Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

50 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Then why would they reveal it at a party for the fans?

Because its a place where it could stand on its own rather than be surrounded by other games, whilst doing a cool thing. 

This is an event it can be there by itself, can advertise multiple aspects of sonic on its own time, will have more viewers than any other sonic event because promise of a new sonic game being there and on some basic level that interests people. 

They aren't the only company to do that, there are a lot of companies realizing that,, they don't need e3 and are starting to self advertise all their stuff. And can just have events like the playsation show, that is specifically in a way to show products specific for them and not be surrounded and compared to competition. It just happened to be at a cool party.  And can now isolate press to itself. 

And I wouldn't be surprised, if they continue to do that in the future... just produced... much , much better. 

Its just good press. 

• Thumbs Up 1

That has nothing to do with the point I'm trying to make. I'm not saying they had to show it at E3 or anything like that. But making a trailer aimed at critics, investors, and casuals, and showing it at an event focused on dedicated fans, is a complete mismatch of intentions.

• Thumbs Up 7

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

Then why would they reveal it at a party for the fans?

Why wouldn't they? The fans will like it anyway. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

That has nothing to do with the point I'm trying to make. I'm not saying they had to show it at E3 or anything like that. But making a trailer aimed at critics, investors, and casuals, and showing it at an event focused on dedicated fans, is a complete mismatch of intentions.

Not at all, the party was just to show support for sonic fans. That's also good press for sega, and then they show the new sonic game, which gets them more good press. The party as nice as it was , was also a means to an end. To use its an entire fanbase as a type of product, to their excitement as a form of advertisement to show that sega " cares" , whilst press pimps out a new trailer, connected to the last two sonic games perceived as good. 

16 hours ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

Also, it'll tie into the convention XD The Americans do like having conventions named after games (I know we got Boom after it but still)

This reminds me; there is also a fan-game of that name produced by one of the staff members of the website of the convention:

Here's a trailer for that game.

On-topic though, I'm liking this game so far, and if they explain Classic (which they might due to him being in the first trailer unlike the Wisps), he's not remotely a bad addition to the game.

I think it's fair to assume they mostly included the trailer to assure fans (and, yes, others such as investors, etc.) that the modern designs and 3D games are still going to be around. Which, along with the game coming out in late 2017, makes me think it's unlikely we'll get more info soon. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I'm sure the only info we'll get this year is for Mania, and even then we might have to wait a few months.

Just now, Celestia said:

I think it's fair to assume they mostly included the trailer to assure fans (and, yes, others such as investors, etc.) that the modern designs and 3D games are still going to be around. Which, along with the game coming out in late 2017, makes me think it's unlikely we'll get more info soon. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I'm sure the only info we'll get this year is for Mania, and even then we might have to wait a few months.

Look at the tags, they mention that both Mania and Project '17 are getting news in the coming months. Btw, '06 was announced a year and a half before it's release with a CGI trailer at E3 2005. Then first gameplay footage was 3 months later at Tokyo Game Show, which takes place in September.

• Thumbs Up 8

I stand corrected.

This'll certainly be an interesting year for Sonic news. As much as I wish they had announced this stuff last month during the anniversary date or something, now that we know these games are out next year, it made sense to hold off until at least a little while later. Now the wait won't be quite as long as it would've been, but there's still plenty of time to build hype.

• Thumbs Up 3

It's definitely going to be a while before we can hear any news for this game and Mania but I'd say that's a good thing, I mean we pretty knew everything about Generations by the time it came out (outside of the lackluster story and how lacking in content it has) so while it was a really cool game to play, I doubt we're as excited when we first saw the teaser when it came out on the Sonic Facebook page. SO yeah, I don't mind if we don't get to hear a whole lot of news months from now, maybe some details on the story or how the gameplay is going to be will probably help clear any doubts people will have for the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Meh, it's probably just me getting anxious that we'll be spoiled rich from Gesn so who knows maybe we'll get some details soon but I don't want to literally everything about the game by the time it comes out, if I'm making any sense.

2 minutes ago, Kabalni said:

Meh, it's probably just me getting anxious that we'll be spoiled rich from Gesn so who knows maybe we'll get some details soon but I don't want to literally everything about the game by the time it comes out, if I'm making any sense.

As long as there isn't an upcoming demo that basically outlines everything about the game, we should be fine.

Sega's been tight lipped for this long, they probably want to avoid the fate of Generations leaks as much as possible.

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly I think the whole stream was mismanaged and while a product of good intentions, failed to deliver on expectations. 

That teaser is not a good payoff for an entire year of cryptic teases and buildup of expectations, to say nothing of the two (three?) hour nightmare stream we had to endure to get there. It's a bad look and although I can't speak on how fun the event was for fans that actually went, I do have the right to speak about the quality of the stream. It was embarrassing and some things are generally baffling but before I get to that I want to call out the technical difficulties again - I genuinely hope somebody got fired last Friday because the shit they put up on Twitch and YouTube was unacceptable. 

- 45 minutes late. 

- When the feed finally started the audio wasn't working

- Buuuuuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

- The audio cut out during announcements. It's been three days and I still don't think anyone other than the people who went has a clue what the Madeon thing was about. 

- Nobody in the world wants to tune in on a Friday night to see a live streamed Hyper Potions concert featuring a guy in a Sonic suit awkwardly dancing for an hour. Also the audio kept cutting out.

- Sonic Mania looks amazing, great trailer, really cool seeing Christian up on stage talking about it. Good job.

- buzz buzz buzz

The technical quality of the stream not only made it embarrassing to watch, but it reflects horridly on SEGA as a whole as well as the Sonic brand. I stand by what I said - I hope whoever was responsible got fired and this never happens again.

