Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

RIP Sonic Forces 2017 - 2017.

The thing that irritates me is that Green Hill Zone in forces looks worse than the other stage shown in the main trailer. Markedly so...the difference in the quality between the two stages shown off in this game is bizarre. That city stage was beautifully detailed, where as this is...well...empty.

I feel as though I'll have been echoing a sentiment that has been played the fuck out on this board already but.

WHY FUCKING GREEN HILL ZONE AGAIN!??

No idea what to make of the new character. I hope to fuck that it isn't any of that "create a character" BS that that random asshole on the TSS article was spouting. Then again, I have been wrong about this shit literally every fucking time.

Good job SEGA/Sonic Team, you killed this game.

• Thumbs Up 4

4 minutes ago, Razorsaw said:

trailers often use earlier builds, and many games change significantly by release even in a time frame of under a year. So yeah.

Here's what Green Hill looked like when it was first shown off in Generations, it looked pretty awesome and not too far off from the final/real thing. So yeah.

• Thumbs Up 4

17 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

At this point it's really just more proof that this series is creatively dead, with nothing left to it but desperately playing the nostalgia card over and over again.

Honestly, this is a bit daft. From 2001 to 2011, Sonic Team dealt in nothing but creativity. Literally every new game had a new setting, or a new gameplay style, or a new character or whatever. All of them were different. And they were almost unanimously shat on. Mostly by the fanbase, no less.

So when they start 'playing the nostalgia card' in 2011 with Generations and it's suddenly an uncharacteristic hit, what is SEGA supposed to think? Easy: that sticking to what worked in the past is the way to go.

You can't bash all the times SEGA tried something new for a decade, and then suddenly turn around and whine they're being 'uncreative' when they stick to what garnered positive reception.

• Thumbs Up 8

5 minutes ago, Sonicfan7 said:

Here's what Green Hill looked like when it was first shown off in Generations, it looked pretty awesome and not too far off from the final/real thing. So yeah.

This had less time between video and release than Forces will have had from right now, and remember how much stuff changed. Tons of stuff about the game could be, or has already been changed from the first showings to the release, only not visible to us due to what version of the game is being shown.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

Ah, well it's the same reason most Sonic characters appear: People keep begging for them.

Yeah, and that's understandable, but I feel like what people have in mind when they beg for them to come back usually comes with a desire for them to be handled correctly too. At least I hope so. 

Then again, I do often hear people ask for Blaze to show up in nearly everything, even in things that would make no sense for her to be around for so... I guess that's just a thing that I want; characters to show up and for them to show up in a way that makes sense. But hey, maybe asking for that's a bit greedy of me.

• Thumbs Up 5

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

They probably shouldn't be showing it yet then.

are you seriously talking like developers shouldn't show off unfinished assets when promoting their game? cuz, like.

This is pretty normal.

snio5Gh.png

Just looking at the shape and angles of the squares between both games, the game is definitely taking more from Generations as far as art style goes. And we already know its engine is based on the hedgehog engine, so...

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, MorphAndBiscuits said:

You can't bash all the times SEGA tried something new for a decade, and then suddenly turn around and whine they're being 'uncreative' when they stick to what garnered positive reception.

Yes I can, when their new ideas are bad and their old ideas are bad.

• Thumbs Up 6

Just now, Sonikko said:

Unleashed was shown in a pretty early state too, when the Savannah Cittadel footage leaked, and what we got was not that different to what was shown. 

It was still most likely Alpha.

The Demo/Trailer builds are based on the most stable working copies of the game the development team is working in.

*Very simplified explanation ahead*

What you see is most likely from their working copies with some of the render values/textures turned on/increased for the purpose of a demonstration of final quality.

Given how the game is due for a... what... November/December release?

It's probably Alpha.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm currently in the camp of waiting for E3, people have made enough jokes about Sonic fans prematurely going "ruined forever" that I'm not sure how we keep falling into that trap. 

However if this game STILL looks this questionable at E3, it's time to abandon ship 

• Thumbs Up 8

Just now, Diogenes said:

Yes I can, when their new ideas are bad and their old ideas are bad.

Translation: "every idea they've ever had is bad."

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, MorphAndBiscuits said:

That's your words not his.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Detective Kaito said:

Sonic Generations looks perfect. Absolutely no one complained about the way this game looked. No fucking clue why they decided to change it.

I mean, I did a little bit, but it was mostly because I thought it didn't look as good as Unleashed and not because I thought it looked bad.

