Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

56 minutes ago, Depression Kong said:

The internet will probably be in absolute ruins by the time today is over.

To Sega and Sonic Team: "We who are about to die, salute you!"

591ad3dee057a_GladiatorSalute.thumb.jpg.f3f31eb816f159995415b1bf9924b94f.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

11 hours ago, Joseph Mello said:

Sonic Forces- We can't give up by NinjaHaku21

I don't know you guys but I want to see something like this in the game.

This is EXACTLY how I pictured a perfect version of this game will look...its a bit too bad it very well might NOT look like this...

EDIT: Welp...we got first OFFICIAL evidence of a character creator...

I'm just gonna lay this up front...I don't think anyone wants one, especially when you consider how horrible not bubsy looks in the reveal!

I mean it could be cool...but the ramnifications of it are simply too strong to justify. I don't see how well the character could be fleshed out if he only gets 1/3rd of the game to himself.

"Oh but it worked with SA2 with Shadow!"

Yes...yes it did. But even hardcore fans can't deny there were minor ramnifications with that, shoehorning him in levels, certain plot details not being explained perfectly ect.

Nevermind what they did to him in his own game "Shedew of the Egdehog".

...I only see this not bubsy/character creator character being handled worse than that. The entire tease we got would have to be retconned further to change my mind honestly.

The suspense is killing me to be honest...what the crap is sega trying to pull this time!? :o

Edited by Kiah
Unnecessary insult removed

2 hours ago, Alienrun said:

EDIT: Welp...we got first OFFICIAL evidence of a character creator...

I'm just gonna lay this up front...I don't think anyone wants one, especially when you consider how horrible not bubsy looks in the reveal!

I mean it could be cool...but the ramnifications of it are simply too strong to justify. I don't see how well the character could be fleshed out if he only gets 1/3rd of the game to himself.

I intend to save more detail posts for tomorrow, in the event that the character creator is revealed. Even so, this whole fear about the character creator is completely overblown. The Sonic fanbase has been creating its own OCs for decades, perhaps ever since the Sonic Franchise began. A character creator is just a way for people to express that creative interest in a more official capacity. Besides, it could well be a significant sales boost to Sonic Forces, if the success of Dragon Ball Xenoverse and its character creator system are anything to go by.

So then perhaps it's time to stop treating OC Sonic fans like lepers and welcome them back into the fanbase. After a character creator becomes official they'll be denying the prominence of OCs ever again.

1 minute ago, Kintor said:

I intend to save more detail posts for tomorrow, in the event that the character creator is revealed. Even so, this whole fear about the character creator is completely overblown. The Sonic fanbase has been creating its own OCs for decades, perhaps ever since the Sonic Franchise began. A character creator is just a way for people to express that creative interest in a more official capacity. Besides, it could well be a significant sales boost to Sonic Forces, if the success of Dragon Ball Xenoverse and its character creator system are anything to go by.

So then perhaps it's time to stop treating OC Sonic fans like lepers and welcome them back into the fanbase. After a character creator becomes official they'll be denying the prominence of OCs ever again.

See honestly, as much as I LOVED making my own character in DBZ Xenoverse...I have to admit they barely got away with it.

They managed to make the idea of a MMO like DBZ game (ephasis on like) very seemless and natural...and I think it has a lot to do with the fact that the whole idea of the game was based on that premise...that you would change DBZ history yourself and create new storylines and go on your own adventure.

Now granted this wasn't handeld perfectly, as I saw many people say "Xenoverse was only relevant for 3 weeks lol" but the premise was still there and it was strong, hardcore fans still liked it, and those first 3 weeks were a special experience for most people.

...Sadly the same can't really be said about Forces. Not only does it look like they aren't confident in this idea, thus reducing the likely hood of them going all out with it. But honestly I wouldn't want them to attempt it unless they were going all out with it!

I'm tottaly down for an MMO like Sonic game, it could work with the proper direction and Sonic OC makers wouldn't have to go into hiding so much...the issue is realistically we are not getting that. And even worse is that if Sega half-asses it it could end up backfiring tremendously! (Just look at Sonic 06 if you don't believe me, tons of great ideas...doesn't mean anyone outside the fanbase gives a damn.)

And lastly...my final point...I'm not that big on fanservice for the sake of fanservice. People didn't really care about returning characters in Runners because there was no substance to it, same goes for boom Shadow...people wanted something more/different.

If your going to have fanservice then there needs to be a greater point to it, you can't just shoehorn it in and expect people to like it, or reach a bigger audience. (There's a reason why something like Smash Bros. actually works for instance and isn't just beloved by hardcore nintendo fans...its proof you can have your cake and eat it if you play your cards right.)

Though everything they have shown so far suggests Sega doesn't give a crap about anything I just said...