Technical issues aside the stream schedule is fucking perplexing to me. Who approved this? SEGA's marketing team knew why anyone would want to tune in to this because they kept teasing it all god damn year. "6/22 all will be revealed" or whatever. Doing cute shit with hints and teases that all led to this particular day. All of it revolving around a new game because they're not morons - they know what we want to see, and we know they know that because that was the aspect of the show they talked about to get us to want to watch. So bearing that in mind I think it's absurd that to get to the content that SEGA was aware everyone (fans and non-fans alike) tuned in for, "discussing the future of Sonic", we were expected to sit through an hour long Hyper Potions concert, an hour and ten minute long Crush 40 concert, a costume contest (holy mary mother of god are you fucking kidding me), and whatever other garbage was in the way of the Project Sonic 2017 trailer. I don't remember the rest of the schedule exactly because once I realized there was still another 25 minutes left of Crush 40 and about two hours before the "???" on the schedule, I closed the stream that I'd been hyped up for since it was announced to go to a party I'd previously turned down so that I could watch the stream with my closest friends.

What really kills me is at the end of it all, the game that was supposed to make all these months of waiting and that three hours of unadulterated trash on Twitch (other than Mania and LEGO which were dope) worth it was a two minute teaser trailer that told us exactly this about this game we've been dying to know about for three entire years:

- It's by the team we already knew it was by

- Dark tone

- Classic Sonic is in it

- It's got really nice graphics

I'm excited for this game. The style of the teaser implies to me that it's going for a story focus with a tone reminiscent of Sonic Adventure, and that's inherently very exciting to me. The visual design of the environment is very nice and right up my alley. But no, that trailer is not only a bad trailer with bland, boring music, an overly serious and dramatic tone that doesn't do much to convey what the plot of the game even is, no gameplay, and after countless teases and months of waiting... no title? Surely this is a joke?

I'm sorry that my tone is so frustrated here, I didn't mean to write it that way at first but after I started recapping the event in my head I got genuinely upset about it. Absolutely terrible management and I expect better from SEGA of America. I really do.

At the end of the day, Mania looks like a genuinely excellent game though and I'm happy to see non-fans on NeoGAF and Twitter getting jazzed about Sonic again, and Sonic '17 looks interesting. So there's positivity to be had. I just wish it didn't come in the package it did.

• Thumbs Up 8

My personal theory is that they were more desperately avoiding a Sonic Boom Rise of lyric situation, more so then the Generations leak.
When people where already damning the game and roasting it for looking unstable when it was still pre-Alpha.
So I'm sure Sega wants any footage that get's released to be as far removed from pre-Alpha as possible.

...Of course considering the finished product of Rise of Lyric didn't look much better, you can't blame the fans for not trusting any promises that unstable gameplay will be fixed later. I'm sure every new drop of info or footage we'll get will be tested and polished beyond belief. Sega's on thin ice here.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Apparently the party was great for the fans who were there and the stream was a last minute decision. It shows. They should have just released the trailers online or had a NIntendo Direct style announcement stream. 

I have to question how last minute it was considering it was like a week In advance at least that they announced a stream 

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Apparently the party was great for the fans who were there and the stream was a last minute decision. It shows. They should have just released the trailers online or had a NIntendo Direct style announcement stream. 

Where did we hear it was last minute? I thought we knew about it as far back as SXSW.

1 minute ago, Soniman said:

I have to question how last minute it was considering it was like a week In advance at least that they announced a stream 

I just remember not knowing for the longest if the party would even be streamed, which made me think it wasn't in the cards at first. All we knew was that there would be a party and there would be announcements until a week out where they announced it

12 minutes ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

My personal theory is that they were more desperately avoiding a Sonic Boom Rise of lyric situation, more so then the Generations leak.
When people where already damning the game and roasting it for looking unstable when it was still pre-Alpha.
So I'm sure Sega wants any footage that get's released to be as far removed from pre-Alpha as possible.
r, you can't blame the fans for not trusting any promises that unstable gameplay will be fixed later. I'm sure every drop of info or footage we'll get will be tested and polished beyond belief. Sega's on thin ice here.

You don't really have to do "testing" for a gameplay trailer if the game breaks while you are recording footage all you have to do is re record a couple second of gameplay. I can understand if you want to say they want the graphics to look finalized though.

I really don't think the stream was a last minute thing. Aaron had been hyping the party up for months. He wouldn't have done that if a stream wasn't part of the plan.

2 minutes ago, Sami said:

Where did we hear it was last minute? I thought we knew about it as far back as SXSW.

We didn't know that it was going to be livestreamed when it was first announced back as SXSW but Aaron hyping it up for the past couple of months did made it feel like they did have plans for livestreaming the party but man, did it feel like a last-minute continue effort. 

IIRC, the stream was on the cards for ages, but was only assured like, a week or two ago.

So they were always trying to get a stream, but it took a long time to get someone willing to do it and they had to cobble it together in a short time.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Diogenes said:

To be fair, the trailers have been put on Youtube, with millions of views.

The trailers were still intended for a wide audience.

• Thumbs Up 1

I still don't think anyone other than the people who went has a clue what the Madeon thing was about.

The Madeon thing had a piece of the "puzzle" that when put together with the other hints it was going to reveal Sonic Mania.

The message of the Sonic/Madeon thing was:

Hello Hugo

The secret is inside the empire

We can get it back

The fated son of Daedalus

Add the numbers

But as Aaron said Madeon's original line is "The Secret Is Inside The Pixel Empire" so "pixel" was the clue.