Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

Honestly the obnoxious was they're drip feeding us when this game was announced almost a year ago is really annoying and shows unconfidence. Mania had enough brevity to show plenty of gameplay in its damn reveal trailer (with full stage gameplay immediately afterward) while the geniuses at Sonic Team can't even show us more then 30 seconds of gameplay after 8 months. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Soniman said:

Honestly the obnoxious was they're drip feeding us when this game was announced almost a year ago is really annoying and shows unconfidence. Mania had enough brevity to show plenty of gameplay in its damn reveal trailer (with full stage gameplay immediately afterward) while the geniuses at Sonic Team can't even show us more then 30 seconds of gameplay after 8 months. 

I honestly did not mind the wait. They let us see that the game was coming, but both Forces and Mania are major Sonic games regardless of how different they may be. It makes sense to squarely focus on just one game at a time so that there's no confusion or oversaturation. I personally felt that teasing the game when and in the way that they did actually showed a lot of confidence. It was different for the franchise, which normally relies on a very formulaic yearly "Spring announcement > E3/Autumn showcase > holiday release" schedule. The early reveal along side a second title was  somewhat bold and actually quite clever I think because it was telling us that Sonic was going to have a powerful presence in 2017 with some lot to look forward to. 

I maintain that the actual problem was choosing to relatively unceremoniously unveil Forces in a relatively low-key way, with little more detail than we could glean from the months-old teaser. They probably are just waiting for a big E3 reveal at this stage, as Nepenthe is guessing. If that is the case though, they really shouldn't have shown off what they have. Name reveal, new character teaser, date of full unveiling. That's what SEGA should have given us.  

• Thumbs Up 5

6 hours ago, MudHunter said:

Not only that, but the whole "Join the Resistance" thing, Takashi Iizuka saying that the 3rd guy's reveal will be "unexpected" and that he "embodies the overall feature of the game" and also the character being kinda "bland" (subjectif, but still) kinda fits with a created character feature.

But yeah this is just speculation at this moment, it's better to just wait for E3.

I really hope it's not this, because saying it's an "unexpected" character and revealing it's a character creater or a new one is somewhat... cheating I guess? 

It's unexpected because it's new, literally cannot expect someone that you don't know or doesn't exists. Saying unexpected would be better for a character that already exists in the canon.

If it is new or a CC, I'm calling out that quote as horseshit. 

I do wonder if the delay of Mania has impacted how SEGA are approaching the marketing of this game. With Mania out of the way they could've focused more on Forces.

• Thumbs Up 2

So, if the focus of the stages of this game turns out to really be fusing level tropes (as we have seen city+green and green+sand), which tropes would you like seeing fused?
Keep in mind that I'm not talking about straight up fusing old levels, just tropes (so for example a sand level with an ice one, not sandopolis and icecap).

I'd really love to see an ice and industrial mix, with electricity thrown into the mix.
Or jungle and ice. Or floating and ice.
I really like ice levels so I'd like to see this trope fused with virtually anything lol.

So what about you guys?

• Thumbs Up 5

I'd like to see another one of those "spooky" levels. You know, the ones that look like Halloween? Maybe it could be mashed with a lava level, I think those would go well enough together. Give it a real underworld vibe.

I'm not sure if this theme would fit in with the rest of Forces, but I'm still not sure what kind of tone Forces will have at this point, so it might.

• Thumbs Up 9

The tone of the game shouldn't limit what type of level tropes should be in the game...

Plus Spook and Lava would go perfect together, those spooks would need to be demon centric, not just general halloween type stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

The tone of the game shouldn't limit what type of level tropes should be in the game...

Plus Spook and Lava would go perfect together, those spooks would need to be demon centric, not just general halloween type stuff.

Given the lore I'd think that even outside of industrial themes other tropes would be heavily corrupted by them.

10 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

File this under "obviously gonna be fixed but amusing anyway"...

C9Z489rW0AAw8cM.jpg

...that there is some serious clipping. Whew. 

Come on, seriously? That's clearly just sat amongst the grass, you can see where the actual floor is and there's blades of grass on top. 

• Thumbs Up 3

13 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

File this under "obviously gonna be fixed but amusing anyway"...

C9Z489rW0AAw8cM.jpg

...that there is some serious clipping. Whew. 

haha, reminds me of when City Escape was revealed for Generations and Sonic's shoes were clipping through the ground (which was fixed in time for release):DsPOXgr.jpg

Or good old roof-tree from the very same trailer.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Gatestormer said:

Come on, seriously? That's clearly just sat amongst the grass, you can see where the actual floor is and there's blades of grass on top. 

He's on about the ring monitors being so close together that they're clipping through each other.

• Thumbs Up 6

2 minutes ago, Rexeljet said:

He's on about the ring monitors being so close together that they're clipping through each other.

Eh, they look fine to me. 

14 minutes ago, Eclipse said:

Aren't these the same model?
mu1Kb8p.jpg

If anything paints Forces Green Hill as being intentionally minimalistic it'd be this.  If they were re-using the same model as an unfinished placeholder prop it wouldn't have this new bright and colourful paintjob.

It's almost as if they've actually taken inspiration from Mania and tried to make it more colourful and less trying to be a "realistic version" of Green Hill, but they kind of missed the mark due to that very strange choice of lighting direction casting most of the landscape in washed-out shadow.

• Thumbs Up 6

4 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

Can't help but think that the 3rd character looks a bit similar to Antoine, at least his new design.

oKV3TNT.jpg

Not to mention that the Freedom Fighters would fit the plot of this game so well.

If they were going to choose any of the freedom fighters why would they choose this dingus?

6 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

It...kind of should, actually? I mean it might not apply in all cases, but you don't want your levels and your story contradicting each other.

Like, people rage hard enough about Dessert Ruins as it is, a level like that wouldn't work at all in something like SA2.

Well, I would say the level tropes can still follow the atmosphere that the game is setting...but the Green Hill Zone retread doesn't appear to be doing that.

It's not even on fire.

Dessert Ruins doesn't even really do itself right, as long as there's an explanation (even within level details) it doesn't matter too much. But Dessert Ruins background looks like it takes place in a candy void, so it can't be explained.