Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

1 hour ago, Kellan said:

I gotta say, in terms of gimmicks, a character creator would definitely be one of the tamest ones this franchise has had. I don't get the panic, it's not like it's the werehog again (No offense to the werehog fans here).

I would imagine there are two groups of people. 

You have one group of people like " why the hell can't I use the characters that already exist" and you have another like " I feel like this reinforces a bunch of memes about the franchise/ is loosing brand identity "

I'm in another group called " why do I have the sneaking suspicion that this game might be ass" 

4 hours ago, Jango said:

I just realized that my reactions to Forces are the same as these totem poles >-< D= EVEN THEY CAN'T STAND GREEN HILL ZONE ANYMORE.

Yu7IZfE.jpg

thisismylastjokeonthisforum

Also, that tree has realistic texture, while all the rest is blocky cartonish. What :V

That's a good point actually. And it's not only the trees, there's a collection of various different art styles and attributes as well. For instance, the GHZ floor in the front looks realistic, with tufts of grass growing on it etc, but the background has a way more flat and simplistic look, as well as that weird bush that almost looks like it was ripped out of a 2D game but obviously given a higher texture. There's also sand where the water usually is and you can clearly see Sandopolis' pyramids in the background. Compare:

Not only this, but the level design is just plain confusing. The slope in the background isn't attached to anything, the slope in the foreground is just floating etc

In the next screenshot, the level looks even more scrambled. We have the classic falling bridge but the water is sand, there are random GHZ chunks of land in the sandfall, and there's even a random abstract piece of land just jutting out, not at all like the neat, regular, polygonal formations around it. 

Finally, in the modern sonic stage you can see a similar thing. Where there should be water there is just a giant sand-pit/quarry, there are cartoonish trees a la lost world and trees with other geometries as well. Plus there's the fact that there's a city right next to rolling grassy plains and grassy hills and bridges to GHZ islands in a giant sea. Granted maybe this is just a purely stylistic choice but the fact that the main theme is comprised of so many different melodies and dynamics/instrument choices that can be heard in other sonic games makes me think that there is something very strange going on.

sk-sz-appearanceimg1.png

download.png

• Thumbs Up 6

2 hours ago, Diogenes said:

I wouldn't mind it if it wasn't so abusable. The problem wasn't just its speed, it was how it could be used at almost any time. If it worked like a roll button while you were moving and only started up a spindash if you were already standing still when you pressed it, that'd be fine.

Hm...I feel that would completely go against the point of giving it a separate button.

Then again, I'm different from most. I never liked the Spin Dash in the Classic games as a kid because you had to stop to use it rolling just wasn't enough sometimes. I wanted to just do it anytime to keep going and the fact that I couldn't always contributed to me finding the Classic games boring when I was younger. As such, I really liked Speed Boosters since I could just touch them and go fast immediately. I pretty much never even bothered using the Spin Dash unless I absolutely had to as a result. Or if I was just messing around in a level.

(Though, as a side note, I also just plain didn't care much for the Classic games at all as a kid and despite playing them all, didn't become a Sonic fan until Sonic Adventure came it. I went back to play them again when I was older and even then, 3 & Knuckles is the only one I absolutely enjoy. I hate 1, I despise CD and while 2 is a good and fun game, I tend to feel like there's no reason to play it when I could play 3&K instead. Even with all of that, I like Advance 2 and Rush more than 3&K.)

The Spin Dash button in Generations pretty much fixed that "problem" for me and I really liked it as a result. My problem was that while it was useful, it shot too far and too fast sometimes and could sometimes end up breaking the level. I can't count the amount of times I phased through stuff with that thing.

Instead of outright changing how it works, I'd say there should just be a cooldown period on the button so you can't spam it like it's SA1's Spin Dash. But that's just my idea on it. Most will probably agree with yours.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't remove the button input. The problem with the Generations spindash (which was really not much of a problem at all) wasn't that it could be done too rapidly or was too powerful. The issue came from it allowing you to charge it anywhere, even where it wouldn't make sense. Instead, just have pressing it on, say, a slope or while moving too fast make Sonic curl up and roll, rather than immediately stop and charge up. That's all you have to do.

