Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

7 hours ago, Cakito said:

also, the description tell us something about the plot

Screenshot_1.png

So it's like I said. So my argument about them doing that theme terribly stands. :V

7 hours ago, El Driver said:

It's pretty weird seeing places like Kotaku and Polygon being happy with what they saw while in Sonic sites it's the complete opposite.

I feel like most reviewers just see sidescrolling and think, "Yeah, that's Classic Sonic gameplay!". I've seen them say it about games like Rush and Unleashed.

20 minutes ago, Kintor said:

I think that you need to read between the lines a bit more. Sega doesn't need to spell out that this is a kind of 'Sonic Generations 2' when that's what many gamers have already been asking for. It's expected that Sonic Forces should look a lot like Sonic Generations, since that's the winning formula.

The marketing is more like: "Sonic Forces is a brand new experience [that is also basically Sonic Generations 2] releasing in 2017 for all major platforms".

Shouldn't be any grounds for confusion here.

They said it's not Generations 2, though. But as we can see, it clearly is.

• Thumbs Up 8

11 minutes ago, Mark1 said:

True. Gamers did ask for that a lot. And I'm happy that they are making a spiritual sequel. But that's not what my problem here is.

It just doesn't look like a brand new experience. At all. The only hint that they gave that this was a sequel was through that teaser and the following trailers. Iizuka urged it was a new experience though. Like he didn't want us to believe it was a sequel. 

You may be right though in what they are making here, but Sega can be more clear with the marketing side of this game.

I don't mean for this to turn into an argument. As that's not what I want. :):) 

Why can't we have a brand new experience that is also a spiritual sequel? When you get right down to it everything since Sonic 1 on the Mega Drive and Master System has been a sequel in some capacity. This whole debate about whether Sonic Forces is really Sonic Generations 2 or something else entirely just seems like semantics. We've got a new Sonic game with a new premise, that looks like it plays a lot like Sonic Generations; that's more than enough to meet my definition of a brand new experience.

1 hour ago, Kintor said:

Why can't we have a brand new experience that is also a spiritual sequel? When you get right down to it everything since Sonic 1 on the Mega Drive and Master System has been a sequel in some capacity. This whole debate about whether Sonic Forces is really Sonic Generations 2 or something else entirely just seems like semantics. We've got a new Sonic game with a new premise, that looks like it plays a lot like Sonic Generations; that's more than enough to meet my definition of a brand new experience.

Different perspectives on that statement I guess. As shown in this forum a lot of people seem to be puzzled by Iizuka's statement on the game. So we just need to see in the coming months (most likely E3) on wat they mean by a "brand new experience."

1 hour ago, Marcello said:

I feel like most reviewers just see sidescrolling and think, "Yeah, that's Classic Sonic gameplay!". I've seen them say it about games like Rush and Unleashed.

Think this will score in the 6-8 range from most reviewers. All depends on the new character's gameplay (are they still similar to Sonic in gameplay or will we have another Silver scenario?) style. That tends to annoy most journalists with Sonic games. 

Man, keeping up with all this news is exhausting. Anyway, my thoughts:

- When I heard that music, I honestly thought it sounded like something just hastily made with a basic Mega Drive soundfont (twang included). Either way, not really impressed with what is likely to be the opening stage track.

- Just spitballing at this point, but I think this stage happens just before Classic Sonic is brought to the present. Maybe when Sonic goes to confront Eggman because of Green Hill's sudden sand problems, he's greeted by Modern Eggman instead, baiting Classic Sonic into a trap to make his world conquest easier.

- I'm still not seeing any improvement with the way Classic Sonic appears to control (aside from seemingly removing the "instant spin dash" button) and it irks me to no end. I mean, if they're gonna go back to the Classic formula once again (especially when you have a Classic celebration game releasing just before it!) then the least they should do is actually try to vastly improve on how it plays. Clearly, they haven't.

At this point, I think SEGA and Sonic Team REALLY need to show something worthwhile for Sonic Forces, because trying to find good things about this game is becoming way more difficult.

• Thumbs Up 5

9 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

I...

Kind of hope that in each act for both versions of Sonic, the zone looks worse and worse, like the plants die off and everything...

But uh...

You know, just a dream.

It makes sense. Maybe this is just Act 1 and it wants to make you think that everything's all happy and normal besides all the sand, but when you get to Act 2 things are noticeably worse? Maybe the sky has gone cloudy, the music isn't so overly upbeat anymore, the plants are dying and there's more sand and machinery in the background...

Well, one can only hope.

• Thumbs Up 1

This game doesn't seem sure if it wants to be Sonic CD 2 does it? I didn't know Kid A 3  was going to sound like an electric kids toy synthesizer either. 

