I guess?

I mean, anyone who could give us more insight on the game would be fine. I don't care who

• Thumbs Up 8

13 minutes ago, Josh said:

I mean, anyone who could give us more insight on the game would be fine. I don't care who

brb, calling my uncle who works at sega

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, BlueParadox said:

Honestly, I think this kind of mechanic could be applied to Sonic:

When the player taps the boost button once, Sonic will start running really fast with a "normal boost". However as the boost gauge starts going down there could be a small colored section in the gauge that will allow Sonic to reach even higher speeds and make his boost stronger. But when using the "Perfect Boost", the boost gauge could start going down faster; the reason for this is so that the player uses the "perfect boost" with caution, since he/she won't be able to defend himself/herself from stronger enemies if the gauge is completely empty.

So kinda like Gears of War's active reload system? Some sort of meta game-within-a-game that players can choose to partake in, so that they may gain certain advantages at the risk of setbacks for failures.

I like it. Sounds like it would give advanced players and speedrunners something else to play with, and casuals wouldn't be able to complain about it too much, as it is a facet of the game that can be ignored by beginners or the risk adverse.

11 hours ago, Diogenes said:

When in a boost game have you ever needed camera control, though? The level design and mechanics are so locked down that they can just point the camera in the only direction you can go anyway.

320px-SonicGenerations_SkySanctuaryAct2.jpg.c0ab81c6f93138a12ff0ef8e1fe77143.jpg

Sonic-Generations-Planet-Wisp.thumb.jpg.922fea0ae240e4cf63143e082f685e00.jpg

Believe it or not, Generations really wasn't as linear and forward focused as you'd think.

There's one instance that really sticks out to me in Sky Sanctuary Act 2. Towards the end of the level there's a glowy-orb-teleporter-thing, but it's off the beaten path, so trying to get to it is a real fight with the camera to see where it even is. Also, that Shadow battle was a pain.

I don't see any reason for a 3D platformer in 2017 to not have camera control options of some kind. Lack of necessity doesn't justify its complete and total removal.

• Thumbs Up 5

3 hours ago, BubbleButt TV said:

Lack of necessity doesn't justify its complete and total removal.

Yes, it does.

Specially if the camera could break the pace of the game, the game itself, and even make it shine all kind of graphic/gameplay flaws

• Thumbs Up 2

Looking at that screen got me pondering about how this will run on Switch over other versions? Could we see another Wii situation? Or the first proper multi platform Sonic game since Heroes? :o 

Edit: My forgetful memory. Shadow the Hedgehog was the last game to be released on all home console platforms.

9 minutes ago, Mark1 said:

Looking at that screen got me pondering about how this will run on Switch over other versions? Could we see another Wii situation? Or the first proper multi platform Sonic game since Heroes? :o 

Edit: My forgetful memory. Shadow the Hedgehog was the last game to be released on all home console platforms.

I've been wondering that myself. I think that it will probably be another Wii situation, where the Switch version of Sonic Forces is significantly different compared to main version available on other platforms. Which personally doesn't inconvenience me, as I plan to buy Sonic Forces on either PS4 or PC. Although, the inevitable forum drama when Sonic Forces looks worse on the Switch is going to cause no end of problems around here.

I don't think a free-moving camera is a good idea since there are likely places left without detail and possibly without textures at all since with a fixed camera you'd never see these places under normal circumstances. A free-moving camera means the company would have to put the time and budget into filling in these normally empty spaces since players would be able to see any and everything at any given time in a stage, and they would likely rather keep the strain on staff and the budget itself to a bare minimum.

This is the only reason I wouldn't want or see a free-moving camera happening in a boost game.

46 minutes ago, Kintor said:

I've been wondering that myself. I think that it will probably be another Wii situation, where the Switch version of Sonic Forces is significantly different compared to main version available on other platforms. Which personally doesn't inconvenience me, as I plan to buy Sonic Forces on either PS4 or PC. Although, the inevitable forum drama when Sonic Forces looks worse on the Switch is going to cause no end of problems around here.

Hoping this won't be the case. Looking at at the detail in the new Mario game I'd love to see Sega try to get this game to run close to that and have all the same levels. Would be pretty satisfied to have that experience on a portable.

If It's Unleashed Wii again...then I'll be pleased to have a PS4 at least ?

Wasn't Unleashed on Wii a port of the PS2 version which was only made because the PS2 was still massively popular even after a few years of having the PS3 on sale?

