Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

This series always returns to the status quo. It's going to happen whether fans would like it or not.

My issue is why bother going with a concept like Forces if you're not willing to commit wholeheartedly to it and actually give it some spanning depth?

1 minute ago, Josh said:

Sonic games have had more unsatisfying endings than that and nobody really cared then.

Then is one thing, now is another, and now consumers are (seemingly) more unforgiving than ever with the franchise.

2 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Because cheap, surface level appeal is all the series has bothered with for a long time now.

...Is it strange a year ago I hated almost every word you muttered and now I can't help but relate to and feel vindicated by so many things you post...?

...Man.

Edit

Holy SH@$ look at how people are praising that Green Hill music in Forces over on YouTube...

8 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

The only thing to concern over is how they've said something along the lines of how the reveal trailer doesn't really represent the game more than it's just something to drag attention.

I wish they'd stop trying to reassure people the game isn't what it looks like. That's bullsh@$ of the highest degree. Why be afraid of your own d@$n product? That doesn't do anything but tell consumers your lacking as much confidence as possible.

Didn't this stem from a misinterpretation of a translated tweet or something?  They were simply saying the footage in the trailer wasn't in the game - i.e. it was an animation made specifically for the teaser trailer - just like the very first trailer for Generations (I mean... that was in the game but only as the movie that played if you waited on the title screen, it wasn't part of the actual GAME game).

3 minutes ago, JezMM said:

Didn't this stem from a misinterpretation of a translated tweet or something?  They were simply saying the footage in the trailer wasn't in the game - i.e. it was an animation made specifically for the teaser trailer - just like the very first trailer for Generations (I mean... that was in the game but only as the movie that played if you waited on the title screen, it wasn't part of the actual GAME game).

So what? They're going to open a game about the apocalypse with a random romp through Green Hill and landing on some blue sky rooftop instead when the game launches pulling some positive reinforcement poses before the third whatever drops in with a happy go lucky smile?

...I better not jinx that.

1 hour ago, Chris Knopps said:

So what? They're going to open a game about the apocalypse with a random romp through Green Hill and landing on some blue sky rooftop instead when the game launches pulling some positive reinforcement poses before the third whatever drops in with a happy go lucky smile?

A little CGI montage never hurt anybody. It shouldn't matter if the Green Hill Zone makes an appearance in the intro or not. That whole sequence exists to build a little hype before the game starts and is usually skippable anyway. You know, like a somewhat darker version of Sonic Heroes' intro.

17 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Sonic's CGI intros usually represents the whole game, not just a part of them

Only if you're lucky. A CGI intro can say as little or as much about a Sonic game as Sega wants without affecting the rest of the experience.

I mean, this is Sonic Adventure 2's original intro on the Dreamcast:

That doesn't tell you anything about the game, besides the fact that it's a sequel to Sonic Adventure. It's no wonder that Sonic Team went and made a whole new intro for Sonic Adventure 2: Battle.

Really? Black Knight? You think that tone was good? Well, opinions... Unleashed was great, tho', better than Adventure even (it might be because of the embarrassing animation and voice acting, but still, it was 1999).

1998 actually [emoji14]

If Adventure was remade today with good voice acting and animation, I think it could be the best Sonic story to date. Fix some dated moments, remove some of the unnecessary parts (Like 90% Big's story) and is all good.

They should do it, I've asked for this many times. Let's call Vicarious Visions and see if they're up to it [emoji14]

4 hours ago, Stephenb19 said:

I will never be able to find value in Forces' GHZ theme - it's terrible. Especially coming from a series in which we can usually say "Oh well, at least the music was good" - I can take the hit though (considering I couldn't care less about that particular Zone anyway) AS LONG as there are no other such ear-torturing tracks on the soundtrack.

Pretty sure they said all of Classic's stages would be done in the same style. I'm actually pretty surprised the whole dying cats thing is back considering the majority of people fucking hated that shit in 4. Then again it's the kind of tone deafness I'd expect from Sonic Team.

I have been thinking lately that perhaps Green Hill is the only throwback level in the game; rather than a straight retread of Generations's ideas, it becomes instead a direct callback to the way Generations opened before moving Classic Sonic into the proper Forces storyline.  This theory would imply that Green Hill Zone is radically different in style to the rest of the game.  It's difficult to make that call without knowing more about the game's structure, though, and the sand and Forces-style Badniks very much imply it's closely-integrated with the rest of the story rather than being detached.  Add that to the fact that Sonic Team's decisions won't necessarily make sense...

53 minutes ago, JezMM said:

It's a bit choose your own adventure regarding this one.  Either tweet 1 is more true and in tweet 2, "levels", the plural, was a typo since Ohtani's english isn't strong, OR tweet 2 is more true and tweet 1 just meant in terms of melody/mood or the PARTICULAR synths used.

I'm banking on the latter of the two options here. Regardless, I'm still confused how anyone can find the Green Hill track he made for Forces appealing at all. I actually enjoy Splash Hill Zone's music more than I did Force's Green Hill Zone... that's got to be saying something. :/

The melody is fine, but the instruments just fucking suck.

2 hours ago, McGroose said:

I'm banking on the latter of the two options here. Regardless, I'm still confused how anyone can find the Green Hill track he made for Forces appealing at all. I actually enjoy Splash Hill Zone's music more than I did Force's Green Hill Zone... that's got to be saying something. :/

The melody is fine, but the instruments just fucking suck.

Folks all over YouTube are heralding it like I said so don't expect SEGA to do the smart thing and tell ST to improve/change it.

7 hours ago, JezMM said:

It's a bit choose your own adventure regarding this one.  Either tweet 1 is more true and in tweet 2, "levels", the plural, was a typo since Ohtani's english isn't strong, OR tweet 2 is more true and tweet 1 just meant in terms of melody/mood or the PARTICULAR synths used.

Guess I never saw that first tweet, just the second. It does seem like it could be either one, so hopefully the music for Classic's stages shape up to be much better.

If this is a time travel story in the vein of Sonic going to the past before anything happened, it'll be really fun to point out all the pardoxes and holes, that'll give us something to talk about definitely when the game is out.