Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

It's already too late...hopeless. Not worth the time...pointless.

Accept or don't accept it as is.

Pretty sure it isn't. Unlike Game Design, music is something that can actually be changed later on in development. Like, the game's coming out in a couple of months yet GHZ's music is still a WIP, so...

• Thumbs Up 2

Yep, music is awesome like that. It probably won't change due to fan request though, that doesn't seem likely.

Yep, music is awesome like that. It probably won't change due to fan request though, that doesn't seem likely.

I mean, if he sees a lot of backlash over the style of music that he chose, would that not lead to him changing it up a bit?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, blazefan519 said:

I mean, if he sees a lot of backlash over the style of music that he chose, would that not lead to him changing it up a bit?

Maybe so, maybe not...nobody can really know for sure.

Maybe so, maybe not...nobody can really know for sure.

True, true. Guess, we'll have to wait even more then.

1 minute ago, Dr. Chaotix said:

What does hype have to do with Classic Sonic not being a game breaker for me?

Plus, it's not. I'm still gonna get the game. But the heavy disappointment surrounding his inclusion in the game still stands. Especially since I had been the most hyped I had ever been for a Sonic game in years mere seconds before he showed up and slapped me in the face back to bone crippling reality.

I had allowed thoughts of a Modern, 3D, Sonic game where he went on an exciting adventure to take down Eggman with his friends to creep into my mind. But the corporate marketing standee they're using Classic Sonic as immediately told me that's not what I'm gonna get. And everything I've heard about how they'll be handling the game from then on has just kept killing whatever mojo that remained.

It hasn't been enough for me to think the game will be awful. It looks like it plays fine but if I judged my excitement for games based on how functional they were then I'd feel like a pretty sad individual.

"Oh boy. It's NOT broken. I can't wait to play a game that qualifies as serviceable and adequate. Games that actually function are the best."

I just think it's severe to go from 100 to 0 in a matter of seconds. The appearance of classic Sonic in a 3D Sonic isn't even a new idea. I would've thought the whole strangeness factor would've worn off by the end of 2011 when Sonic Generations was released. I just see classic Sonic another gameplay element that Sonic Team can include in future 3D Sonic games. Having classic Sonic doesn't change anything about the 16-bit or even the 8-bit Sonic games; it's an interesting tribute that can exist independently of what has come before.

10 minutes ago, Kintor said:

I just think it's severe to go from 100 to 0 in a matter of seconds. The appearance of classic Sonic in a 3D Sonic isn't even a new idea. I would've thought the whole strangeness factor would've worn off by the end of 2011 when Sonic Generations was released. I just see classic Sonic another gameplay element that Sonic Team can include in future 3D Sonic games. Having classic Sonic doesn't change anything about the 16-bit or even the 8-bit Sonic games; it's an interesting tribute that can exist independently of what has come before.

It's an interesting tribute if it's only used and was meant to be used once. After Iizuka's words on Classic Sonic in Generations being a one-off thing, nobody really expected that guy to come back in a "3D" game, yet here he is and people have been lied to. That's why the hype has gone from 100 to 0 for many people (I've gone from 100 to maybe 20). There is pretty much no reason for his inclusion except for nostalgia pandering, which is being even more severe for this game with Mania co-existing.

And now with showcase of Classic Sonic gameplay and other news it's just getting worse, you cannot deny that.

1 minute ago, Bobnik said:

It's an interesting tribute if it's only used and was meant to be used once. After Iizuka's words on Classic Sonic in Generations being a one-off thing, nobody really expected that guy to come back in a "3D" game, yet here he is and people have been lied to. That's why the hype has gone from 100 to 0 for many people (I've gone from 100 to maybe 20). There is pretty much no reason for his inclusion except for nostalgia pandering, which is being even more severe for this game with Mania co-existing.

Well, I suppose that I've never considered classic Sonic be one off novelty. I've never put much stock in press interviews, they're always concerned about the immediate future and should never be taken as an iron clad promise something will or won't happen. Even back in 2011 I considered the possibility that if Sonic Generations was a success we'd probably see classic Sonic again in more 3D Sonic games. It took a little longer the I initially thought but sure enough here we are again with classic Sonic playing a big part in the next major 3D Sonic game. Ultimately, classic Sonic might become a regular occurrence at this point but that remains to be seen.

I don't really see much in that statement about classic's music all being made using similar techniques. After all, we don't know much about how all the music was composed for other Sonic games, do we? The instrumentation in say, classic crisis city is actually similar to this piece (which is still far from being bad enough to actually matter as much as some of y'all seem to think), it just has enough backing it up from the outside to make it not as plain-sounding as this piece admittedly is. For all we know, Ohtani could have made that track the exact same way as this one. I'm not saying that excuse will be valid if the game comes out and every classic theme sounds exactly the same, but the three pieces we've heard from this title are all pretty distinctly different, to the point where assuming all of it will be one way or another is like judging a book by it's cover, when that book's cover is not a cover but a metal tab, and that book is actually a can of grape crush soda. It just doesn't work that way. 

• Thumbs Up 3

39 minutes ago, Kintor said:

Seeing classic Sonic shouldn't be a game breaker for you, especially given the hype that surrounded the reveal trailer

"Other people liked it, so you shouldn't feel otherwise, going against the majority is wrong."

• Thumbs Up 6

3 minutes ago, KHCast said:

"Other people liked it, so you shouldn't feel otherwise, going against the majority is wrong."

