Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

8 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

Let me add to this one: Don't make it like Heroes or Adventure where you're forced to play as everybody in order to unlock the last story.  

If they were to do it like this, I hope they go the Adventure 2 route. Only two stories, played similar to one another, and didn't share any stages.

You all are extremely smart. Just saying all the stuff I've wanted to hear for so long. Never been so proud to be apart of a Sonic community before. 

• Thumbs Up 4

57 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

Let me add to this one: Don't make it like Heroes or Adventure where you're forced to play as everybody in order to unlock the last story.  

In Adventure it would've been fine if you only needed the essential plot points, meaning you only played as Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles.

In Heroes it was just padding.

I will complement Sonic Team with one thing, when it comes to his design, they got the Classic Sonic look perfectly. To his idle animations, mannerisms, and coloring, even the spinning feet looks just right. They did a great job overall with bringing him to the modern era. It's exactly how I imagined Classic Sonic looking in high defintion. 

• Thumbs Up 2

That's odd usually people say the opposite...and by opposite, they typically mean his eyes should be narrowed a bit more by default while being a darker shade of blue.

8 hours ago, Diogenes said:

A game doesn't have to be a massive success to be great, but it should have qualities that hold up over time. Gunstar Heroes isn't massively popular, but you can go back to it even now and it's still a solid, creative, and fun game. The same can be said of the Genesis Sonics, to varying degrees. I don't think that can honestly be said about something like Sonic Adventure, though, as it's plagued by poor collision, bad voice acting and cutscene animation, and a bunch of questionable gameplay gimmicks. SA is a game that only appeals to people who are already fans of it.

And no one expects a single Sonic game to perfectly please all Sonic fans. Any opportunity for that died well over a decade ago. But the series can't survive trying to please everyone at once; Forces more than anything shows how it's tearing itself apart trying to court just two sides in one game. It needs to accept that not everyone is going to get exactly what they want and aim to create a singular identity that draws in a wide variety of fans.

If you actually look back at the early era of 3D gaming, of which Sonic Adventure was a part since it was released in 1998, you'll see quite a lot of trial and era in how everything from collision detection to camera movement should work most effectively. Even so, Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 remain two of the most consistently popular Sonic games ever made and are still readily available to download by modern gamers on a variety of digital services. Because while it's popular for certain segments of the gaming media to take cheap shots at the Adventure era that kind of mindless hatred doesn't really reflect the reality of the situation. The enduring popularity of Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 amongst general gamers is on a similar level to the classic games, as they posse a timeless and enjoyable quality that keeps bringing people back even decades later.

You may believe it's impossible for a new Sonic game to please the entire Sonic fanbase but I frankly disagree. The announcement of Sonic Forces last year has done more to heal the general sense of animosity within the Sonic fanbase then six years of Lost World and Sonic Boom. The reason is quite obvious, most Sonic fans wanted to see a sequel to Sonic Generations and this is effectively what we've gotten in the form of Sonic Forces. The Sonic fanbase not only will survive but it will also thrive thanks to the success of Sonic Forces, because this game will provide the much needed stability that the Sonic franchise desperately needs. Moreover, that sense of stability also applies to the Sonic Fanbase; Sonic Forces gets everyone on the same page. No more Lost World. No more Sonic Boom. Just more boost games as the foundation for 3D Sonic going forward.

2 minutes ago, Strong Guy said:

You sound like a parody of yourself at this point

There's nothing wrong with trying to clear up a few of the misconceptions that get promoted in this thread. For one thing a lot of the hate directed towards Sonic Adventure is absurd and frankly unjustifiable, it has no basis on how that game and its sequel has historical preformed. Moreover, this idea that the Sonic fanbase is unpleasable is a simply self-destructive attitude. You'll never sustain a fan community that doesn't believe it can work together as a community. That for all its faults the Sonic fanbase is one of the most reliant parts of the gaming community, maintaining a large number of active and vocal Sonic fans despite everything that has happened in recent years. Mockery of that achievement is a disservice and counter-productive to say the least.

I'm gonna just stop you right there because I don't want another 3-4 pages about people arguing and it going absolutely nowhere. 

