Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

GHZ doesn't even really look that bad. It just kinda looks like Lost World. The only major outlier is the suspended platforms with the loop and the weird space under them, and that's just because it's a higher route (which you can tell because the floor collapses and you can see another palm tree underneath).

Actually, more on that shot, I think the weirdest thing about it is that Classic's speed doesn't change through the whole thing. Before hitting the booster, after hitting the booster, and all through the loop it remains constant. While I've never been a big player in the automation/booster wars (because arguing about how exactly a given person runs in a straight line is dumb), it is weird to me that the booster doesn't actually seem to do anything. 

Just now, Person said:

Know what?

"Join the Resistance" wasn't a slogan, it was an actual call to action. Character creator all but confirmed, this will be interesting. Can't wait to see all of the ridiculous-ass characters people make.

oh my god 

So yeah, all those statements by SEGA in 2015 "We're gonna make Sonic Great Again! Focus on quality!"

Looks like we're back in the same situation as 6 years ago when we were told that and yet Rise of Lyric happened.

For those who weren't around back then Iizuka said this in 2011:

"So originally it was more or less the same team working on all the different Sonic titles, but after a few years, for various reasons, we started to delegate Sonic games to different groups of people.

And everyone in the office has their own idea of what Sonic should be, so we started to see slightly varied, slightly different directions of Sonic games.

I was conscious of this, so I’m now back with full responsibility of all things Sonic. I have control over the direction of not just Sonic Generations, but all the Sonic titles that we will develop in the future.

So I have more control, and hopefully this will provide better appearances for future titles."

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2011/09/takashi-iizuka-talks-about-the-past-and-future-of-sonic/

This is the true Sonic Cycle of 2017: SEGA says "Next time we'll do better, we swear", fans get their hopes up -> Trailers reveal that SEGA is still playing it safe, if not making dumb decisions that bring the game down. -> Game releases, it's panned, fans are disappointed and after that the cycle restarts.

2 minutes ago, Person said:

Know what?

"Join the Resistance" wasn't a slogan, it was an actual call to action. Character creator all but confirmed, this will be interesting. Can't wait to see all of the ridiculous-ass characters people make.

I'm still gonna hold off on that. But if it really is true, prepare for the storm. The storm of OCs with horrid backstories and super powers. Hurrah!

3 minutes ago, Person said:

Know what?

...I mean, kids would probably like a feature like that, so I can see it from that angle. 

Adult fans would probably get alienated further though

2 minutes ago, Person said:

Know what?

This could actually be a really huge thing for Sonic Forces. Character creation, with the ability to instantly share your creation across social media. All Sega needs is a couple of big YouTubers to fart around with the character creator in a video or two and Sonic Forces will instanly sell like an extra 5 million copies.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Josh said:

...I mean, kids would probably like a feature like that, so I can see it from that angle. 

Or the meme might finally die

You kill the meme, by embracing it so hard and with quality everyone just goes " well its not fun anymore" 

Become a meme beyond the level of super meme, The legendary meme

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, blazefan519 said:

If I hear another stinking Sonic Cycle. Imma scream bloody murder. Jeez people.

1. We're mostly joking lighten up.

2. Ignoring it doesn't mean it's not happening.

Just now, pppp said:

1. This is the internet, I can't tell. I've become so numb to these sorts of things that you're better off just telling it to me straight.

2. I'm not ignoring anything, but I'm not gonna come up with this ridiculous rhetoric about a cycle that never existed.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, pppp said:

The joke is deader than the franchise. Which isn't saying much from my point of view, but probably is from yours. It's also a joke that's like, banned here, or something. And also that was never funny.

Plus, it's a joke that so many take seriously and try to use it as an excuse that you'd be hard-pressed to find a conclusive way to tell the difference.

4 minutes ago, pppp said:

It's not though. It never has been. For every major loss Sonic's had, there's been a decent game in the same year, and as far as I'm concerned, Forces at large still isn't a loss.

6 minutes ago, Josh said:

Or we could just act like adults? I don't see why a character creator is inherently bad, tons of other series have done it even with their own dumb OC-littered fanbases. Steven Universe did it, Dragon Ball in particular has really embraced it recently, why is it somehow taboo for Sonic?

• Thumbs Up 8

Just now, Shaddy the guy said:

Or we could just act like adults? I don't see why a character creator is inherently bad, tons of other series have done it even with their own dumb OC-littered fanbases. Steven Universe did it, Dragon Ball in particular has really embraced it recently, why is it somehow taboo for Sonic?

I don't see how anything about this game warrants a character creator or a third style focused around said character. I don't see what it adds to a series like this where I'm not here to project myself or immerse myself into the game.