So that's a thing. The game looks better than the Nintendo Direct footage. But uh. I sure did want Mecha Green Hill Zone or a very SatAM Green Hill with more toxic colours like the dirt turning black  and red with decay and the plants maybe even turning into Krudzu. Remember Krudzu? 

latest?cb=20100501192215

The more this game looks like something I'd like the more I'm going to compare it to what I wanted, Sonic Team. A highly pop anarcho punk Sonic game is totally what I want and this game is.... only kind of getting it. Which really isn't the same as getting it. 

STH283covers.jpg

(seriously if I can get a Sonic game that looks anything like Diana Skelly's art and pop punk cartoon anime aesthetic, that'd be nice, thanks)

Here's something your parent company doesn't get these days. Commitment. Whatever happened to this franchise committing to ideas? Modern Sonic is having a horrible identity crisis where it's trying to be something people like but at what cost? But Classic Sonic (under Pagoda West, Taxman, and Stealth)? Comics Sonic? Even Boom Sonic? Those at least commit to what they do. You can argue that any of those are rubbish but they do their thing and hey.... people like them for committing. 

So why is this game and Modern Sonic period just not committed like they used to be? Are the critics to blame for being overly critical of the wrong things and focusing too much on surface detail instead of actual substance? That's a thought. 

But yeah Kid Sonic isn't doing anything for me right now. Needs more Thom Yorke and (a very funky) Trent Reznor.

And because I'm not done with hot takes: 

I forget where I saw it but apparently that music we heard used in Green Hill is a finished track pretty much?

If that's really true then...

I dunno, it's gonna be hard pushing through a spiritual Episode 3 essentially, and I really don't wanna have to rely on my laptop by my side playing something I actually like on my headphones while I play because that music they used is just...

No.

At first I also thought those were propellers in the foreground that were unfinished assets since they didn't spin but some have mentioned them being X markers for bottomless pits, and I gotta say, I like my idea for them better. Even if it looks better than the Generations signs I don't want that kind of babying going on.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Chameleon94 said:

No, Ohtani said on twitter this is the final track, but it's not the finished mix.

Final track...? I'm a bit confused by that...

So it's the final product, but they're remixing it still or something...?

Does that mean they revealed the track to get feedback and change it based on input?

I think the tunes of that theme are final, they could be just fixing the instruments to make it sound better.

1 minute ago, Fusion Ellipsis said:

I think the tunes of that theme are final, they could be just fixing the instruments to make it sound better.

They have a lo-----ot of work to do then.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

They have a lo-----ot of work to do then.

Perhaps, although all the music heard so far with the exception of classic Green Hill Zone sounds nearly perfect already. Fortunately then music in Sonic Forces is a part of development that shouldn't impact the rest of Sonic Team at this stage. Beyond say something like the initial concept phase of development the creation of new music is something that can be developed independently alongside the rest of the level. So everything can keep in schedule for the launch later this year even though a couple of music tracks still needs a bit of tweaking.

If Green Hill Zone is under extreme desertification, then how do they explain the pyramids in the background?

• Thumbs Up 1

One thing is for sure, this game's soundtrack is going to be nothing short of incredible. Tomoya Ohtani is the best composer Sega has ever had. Give me those beautiful guitars and vilolins, and I am fucking set. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Zippo said:

One thing is for sure, this game's soundtrack is going to be nothing short of incredible. Tomoya Ohtani is the best composer Sega has ever had. Give me those beautiful guitars and vilolins, and I am fucking set. 

I Love Ohtani as much as the next guy, but...

I don't know what the hell happened.

• Thumbs Up 6

Who's this we? I thought the main theme was serviceable.

Honestly, Ohtani's wearing out his welcome for me. Most of his music doesn't have the kinda bite I look for in Sonic music. Most of it just sounds pretty generically happy. We need Kumatani and Tokoi back in the ring. #MakeSonicMusicGreatAgain

• Thumbs Up 7

The main theme is amazing. Didn't know people disliked it. For me personally, it sounds too catchy and something I'd happily download for my phone.

Despite the odd remix of Green Hill, there's still a pretty decent chance of the game having a pretty damn amazing OST.

Wonder World and the Forces theme are signs that Ohtani is kinda losing hsi touch to me.At least, he shouldn't have to do a whole OST by himself. Let him stick to the type of themes he's good at.

• Thumbs Up 3

5 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

Who's this we?

Well theres... me... Soni said it was nice... urm... those guys who like my post.

Urm... that guy. The one with the avatar. 

And my Cat thinks it's cool.

• Thumbs Up 9

1 minute ago, KHCast said:

Wait I thought people liked Forces theme when it dropped. Now we don't...?

Or maybe different people have different opinions and Sonic fans aren't a hivemind that all like the same things. xP

1 minute ago, KHCast said:

Wait I thought people liked Forces theme when it dropped. 

Course we did. But. Shhh

Just now, Nepenthe said:

Sonic fans aren't a hivemind that all like the same things.

SHE'S ONTO US!!

• Thumbs Up 4