NO MORE

14 minutes ago, Kintor said:

If you actually look back at the early era of 3D gaming, of which Sonic Adventure was a part since it was released in 1998, you'll see quite a lot of trial and era in how everything from collision detection to camera movement should work most effectively. Even so, Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 remain two of the most consistently popular Sonic games ever made and are still readily available to download by modern gamers on a variety of digital services. Because while it's popular for certain segments of the gaming media to take cheap shots at the Adventure era that kind of mindless hatred doesn't really reflect the reality of the situation. The enduring popularity of Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 amongst general gamers is on a similar level to the classic games, as they posse a timeless and enjoyable quality that keeps bringing people back even decades later.

You may believe it's impossible for a new Sonic game to please the entire Sonic fanbase but I frankly disagree. The announcement of Sonic Forces last year has done more to heal the general sense of animosity within the Sonic fanbase then six years of Lost World and Sonic Boom. The reason is quite obvious, most Sonic fans wanted to see a sequel to Sonic Generations and this is effectively what we've gotten in the form of Sonic Forces. The Sonic fanbase not only will survive but it will also thrive thanks to the success of Sonic Forces, because this game will provide the much needed stability that the Sonic franchise desperately needs. Moreover, that sense of stability also applies to the Sonic Fanbase; Sonic Forces gets everyone on the same page. No more Lost World. No more Sonic Boom. Just more boost games as the foundation for 3D Sonic going forward.

I'm sorry what? 

• Thumbs Up 2

49 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

That's odd usually people say the opposite...and by opposite, they typically mean his eyes should be narrowed a bit more by default while being a darker shade of blue.

That's a new one to me, Interesting  The reason he was made lighter is to easier differentiate him from Modern Sonic, which i think works. 

43 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Personally this is what i always had imagined Classic Sonic to look like in modern 3D.

Untitled.thumb.png.5ebc584dae84de6641855518c58a460a.png

It's a very cool look, but the lighter fur coloring in Mania works better, in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, Zippo said:

That's a new one to me, Interesting  The reason he was made lighter is to easier differentiate him from Modern Sonic, which i think works. 

But Classic is considerably shorter than Modern. If people couldn't differentiate him from Modern, then there's most likely something wrong with them. Either way, I don't really care. He looks Classic enough to me either way.

10 minutes ago, Kintor said:

There's nothing wrong with trying to clear up a few of the misconceptions that get promoted in this thread. For one thing a lot of the hate directed towards Sonic Adventure is absurd and frankly unjustifiable, it has no basis on how that game and its sequel has historical preformed. Moreover, this idea that the Sonic fanbase is unpleasable is a simply self-destructive attitude. You'll never sustain a fan community that doesn't believe it can work together as a community. That for all its faults the Sonic fanbase is one of the most reliant parts of the gaming community, maintaining a large number of active and vocal Sonic fans despite everything that has happened in recent years. Mockery of that achievement is a disservice and counter-productive to say the least.

This is straight up nonsense, by the way. People hate Sonic Adventure and it's sequel for very valid reasons.  No need to reiterate what's already been said in this very topic, though. 

5 hours ago, Mayor D said:

Given what kind of character Eggman is and the nature of this game, Eggman needs to be a constant presence in the game, constantly mocking you and constantly ruining your day until you finally beat him at the end.

Just to add onto this, Eggman should also return to being the one piloting every boss you encounter (well major boss at least). That was always one of his most defining aspects that even people that aren't as intimately familiar with Sonic games vividly remember; he was always the one impeding your progress, not just some mook that you forget about immediately  after defeating it. It was definitely what contributed to him becoming such an iconic video game villain and it would be great to see that return, in a 3-D game at least since I have no doubt it will be like this in Mania.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Dejimon11 said:

I'm sorry what? 

