Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

9 minutes ago, Jango said:

You know that this can actually happen since the company that owns Bubsy at the moment have worked with SEGA before on some mobile games :V So hold on your chairs.

Personally, I like Aaron's suggestion better: the new character is actually Big the Cat thin. Now we know what he's being doing all these years, cross-fit!

YES

smexy_big_wtf__by_lunayoshi-d1p33j6.png

http://mikumikudance.wikia.com/wiki/Big_The_Cat_Thin_(Pikadude)?file=Big_the_Cat_thin_by_Pikadude.png

Big has quite enough Rule 34 my dude.

I don't think Sega would want to make it worse...

(Oh who am I kidding)

• Thumbs Up 2

I just realized that my reactions to Forces are the same as these totem poles >-< D= EVEN THEY CAN'T STAND GREEN HILL ZONE ANYMORE.

Yu7IZfE.jpg

thisismylastjokeonthisforum

Also, that tree has realistic texture, while all the rest is blocky cartonish. What :V

Edited by Jango

11 minutes ago, Kintor said:

No offense but the fact that you aren't aware of the character creator in recent Dragon Ball games says more about your limited sources of information then it does the popularity of Dragon Ball Z. Besides, I've already your question, Sonic Forces as a platformer is a lot more accessible then a MMORPG. It's an easier value proposition for someone to buy Sonic Forces on impulse, since then can devote a couple of hours to Sonic Forces whenever they want whereas a MMORPG is often the equivalent of a part-time job.

I figured you'd say that, but if the character creator was that big a deal I would've heard about it through word of mouth surely?  I follow several let's players and gaming media sites and never heard about it.  If I had... it wouldn't increase my interest in the game whatsoever because I don't like DBZ.

So I don't see why Sonic doing it would be any different for those not already interested in Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 5

Look, I like the CaC idea but I really don't see how popularity regarding Youtubers and Let's Players really matters.

Honestly, who really cares about phenomenions, Minecraft, gaming sites and all that?

Creating your character should just be a means of having fun, if the whole game as itself is good and sells well than that's great.

• Thumbs Up 2

Excuse me if this has already been posted, but SEGA has a new site for Sonic Forces at http://sonic.sega.jp/SonicForces/. It contains a logo with some Japanese text. It reads:

"WINTER 2017 scheduled release

Month 4 Day 14 [April 14th] Movie [Trailer] Release!"

We are getting a new trailer tomorrow.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, JezMM said:

I figured you'd say that, but if the character creator was that big a deal I would've heard about it through word of mouth surely?  I follow several let's players and gaming media sites and never heard about it.  If I had... it wouldn't increase my interest in the game whatsoever because I don't like DBZ.

So I don't see why Sonic doing it would be any different for those not already interested in Sonic.

Since you don't like Dragon Ball you probably just filtered it out. Nothing wrong with that but the character creator was still a big deal; it formed a central aspect of Bandai Namco’s promotion of the games in the lead-up to launch.

As for what a character creator would bring to Sonic Forces I think that it can be instrumental in bringing a bigger audience to the franchise. There are always gamers sitting on the fence with money to burn, the chance to create their own Sonic character is exactly the sort of thing that can get them to buy Sonic Forces on a whim. Once those newcomers have Sonic Forces they might just stick around in the future for more Sonic games or even buy a few older Sonic games while they wait.

23 minutes ago, Jango said:

You know that this can actually happen since the company that owns Bubsy at the moment have worked with SEGA before on some mobile games :V So hold on your chairs.

Personally, I like Aaron's suggestion better: the new character is actually Big the Cat thin. Now we know what he's being doing all these years, cross-fit!

YES

smexy_big_wtf__by_lunayoshi-d1p33j6.png

http://mikumikudance.wikia.com/wiki/Big_The_Cat_Thin_(Pikadude)?file=Big_the_Cat_thin_by_Pikadude.png

hey if big the cat can do it who's to say i won't be able to lose weight? ;)

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Prisima said:

Excuse me if this has already been posted, but SEGA has a new site for Sonic Forces at http://sonic.sega.jp/SonicForces/. It contains a logo with some Japanese text. It reads:

Ayy, preparing for another storm again. I'll be in my bunker.

3 minutes ago, Prisima said:

Oh boy, can't wait to see this trailer. Hopefully, it has something good.

1 minute ago, Nepenthe said:

What untapped demographic is sitting on the fence of platformers because they don't have character creators?

It's not a demographic, it's impulse buyers. That vast group of gamers looking for something new and different to play on a whim. Sonic Forces with a character creator can provide that sense of novelty for some of these gamers. Plus, once they actually have Sonic Forces a few of them might stay on for the next game and become hardcore Sonic fans.

13 minutes ago, JezMM said:

I mean, Team Four Star literally sold T-shirts with their Dragon Ball OC on it. An OC they made during their Let's Play of Dragon Ball Xenoverse, the first part of which has over a million views. I think they even had a plushy at one point.

