Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

Just now, Chris Knopps said:

I believe it was me actually...

Really? Haha oh, I definitely remember bringing up the idea, but maybe I didn't see yours lol sorry 

Just now, KHCast said:

Really? Haha oh, I definitely remember bringing up the idea, but maybe I didn't see yours lol sorry 

It's likely we've both been taking our own spins on it. My theory is this game is post-Generations where, because of the Time Eater fiasco, the Genesis and Unleashed worlds have been warped and merged into one, reason being why Spagonia looks merged with Green Hill and why Green Hill looks merged with Sandopolis.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm hoping it's it's a case of the silhouette being so vague to prevent people from figuring it out so easily that it's literally leaving off features from the character....

I can hope right? 

Possible characters:My thoughts

1. Bubsy No
  2. Character creater- FFffffffff
  3. New Character-:unsure:
  4. Existing character-THANK GOD

I just found out about this, and I feel like I'm in the grieving process right now. My mind is just full of fuck. I'm angry, sad, annoyed, and indifferent at the same time!

As for Green Hill... no clue. Felt a small amount of anger, saw other people discussing it, then I realized there's just too little to go off of at this point.

I'm hoping we get SOMETHING at least that can quell the sheer negativity right now. 

288.png

Please oh lord Sonic Twitter account, or someone, tell us something good. E3 could not be any further away.

• Thumbs Up 9

I'm still on the fence about adding another character again, but seriously we already have such a widely varied cast already it continues to baffle me with how they think it's not enough.  I understand the complete and utter dismay at Green Hill.  For all it's funky design and timeless music, this is what you teach at video game school as overkill of a good thing.  Since it's looking more of he same though, I highly doubt it's going to be a scourge to the series.  However I'm struggling to hype myself for this.  Probably because I ain't got no console for it XP

• Thumbs Up 2

They're not even making Green Hill look new anymore...and it's great and all.

But whatever happen to variations on existing icons...like Neo Green Hill Zone, that was "good" new take on it.

Jesus, is Green Hill really in this too?

Look, I hate most of the post-genesis games, so I'm the exact kind of moron you'd pull out old levels for. I'll eat that up, get my gut good and ripe off nostalgia. But I could honestly do without Green Hill for the millionth time. Not only that, but it seems so bland and flat this time around. Generations was far more lively, and especially when you stack up this take against Mania's... jeez, man. Jeez.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, StaticMania said:

There's not yet to hate on...besides the potential blandness of its design. The Character may be the best thing ever, like all other characters.

Or it could be an attempt to have a mysterious new character, and fail... again. 

I hope they learned and try if it is infact an entirely new character and not some Xenoverse situation, that the character is only being kept a mystery for marketing and not the story itself, because trying to shadow again will lead to failure. Hopefully character gets to be, themselves and be cool on their own merits instead of trying to capture lightning in a bottle again

So, I think we can officially say that GHZ has regained its hate-boner throne from SeaSide Hill / Ocean Palace.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Fr0zenanus said:

people here are groaning about GHZ, were probably okay with it in Mania. simply because of classic-era preferences .

especially when GHZ looks busy and is full of overplaced details. 

First page of the Mania thread:

6 hours ago, MorphAndBiscuits said:

When SEGA try new things: "it sucks, go back to the old games."

When SEGA go back to the old games: "it sucks, try new things."

What do both of your points have in common?

5 hours ago, Lighthead said:

I think putting GHZ in Forces is more about marketing than for us. It's so casual Sonic fans glance upon this game and go oh, I remember green hill zone from Sonic! Maybe I'll pick this up.

Why they feel this now and not the 100 other times, who knows but I bet it's for marketing.

Welly, yeah, SEGA's reliance on it is part of the problem.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, JezMM said:

To be honest it also bothers me to have this "uncertain" part of the canon floating around due to the customisable nature of the character.

But eh the moon's backwards, little planet's in the death egg, there are two worlds that the entire cast travels through depending on game aesthetic, some wisps decided to stay behind, the lost hex is a thing.  What's one more for the pile at this point.

As someone who also cares about the canon, I wouldn't worry about it too much. The game will probably end (assuming there is a customizable character) with the player's avatar returning to their dimension, or timeline, or something. Or maybe they'll just die at the end. Either way, the canon remains secure.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm lost. Is there any reason, beyond some random comment left here months ago, to believe there is a customizable character?

I have never felt so underwhelmed and uninterested at a Sonic game before. The 2D retro Sonic game actuslly looks FAR more appealing than this. =/ The new character looks generic af too. Even a customisable character sounds...ehhhh. Not keen, not keen.

and are you fucking kidding me right now Green Hill Zone AGAIN looking blander than ever?? Wow. 

• Thumbs Up 4

12 minutes ago, Spooky Mulder said:

I'm lost. Is there any reason, beyond some random comment left here months ago, to believe there is a customizable character?

The new character, from what we can make out, looks both surprisingly generic and surprisingly irrelevant.  Their body has no distinguishing features that give them a unique silhouette, and it's not clear why a game where two out of the three playable characters are Sonic the Hedgehog would have a third character who is a new but underdesigned cat (or other non-hedgehog).  The new character being customisable explains all of these factors.

I don't know if anyone is actually taking the alleged "leak" from months ago seriously; I'm viewing it as potentially correct by coincidence.