You should know that both Lost World and Sonic Boom did considerable damage to the Sonic franchise as a whole; this is reflected in the deterioration of attitudes in the Sonic fanbase. Firstly many Sonic fans felt betrayed by Lost World, they resented how the game was a (at the time) Nintendo Exclusive and how it was perceived as targeting Mario fans instead of Sonic fans. While Sonic Boom, that shouldn't need any explanation, a game so bad that it threatened to undo all the good will that had accumulated from Sonic Unleashed to Sonic Generations. At least with Sonic Forces things are starting to get back on track, providing common ground and a renewed sense of focus for both the Sonic franchise and the Sonic fanbase. A few arguments here and there surrounding Sonic Forces doesn't diminish the upward trend as the Sonic fan community begins to rebuild.

Just now, blazefan519 said:

But Classic is considerably shorter than Modern. If people couldn't differentiate him from Modern, then there's most likely something wrong with them. Either way, I don't really care. He looks Classic enough to me either way.

I know multiple people who don't know the difference between the two designs, so i guess it helps. 

Just now, Zippo said:

I know multiple people who don't know the difference between the two designs, so i guess it helps. 

Really? My bad, then.

4 minutes ago, Kintor said:

At least with Sonic Forces things are starting to get back on track, 

Do you read any of the posts in this topic?

Forces' impression so far has been overwhelmingly negative.

The only thing the majority of fans are united behind is how dull the game looks.

It's so dull I can't be bothered to change the topic title anymore. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Mayor D said:

Do you read any of the posts in this topic?

Forces' impression so far has been overwhelmingly negative.

The only thing the majority of fans are united behind is how dull the game looks.

It's so dull I can't be bothered to change the topic title anymore. 

On the contrary, the postive reception of Sonic Forces is quite significent, especially compared to the universal hate that Lost World and Sonic Boom received. Right now Sega even has managed to get most of the gaming media singing Sonic Forces praises; we'll see how long that lasts but for now the media's usual slander isn't a factor that could otherwise try and damage Sonic Forces' reputation. Besides, if anything the Sonic fanbase has been it's most lively in years thanks to Sonic Forces. After Sonic Boom you where well on the way to becoming the admin of ghost town here at SSMB.

2 minutes ago, Kintor said:

You should know that both Lost World and Sonic Boom did considerable damage to the Sonic franchise as a whole; this is reflected in the deterioration of attitudes in the Sonic fanbase. Firstly many Sonic fans felt betrayed by Lost World, they resented how the game was a (at the time) Nintendo Exclusive and how it was perceived as targeting Mario fans instead of Sonic fans. While Sonic Boom, that shouldn't need any explanation, a game so bad that it threatened to undo all the good will that had accumulated from Sonic Unleashed to Sonic Generations. At least with Sonic Forces things are starting to get back on track, providing common ground and a renewed sense of focus for both the Sonic franchise and the Sonic fanbase. A few arguments here and there surrounding Sonic Forces doesn't diminish the upward trend as the Sonic fan community begins to rebuild.

Yes yes we know how bad Boom and Lost World were you don't know need to keep reminding us all the time. Here's the thing you're making it out to be that the general fanbase is super excited for Forces. Like seriously have you not been paying attention to this thread a lot of people are negative, indifferent and apathetic towards this game and have given a list of reasons why. Hell it's not even on SSMB I've been seeing a lot of that on sites like Neogaf, Twitter and Youtube. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

Yes yes we know how bad Boom and Lost World were you don't know need to keep reminding us all the time. Here's the thing you're making it out to be that the general fanbase is super excited for Forces. Like seriously have you not been paying attention to this thread a lot of people are negative, indifferent and apathetic towards this game and have given a list of reasons why. Hell it's not even on SSMB I've been seeing a lot of that on sites like Neogaf, Twitter and Youtube. 

No offense but you shouldn't put too much stock in what NeoGAF has to say, that place is increasingly at odds with the rest of the gaming community; although NeoGAF is home to one of the last enclaves of Nintendo fans left anywhere on the internet. Regardless, the crucial thing about Sonic Forces is the way that it has gotten many gamers existing about the Sonic franchise again. It's been six years since Sonic Generations and a lot of people are ready to play another game just like it. Lost World and Sonic Boom were something to be mocked or ignored but Sonic Forces represents a high quality game that a lot of people are seriously considering buying. Sonic Forces won't solve the Sonic franchise's problems overnight but it's certainly getting back into the right frame of mind when it comes to Sonic games.