To this day I still think Unleashed looks the best out of all the games. I was hoping Forces would change that with it's Hedgehog Engine 2.0 but... so far it seems like that engine was just a heavily loan from the dump. Either that or the designers were using the Smash Bros. Brawl stage creator as a base for it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Razorsaw said:

are you seriously talking like developers shouldn't show off unfinished assets when promoting their game?

Not when what they've currently got looks bad. It does them no good to leave a bad first impression, and expect people to just assume that it'll be fixed by release.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, this is a bit daft. From 2001 to 2011, Sonic Team dealt in nothing but creativity. Literally every new game had a new setting, or a new gameplay style, or a new character or whatever. All of them were different. And they were almost unanimously shat on.

So when they start 'playing the nostalgia card' in 2011 with Generations and it's suddenly an uncharacteristic hit, what is SEGA supposed to think? Easy: that sticking to what worked in the past is the way to go.

I'm sorry, but this line of thinking is dumb. The newness of the games from 2001 to 2011 was shat on not because they were new and creative, but because those games were fucking bad. Generations was well loved not just because it tickled that nostalgia sense, but because it was a competently put together game that was fun (if shallow) and not broken in fundamental ways.

If SEGA cannot understand the nuance of the complaints the franchise is receiving, then its on them. Not on the fans. 

• Thumbs Up 7

I'm really liking the concept of this game. When Sonic Colors was announced, everybody was in rage, but now it is considered the best modern game so far.
Calm down guys, don't let your pessimism blind the reality. We just saw 3 seconds of the gameplay...

I have some feelings that Sonic Mania have some kind of link with Forces...

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, MorphAndBiscuits said:

Yeah that's Sonic for the last 10-20 years.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm not gonna make assumptions just yet.

Yes it looks like it's Green Hill again, but from the fact that it was in the background during Modern's gameplay, (With the city being destroyed by Eggman's giant mechs.) to the fact that there's sand all over the place, I don't know, I just have this itching feeling that there's more to this then meets the eye, and I need to see more before I make assumptions. Just like how in forces original trailer, a lot of us thought it was gonna be this edgy as hell Sonic game that's on the same level as 06 or Shadow, but as more got shown off, that wasn't really the case. (So far anyway.) Like I said,

I'm just gonna wait and see more before I make assumptions about stuff.

Plus it could still be a fun time, I liked Generations a lot, so who knows?

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Mayor D said:

That's your words not his.

I don't see how it could be interpreted in any other way. 

"Their new ideas are bad and their old ideas are bad."

Unless there's some sort of 'in the middle' ideas I wasn't aware of, I'd say that covers pretty much everything.

4 minutes ago, Sonicfan7 said:

and there are still parts of that that look unfinished compared to the final result.

That being said, that doesn't mean that Generations and Forces are using footage from the same point of development in promotion, either. The point is that it could go either way and people shouldn't be so quick to assume this is definitely the final look of the level. If it does turn out this is how the level will always look, I'm sure plenty of people will cheer for how right they were, but at this point, I stand by thinking it's too early to say.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't see how it could be interpreted in any other way. 

"Their new ideas are bad and their old ideas are bad."

Unless there's some sort of 'in the middle' ideas I wasn't aware of, I'd say that covers pretty much everything.

Their new ideas aren't bad for being new and their old ideas aren't bad for being old. It's not about finding some medium in between, it's about not making games based on shitty ideas regardless of if they're new or old.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

Not when what they've currently got looks bad. It does them no good to leave a bad first impression, and expect people to just assume that it'll be fixed by release.

Have you ever seen the first trailer for Hyrule Warriors? Because compare that to the final game.

A trailer's purpose is nothing more than to give people an impression of what the game might be like. Sometimes it's just a proof of concept, even.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Scar said:

I'm sorry, but this line of thinking is dumb. The newness of the games from 2001 to 2011 was shat on not because they were new and creative, but because those games were fucking bad. Generations was well loved not just because it tickled that nostalgia sense, but because it was a competently put together game that was fun (if shallow) and not broken in fundamental ways.

If SEGA cannot understand the nuance of the complaints the franchise is receiving, then its on them. Not on the fans. 

You're honestly going to assert that every Sonic game made between 2001 and 2011 is bad? No argument allowed? Seems a little presumptuous.

If I recall right, Unleashed and Colors were released in that period. As was Heroes. None of those were strictly bad. In fact, all three have a healthy following. Unleashed especially has garnered much support in recent years.

• Thumbs Up 3

I suppose that sums up thoughts on what we've seen so far. Just change the following line...

"THAT is the new Sonic game"

• Thumbs Up 3