• Thumbs Up 3

About CaC.

It could be fun.

Videogames should be fun.

This option won't ruin Sonic's rep even more... if done right.

Who cares about what people will create? Let me and others have fun with a game dammit

• Thumbs Up 6

3 minutes ago, Kintor said:

It's not a demographic, it's impulse buyers. That vast group of gamers looking for something new and different to play on a whim. Sonic Forces with a character creator can provide that sense of novelty for some of these gamers. Plus, once they actually have Sonic Forces a few of them might stay on for the next game and become hardcore Sonic fans.

Sonic doesn't suddenly become new and different with a character creator though.

But I mean, if we're at the point where we're seriously trying to grab such a tenuous and flighty market, why not turn the series into something like IDARB. That's new and different. Doesn't have much to do with Sonic, but hey, it'll get those "impulse buyers" on board.

Man, I miss the days when it was enough to say "here's a good and interesting platformer with a cool character" to sell games and Sonic could stand on its own design principles.

• Thumbs Up 8

2 minutes ago, Kintor said:

2 minutes ago, Kellan said:

I mean Team Four Star literally sold T-shirts with their Dragon Ball OC on it. An OC they made during their Let's Play of Dragon Ball Xenoverse, the first part of which has over a million views. I think they even had a plushy at one point.

These are both cool but neither sound like the "phenomenon" situation that kickstarted this line of discussion.

1 minute ago, Nepenthe said:

Man, I miss the days when it was enough to say "here's a good and interesting platformer with a cool character" to sell games and Sonic could stand on its own design principles.

You mean like how Sonic & Knuckles was promoted because of its unique lock-on cartridge design? Or how Sonic Adventure had a V-Pet in the form of the Chao Garden? A (still hypothetical) character creation system works on the same principle, a little something extra to get attention that compliments the gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 1

Agreed, a character creator won't save Sonic's reputation. It'll be fun sure, but that won't be enough or even matter.

Features don't make a game.

Hell if anything, we should be more focused on the third gameplay and hope it'll leave an impact and improve future gameplay in the series.

The only thing that's important is a good game.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

Do you honestly think that S&K wouldn't sell on the basis of its tried and true gameplay, or the much bigger point in SA1's favor that it was mainly hyped because it was the polygonal rebirth of a beloved franchise that skipped a console gen and was looking dead? Seriously, who bought SA1 on Dreamcast for the Chao Garden? I'd like to know who those five people are so I can point them to Petz for free.

Are we seriously at the point where we're defending random gimmicks on the basis of Sega having advertised them before? If that's the case, I guess I can have my Werehog back. Surely the God of War fanbase is necessary to chase.

I'm not here to talk about what would or wouldn't sell in the past; I'm reminding you of what actually happened. The cartridge design of Sonic & Knuckles was a major selling point, the argument being that you weren't just buying a single game but also getting new ways to player other games already in your collection. The same is true of Sonic Adventure, V-Pets were huge in the 90s, everybody wanted a V-Pet and when they finally got a V-Pet they wanted even more; the Chao were created to tap into that huge demand. A character creator in Sonic Forces can do the same thing again, gamers tastes are changing, people are realising that character creation doesn't have to be restricted to RPGs anymore.

You're not putting forth an argument that financially demonstrates the viability of character creators either through economic precedence or any actual case studies where a game took off specifically as a result of it; you're ultimately just "well, it's something that people like." Well, yes. People like character creators. People like lots of things. But there's lots of things that either shouldn't be in Sonic or aren't gonna have any discernible outcome on the game's reception in the first place, and thus their popularity with some amorphous group isn't an argument in favor of its implementation.

I mean, people like first person military shooters, far more so than non-Mario platformers. Should we then turn Sonic into a first person military shooter?

• Thumbs Up 3

How about we move on from character creators for a bit? We don't know if there will even be one at all, so until it becomes confirmed (if it ever will be confirmed that is), let's hold off on the discussion for now. Because it's getting us nowhere.

2 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

You're not putting forth an argument that financially demonstrates the viability of character creators either through economic precedence or any actual case studies where a game took off specifically as a result of it; you're ultimately just "well, it's something that people like." Well, yes. People like character creators. People like lots of things. But there's lots of things that either shouldn't be in Sonic or aren't gonna have any discernible outcome on the game's reception in the first place, and thus their popularity with some amorphous group isn't an argument in favor of its implementation.

This a video game message board, I'm not going to give you case studies or a PowerPoint presentation, it's absurd to even expect that level of detail for this kind of discussion. So yes, I think that the character creator is a fun idea and I believe that many other gamers will find the same thing if given the opportunity to do so in Sonic Forces. I mean, the inclusion of a character creator certainly wouldn't hurt Sonic Forces chances at retail and might actually garner some new support for the community along the way.