Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

Quote from the Destructoid article.

Back in October, before Sonic Forces was even named, Sega said that this game would have three different gameplay styles. They were: modern Sonic, classic Sonic, and a third unrevealed style. This is the third one, a mode that's separate from what Sonic does on his own time.

Looks like the custom character's story is seperate from Sonic's.

• Thumbs Up 7

On 2016-7-26 at 2:26 PM, JingleBoy said:

who is this clown? Where did you find this? ?

^ 26/7/2016 ^

Life really comes at you fast... ?

Just now, JezMM said:

The art team and the game design team are entirely seperate things.

Yeah, fair point.

Anyway I can't wrap my mind around the conversation that must have happened within the game design team.

"Oh wow the last 2 games in the serie bombed hard, what do we do about it?"

"Uhm maybe we should see what worked in our last efforts and what didn't and build a game with that in mind?"

"Nah let's just make a Generations 2, now that will sell like hotcakes."

"Oh but how do you make it new, or better, should we expand on the level design? Should we be more careful about physics this time?"

"Put a custom character in it, fans will love it."

Regarding "they could have used the existing cast for this" could they though?  Y'all would've gotten mad about them not having their trademark abilities I'm sure.

• Thumbs Up 4

If its a seperate mode thats cool, wouldnt mind either way... dont know if i like this but it should be fine

Just now, JezMM said:

Regarding "they could have used the existing cast for this" could they though?  Y'all would've gotten mad about them not having their trademark abilities I'm sure.

They could have used other characters rather than Classic Sonic and Original Character Do Not Steal, but you have a valid point. Custom characters is the point of Forces. And it looks like they take centre stage in a sort of subset mission mode, while Sonic and Sonic handle the main sections. It's an interesting choice. 

Well. I use characters editors all the time in the WWE games. It's fun!

The Trailer looks rather good!

... and I could try to build Bunnie Rabbot... ;)

• Thumbs Up 7

Screen_Shot_2017_05_16_at_10.47.04_AM.png

SO the grappling mechanism also seems to have multiple functions, such as a flamethrower. Perhaps tying in with the concept of "wispons"?

5 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

There's a very limited number of species. I wish they didn't use any animals that already exist - just as a way of keeping things separate. Tigers instead of cats, Wolf instead of foxes (they did this) and no hedgehogs at all. Also, "Bird"? The series already has a hawk, swallow and albatross so the overarching "bird" species seems a little off. "Sonic the Mammal".

You don't see the bigger picture here. A small number of species right now but with infinite potential for more DLC options later. If this character creator become a crazy hit then Sonic Forces could easily become the most lucrative Sonic game in Sega's history.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Kintor said:

You don't see the bigger picture here. A small number of species right now but with infinite potential for more DLC options later. If this character creator become a crazy hit then Sonic Forces could easily become the most lucrative Sonic game in Sega's history.

So wait for sonic forces 2 then?

Where you can augment your species with other stuff 

Like " black arms blood" or " mystical echidina bullshit" 

• Thumbs Up 1

The created characters look a lot like the stock fan characters we've seen for years, which is expected I guess. It's not as horrible as I was expecting, but the gameplay in that trailer looked pretty jank all around. 

I dunno. The trailer just left me with a weird feeling. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Uh...props for coming up with some new gameplay concepts, I guess?  Still don't like this. It looks like every generic deviantart Sonic OC, without the potential to make something hilariously terrible. 

I'm struggling to think of what to say. I dislike character creators in general, and while this one doesn't look bad, I don't think it's something that really belongs in a Sonic game. 

I would say something about people complaining about the character creator but I don't-*ahem* I mean WE don't even know if using a custom character is even mandatory so I'll hold my breath.

Just now, Solly said:

Uh...props for coming up with some new gameplay concepts, I guess?  Still don't like this. It looks like every generic deviantart Sonic OC, without the potential to make something hilariously terrible. 

I'm glad we have fans that want terrible stuff in Sonic games. God bless you sir.

1 minute ago, Shadowlax said:

Like " black arms blood" or " mystical echidina bullshit" 

Echyd'nyas maybe? :D

• Thumbs Up 7

2 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

Just like all that Generations DLC that came out for years..........right?

Hey, more character DLC is a different concept to whole new levels. I assume it's going easier to intergrate into the main game.

• Thumbs Up 1