Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

2 minutes ago, Soniman said:

I think your priorities are skewed if the story/writing in Sonic game is where your placing the majority of your expectations 

Just say no Pontaff and i'll be hype enough.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Why is it that this comment sounds typical in the most annoying manner possible...?

Because... It really, REALLY is...

Even when assuming it's running on PC of all things the game looks EASILY executable on last-gen hardware. Heck, the PS2/GameCube could probably handle how the "new" Green Hill looks albeit a bit of a stretch perhaps.

So no, the Switch will have NO affect on how the game looks. If it's something the 360/PS3 could handle, it can just fine.

I'm not saying that Green Hill looked good, because it didn't. I'm just saying that between this being early footage, and the Switch being underpowered, what we get in the end might actually be a lot better than this. I might be wrong, but this is a fact as of now.

What really sucked there was the level design imho.

Also,I like how everyone has joined the "fan character" bandwagon. I find it hilarious how almost everyone found it to be out the realm of possibility awhile ago. For me, I still think that's it's an actual character. Not much has really shown me otherwise.

2 minutes ago, RictalRose0 said:

Just say no Pontaff and i'll be hype enough.

Someone gets it.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, RictalRose0 said:

I'm pretty sure it's most likely a custom character. Think Xenoverse or something like that. Could be pretty cool tbh.

Yeah, this is an interesting possibility. If there is actually a full character building system then it could explain why where only see the back of that 'new character'. The character players can actually create in the game might look nothing like that. Not just a cat(?) but anything like a bird, or bear or of course even a hedgehog.

1 minute ago, blazefan519 said:

Bruh, what's your deal. Many others have, including myself, have literally gone over the fact that the Switch can handle the game perfectly fine. Do you have some kind of beef with the Switch, or Nintendo in general? Like, you're looking like you need some beef stew over there.

You can't change the laws of physics, the hardware in the Switch is demonstratably less powerful then a PS4 or modern gaming PC. This means that sacrafices have to be made for the sake of preformance. It's the same old story with Nintendo, they run with weaker hardware compared to the competiation. This will inevitably have a negative impact on Sonic Forces for the Switch, one way or another.

Am I the only one seeing something behind his/her right arm? It looks like someone moving, something moving in the distance. At first I thought it was a tail.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Kintor said:

Yeah, under the circumstances a compromise on graphics to achieve a stable framerate on the Switch seems the likely decision that Sonic Team had to make. Having a consisten framerate for Sonic's high speed gameplay is essential. At the end of the day the Switch isn't as powerful as other consoles, that's the price of making it portable.

This is pure speculation since the Modern Sonic footage looked identically detailed to what we've seen before.

• Thumbs Up 6

I can't honestly say what I believe the new character is.

If it ends up being a create-your-own, Xenoverse-style, then I'll be shocked, but also not necessarily pessimistic because that would invariably make the game sell better with the crowds of deviantart OC users and furry fandom.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, JezMM said:

This is pure speculation since the Modern Sonic footage looked identically detailed to what we've seen before.

Pure speculation is what Sonic fans do best. :P

I wouldn't be suprised if the classic footage is the only new footage created for Nintendo's presentation. Much easier to recycle PS4 level footage for the modern section.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Kintor said:

You can't change the laws of physics, the hardware in the Switch is demonstratably less powerful then a PS4 or modern gaming PC. This means that sacrafices have to be made for the sake of preformance. It's the same old story with Nintendo, they run with weaker hardware compared to the competiation. This will inevitably have a negative impact on Sonic Forces for the Switch, one way or another.

The laws of physics? What even, is..., you know what, Imma forget that line. With the whole, Switch is demonstrably less powerful, gameplay says otherwise. I mean, you thought that we were gonna get another Wii scenario, but that's been blasted out of possibility, lol. There is literally no evidence supporting the fact that "Nintendo Hardware will have a negative impact on Sonic Forces for the Switch". Like, where'd you even come to that conclusion?

1 minute ago, Kintor said:

Pure speculation is what Sonic fans do best. :P

I wouldn't be suprised if the classic footage is the only new footage created for Nintendo's presentation. Much easier to recycle PS4 level footage for the modern section.

It' not recycled. We've been over this.

• Thumbs Up 3

I am still hopeful for forces but E3 needs to win me back. That announcer had me feeling like I was watching a afternoon cartoon special *a very young kids* commercial from the 90s.

