Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

5 hours ago, Gabz Girl said:

This is getting me more and more concerned about that third gameplay style and new character. It's either going to be this amazing, revolutionary gameplay that everybody loves and praises Sonic Team for or...well, it could end up being shit and Sonic will become even more of a laughing stock than he already is. I really, REALLY don't want the latter to happen!

E3 can't come soon enough...

It's a new gameplay style in a Sonic game, one which happens to have a character other than Sonic attached to it. Even if it ends up being the greatest thing since sliced bread I suspect critics will still slap it down on principle.

I was iffy on Roger when Colours came out, but ever since he did Sonic Boom he's really started to make the role of Sonic his own. His voice and delivery of jokes goes hand in hand with the new writing style; If there's one thing I'll give Pontac and Graff's awful writing (Colours is the only Pontaff script I genuinely found funny, Generations was the most soulless script in years, and Lost World was going through an existential crisis), even though I'll never live down their fetish with keeping it just Sonic and Tails they capture their personalities perfectly. Combine those personalities with Ian Flynn's writing and we'd be in Heaven.

And on an unrelated note, here's a spicy meme fresh from the oven to lighten the mood.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Depression Kong said:

If there's one thing I'll give Pontac and Graff's awful writing (Colours is the only Pontaff script I genuinely found funny, Generations was the most soulless script in years, and Lost World was going through an existential crisis), even though I'll never live down their fetish with keeping it just Sonic and Tails

Their fetish? Sonic Team already cut the cast down with Unleashed, before they came on board. And I doubt they have the ability to just write characters into the game without Sonic Team's approval.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

Their fetish? Sonic Team already cut the cast down with Unleashed, before they came on board. And I doubt they have the ability to just write characters into the game without Sonic Team's approval.

I'm guessing the only reason Knuckles was there was because Travis Willingham was already voicing Zavok.

But if they're writing for this game again they'll have a chance to actually do som-I don't even know why I'm bothering. That's not gonna happen.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

And I doubt they have the ability to just write characters into the game without Sonic Team's approval.

Even if they could use more characters, do you think they would be allowed to do anything? Anything relevant?

1 minute ago, Dr. Chaotix said:

I'm guessing the only reason Knuckles was there was because Travis Willingham was already voicing Zavok.

That's not how game design works. Knuckles will have been put in the game long before they decided on the English VA for a new character.  

• Thumbs Up 8

1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

Even if they could use more characters, do you think they would be allowed to do anything? Anything relevant?

Not by Sonic Team. I don't see any reason to think Pontac and Graff wouldn't be interested in doing more with them though. They've already done more with Tails than the series had since the Adventures.

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

That's not how game design works. Knuckles will have been put in the game long before they decided on the English VA for a new character.  

I don't know how game design works. That's why I guessed. 

Otherwise, I'm left thinking the reason they put him in was "just because" and I can't fathom the logic behind that. Even when it comes to the decisions they usually make that don't make any sense.

I do have to say, I'm pretty sick of Sonic and Tails only combination in the plot. This "resistance force" gives me some hope that characters like Knuckles, Espio and Blaze will have something to do this time around. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Characters mostly ever did anything when they were playable though, so it's not likely that they'll do anything of note.

But positive: They'll do something, like attack enemies in cutscenes.

Oh... Big storm today. I get home. Decide to go on the forums to see what's up. Then, a bigger storm happens, lol. Uh, guess I'll just go ahead and say what I have to say, even though no one cares. 

There's nothing in Forces that seems outright terrible to me. Sure, I don't want Classic Sonic to be there. Sure, I'd like for Sonic's friends to be playable than this supposed third character. But I'm sure it'll still be a good game. I do get everyone's complaints and understand where they are coming from, but for me, I still think I'll have a great time with the game, even though I could have had a greater time had they made some different choices. E3 will be the big seller for me to either confirm my hype or decimate it to dust. Hope it's the former.

Roger's my favorite VA as Sonic, so there's my opinion on that discussion. And hearing that the Green Hill theme is only a work in progress gives me hope as it could change a lot from now to when it releases. Seriously, listen to WIP of Sonic Heroes, jeez did that sound terrible.

