Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

Just now, Polkadi said:

So you're telling us to have a self-centred and extremely egotistic doctor controlling something that doesn't look like the doctor?

He names things with the prefix "Egg-", if you aren't convinced.

It happened in Unleashed and Colors and countless other titles so...

The answer to that is yes.

3 minutes ago, Polkadi said:

So you're telling us to have a self-centred and extremely egotistic doctor controlling something that doesn't look like the doctor?

He names things with the prefix "Egg-", if you aren't convinced.

I think what he meant was that the Death Egg Robot doesn't have to be the only major robot that can be reused or redesigned for this game. There are plenty of other Egg-themed robots that could be used alongside it.

• Thumbs Up 5

I think it's fine for the final boss to look like Eggman, since that's kind of his schtick. It's like Dr Wily putting skulls on everything.

It should be more than just a big robot Eggman, though. The original Death Egg Robo doesn't have the same impact it used to. Especially with this game making them into mass produced grunts. Put a theme to it, give it some style.

• Thumbs Up 9

There are like...4 other Eggman robots to also make into grunts along with the usual Death Egg robot. The 2 from Sonic 3&Knuckles, the Egg Emperor, and "you know what they say, the more the merrier" from Shadow the Hedgehog.

Heck, even Sonic is aware of how often he fights the Death Egg Robot. In Lego Dimensions when you fight it again this is the dialogue between Sonic and Eggman.

Eggman: Bet you weren't expecting this!

Sonic: Well yeah, this is like, the fourth time I've had to fight this thing.

• Thumbs Up 7

Maybe there's a enormous Death Egg Robot Sonic goes inside in, and inside that Death Egg Robot there's another big Death Egg Robo that opens his mouth and smaller Death Egg Robots come out and even smaller Death Egg robots come out of that.
And all those tiny Death Egg Robots are crawling all over Sonic like tiny spiders and coming out of every nook and cranny, filling the entire screen... And then we cut to Knopps jolting awake in his bed, screaming in fear.

Or hey, a twist, Sonic jumps into a giant Death Egg Robot and takes control of it. So we're playing AS the Death Egg Robot. And then you encounter and have to fight Metal Sonic, now playing the Sonic 2 final boss fight with the roles reversed.

Or hey, maybe just more Green Hill zone.

As Sonic Unleashed sung to us, endless possibilities.

• Thumbs Up 4

Sega needs to release something new to get the hype going.

Like thew trailer for Green hill Zone 2

I don't really mind the design of the final boss as long as it plays more like Sonic's segments in Dark Gaia/Generations' Perfect Chaos where it's basically a final exam platforming challenge.  Or just... anything more interesting than "running down a corridor, dodging attacks and then performing a very straightforward homing attack chain", which was fine in Colours but derivative in Lost World.  Egg Dragoon in Generations was also a fantastic "final exam" boss for the boost gameplay's moveset more or less, just a bit overly long with the attack cycles.

1 hour ago, SuaveKnux said:

Sega needs to release something new to get the hype going.

Like thew trailer for Green hill Zone 2

They released the Classic Sonic footage only 2 weeks ago and released new Mania footage yesterday, we aren't due for anything really.  Forces is still half a year away.  We'll have seen plenty by the time E3 comes around, which is a reasonable time to wait.

Unless everyone dug the whole "let's show every single level and boss except the shitty final boss (but we'll at least spoil the music for it, as consolation)" Sonic Generations marketing approach.

• Thumbs Up 5

2 hours ago, JezMM said:

I don't really mind the design of the final boss as long as it plays more like Sonic's segments in Dark Gaia/Generations' Perfect Chaos where it's basically a final exam platforming challenge.  Or just... anything more interesting than "running down a corridor, dodging attacks and then performing a very straightforward homing attack chain", which was fine in Colours but derivative in Lost World.  Egg Dragoon in Generations was also a fantastic "final exam" boss for the boost gameplay's moveset more or less, just a bit overly long with the attack cycles.

They released the Classic Sonic footage only 2 weeks ago and released new Mania footage yesterday, we aren't due for anything really.  Forces is still half a year away.  We'll have seen plenty by the time E3 comes around, which is a reasonable time to wait.

Unless everyone dug the whole "let's show every single level and boss except the shitty final boss (but we'll at least spoil the music for it, as consolation)" Sonic Generations marketing approach.

I dug that cause it excited me and showed they were not afraid to show off their new game.  forced is like someone at work with no pants trying to hide till it's time to leave. Hell mania isn't due tiil what August now or September and we get way more info on it

1 hour ago, JezMM said:

I'd rather they show it off by releasing it and letting me experience all the cool surprises for the first time as I play rather than expecting them all because I'd seen them in trailers beforehand.

The goalpost breaking away at the end of Crisis City Act 1 was probably the most exciting set-piece in Generations purely on virtue of the fact that it was one of the only ones they didn't show off in a trailer beforehand.  Biolizard was the most interesting boss to me on the 3DS version because it was literally the only piece of content across both games that I didn't know was coming until I played it.

Meanwhile the absolutely wacky GUN Truck chase with it's sawblades and having the audacity to follow Sonic up onto the side of a building would've been WILD and hilarious had I not seen it in advance and knew that it was going to happen.

People are gonna KNOW whether a game is good before or just after a game comes out anyway.  To me, a lack of footage shows confidence while having trailers that show off every single part of the game just comes off as desperate, and those trailers are only going to show the exciting parts anyway.  We already know Sonic Team can pull off spectacle so they're not gonna impress me.  Instead I'm just like "well I hope the gameplay that ties all these cool moments together is really good because I've already seen all the visual pay-offs for completing them".

Ffxv showed off lots. Persona did the same. Loz did. None of those experiences were ruined. 

4 hours? Platformers aren't typically 4 hours too short. 

A Sonic game is almost guaranteed this fate, with the boost gameplay at least.

11 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Ffxv showed off lots. Persona did the same. Loz did. None of those experiences were ruined. 

And there were still plenty of surprises in those huge games. Generations was like 4 hours long at best, and they had multiple trailers showing off every level and boss. We'd seen the entire game through officially released media months before release. 

• Thumbs Up 7

19 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

That's entirely subjective, and I'd disagree, with a specific example (Breath of the Wild Story Spoilers, regarding the memories specifically):

Once I figured out that all of the cut-scenes shown in the trailer featuring Zelda were Memories, I realised the Memory triggered by the forest scenery must be the one seen in the trailer where Zelda cries into Link's arms.  It was the last memory I needed, and I pieced together from the other memories that Zelda and Link being in such a dire situation was probably due to the return of Calamity Ganon, as is foreshadowed in all the other memories.  As such, I figured out that it must be located in a forest nearby Hyrule Castle, which they were freshly fleeing from in the cut-scene.  I of course, was 100% right on all accounts, and I hate that I couldn't help but figure out the memory's rough location using external media, rather than just exploring the game naturally as is encouraged.

My reward?  Of course a cut-scene that was nowhere near as heartstring pulling as it could've been because I knew the entire way through that it would climax with Zelda finally breaking down into Link's arms, spoiling what actually turned out to be an extremely pivitol moment in their relationship (considering how physically distant they are for the rest of the game).

It's just one moment, but an important one.  Thank god it was the only one and they were wise with the majority of the pre-release spoilers.  But the trailer could've really, REALLY done without that cheap heart-tugging moneyshot.