Or you could just not do that, since being able to blaze your own path through a level really fast is part of the fun of Sonic, and the main reason SA1's Sonic stages are so much more dynamic and versatile than SA2's (aside from being broader in terms of pathways).

• Thumbs Up 1

Breaking a level here and there is the least bit of my concern. Sonic games have been all about that kind of freedom since they first invented the Spindash in S2. Its almost a necessary evil at this point. Spindashing over and around certain obstacles is no different to me than flying Tails up to the top of an open air area and seeing how much stage I can cheat over. It is what it is. Later levels that introduce more complicated platforming tend to punish spammers anyway, so its not like its some huge problem after the first few levels. The only ones who can truly exploit it in the end are the ones who practice that behavior and learn the courses (like dedicated speed runners).

The hot button Spindash from Gen's is something I'd welcome back with open arms. I could understand the need to nerf its launch speed a little bit, but it does help maintain the pace for players who want to push the limits and it does also help mesh the tempo with its modern counterpart. Plus it is somewhat heartening to see the Spindash back as a primary tool, after being largely ignored by the boost formula games.

• Thumbs Up 1

Heh, you can tell this was just meant to be something Sonic runs by really fast, they look like they're dancing in slow motion when you let it play long enough.

Who the hell is shooting at them?

10 minutes ago, Shaddy the guy said:

Heh, you can tell this was just meant to be something Sonic runs by really fast, they look like they're dancing in slow motion when you let it play long enough.

Who the hell is shooting at them?

G.U.N.?

• Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, Waveshocker Sigma said:

Hm...I feel that would completely go against the point of giving it a separate button.

Then again, I'm different from most. I never liked the Spin Dash in the Classic games as a kid because you had to stop to use it rolling just wasn't enough sometimes. I wanted to just do it anytime to keep going and the fact that I couldn't always contributed to me finding the Classic games boring when I was younger. As such, I really liked Speed Boosters since I could just touch them and go fast immediately. I pretty much never even bothered using the Spin Dash unless I absolutely had to as a result. Or if I was just messing around in a level.

Instead of outright changing how it works, I'd say there should just be a cooldown period on the button so you can't spam it like it's SA1's Spin Dash. But that's just my idea on it. Most will probably agree with yours.

Compromise Achieved: Spin Dash button makes you roll if you're at average ground speed or faster...

There's not much of a point in that cool down idea, you can't really press the button again to stop rolling like in Adventure games (which is the only reason it was spammable), so it does nothing.

And nothing is really learned from it. Cool. Well it looks pretty I'll give it that, but visuals are one of the last thing sega should try to sell us on 

Usually the visuals are the first thing that excite the peoples....oh well, not this time it seems.

1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

Usually the visuals are the first thing that excite the peoples....oh well, not this time it seems.

After that classic gameplay...yeahnolol 

moderns sections look good enough though 

I think people are more concerned about what other bombshells are to be dropped and want reassurance the game developers know what they're doing then more "hey member boosting?"
It's hard to be impressed by boosting visuals, since you'll barely see it in the hectic energy of the game and it's something we've seen nonstop since unleashed anyway.

At this point, I think everyone just wants to get a very close look at the level design first before we're in any mood to be impressed by anything.
Just waiting for either "Press boost to win" linairity some folks fear, and/or "Purple-red-green Wisp turns Sonic into a spoon, now feed soup to the giant donut to progress to the next puzzle" nonsense I'm worried about.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm not actually gonna give them any flack for this, it's a background stage element after all, but I just found it funny to watch in that background video:

ghjgj.png

The 'GUN' firing squad aren't actually aiming for that Death Egg Mech, they've declared war on levels in the sky above bottomless pits and that robot just so happens to walk into the line of fire now and then.

