Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

I'm late on this, and I'm not one to hold grudges, but Shun Nakamura being involved is very concerning to me. The main guy in charge of the game that nearly killed this franchise, yikes. 

1 hour ago, Chris Knopps said:

...Isn't that a little too old to even be funny anymore...?

Nice try I guess but... Seriously... Kind of a groaner there...

As someone who listens to hip hop from this century, this whole line of discussion was cringe. 

Slim shady? Really? Can we make stuff like this bannable somehow? 

• Thumbs Up 6

Forces was in development two years prior to Mania, how could they align themselves with a product that didn't exist yet?

6 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Forces was in development two years prior to Mania, how could they align themselves with a product that didn't exist yet?

A massive coincidence of course.

But forces isn't slow enough to make good use of the abilities that Knuckles and Tails bring to the table for dinner. Unless they were both stuck to 2D like Classic Sonic, but then they all be in the game at that point.

13 hours ago, Bowbowis said:

Alright, I'm calling it now. Forces was initially supposed to be about just Modern Sonic and New the Character but then someone higher up mandated that Classic Sonic and Green Hill be in the game.

I mean, it would explain a lot. The reason for the imbalance of two Sonics + friend is because it was originally intended to just be one Sonic + friend. The reason Green Hill Mk. 10,000,000,000,000 still looks like an alpha build, despite Crisis City Mk. 3 looking nearly complete, is because it was a much later addition. The reason the Classic stuff is appearing at all in a game which otherwise looks to be attempting a Adventure era revival is because it was literally tacked on at the last minute.

It just makes sense.

I wonder what "imbalance of two Sonics + friend" are you talking about. So far we've seen like 1 minute of Modern and 4 seconds of Classic Sonic.

Green Hill is not in alpha state, all these "funny" shiny quadratic cliffs and peaks with slight bevels on edges are signature features of SLW design. (though even SLW didn't look that poor)

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Jango said:

I love this thread. I think I've never seen a Sonic game get this much disapproval. I think even Sonic 4 had more positive response xD

To be fair towards S4 though, at least it was sorta focused on one main thing (that is, making a new classic Sonic game), even if the result was, y'know, absolute utter shite.

Forces, on the other hand, seems to be throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks and from the outside it sorta looks like Sonic Team is having a really weird mid-life crisis.

Yeah, just noticed that too. The vagueness continues I suppose.

(How do you put that full tweet in anyway, didn't find it here)

Going on that Tails given up rumour... What if Tails was somehow responsible for Sonic being out of the fight? Even possibly thinking he'd been killed?
If they play the story right, and the tone, that entire sequence could work very well. It could be a touching moment, possibly the best Sonic and Tails moment of the series.

I don't expect that rumour to be true though, if Tails is already talking in the first level. Unless that first level shows how Tails messes up.

1 minute ago, The J said:

Yeah, just noticed that too. The vagueness continues I suppose.

(How do you put that full tweet in anyway, didn't find it here)

Oh I just paste the tweet link and then it automatically shows it 

lol it's literally Not!Green Hill. 

So it's not Green Hill in the same way this isn't Generations 2 I guess 

• Thumbs Up 2

It being "not" Green Hill zone is always the thing that makes the lack of a significant variation of the aesthetic much less appealing when it's re-used.

It's got sand now, doesn't even take place during night time.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Hero said:

Anyway, I wanted to talk about Tails. If the rumour is true, then Tails has given up preemptively because Sonic disappeared. That's understandable at first but he's already been through not having Sonic around in Adventure 1 and 2. In 2 Tails literally thought he died, but he still fought Eggman. Why would he give up? Sure, Sonic's canon is kind of iffy at best, but this kind of thing blatantly ignores past events. 

Probably can't put this in the best words, but maybe it's kinda like Tails expected Sonic to at least show up to respond to Eggman taking over? Fighting and almost dying in SA2 is one thing, but he still was doing his best. Maybe in Forces, if Sonic really isn't there at all until the world is fucked, he assumes Sonic didn't even try and just gave up or didn't even bother to show up and it demoralizes him. Like the dude who you idolize, fight along side no matter the odds, and is your best friend doesn't even show up and you possibly think he gave up is probably a big blow to one's morale.

With how Tails was written in Lost World, I wouldn't be surprised to see him do something against his established character, though.  Hell, I expect him to bitch and yell at Sonic whenever he shows back up again for leaving them and letting this happen.

• Thumbs Up 1

While I expected the sarcastic responses from the majority, personally that tweet makes my optimism continue stronger that they're doing something unexpected and there's more to Green Hill's re-use than meets the eye.

Sarcastic? Here? Don't be silly, Jez my boy.

Seriously now, perhaps what Nakamura-san meant was a Sonic Mania kind of situation that got lost in translation? It's not the good old Green Hill, but a re-imagined version of it. Worlds clashing together in Forces is what most people here have been theorizing. To me tho', it looks like Green Hill clashed with Lost Hex ?

• Thumbs Up 2

From the admittedly brief look we've gotten so far, it's just Green Hill with sandfalls instead of waterfalls. Personally, I think it's kind of telling that I didn't even notice this when first watching the footage and had to have it pointed out to me on here. I was too busy being disappointed by the all too familiar chequered hill sides to pay attention to a bit of sand. 

I'm not going to speculate about how it could be potentially more interesting than what we've seen already, but at any rate hopefully it's just a bad first impression. Heck, with enough luck, Forces is going to be a really good game that just left us all with bad first impressions that will be changed later on. 

• Thumbs Up 9

28 minutes ago, Zeer said:

Probably can't put this in the best words, but maybe it's kinda like Tails expected Sonic to at least show up to respond to Eggman taking over? Fighting and almost dying in SA2 is one thing, but he still was doing his best. Maybe in Forces, if Sonic really isn't there at all until the world is fucked, he assumes Sonic didn't even try and just gave up or didn't even bother to show up and it demoralizes him. Like the dude who you idolize, fight along side no matter the odds, and is your best friend doesn't even show up and you possibly think he gave up is probably a big blow to one's morale.

With how Tails was written in Lost World, I wouldn't be surprised to see him do something against his established character, though.  Hell, I expect him to bitch and yell at Sonic whenever he shows back up again for leaving them and letting this happen.

But tails could have gotten someone else. This doesn't really make sense, because other people , can and have stopped eggman. 

Unless this game, is actually the final supreme fuck you to all other characters.  Or the plot is, the new character is tasked to actually save sonic and other characters other characters from being displaced in time, to then stop eggman, which would explain the whole, sonic wasn't there thing. 

• Thumbs Up 1