Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

21 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

I'm not going to speculate about how it could be potentially more interesting than what we've seen already, but at any rate hopefully it's just a bad first impression. Heck, with enough luck, Forces is going to be a really good game that just left us all with bad first impressions that will be changed later on. 

It may be like Mario 3D World with it's first showing leaving people pretty dissapointed since it wasn't the "grand" Mario title people wanted and it looked like 3D Land with 4 characters, but alot of people warmed up to it when the second trailer came around and showed the more interesting aspects of the gameplay, despite it not being the type of Mario they wanted.

But then again this is Sonic Team not Nintendo so I don't know if we can expect the same outcome from them.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think I'd be more annoyed if this isn't Green Hill. Even Splash Hill has a more unique identity.

• Thumbs Up 3

5 minutes ago, Marcello said:

I think I'd be more annoyed if this isn't Green Hill. Even Splash Hill has a more unique identity.

Really? Green Hill with waterfalls isn't that much better than Green Hill with Sand-ness...

Just now, StaticMania said:

Really? Green Hill with waterfalls isn't that much better than Green Hill with Sand-ness...

The checkers are a bit different in style, the grass looks like candy, the background is full of bushes, the palm trees are a little different and the flowers are all different.

Don't get me wrong, It's still a shameless clone, but at least it's not literally Green Hill with some sand.

• Thumbs Up 4

Here's a thought:

If everybody bemoans the presence of Green Hill Zone appearing outside of games such as Mania or Generations, why do Sonic Team insist on forcing carbon copies of it in every game? If Sonic Team really "listened to the fans" like some people claim they do, you'd think this would be one of the things they'd listen about. But no, it's back but this time looking worse (what with the sand) and looking WORSE (Are the extra switch nickels really worth the graphical downgrade?)

6 hours ago, Sean said:

He's just the producer.

Ehhhh....you be surprised on how involved producers (and investors) sink their teeth into things. It's pretty rampant in gaming (and entertainment mediums in general).

Shun Nakamura being involved in ANYWAY is largely concerning...nothing in the the past 15 years that he has been apart of in any shape or from has been well received.

Not trying to bring doom and gloom into shit, but its still a rather bad sign. 

30 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Asking things of Sonic Team is like wishing on a monkey's paw; it always turns out twisted and wrong. The push for games more in line with the classics has ended up with Sonic Team just making surface-level imitations of the classic style, not trying to understand what made those games beloved in the first place.

Knowing more about gaming internally when it comes to development as well as the marketing angle of it, has me baffled at SEGA's decision making for their core brand. It literally doesn't make sense even for a business perspective.

To be fair, Japanese business philosophy differs greatly from the west in a lot of ways. In gaming, they have always had rather questionable brand loyalty in the first place, making (at least from a western perspective) silly decisions and choices.

They are also more notorious in not listening much to their fan-bases too, almost berating them for complaining at times (which is starting to become a increasingly growing trend in the west too, but for other equally annoying reasons).

SEGA, however, in the past has set up fucking ICE SKATING events for launch days and seem to reach out to their fans more than the usual amount for an predominately eastern company. Yet they don't listen ever to core complaints. I remember a long time ago where SEGA set up a meeting to have fans come in to give opinions on how to improve the series...I remember a lot of key people going to that event...and NOTHING came from that situation.

They go the extra mile to reach out, but then don't listen or like you said, listen but not listen at the same time...its really fucking weird.

• Thumbs Up 2

Roger made a great video about Green Hill Zone. The Tweet says it's not Green Hill Zone...in name only, so my thoughts remain the same.

So... Is someone describing Not Green Hill? Classic Tails?

... "4/21" ... "Music"... "Update"... Sonic Forces official site.... New music reveal?

• Thumbs Up 6

Maybe a character simply thinks it's not Green Hill because of the changes we've seen?

I don't think simply saying it's not Green Hill Zone during the reveal would be enough...

If that statement isn't paired with showing parts of the stage that may potentially look interesting and different, it just ends up being pointless.

