Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

There's several reasons why the boost games would use a fixed camera. Part of it is like Diogenes said, camera control is not necessary. The boost games aren't interested in having the player stop, look around, and explore. What they are interested in having the player do is this:

Boost level design is basically comprised of straight hallways. You may have a choice of which straight hallway you're going down, but you're going down a straight hallway nonetheless. Granted, the fixed camera makes the few areas where Generations tries to open up a bit more, like the park in City Escape, more frustrating than they need to be, but, given that Sonic can't turn for shit in the boost games, exploration was always doomed to be an exercise in awkwardness, camera control be damned.

Another part of it is as Chris Knopps said, a fixed camera helps reduce the workload. If the developer knows exactly what area is going to be in frame at any given moment then they only need to worry about what's in that area. Everything else could be a black void and the player would never know because it's off screen and they can't adjust their view to look at it. As we've already established the boost games take a ton of time and resources just to make levels of a decent length, anything that can reduce that workload is a godsend to Sonic Team. The fixed camera also makes it easier to ensure that the game runs smoothly. Drawing visible objects to the game world chews up way more RAM than just about any other action a computer can perform. Using up too much RAM will cause the framerate to drop and can even crash the game if it gets bad enough. Using a fixed camera gives the developer near total control of how many objects are onscreen at a given time, making it easier to prevent this from happening (not that a competent dev team shouldn't be able to prevent it from getting that bad anyway). This also applies to 2D sections just as much, if not more than camera control.

There's also the '06 factor to take into account. The camera controls were a major criticism of Sonic games prior to '06. It's not unlikely that SEGA, being SEGA, decided it was easier to simply axe them, as they did with just about everything else which received criticism in '06, rather than put in the effort to fix them.

• Thumbs Up 6

4 minutes ago, JezMM said:

A lot of people are gonna be fine with a hit on graphics for the sake of portability, it's kind of how handheld games have worked forever.  If someone cares more about graphics they'll be getting the PC version anyway.

You say that now but the whole "my console's game looks better then your console's game" rhetoric is a fact of life in the gaming community. I expect that when the time comes Sonic Forces will be used as another major example of hardware difference between the Switch and everything else in the current console war.

Welp, looks like the new character in Forces will be the third gameplay style it seems.

Story:

新たな力を手に入れたエッグマン軍のてにより、世界の99%が支配されようとしていた。その危機に立ち向かうのは、ソニックとその仲間たちレジスタンスのメンバー。さらに、もうひとりのソニックもこの世界に出現して・・・!

Wait pls, i'll translate this text.

• Thumbs Up 3

Boom Sonic not being the third character is fine to be honest. Imagine the reception if it happened!

9 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Third character is an "unexpected character".

https://www.twitter.com/BlueParax/status/852179630182338560

So, either a new character or an older one...

4 minutes ago, Woun said:

Story:

新たな力を手に入れたエッグマン軍のてにより、世界の99%が支配されようとしていた。その危機に立ち向かうのは、ソニックとその仲間たちレジスタンスのメンバー。さらに、もうひとりのソニックもこの世界に出現して・・・!

I tried Google translate...

99% of the world was going to be dominated by the Eggman army who got the new power. It is a member of Sonic and its companions resistance to confront the crisis. In addition, another Sonic also appeared in this world ...!

..New power? 

Another edit: https://mobile.twitter.com/BlueParax/status/852184303173869568

Forces will be playable in E3, I wonder whether we will see the classic/third gameplay there?

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, Woun said:

Story:

Hmmm, comparing multiple sources, this appears to be stating that Eggman has conquered about 99 % of the world, having obtained a new power and it's up to Sonic and friends who are members of some resistance to confront him and his army. It apparently also notes that a new Sonic has appeared in this world.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Soni said:

Welp, looks like the new character in Forces will be the third gameplay style it seems.

Unexpected does not equal new and frankly anybody not named "Sonic" would qualify as unexpected at this point. We could be looking at a new character, but we could just as easily be looking at someone like Shadow or Eggman too.

If it was Boom!Sonic don't you think that they would of confirmed him by now tho? 

4 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

If it was Boom!Sonic don't you think that they would of confirmed him by now tho? 

That's what I was thinking. I do wonder if this "power" mentioned in the story could be tied to the third gameplay style?

Can we please talk about how the article claims that the modern stages are about "completing the stage within a time limit".

11 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

Hmmm, comparing multiple sources, this appears to be stating that Eggman has conquered about 99 % of the world, having obtained a new power and it's up to Sonic and friends who are members of some resistance to confront him and his army. It apparently also notes that a new Sonic has appeared in this world.

Gonna go out on a limb and guess that "In addition, another Sonic also appeared in this world ...!" is referring to Classic Sonic.

I still think the third gameplay style is just gonna involve one (or both) of the Sonics that are already in the game. But another character would be nice.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Depression Kong said:

Can we please talk about how the article claims that the modern stages are about "completing the stage within a time limit".

Sounds like Lost World.

3 minutes ago, Soni said:

Sounds like Lost World.

and  there's  the  problem

• Thumbs Up 1

An absolute non-problem, since the timer in Lost World and the classic games was piss-easy to beat, just like the rest of the games themselves were and this one will be.

Second part from Story:

エッグマンの新たな力の影響で、なんとモダンソニックに加えてクラシックソニックも仲間に。ふたりのソニック、ふたつのスタイルでハイスピードアクションが展開!さらに、詳細はまだ不明だが、もうひとつのスタイルも存在するのだとか。

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, LW's time limits were more constricting than ten minutes, though it was still pretty generous. I don't like it because I dislike being limited in that matter, but that's just on principle rather than it actually affecting anything.

• Thumbs Up 1

if it's 10 min time limit on modern boost Sonic then it should be fine. With modern Sonic on this game you are mostly just boosting across hallways with little need to explore anyways. Personally I disliked having a time limit more on classic Sonic games because there was reason to explore on them.

6 minutes ago, Woun said:

Second part from Story:

エッグマンの新たな力の影響で、なんとモダンソニックに加えてクラシックソニックも仲間に。ふたりのソニック、ふたつのスタイルでハイスピードアクションが展開!さらに、詳細はまだ不明だが、もうひとつのスタイルも存在するのだとか。

Used Google translate:

With the influence of the new force of Eggman, how modern sonic, classic sonic is also a friend. Two sonic, high speed action develops in two styles! Furthermore, details are still unknown, but another style also exists.

EDIT: So now it's either a new character or a returning character that's said as new.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Tracker_TD said:

RIP, Boom Sonic. 

And the dream has died again. Papa bless.

• Thumbs Up 2