Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

10 minutes ago, Razorsaw said:

Rise of Lyric showed better quality visuals than we ended up with, so if anything it's the reverse of the example I gave above. That's mostly because the game started development on different hardware.

But the gameplay and level design always looked shit.

• Thumbs Up 4

I like how a couple of pages back most of us were mocking the Buddy customisable character rumour and now a lot of us are just genuinely considering it as a possibility.

Spoiler

And when I say "a lot of us", I actually mean me, 'cause goddaaaaaaamn I think it might actually be true

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Dr. Chaotix said:

God... you know shit is fucked when I'm begging for them to use the method of handling the characters that was present in Shadow the Hedgehog.

One playable character but each of the other non-playable characters on their own personal mission contributing to the effort against the evil dictator come to take over the world? And sometimes even saying and doing things that matter in some of the cutscenes? Yes please.

Yes me to! I'd want that as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Razorsaw said:

That seems a bit hyperbolic when we're talking about the capacity to adjust visuals of all things, and not gameplay.

The visuals are just the shitty icing on a shitty cake when it comes to Forces' Green Hill Zone. Yes its dumb that they're using it, but its worse that it doesn't look as good as a 6 year old game running on previous generation hardware, and just awful that the level design doesn't look to be any good either.

What happened. Did they just stop trying?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

Because it's a Sonic game and having hope for it hasn't worked out in decades.

For you.

People liked games that you didn't like, Dio. I know is hard to understand, but is true.

• Thumbs Up 7

Just now, JosepMelloZSM said:

For you.

People liked games that you didn't like, Dio. I know is hard to understand, but is true.

That's nice, but how is that supposed to change my outlook on the situation?

• Thumbs Up 1

I never liked Classic Sonic as much as I should have so it looked pretty eh altogether. GHZ is like, whatever, honestly can't think of what other starting stage they could've used instead. It'd still be hilly and probably green, whatever it would be. At least it confirmed not every stage is on fire.

Eh. It'll probably be like Generations where I only replay Modern Sonic stages after beating it once... Depending on how the Bubsy stages play.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, Dr. Chaotix said:

God... you know shit is fucked when I'm begging for them to use the method of handling the characters that was present in Shadow the Hedgehog.

One playable character but each of the other non-playable characters on their own personal mission contributing to the effort against the evil dictator come to take over the world? And sometimes even saying and doing things that matter in some of the cutscenes? Yes please.

To be fair, you could play as the other person in shadow. 

You just had to plug in another controller like in DMC3

• Thumbs Up 1

Say what you want about SLW but damn at least it kept the good sense to not show most of its warts until people actually played it, this is the most premature hype crash ever seen for a mainline Sonic game 

• Thumbs Up 5

8 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

That's nice, but how is that supposed to change my outlook on the situation?

It won't, just remember there's people who love the boost games. That gave money to Sega, waiting more of that.

I have to remind myself that people like Lost World for some reason. Or that @Tracker_TD thinks that Heroes is the worst game ever.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

To be fair, you could play as the other person in shadow. 

You just had to plug in another controller like in DMC3

I know that. It's not relevant to mention it because the game's construction was obviously centered around a one-player experience despite that. That 2Player function is neat but it's pretty expendable.

Unless that shit could work like some kind of split-screen when you plugged it in. That'd be cool.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, JosepMelloZSM said:

It won't, just remember there's people who love the boost games. That gave money to Sega, waiting more of that.

I have to remind myself that people like Lost World for some reason.

of course if there is more demand then they will do it.

1 minute ago, Soniman said:

Say what you want about SLW but damn at least it kept the good sense to not show most of its warts until people actually played it

To be fair, we have only seen two levels.

• Thumbs Up 3

9 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

But the gameplay and level design always looked shit.

That it did, yes. I didn't like Boom at all from the word go, personally.

But the point is it it's still evidence of aspects changing significantly before final release. As far as level design goes, though, I'm looking at Generations and I'm seeing dash panels on slopes and before loops (though only in modern Sonic on Green Hill I will admit, they're there in Chemical Plant for classic Sonic though), and considering that's the benchmark people are using for comparison in this thread...

I'm going to keep waiting to see how it develops. And I think that it's justified for Forces.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, SSF1991 said:

To be fair, we have only seen two levels.

And the vitriol is already very apparent, which does not bode well for the rest of our hype cycle 

• Thumbs Up 3

7 minutes ago, Scar said:

The visuals are just the shitty icing on a shitty cake when it comes to Forces' Green Hill Zone. Yes its dumb that they're using it, but its worse that it doesn't look as good as a 6 year old game running on previous generation hardware, and just awful that the level design doesn't look to be any good either.

What happened. Did they just stop trying?

They... Are... BROKE!!!

This is literally an Unleashed/Generations hybrid on a budget. Even with the Modern Sonic stage and all its details there are still parts sorely lacking, like bullets flying at giant robots and vanishing before impact.

The cobwebs in the wallet are showing in this game, that's just how it's going to be. They're trying to make another Unleashed but likely with FAR less money put into it because Sonic just isn't worth SEGA digging THAT far into their budget anymore despite their hardships being entirely their fault.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, JosepMelloZSM said:

I have to remind myself that people like Lost World for some reason. Or that @Tracker_TD think that Heroes is the worst game ever.

heroes is the worst game ever though

I'm pretty curious as to what's up with all the sand in the GHZ stage, BTW. I wonder what that's all about.

Just now, Soniman said:

And the vitriol is already very apparent, which does not bode well for the rest of our hype cycle 

But the point is that you were saying that "at least Lost World didn't show most of its worlds until people played it" when that has, to be fair, been the case for Forces.

Oh my gosh everyone is complaining out a 30 second ad for Christ sake. Take it like this, they have until holiday 2017. You when that is? ANY DAY THAT'S A HOLIDAY! They could have a whole 8 more months for this game's development. 

"But that does not excuse  Rise of Lyric lookin piece of-" 

Stop it now. It is OBVIOUSLY an alpha like@Mayor D said. All that trash that you see is the definition of the word unfinished and you need to stop and think about.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Soniman said:

This is the Sonic fandom.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, Soniman said:

Say what you want about SLW but damn at least it kept the good sense to not show most of its warts until people actually played it, this is the most premature hype crash over seen for a mainline Sonic game 

Because its a marketing misfire of the ages. Perhaps someone at SEGA thought: "You know what will get people more excited about this game...? Green Hill Zone, they loved it in Generations right?......Right????".

And I mean it worked. We're all - well not exactly excited....more agitated, but there is more buzz around the game. Its just not what they'd have expected.

people here are groaning about GHZ, were probably okay with it in Mania. simply because of classic-era preferences .

especially when GHZ looks busy and is full of overplaced details.