On a side note I'd love if they made this available as a dynamic theme on the PS4!

• Thumbs Up 8

12 minutes ago, Joy said:

I'm not actually gonna give them any flack for this, it's a background stage element after all, but I just found it funny to watch in that background video:

ghjgj.png

The 'GUN' firing squad aren't actually aiming for that Death Egg Mech, they've declared war on levels in the sky above bottomless pits and that robot just so happens to walk into the line of fire now and then.

On a side note I'd love if they made this available as a dynamic theme on the PS4!

Well these are the same soldiers who thought "We're being attacked by aliens! Let's fire at the same wall over and over!"

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Woun said:

New screenshot:

C9W2AyqVYAUF30A.jpg

heh, hey if I only had this one image to go off of in Forces id still be very interested, looks pretty cool!

But we have more than that, so that pic alone doesn't mean much anything...and it looks like the same image from a few days ago. Except it's the full image.

51 minutes ago, Joy said:

ghjgj.png

Ah, GUN soldiers.

The Sonic world equivalent of Stormtroopers.

• Thumbs Up 3

Oh, so no trailer released today? Rip. 

I am somewhat intrigued by the fact that SEGA stated that the new character would be "someone unexpected". What's particularly interesting is the fact that it is unexpected even though it's a brand new character, so how could anyone expect it?

To take a step back a page or two, isn't the point of a character creator that your character is the main character?  Whereas in Sonic Forces, "Buddy" is going to be at best sharing time with two other Sonics for the protagonist role; at worst, he's just a third wheel to Modern Sonic, considering that Classic doesn't talk and Buddy is... well, I don't know.  Here's the thing: How would they write Buddy?  Would he be silent, like a lot of classic self-insert main characters (Link, a huge number of RPG protagonists)?  Generically heroic?  Mysterious adventurer from another world?  Sonic's biggest fan who isn't called Amy?  Even if you actually got to choose a personality (requiring them to make multiple versions of every cutscene), In the context of a Sonic game with Modern Sonic as the star, I can't see any of these being anything but either irrelevant or cringeworthy.

There's also instant limited empathy value because you are not in any way creating something that looks anything like yourself.  You'd be creating an anthro protagonist; an animal.  Well, that's a lot better than it being a human in a Sonic game, but for anyone other than small children and furries (no disrespect intended here, but is either going to be the majority audience?), there is instant distance; you're not creating "you," you're creating some random animal person.  So the emotional connection or even the humour value of putting "yourself" in the game just isn't there.  The use of an anthro also limits any flexibility you might have to create other fictional characters from other media, which again cuts down on both humour and goodwill.  Instead, the humour pool for YouTubers and streamers is instead limited to that infamous low-hanging fruit, "bad Sonic OCs."  Which of course is more or less what's being invited anyway.

Character creators are not an innate selling point.  They can just as easily be used to mock and devalue a game.  This depends both on the quality of the character creator and the quality of the game overall; if the game is poor, or neutral but published in poor circumstances, a character creator has as much likelihood of losing the game sales as it does to gain them.  Streamers and YouTubers will turn the game into a laughing stock - and very few people will spend, what, thirty, forty dollars on a joke purchase inspired by a derogatory stream.

• Thumbs Up 9

4 minutes ago, FFWF said:

but for anyone other than small children and furries (no disrespect intended here, but is either going to be the majority audience?), there is instant distance; you're not creating "you," you're creating some random animal person.  So the emotional connection or even the humour value of putting "yourself" in the game just isn't there.

I basically never try to create "Myself" on a character creator... then again I'm not into self insert games or media, and can't really form connection to characters that are mostly suppose to be me. As a artist however I enjoy creating characters so I just create something that suits my taste when using a character creator. I also fall into neither category you listed there. I'm more a fantasy fanatic.

• Thumbs Up 2

Apparently not everyone can picture themselves as a random anthro-animal person...even potentially.

The loss of that experience is negative...