Classic Sonic, Green Hill Zone, Edgy atmosphere just because, Fan character, new "twists" that can't possibly be anything good/natural/anything that anyone actually wants, crappy music...I could go on.

RIP Sonic Franchise 2016...

13 minutes ago, Alienrun said:

RIP Sonic Franchise 2016...

Um... I hate to break it you but we're currently midway through the year 2017... :P

Seriously though, spare me the doom and gloom speech. Or at least save your breath (metaphorically) until after the announcement tomorrow, no point in wasting too much energy mere hours before a shift in the status quo around here regarding Sonic Forces.

I think that character has a great potential, it can cause a surge of interest in Sonic Forces and bring many new people into the Sonic fanbase over the long term.

Heck, I'm even up for that 'Sonic MMORPG' you mentioned. It's not such a crazy idea, given that Sonic Team already runs a highly successful MMORPG in the form of Phantasy Star Online 2. Who knows, a character creator in Sonic Forces might just be the first step towards getting a full Sonic MMORPG after all.

Just now, Kintor said:

Heck, I'm even up for that 'Sonic MMORPG' you mentioned. It's not such a crazy idea, given that Sonic Team already runs a highly successful MMORPG in the form of Phantasy Star Online 2. Who knows, a character creator in Sonic Forces might just be the first step towards getting a full Sonic MMORPG after all.

Nah dude, I'd LOVE to see that! I just had to get my concerns out since I've been quite about the whole "Character Creator" up until now...it seems like such a silly idea on paper but it could work you know?

Obviously its gonna spin some heads when we don't even know if that's the case, lack of clarity just means more uncertainty, and yes this will be a possible issue even after the game is out.

My main gripe is just the 3rd character doesn't look good so far...I mean if they are doing a character creator, why not use a hedgehog instead? That seems infinitely more logical! :/

Part of the reason why I wouldn't mind a Sonic MMO is so we could finally establish the structure of Sonic's world. The franchise has been arguing with itself over whether it wants to use realistic human-inhabited cities or poorly-rendered checkerboard hills for almost 20 years at this point.

1 hour ago, Depression Kong said:

Part of the reason why I wouldn't mind a Sonic MMO is so we could finally establish the structure of Sonic's world. The franchise has been arguing with itself over whether it wants to use realistic human-inhabited cities or poorly-rendered checkerboard hills for almost 20 years at this point.

I think Forces is already finally making it clear that it has both.

• Thumbs Up 9

Yep, it's a robot attacking Not-Green-Hill alright.

Probably the moment Classic Sonic got sucked into.... THE FUTURE! Cutscene is my bet, not gameplay.

Oh boy, I'm so ready. SO. READY. C'MON SSMB, LET'S HIT ONE THOUSAND PAGES!

• Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

They've had over 25 years to define Sonic's world and they've consistently ignored, forgotten about, or contradicted everything that they've laid down previously. An MMO wouldn't do anything to solidify things, they'd ditch its world as fast as they have every other.

That's what I'm concerned about with Forces since I want it to set up a new continuity with each game continuing off from the last, this way we can watch Sonic and co. save/free/restore the world in a well thought out, naturally flowing process with some intense depth and detail.

Eggman supposedly rules the entire planet, it's just not plausible for all that damage and all that control to vanish in the span of a single title. At the end perhaps Classic can return to the past to repair things in his timeline or something, but to completely abandon the concepts and potentials that Forces will set up by telling players they did everything in one game and the next title will be totally irrelevant to the events...

I just don't want to see that. It would hurt way too much. Especially if the next title is another Colors or Lost World to apologize to consumers for being serious in Forces.

I don't want anymore apologetic titles lightening things up and ruining the franchise and what/who the characters are in the process. I have said it before, if we can get games like Sonic CD and the Adventure titles and it fit/work out fine, there's no need to be afraid of dark/serious directions. Two mistakes, Shadow and 06, and they've spent the past ten years ruining everything by trying to tell people how sorry they are and pushing as many hyucks and gags in every title they could muster.

Just now, Chris Knopps said:

Eggman supposedly rules the entire planet, it's just not plausible for all that damage and all that control to vanish in the span of a single title.

It is when time travel is involved.

We all know it's going to happen. Every game in the series resets things to the status quo by the end.

• Thumbs Up 4

Sonic 4 tried to set up a continuing storyline and got cut short due to the game not being well-recieved.  I certainly don't want to see that happen on a big budget story-focused game like Forces.  I'm all for the next title building on whatever lore Forces adds, but Forces shouldn't do anything that DEPENDS on a follow-up.  It should be self-contained.

• Thumbs Up 5

Well there goes any remaining interest I had in the game. They have so many other characters that they've neglected for so many years that they could have used instead. 

• Thumbs Up 2