Or rather then your interpriation of that sentence: the idea is that the reveal trailer of Sonic Forces had plenty of things to get hyped about, using the appearance of classic Sonic to deny that real hype doesn't make sense. Especially seeing as how classic Sonic in a 3D Sonic game has already proven it's merit as a popular feature thanks to Sonic Generations.

5 minutes ago, KHCast said:

That literally is completely different from the sentence I quoted 

If was completely different you wouldn't need to come up with your own interpretation, complete with quotation marks. Still, I've taken the time to explain my intended argument with that sentence again anyway. It's about hype and how classic Sonic shouldn't be the decided factor, especially during the whole reveal trailer.

1 hour ago, Kintor said:

Or rather then your interpriation of that sentence: the idea is that the reveal trailer of Sonic Forces had plenty of things to get hyped about, using the appearance of classic Sonic to deny that real hype doesn't make sense. Especially seeing as how classic Sonic in a 3D Sonic game has already proven it's merit as a popular feature thanks to Sonic Generations.

Sure it makes sense. 

I got hyped because I thought I was getting a Modern 3D adventure focused Sonic game.

I got un-hyped when I realized I wasn't.

Classic Sonic was the thing that told me I wasn't.

And I don't factor what's popular into why I react to certain things. That trending tab on the Youtube page goes untouched for a reason. 

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, Kintor said:

Classic Sonic strikes me as more of a crutch than a worthwhile addition at this point, especially thanks to Mania, which makes his appearance in Forces seem completely redundant and even more disappointing for anyone who liked a character that wasn't a blue hedgehog. The "Sometimes even heroes need help" tagline from that trailer still pisses me off because they managed to completely kill hype in fifteen seconds with this shit.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Chaotix said:

Sure it makes sense. 

I got hyped because I thought I was getting a Modern 3D adventure focused Sonic game.

I got un-hyped when I realized I wasn't.

Classic Sonic was the thing that told me I wasn't.

And I don't factor what's popular into why I react to certain things. That trending tap on the Youtube page goes untouched for a reason. 

You've still got a modern 3D adventure game with a focus on Sonic, the modern Sonic boost-based gameplay is still front and centre. It's modern Sonic that got the first gameplay reveal. Of course, at the same time classic Sonic is also a part of 3D Sonic games thanks to Sonic Generations. You may not aknowledge popular trends but both parts of Sonic Generations were well-received. This is what has informed the core design of Sonic Forces.

17 minutes ago, Kintor said:

Your retort and argument is that because something is hyped, that your doubts and concerns shouldn't be there. That can easily be assumed from the quoted piece of your comment. Also the fuck is "real hype" in this context?

1 hour ago, Indigo Rush said:

Hope you liked Classic Sonic's music, 'cause it's all gonna sound like that.

I didn't have any doubt about that, but still. Boo.

That track is actually really grating to my ears so I don't think I could tolerate a full game of that. Forces seems like something I'd maybe get if reception is largely positive, it's on sale, and someone makes a mod that lets me swap out music for whatever I please.

Edit: on the whole I'm not that bothered by Classic Sonic being in another 3D game, though I think the they're using him feels very shoehorned, as opposed to Generations where they were clearly going for something explicitly nostalgic. If anything I'm more bothered by Green Hill since it's just getting very played out. Entirely new levels based around Classic Sonic are AOK by me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, KHCast said:

Your retort and argument is that because something is hyped, that your doubts and concerns shouldn't be there. That can easily be assumed from the quoted piece of your comment. Also the fuck is "real hype" in this context?

This is a converation abou the hype that surrounds Sonic Forces, the genuine sense of excitment for a new 3D Sonic that hasn't been since in many years now, thanks to the poor reception of Sonic Boom. Discussing how classic Sonic fits into that hype goes a long way to explain why the appearance of classic Sonic shouldn't be used as a reason to try and negate that hype.

8 minutes ago, KHCast said:
17 minutes ago, Kintor said:

If was completely different you wouldn't need to come up with your own interpretation, complete with quotation marks. Still, I've taken the time to explain my intended argument with that sentence again anyway. It's about hype and how classic Sonic shouldn't be the decided factor, especially during the whole reveal trailer.

Yeah, okay, not really understanding the thought process at play here

"I didn't like that Classic Sonic showed up"

"Well you should have liked it because we know why Classic Sonic showed up and some people(???) liked him."

"Ok but I'm not them this is how I feel."

"Well then you should stop claiming nobody liked Classic Sonic."

"I- I didn't sa-"

"OH BUT YOU DID SAY THAT, HEATHEN. OTHERWISE, WHY ELSE WOULD YOU HAVE MOCKED MY TONE? IT CAN'T BE OUT OF SOME SORT OF DISRESPECT FOR MY BROKEN IDEALS AND BLATANTLY UNTRUE ATTEMPTS AT FACTS, SURELY."

Like what the fuck man? You're putting arguments into other people's mouths to argue with them even though they never said those things in the first place. Stop doing this stuff, it's as bad as the whole 

"But did you buy a Wii U?"

"It's not as profitable as the Wii was."

"But did you buy one or not?"

"IT'S NOT AS PROFITABLE AS THE WII WAS AND HERE'S THE REASONS WHY"

routine from a few years back when Boom was announced. Can you please take the conversation narrative in a linear direction like the rest of goddamn humanity does? I'm really not a fan of this shit being the only other thing in the thread besides me supporting the game, you're making making me want to argue against someone who shares my ideals for sake of willful disassociation.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

I dunno, dude. Most of SSMB the moment Classic Sonic was revealed in the Project 2017 teaser can be kinda summed up like this:

So you say but the reaction of Sonic fans on the day towards classic Sonic was remarkable positive: