Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

A video of Cobanermanis thoughts and theories 

He mentions an idea about this game being a successor to dark brotherhood. While I don't think it's true it was a fun idea that kept me watching. I have never got far in dark brother hood but while I know sega won't do it the theory does make sense to me.

I also agree that the graphics we saw look great and I really don't get how people can know the limits of games like uncharted and ratchet and clank and still think this is not pre rendered.

• Thumbs Up 1

I admittedly thought for a second that it was an in game cutscene due to the polygon count being slightly more apparent in the close up of Sonic's face and my initial excitement during the stream

3 hours ago, -Ace- said:

0BrFYT.gif

I forgot how good that game looked. Such a waste.

• Thumbs Up 6

30 minutes ago, TheLaw34 said:

A video of Cobanermanis thoughts and theories 

He mentions an idea about this game being a successor to dark brotherhood. While I don't think it's true it was a fun idea that kept me watching. I have never got far in dark brother hood but while I know sega won't do it the theory does make sense to me.

I also agree that the graphics we saw look great and I really don't get how people can know the limits of games like uncharted and ratchet and clank and still think this is not pre rendered.

Aha I had just finished watching the video, and it make sense what he says about Dark Brother Hood. But the problem is that I don't think it will happen since Takashi stated that it wasn't a sequel to any past games. 

Some guy has been going around claiming to have "inside knowledge" and claims to know the premise of the game. I believe he goes by the name "Larry".

To sum it up Sonic goes missing for an undetermined amount of time. You create a character, by the name of Buddy, and join his friends to help rescue/find him and then proceed to join the resistance..

Nothing too significant but thought it'd be fun to bring up. If this happens to be true, I'm going to flip. In a good way.

1 hour ago, The Matticus said:

Some guy has been going around claiming to have "inside knowledge" and claims to know the premise of the game. I believe he goes by the name "Larry".

To sum it up Sonic goes missing for an undetermined amount of time. You create a character, by the name of Buddy, and join his friends to help rescue/find him and then proceed to join the resistance..

Nothing too significant but thought it'd be fun to bring up. If this happens to be true, I'm going to flip. In a good way.

I don't think that is a good idea to be honest. Sonic never pulled off character creation before and I think it can go two ways... It can be really good, or the more plausible option, a deviantArt kid's wet dream. If that thing is actually true, I would prepare to see a lot of screenshots of "OCs" on deviantArt from the game. Also, Buddy sounds a little bit dumb to be honest, I guess its a nickname, so the voice actors can talk directly to you. There is also a problem of "Buddy" not applying to female characters (Although I am not really sure about that). 

2 hours ago, The Matticus said:

Given then whole Sonic-only state they've been in, that premise alone is full of ungodly amounts of bullshit that they're obviously lying.

This is about the same as when people thought Eggman would be a walrus in Unleashed...or something like that.

• Thumbs Up 4

6 hours ago, -Ace- said:

0BrFYT.gif

Im not a fan of the boost gameplay...but i can see it being actually fun if sonic was slowed down dramatically (with and without boosting). Same speed as seen in the gif -Ace- posted.

Also, if it was very limited to only be used to access specific locations or to maximise speed on downhill sections (also seen in the gif), that would actually be very rewarding.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Riverstone said:

Im not a fan of the boost gameplay...but i can see it being actually fun if sonic was slowed down dramatically (with and without boosting). Same speed as seen in the gif -Ace- posted.

Also, if it was very limited to only be used to access specific locations or to maximise speed on downhill sections (also seen in the gif), that would actually be very rewarding.

RIP Sonic Runners

A lot of people talk about this "Buddy" idea from Runners for Classic (and potential other characters) but honestly I don't want to see it.  I just want clean straightforward platforming fun with a single character, no add-ons or customisation to worry about.

If they're putting characters in, let us play as them as they are, don't cocktease us with partial playability or tagalong nonsense.

• Thumbs Up 8

If the boost gameplay doesn't make a comeback (unlikely though), I do hope the elemental shields come back. I've always wanted to see them in a 3D game and the the only one we've ever gotten was the electric shield. I imagine the bubble shield could work like the bounce attack from SA2/Lost World and the flame shield could work like the air dash from the boost gameplay.

If they do come back, I absolutely don't want them to be the same as how they were handled in Generations/Lost World. A good compromise would be the best of both worlds; maybe you can find shields normally in levels and you can also keep items in a reserve inventory like in Lost World - that would be cool imo.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/26/2016 at 8:20 AM, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Unleashed did it the best so far IMO. They really shouldn't make other humans look much less cartoony then Robotnik.

It just sucks so much that since 06 ruined things,  we may never see that style again. 

Possibly to a point where it could've evolved into something more better and suitable for everyone. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I find it beautifully ironic that this "Classic Sonic is a buddy like the buddies in Runners" theory came about, when Classic Sonic himself wasn't a buddy in Runners, but was playable.

If they bring back the buddy system, it will likely be saved for smaller characters like Chao and Wisps.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, ChikoLad said:

I find it beautifully ironic that this "Classic Sonic is a buddy like the buddies in Runners" theory came about, when Classic Sonic himself wasn't a buddy in Runners, but was playable.

If they bring back the buddy system, it will likely be saved for smaller characters like Chao and Wisps.

Just because he wasn't a buddy in Runners doesn't mean he can't be here. Different games, and the buddy idea would likely be expanded in a fully-fledged title like 2017. 

• Thumbs Up 5

14 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Just because he wasn't a buddy in Runners doesn't mean he can't be here. Different games, and the buddy idea would likely be expanded in a fully-fledged title like 2017. 

Yes, but why would you sooner assume he would be a buddy when the game with the buddy system featured him as a playable character, using buddies himself?

It's a huge leap in logic to consider the idea he would be a buddy right now. It's like seeing Sonic in a CGI trailer for a new Smash Bros, and saying "he's going to be an Assist Trophy this time because he jumped in and helped Mario against Bowser". There's absolutely nothing hinting at the possibility he would be a buddy. Him helping Modern Sonic means nothing more than the two Sonics are working together again, which was the case in Generations.

I'm thinking he'll either just be his own character like in Generations (but not necessarily with the same gameplay as he had in Generations), or if we have to take the idea of him running alongside Modern Sonic to mean something (even though he did this in the Generations teaser and he was still his own playable character), then we could have a Sonic Advance 3/Sonic Heroes kind of situation, where you can switch between them on the fly or at least between levels, but both are still fully playable in any level.

3 minutes ago, ChikoLad said:

Yes, but why would you sooner assume he would be a buddy when the game with the buddy system featured him as a playable character, using buddies himself?

It's a huge leap in logic to consider the idea he would be a buddy right now. It's like seeing Sonic in a CGI trailer for a new Smash Bros, and saying "he's going to be an Assist Trophy this time because he jumped in and helped Mario against Bowser". There's absolutely nothing hinting at the possibility he would be a buddy. Him helping Modern Sonic means nothing more than the two Sonics are working together again, which was the case in Generations.

I'm thinking he'll either just be his own character like in Generations (but not necessarily with the same gameplay as he had in Generations), or if we have to take the idea of him running alongside Sonic to mean something (even though he did this in the Generations teaser and he was still his own playable character), then we could have a Sonic Advance 3/Sonic Heroes kind of situation, where you can switch between them on the fly or at least between levels, but both are still fully playable.

It's not a huge leap to assume they're doing something different with Classic's inclusion, given they've repeatedly reinforced that this is a "all-new experience" and not 'Generations 2.' I've simply got a hunch that the "new experience" will be to do with this idea of "building a resistance"; something that would suit a buddy system, lest they code like, all of the usual Sonic folks as playable (assuming they were to be part of this 'resistance', that is; they could just have a very cruddy 'resistance' of Modern and Classic, which isn't too intimidating against those giant mechs, but w/e)

• Thumbs Up 8

7 minutes ago, ChikoLad said:

I don't think the idea of a buddy system using the actual main Sonic cast is to far out there. If Sonic Team is building on past ideas, they may had looked at the side missions in Sonic Generations where the other characters were used as a summon of sorts. And then they may had decided to combine that with Lost World/Runners buddy system and even the Sonic & Tails companion system of the classic games to make a whole new buddy system for this next game.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Lord-Dreamerz said:

I don't think the idea of a buddy system using the actual main sonic cast is to far out there. If Sonic Team is building on past ideas, they may had looked at the side missions in Sonic Generations where the other characters were used as a summon of sorts. And then they may had decided to combine that with Lost World/Runners buddy system and even the Sonic & Tails companion system of the classic games to make a whole new buddy system for this next game.

Precisely this. The way Classic shows up in the trailer, with the random blue particle effects, reminds me considerably of the Generations partnership missions. It's just a hunch, but that's my current line of thinking. 

• Thumbs Up 2

For what it's worth "Not a sequel" can mean many things. Could just mean "won't be named Generations 2."

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Just now, WittyUsername 2: Revenge said:

For what it's worth "Not a sequel" can mean many things. Could just mean "won't be named Generations 2."

They've pushed it as "a new experience" (not sure if that was the exact wording, but something like that was stated by Iizuka before the trailer). Pretty sure it's more than just the name he's talking about. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe but maybe not.

What does he view as a game sequel? Is it different from what you and I think? Do you and I have separate opinions? Does it have to have story mentioning or is it only story? Does gameplay factor? How different?

For instance, some view Heroes as the first sequel to Sonic Adventure 2, I don't.

19 minutes ago, Tracker said:

It's not a huge leap to assume they're doing something different with Classic's inclusion, given they've repeatedly reinforced that this is a "all-new experience" and not 'Generations 2.' I've simply got a hunch that the "new experience" will be to do with this idea of "building a resistance"; something that would suit a buddy system, lest they code like, all of the usual Sonic folks as playable (assuming they were to be part of this 'resistance', that is; they could just have a very cruddy 'resistance' of Modern and Classic, which isn't too intimidating against those giant mechs, but w/e)

It's not a huge leap to assume they're doing something different, but it is a huge leap to assume that different thing would be the buddy system with Classic Sonic as a buddy, of all things.

15 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Precisely this. The way Classic shows up in the trailer, with the random blue particle effects, reminds me considerably of the Generations partnership missions. It's just a hunch, but that's my current line of thinking. 

Classic Sonic didn't show up with blue particle effects, the blue particle effects are the aftermath of the blue light of his spin animation, which is a particle effect. Even without that, it would still be a huge stretch to assume that means he's non-playable, because it's incredibly common for characters in epic trailer shots to have some kind of random particle effect going on when they show up.

17 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

I don't think the idea of a buddy system using the actual main Sonic cast is to far out there. If Sonic Team is building on past ideas, they may had looked at the side missions in Sonic Generations where the other characters were used as a summon of sorts. And then they may had decided to combine that with Lost World/Runners buddy system and even the Sonic & Tails companion system of the classic games to make a whole new buddy system for this next game.

I don't think it's a huge stretch that they might do that in an installment either, it's something I thought they might do since Generations. However, I think it's a huge stretch to assume they are doing it in this game based off of Classic Sonic showing up to help Sonic. And much like with Runners, once again, Classic Sonic was playable in Generations. He was getting help from the helper characters too. So it makes no sense to assume he would be a helper all of a sudden when we have been given no evidence to support it, and both of the games with this helper/buddy system featured Classic Sonic as playable (so we don't have past games and patterns to support the idea either. Past games and patterns indicate that when Classic Sonic is in a game as a separate character, he's always playable).

Your point would make more sense if Tails or Knuckles showed up (and ironically, you all probably would have assumed they would be playable, if they showed up :P). Or a Wisp or a Chao. But that's not what happened. A character that has never once been presented as an assist character, showed up. And he's always playable (for good reason).

7 minutes ago, Tracker said:

They've pushed it as "a new experience" (not sure if that was the exact wording, but something like that was stated by Iizuka before the trailer). Pretty sure it's more than just the name he's talking about. 

"New experience" is still incredibly vague. He could just be trying to clarify that the game won't be a pure nostalgia trip like Generations, and we will be getting a new, more fleshed out story (which the trailer seems to indicate to a degree), and new levels (trailer also seems to indicate this as the area looks new).

The thing is, Iizuka didn't just say this wasn't a sequel. He also said it's an all-new experience, meaning to me that at least one element has been significantly changed from Generations. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Modern were the only playable character, with other characters available for support like the Wisps. With the Circle/B button that never gets used. Imagine, there's a wall with a surprise at the top. Summon Tails to fly you up there. Knuckles digs for goodies, Shadow slows down time, and so forth. They could even get really creative if they wanted, like maybe Vector lets you swim around like Spyro while sonic holds onto his tail. 

Just some fun ideas. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, VolatileMike said:

The thing is, Iizuka didn't just say this wasn't a sequel. He also said it's an all-new experience, meaning to me that at least one element has been significantly changed from Generations. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Modern were the only playable character, with other characters available for support like the Wisps. With the Circle/B button that never gets used. Imagine, there's a wall with a surprise at the top. Summon Tails to fly you up there. Knuckles digs for goodies, Shadow slows down time, and so forth. They could even get really creative if they wanted, like maybe Vector lets you swim around like Spyro while sonic holds onto his tail. 

Just some fun ideas. 

He actually did say it wasn't a sequel. His exact Engrish words were:

"This is not sequel. It will be brand new experience."

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, ChikoLad said:

I don't think it's a huge stretch that they might do that in an installment either, it's something I thought they might do since Generations. However, I think it's a huge stretch to assume they are doing it in this game based off of Classic Sonic showing up to help Sonic.

I don't think it's a huge thing to assume at all! It was honestly the 2nd thing I thought of quickly within a few hours when the trailer was shown off. I don't think it's much worse then to assume it's basically a Sonic Generations 2 just because Classic Sonic showed up. And I admit that a Gens 2 is the easy guess here based after what is shown so far, but that doesn't mean the other theories are unlikely.

2 minutes ago, ChikoLad said:

He actually did say it wasn't a sequel. His exact Engrish words were:

"This is not sequel. It will be brand new experience."

Right, that's what I meant.