And what other people said about game length differences.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, JezMM said:

That's entirely subjective, and I'd disagree, with a specific example (Breath of the Wild Story Spoilers, regarding the memories specifically):

Hide contents

Once I figured out that all of the cut-scenes shown in the trailer featuring Zelda were Memories, I realised the Memory triggered by the forest scenery must be the one seen in the trailer where Zelda cries into Link's arms.  It was the last memory I needed, and I pieced together from the other memories that Zelda and Link being in such a dire situation was probably due to the return of Calamity Ganon, as is foreshadowed in all the other memories.  As such, I figured out that it must be located in a forest nearby Hyrule Castle, which they were freshly fleeing from in the cut-scene.  I of course, was 100% right on all accounts, and I hate that I couldn't help but figure out the memory's rough location using external media, rather than just exploring the game naturally as is encouraged.

My reward?  Of course a cut-scene that was nowhere near as heartstring pulling as it could've been because I knew the entire way through that it would climax with Zelda finally breaking down into Link's arms, spoiling what actually turned out to be an extremely pivitol moment in their relationship (considering how physically distant they are for the rest of the game).

It's just one moment, but an important one.  Thank god it was the only one and they were wise with the majority of the pre-release spoilers.  But the trailer could've really, REALLY done without that cheap heart-tugging moneyshot.

And what other people said about game length differences.

I'm the type to read a story plot online and still squel at a movie when I see it. That's just me. Loz I suppose. I honestly didn't get the nomemories till the last guardian I needed before the castle raid

Just now, Meta77 said:

I'm the type to read a story plot online and still squel at a movie when I see it. That's just me. Loz I suppose. I honestly didn't get the nomemories till the last guardian I needed before the castle raid

Yeah this is the thing.  It's fair enough that some people just... aren't affected by spoilers.  They don't care about surprises.  I don't understand it but I can appreciate it's a thing.

But if these people are the ones that pre-release material appeal to, those who don't want spoilers are forced to see them everywhere unless they go on media blackout, which becomes more of a ridiculous notion with each passing year in this day and age.  Meanwhile if pre-release material is kept tight and minimalistic, both anti-spoiler people and people who don't care about spoilers will enjoy the final game just the same.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, JezMM said:

Yeah this is the thing.  It's fair enough that some people just... aren't affected by spoilers.  They don't care about surprises.  I don't understand it but I can appreciate it's a thing.

But if these people are the ones that pre-release material appeal to, those who don't want spoilers are forced to see them everywhere unless they go on media blackout, which becomes more of a ridiculous notion with each passing year in this day and age.  Meanwhile if pre-release material is kept tight and minimalistic, both anti-spoiler people and people who don't care about spoilers will enjoy the final game just the same.

For me if I were to explain I'm a story buff.  I'm the type to try and analyze a movie or sonic game to a t. It's fun to have knowledge and knowledge is power!

4 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

For me if I were to explain I'm a story buff.  I'm the type to try and analyze a movie or sonic game to a t. It's fun to have knowledge and knowledge is power!

What does that have to do with caring about whether or not certain experiences within a game gets spoiled in a trailer?

If you can't understand how I explained it I can't help you. As I said for some they don't feel like spoilers

Nothing feels like spoilers. But everything in a trailer is a spoiler by default...

But if they just showed sonic by a flaming city saying "coming 2017" it would not be spoiling anything now would it?

It tells you the tone of the game...which depending on when it happens can be a spoiler.

Anybody else hoping the game has much better rendering by launch?

It's a bit of an urking thing for me to see trees along your path looking crisp and realistic while those in the background look like assets thrown in from several Generations ago...

Get it? Generations? Har.

But yeah, the objects in the background look abysmal in the Modern stage, they've got to be able to make things look better than that. The budget might be shrinking, but the quality of what's around you can't have fallen THAT low this quickly, especially with how much they likely saved with the, lets face it, barren Lost World full of blurry backgrounds and random shapes around you.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

The budget might be shrinking,

Has little to nothing to do with budget. SonicTeam likely want Sonic Forces to run at 60 FPS and for the PS4/Xbone/PC version to not look extremely different from the Nintendo version. Meaning they gotta cut corners somewhere. And the fact of the matter is hardly anybody but nitpicky fans will notice the background being a lower render... Or even care when they do.

• Thumbs Up 3