• Thumbs Up 6

Okay so now that the flames have settled (I really hope they have), I have to say I'm not as dissapointed as others are but I can see why you're worried.

C9QA5AUUMAAL2Km.thumb.jpg.0e185c36cf117e67705133f2768aa33f.jpg

My theory as to why the boost-pad is before the loop is basically: 'Sonic Team don't have faith in the player's ability to make it through the loop on their own'. 

I imagine Sonic could easily make it through the loop and for a game that's releasing in a post-Sonic Mania world, they'd be stupid to not have improved the physics to the point that it's 1-1 with the classics. Still, should the booster be there? No, of course not.

As for the change in aesthetic... I kinda like this one. It certainly doesn't look worse or even bad. It's just different. And it was most likely done to keep the game at a solid 60-fps so who knows.

• Thumbs Up 2

Man I feel bad for Aaron Webber. He knows what the game is about and unless there is secretly an amazing game underneath all this GHZ recycling garbage, he has to feign excitement for a game he probably knows will be under par.

I mean imagine knowing that there is going to be a silly character creator or a random new character when you're in constant communication with fans that express a desire for existing characters to return, and then knowing there ain't shit you can do about it.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, BubbleButt TV said:

Okay so now that the flames have settled (I really hope they have), I have to say I'm not as dissapointed as others are but I can see why you're worried.

C9QA5AUUMAAL2Km.thumb.jpg.0e185c36cf117e67705133f2768aa33f.jpg

My theory as to why the boost-pad is before the loop is basically: 'Sonic Team don't have faith in the player's ability to make it through the loop on their own'. 

I imagine Sonic could easily make it through the loop and for a game that's releasing in a post-Sonic Mania world, they'd be stupid to not have improved the physics to the point that it's 1-1 with the classics. Still, should the booster be there? No, of course not.

As for the change in aesthetic... I kinda like this one. It certainly doesn't look worse or even bad. It's just different. And it was most likely done to keep the game at a solid 60-fps so who knows.

Make it through the loop...

It actually looks normal sized and comes after a long enough straight line where Sonic would've already reached enough speed to get through the loop...

Instead of those stupid over-sized loops which he just can't get through at average ground speed.

13 minutes ago, BubbleButt TV said:

It's been mentioned before in this thread today but it really does look like the water in the Green Hill Zone has been replaced by sand. Plus, there are certain elements that look like they belong in Seaside Hill instead. There's a good chance this mish-mash of elements is a deliberate plot point in Sonic Forces. Maybe Eggman didn't just conquer the world, he broke reality.

Come to think of it, the idea of a broken reality might also suggest another important plot point. I can't imagine that Eggman's new world is altogether stable; the whole reality could be constantly teetering on the brink of collapse. Sonic and the rest of the heroes will probably have to save the day and fix everything before that happens.

• Thumbs Up 3

3Xqigly.jpg

Also, I really don't think the level will be as one-dimensional as y'all are thinking. The appearance of Red Star Rings has already shown that exploration will be encouraged and maybe that the levels will have more depth to them.

Remember, Iizuka did say that there'd be a twist on the classic Sonic play-style. There's probably way more than meets the eye here.

Spoiler

please... ?

• Thumbs Up 2

Actually I won't defend that Green Hill thing because that's exactly my main problem with Mania too. It's just... old stages. It's just a copilation game where is the twist? I wanted Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (And not that crap Dimps made). Not "Generations 2: Genesis edition". I really do hope Mania does it's own thing, new stages, new story, maybe a new classic playable character too? Like Amy or Metal? Something like that. Just you know, something that makes it worth it. Again, I don't care how polished it is, if it's jus Genesis Generations then that's a problem.

I'll say the same of Forces, this better not be Generations 2, jesus no. 

37 minutes ago, Scar said:

I mean imagine knowing that there is going to be a silly character creator or a random new character when you're in constant communication with fans that express a desire for existing characters to return, and then knowing there ain't shit you can do about it.

I thought Webber only cared about memes though. He ceirtainly never makes any posts about the other characters unless for a meme or a joke. Now I can take jokes, but you're giving Webber too much credit. I don't think he really cares that much about the other characters either. Maybe Knuckles and Tails though. I never see him post anything about characters that are not Sonic, Eggman, Knuckles and sometimes Tails and Big (for memes only tho).

11 minutes ago, RictalRose0 said:

I thought Webber only cared about memes though. He ceirtainly never makes any posts about the other characters unless for a meme or a joke. Now I can take jokes, but you're giving Webber too much credit. I don't think he really cares that much about the other characters either. Maybe Knuckles and Tails though. I never see him post anything about characters that are not Sonic, Eggman, Knuckles and sometimes Tails and Big (for memes only tho).

You sort of missed the point I was making.

Him not making any posts about characters doesn't mean he is totally unaware of the fans (with whom he must interact on a daily basis given that its his job to do so). I dunno about you, but I'd hate to be privy to some information I know will be disappointing to a group of fans you deal with regularly, but being unable to say or do anything while maintaining a facade of excitement.

But like I said, maybe there's more to the game we've seen so far, but right now Sonic Team aren't doing themselves any fucking favours.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah I get that. I'm just saying Webber is not any better that Sonic Team really. As far as I know he's just the mememan.