I think RCS fits Boom Sonic 100% perfectly, but as normal Sonic... I don't know, I liked late Jason more and Ryan Drummond in Adventure, but his voice turned way too high pitched in SA2. While Roger is getting more natural delivering Sonic's lines, he doesn't sound like "Sonic" anymore. It sounds way too deep.

I hope Sonic's voice gets a bit more high pitched, while still sounding natural like he did in that Sonic and Eggman Twitter takeover.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Joseph Mello said:

...but his voice turned very way too high pitched in SA2.

You mean Sonic Heroes? Honestly he didn't sound that high in SA2, it was a noticeable difference, but not as much as Heroes.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Gabz Girl said:

This is getting me more and more concerned about that third gameplay style and new character. It's either going to be this amazing, revolutionary gameplay that everybody loves and praises Sonic Team for or...well, it could end up being shit and Sonic will become even more of a laughing stock than he already is. I really, REALLY don't want the latter to happen!

E3 can't come soon enough...

Yeah. I hope it does not end up like Big the Cat did. I mean, this new character looks like a cat...

I will say voice actor-wise, it's kind of a weird situation where now there is SO much more voice-acted Sonic Boom content with the current cast than regular modern Sonic content, I kinda relate that voice cast specifically to Boom now.

Having said that, I am all for Amy's developed voice from Boom being carried back over to the games, I really hope we don't go back to Minnie Mouse stuff due to a decision from the Forces' voice director or even Cindy Robinson's herself,  regarding how "regular Amy" should sound compared to the more grown-up but neurotic Boom Amy.

On the flipside I wouldn't mind if Knuckles' game voice has the dumb dialed back a bit.  Boom Knuckles is really stupid (and I've grown to love it, he makes me laugh a lot), so hearing "just a bit hard-headed" regular Knuckles with that same voice will be strange now.

• Thumbs Up 6

11 minutes ago, JezMM said:

I will say voice actor-wise, it's kind of a weird situation where now there is SO much more voice-acted Sonic Boom content with the current cast than regular modern Sonic content, I kinda relate that voice cast specifically to Boom now.

Having said that, I am all for Amy's developed voice from Boom being carried back over to the games, I really hope we don't go back to Minnie Mouse stuff due to a decision on Forces' voice director or even Cindy Robinson's own idea of how "regular Amy" sounds compared to the more grown-up but neurotic Boom Amy.

I don't think you have to worry about Amy's voice... She sounds a lot like Jennifer Doillard here.

Kirk got better, but still... It needs to be deeper.

At 4:29 when Shadow says "another rift", he sounds better.

And about Knuckles, his tone of voice changed really quickly here at 0:20 he sounds exactly like Boom Knuckles, but when he says "Why, who told you otherwise, his voice changed completly.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

So somebody on the writing staff chose to have Knuckles be as completely and utterly useless as possible?

Or perhaps, someone chose to include him at all when the game itself doesn't call for his inclusion.

• Thumbs Up 3

Knuckles was obviously just in Lost World so the world Sonic lives in would seem more lived in. Amy and the flickies alone would have looked too barren. Cream would have made more sense just as another character to liven things up and take up that dead space.

Though Cream isn't as popular as Knuckles so the game's score would have plummeted had she actually been in there =( Same reason Big wasn't in Generations. Gotta have the big 4 you know what I mean :^)

• Thumbs Up 1

I know I'm probably the only one who cares but I'm really interested in hearing how Colleen is going to differentiate her Tails voice from her Charmy voice. 

1 hour ago, DonWaffleleven said:

So somebody on the writing staff chose to have Knuckles be as completely and utterly useless as possible?

You ask this question as if this is an inconceivable decision for Sonic Team.

• Thumbs Up 3

7 minutes ago, Shaddy the guy said:

We still don't even know who's writing this one though, do we?

Aaron actually commented on this near the end of this week's stream, they'll go into detail on more about the story and who wrote down the line.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really hope the fact that they're not immediately revealing it means there's something surprising in store for us

• Thumbs Up 3