Just wondering why people worry it's going to happen again when it was different circumstances last time.

5 hours ago, BubbleButt TV said:

There's one instance that really sticks out to me in Sky Sanctuary Act 2. Towards the end of the level there's a glowy-orb-teleporter-thing, but it's off the beaten path, so trying to get to it is a real fight with the camera to see where it even is.

That teleporter doesn't activate until you continue along the regular path, and serves only to put you straight back on the path should you fall down. It's neither a shortcut nor an alternate path. So, I don't know why it sticks out to you at all. 

Although having said that.. it bugs me to no end that the games no longer have camera control, but it served no purpose in Unleashed and actually broke the levels due Sonic's movements relying on splines. I would rather they changed the gameplay style to something where it actually matters than they just slap it on where it actually acts to a game's detriment. 

• Thumbs Up 2

20 minutes ago, Mark1 said:

Hoping this won't be the case. Looking at at the detail in the new Mario game I'd love to see Sega try to get this game to run close to that and have all the same levels. Would be pretty satisfied to have that experience on a portable.

If It's Unleashed Wii again...then I'll be pleased to have a PS4 at least ?

The hardware limitations of the Switch, especially when it isn't docked, are always going to make third-party games difficult to get working properly. Nintendo generally gets the most out of their own hardware but they rarely share such proprietary information with other publishers or developers, Sega is probably on their own with trying to make a Switch version of Sonic Forces. Heck, I'm half expecting Dimps to make the Switch version, given how these situations usually play out.

2 minutes ago, Woun said:

Dat Boost.

Kay, mostly Modern Sonic gameplay screens, and not Classic/third gameplay screens. 

I do wonder what the Japanese text says...

5 minutes ago, Kintor said:

The hardware limitations of the Switch, especially when it isn't docked, are always going to make third-party games difficult to get working properly. Nintendo generally gets the most out of their own hardware but they rarely share such proprietary information with other publishers or developers, Sega is probably on their own with trying to make a Switch version of Sonic Forces. Heck, I'm half expecting Dimps to make the Switch version, given how these situations usually play out.

You've actually got it the wrong way round, most games run better handheld than docked, because handheld mode is 720p while docked is 1080p.  Nintendo and SEGA have a good relationship, Sonic Team have had plenty of time to get to grips with the system and the idea that Nintendo would keep secrets to themselves that would cause their much-needed third party support to suffer is completely ridiculous.

• Thumbs Up 4

It looks like all the screenshots are from the same stage as the one revealed in the gameplay trailer. Still, the interview itself might contain some interesting information. So, does anyone on SSMB know how to read Japanese?

Edit:

1 minute ago, JezMM said:

You've actually got it the wrong way round, most games run better handheld than docked, because handheld mode is 720p while docked is 1080p.  Nintendo and SEGA have a good relationship, Sonic Team have had plenty of time to get to grips with the system and the idea that Nintendo would keep secrets to themselves that would cause their much-needed third party support to suffer is completely ridiculous.

You're going to have a hard time selling the idea that Sonic Forces won't look worse on the Switch, especially one the Switch's hardware is throttled down when it's undocked. Publishers have to sacrifice detail to obtain a steady framerate when undocked. The Switch is basically a Nvidia Sheild in a new shell, it can't compete on the same level as the other platforms.

According to the joys of Google Translate, the mag may indicate the third playstyle ISN'T Boom Sonic. I'm unsurprised. 

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, Woun said:

I can try translate it. But it's need some time.

Don't stress yourself out over it. I'm sure some media outlet or blog will get the article translated within 24 hours or so anyway.

5 minutes ago, Kintor said:

It looks like all the screenshots are from the same stage as the one revealed in the gameplay trailer. Still, the interview itself might contain some interesting information. So, does anyone on SSMB know how to read Japanese?

Edit:

You're going to have a hard time selling the idea that Sonic Forces won't look worse on the Switch, especially one the Switch's hardware is throttled down when it's undocked. Publishers have to sacrifice detail to obtain a steady framerate when undocked. The Switch is basically a Nvidia Sheild in a new shell, it can't compete on the same level as the other platforms.

A lot of people are gonna be fine with a hit on graphics for the sake of portability, it's kind of how handheld games have worked forever.  If someone cares more about graphics they'll be getting the PC version anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

Welp, the dream is dead and so is Boom.

But hey, actual deconfirmation about Boom Sonic being in Forces is the most attention Boom has gotten from SEGA in MONTHS!

• Thumbs Up 2