Just now, blazefan519 said:

The laws of physics? What even, is..., you know what, Imma forget that line. With the whole, Switch is demonstrably less powerful, gameplay says otherwise. I mean, you thought that we were gonna get another Wii scenario, but that's been blasted out of possibility, lol. There is literally no evidence supporting the fact that "Nintendo Hardware will have a negative impact on Sonic Forces for the Switch". Like, where'd you even come to that conclusion?

What I mean to say is that the microchips and circuits in the Switch are old tech. No hyperbole, the Switch is really just a rebranded Nvidia Sheild with the Steam support removed. Competing on equal footing with a PS4 or modern gaming PC just isn't going to happen.

5 minutes ago, Kintor said:

What I mean to say is that the microchips and circuits in the Switch are old tech. No hyperbole, the Switch is really just a rebranded Nvidia Sheild with the Steam support removed. Competing on equal footing with a PS4 or modern gaming PC just isn't going to happen.

If sales are anything to go by, then it's competing just fine. It's got enough specs so that devs can easily port their games over. I've said it before and I'll say it again. While hardware does have some component in porting games, the most important and essential factor is optimization. It doesn't matter how powerful a console is, if it's optimized poorly, it will run like garbage. And you better believe that this game will be optimized well for the Switch. Nintendo and Sega are buddies and I'd highly doubt Nintendo would ever let Sega, let a major Sonic game, like Forces, be poorly optimized.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Kintor said:

Just let it go man. You really need to stop focusing on the graphics/power. Sonic Unleashed was on of the best looking games out there when it first came out and nobody really gave a damn about it. Graphics/Power isn't going to save Sonic's reputation it's good games that will. 

• Thumbs Up 6

3 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

Not really, here I made a comparison

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/206506

You can clearly see which one is the switch footage and which one isn't. It's missing many details like plants, plus it's lower resolution

I can see the lower-res (but that could be a result of the video quality rather than the raw footage) but not seeing any missing props at all.

Just now, blazefan519 said:

Nintendo and Sega are buddies and I'd highly doubt Nintendo would ever let Sega, let a major Sonic game, like Forces, be poorly optimized.

... ... .... lol. Erm... well if you wanna believe that one go ahead but... yeah better wait for the DF comparison.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, JezMM said:

I can see the lower-res but not seeing any missing props.

My bad, I took the two screenshot in a slightly different timeframe, I fixed the comparison and edited the post. It's just lower resolution and lower AF I think.

Just now, Dejimon11 said:

Just let it go man. You really need to stop focusing on the graphics/power. Sonic Unleashed was on of the best looking games out there when it first came out and nobody really gave a damn about it. Graphics/Power isn't going to save Sonic's reputation it's good games that will. 

A lot of people respected Sonic Unleashed when it came out. Not everybody but Sonic Unleashed still marks a turning point for the franchise, when Sonic's repuation began to improve again. Part of that was due to the Hedgehog Engine, to really showcase Sonic's high speed gameplay. Power does matter, it always has and always will.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

Now to be fair you guys brough it up first. So graphics matter, now they don't? Yikes guys. Make up your minds. Also, I know you didn't really bring it up but others did so ya know.

Just now, Kintor said:

A lot of people respected Sonic Unleashed when it came out. Not everybody but Sonic Unleashed still marks a turning point for the franchise, when Sonic's repuation began to improve again. Part of that was due to the Hedgehog Engine, to really showcase Sonic's high speed gameplay. Power does matter, it always has and always will.

Then the media at large praised Sonic Colours as the best 3D Sonic game to date and the true return to form for the franchise that Unleashed was merely a precursor for, a game with significantly less graphical fidelity than Unleashed.

• Thumbs Up 7

7 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

... ... .... lol. Erm... well if you wanna believe that one go ahead but... yeah better wait for the DF comparison.

Sure thing!

7 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

My bad, I took the two screenshot in a slightly different timeframe, I fixed the comparison. It's just lower resolution and lower AF I think.

When your computer won't let you go to the site. cri

EDIT: I can see it (it's always been inside of me). The only thing is resolution, which is something I'm totally fine with if the gameplay is up to snuff.

Just now, JezMM said:

Then the media at large praised Sonic Colours as the best 3D Sonic game to date and the true return to form for the franchise that Unleashed was merely a precursor for, a game with significantly less graphical fidelity than Unleashed.

It was more that the media praised Sonic Colours for coming so close to replicating Sonic Unleashed's graphics and style on much weaker hardware. A huge technical achievement for Sonic Team when basically all they had to work with was 2 GameCubes duct taped together.

• Thumbs Up 1