• Thumbs Up 1

We'll have to wait and see what happens I guess. Either way Forces Hill Zone still looks like Green Hill Zone, so its actual name is meaningless. That whole aesthetic is starting to get super fucking stale at this point.

The only way I could tolerate it, is if the stage changes up significantly as you go through it, or if they fucking blow it the fuck up.

• Thumbs Up 5

27 minutes ago, Scar said:

The only way I could tolerate it, is if the stage changes up significantly as you go through it, or if they fucking blow it the fuck up.

My thinking exactly.

The modern stage starts with giant Egg-Robo's destroying stuff so maybe the same thing happens to classic Sonic's Green Hill zone. Eggman bombs it out of existence, then classic Sonic joins up with Modern Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

What if the classic intro level is a mishmash of multiple level tropes smashed together to get the "fused worlds" point across?

10 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

[...] ...Wait...

...Does the third character also mean no Super Sonic final boss...?

The sidekick could get a glowy shield and no cooldown on their attacks like in Heroes.

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Voyant said:

If there willing (and allowed) to come out and correct people on what the fucking stage is "kinda" about....

They should have just told people what the fuck was happening the in the first place...

Why show off the stuff that makes it look BORING.

Who in the hell makes these gameplay cuts?

In the grand scheme of things a Nintendo Direct is fairly low priority. Not worth putting together a full trailer when the audience is mainly limited to Nintendo fans and members of the gaming media looking for cheap copy. But this being the Sonic fanbase, which ravenously consumes new information, what was probably intended as inconsequential footage has now become a major story. I'm starting to think that 'Not Green Hill' has gotten more attention from the Nintendo Direct then either Splatoon 2 or that weird motion control game.

2 minutes ago, Patron Night said:

What if the classic intro level is a mishmash of multiple level tropes smashed together to get the "fused worlds" point across?

The sidekick could get a glowy shield and no cooldown on their attacks like in Heroes.

I would personally hope for an SA2 Shadow-style heroic self-sacrifice, which then builds up to the Super fight.

Except this time that character stays dead.

• Thumbs Up 1

So I just read the whole "Tails has given up" rumor that I somehow completely missed before and the character creation thing and... I sort of like it. 

The "Bubsy" character thing sitting between two Sonic's sounds a bit more stable that way should it turn out to not be some rando whose here to somehow be more relevant than the other characters I like. With the Archie Comics currently no longer releasing content with them, I've got no choice but to rely on these games for that sweet cocaine gift of my favorite cast in gaming. 

As for Tails having given up... I actually really like that idea. Not too sure about him only coming back when it turns out Sonic is around again. The idea of him learning to cope with Sonic's loss and drumming up the courage to eventually rejoin the fight on his own without him sounds like it'd do wonders for his character growth. Then again, this is all assuming it's true. 

9 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Forces was in development two years prior to Mania, how could they align themselves with a product that didn't exist yet?

A whole lot of elbow grease my friend.

Well, that, and Forces would have had to come up with the idea to use Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles first. Realistically speaking that idea is so basic that it shouldn't be that hard imagining them doing it but it is somehow. It really is. They can't even be bothered to let Sonic and Tails have a proper team up anymore. Not really.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/03/17/sonic-forces-gameplay-eyes-on-impressions

Too bad that IGN already confimed Tails alongside Amy.

So you likely won’t have to worry that the world is meeting its horrific end in a dark and gritty Sonic reboot. That became clear to me as, even amidst the collapse of this cityscape, Sonic’s supporting cast — Tails and Amy among them — would occasionally chime in to shout updates on the calamitous situation at Sonic.

1 hour ago, JosepMelloZSM said:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/03/17/sonic-forces-gameplay-eyes-on-impressions

Too bad that IGN already confimed Tails alongside Amy.

Yeah. 

Although we don't really know the circumstances behind that or what point in the story that particular secession is taking place but still. 

It's all up in the air at the moment but if I've learned anything it's to not bet on the horse that has the thing you want to happen actually happening.

• Thumbs Up 2