It's nice that they're trying something new, but I don't see the point and I don't gain anything from it. I imagine most people don't since unlike, say, Fire Emblem, it's not one of the many things people were begging for. They somehow managed to miss all of those things and come to this.

This is all hypothetical, but I'll get to copy and paste this post come E3 instead of typing it, so at least I'm getting it out of the way now.

• Thumbs Up 8

4 minutes ago, Kintor said:

See the video I posted above about Phantasy Star Online. Sonic Team has been making great character creators since 2000.

This is not Phantasy Star Online where player characters are basically human-shaped. The geometry and proportions of Sonic character designs can vary a great deal more and of course different species, like crocodiles, would complicate the process even more. I don't think it's impossible but the idea of a Sonic game being given the resources for this to feel worthwhile wouldn't make a lot of sense.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Josh said:

I don't see how anything about this game warrants a character creator or a third style focused around said character. I don't see what it adds to a series like this where I'm not here to project myself or immerse myself into the game.

Actually, it's pretty amazing that it's taken over 25 years for Sonic Team to actually consider the potential for a character creator. The closest we've ever come before to this discussion were those false rumours about a Sonic MMORPG circa 2005. But a robust character creation system could really bring a lot of extra attention towards Sonic Forces. At this point it wouldn't hurt to give character creation a try and see how it pans out.

4 minutes ago, Kintor said:

Actually, it's pretty amazing that it's taken over 25 years for Sonic Team to actually consider the potential for a character creator. The closest we've ever come before to this discussion were those false rumours about a Sonic MMORPG circa 2005. But a robust character creation system could really bring a lot of extra attention towards Sonic Forces. At this point it wouldn't hurt to give character creation a try and see how it pans out.

You're not gonna sell me on this one, guy. Sorry.

• Thumbs Up 1

One thing I will say is this. It kinda bothers me that all the trailers and info so far are still the bare minimum. Tutorial stage and minor details about setting and story. Guess we really will have to wait till E3 to find out and get a real trailer, won't we?

Here's my speculation with the info so far

1. Apocalypse stage will be first stage
  2. Green Hill will be tutorial for Classic Sonic
  3. At the end of Green Hill something or someone will transport Classic to Modern's future
  4. Cue the cutscene from the trailer
  5. End of first level we'll see the new character, who will most likely be a custom character. You enter character creation.
  6. Thus, the game begins for real. Either there is a hub and a tutorial stage for your new character, or we go right away to the next level with Modern and Classic. The other characters will show up as the story progresses. Eggman will make a big boasting entrance or something like that.
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Josh said:

You're not gonna sell me on this one, guy. Sorry.

At this point there isn't actually anything to sell. We don't even know for certain that Sonic Forces will even feature a character creator or not. Still, after what has been glimpsed today I think that it's a distinct possibilty character creation is going to happen. It's an intriguing idea if nothing else, with huge potential.

4 hours ago, BlueParadox said:

Here's the new trailer:

Fuck.

Loki-Facepalm.gif

This looks bad. Like, really bad. Maybe it's an alpha build, but if it is they should have either made that clear or not shown it at all because all I can think right now is that this stage looks like shit. Seriously, I've seen Sonic World levels that look more professional. It's such a massive letdown, especially after how great the Modern stage looked. Now I'm worried that they blew their whole budget on that one level and the rest of the game is going to look like an even more boring version of Lost World.

As for that new character am I the only one who thinks he looks way too thin? His body is like an elongated oval, not a sphere or triangle like most Sonic characters. Regardless, I'm not going to jump on the hate train just yet. It's likely that he was deliberately posed, framed, and silhouetted in such a way as to obfuscate his most prominent features until a later reveal. Hell, for all we know they may have flat out edited the model to mislead us. Remember when Smash 4 modified Greninja's silhouette to make him look more like Mewtwo?

While we're at it: Remember how cool it was when you collected all 180 emblems in Sonic Adventure 2 and got to play a remake of Green Hill? Well SEGA sure does and they don't want you to forget how cool it is that you get to play the first level of the first Sonic game in the latest Sonic game too! Newsflash guys, nostalgia is subject to diminishing returns. Reuse something nostalgic too much and it ceases to be nostalgic and starts to become trite instead. In short: NO MORE GREEN FUCKING HILL, capicé?

• Thumbs Up 6

Dudes I seriously don't see why this fandom of all fandoms would complaim about being able to create your own character, custom skills, etc. Seems cool as hell. Or maybe it's just this forum because fans on Youtube, Twitter and Tumblr seem like they would like a character creation. Most cite Xenoverse too as an example of a good create a character.

• Thumbs Up 8

Boosters in Green Hill Zone, which looks worse than it did in a game that came out 6 years ago....

alright, now I'm worried :/

• Thumbs Up 2