Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

I am mostly hyped, but the character designs shown in the trailer do look a bit derpy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Worth mentioning about the music (props to @JezMM for making me realise this):

I'm reckoning Runblebee might be back in some form (Riders ZG). Not singing, but it does sound kinda like his work on PS Portable. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Press Release 

Sonic Forces™ Introduces New, Third Gameplay Style

Burbank, California — May 16, 2017 —Today, SEGA® revealed the third gameplay style in Sonic Forces is a powerful gadget touting customizable character. For the first time in the Sonic series, players can create their own original Hero Character, and customize how the character plays and how it looks. This newly revealed playstyle in Sonic Forces is in addition to the previously revealed fast-paced action of Modern Sonic and the thrilling platforming of Classic Sonic.

In this just announced gameplay style, players will be equipping their custom Hero Character with one of a variety of powerful unique gadgets called WisponsWisponsare an evolution of the Color Powers fromSonic Colors and double as both offensive abilities and as a way to platform through levels quickly. Along with the Wispon, the Hero Character will have a grappling hook they can utilize to quickly traverse across zones. Players can also customize the Hero Character’s looks by choosing and swapping between hundreds of accessories and outfit options to change the character’s appearance as they play through the game.

There are seven base animal types that players can select from, each with varying special abilities:

• Wolf – Automatically draws in rings when near them
  • Rabbit - Has longer invincible time after receiving damage
  • Cat - Keeps one ring after being hit
  • Dog - Restarts with five rings after the player dies
  • Bear – Blows away enemies with a homing attack
  • Bird - Flies high with double jump abilities
  • Hedgehog - Collects rings when getting damaged

No matter what Hero the player chooses to create, it will be featured throughout the entire game. In a first for the Sonic franchise, a character the player creates will be a key part of the story, appearing not only in cut scenes, but by being a crucial element in helping Sonic reclaim the world from Eggman’s domination.

Sonic Forces will be available for Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, & PC this Holiday. Join the Uprising to take back the world from Dr. Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'd say it has potential like any 'editor' option. It depends on the same thing, and that's if they offer enough variety in options.

Is it just a few generic tweaks of the normal Sonic template?

Can we make existing Sonic characters playable again through these templates?

Can we make even alternate media characters like Archie and Boom through these templates?

There's so many damn things they can do with this option, it just depends how much time and investment they put into it.

• Thumbs Up 3

11 minutes ago, JezMM said:

Regarding "they could have used the existing cast for this" could they though?  Y'all would've gotten mad about them not having their trademark abilities I'm sure.

I would have prefered that over this, at least it would show that they were actually trying to actually use the cast. Fucking Rise of Lyric at least had the decency of trying to use the existing cast. It's been 8 years since Black Knight, now this is just getting ridiculous.

These morons clearly don't know what they're doing and are just throwing shit around hoping it sticks, or just plain don't care. Most likely both.

4 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Press Release 

Sonic Forces™ Introduces New, Third Gameplay Style

Burbank, California — May 16, 2017 —Today, SEGA® revealed the third gameplay style in Sonic Forces is a powerful gadget touting customizable character. For the first time in the Sonic series, players can create their own original Hero Character, and customize how the character plays and how it looks. This newly revealed playstyle in Sonic Forces is in addition to the previously revealed fast-paced action of Modern Sonic and the thrilling platforming of Classic Sonic.

In this just announced gameplay style, players will be equipping their custom Hero Character with one of a variety of powerful unique gadgets called WisponsWisponsare an evolution of the Color Powers fromSonic Colors and double as both offensive abilities and as a way to platform through levels quickly. Along with the Wispon, the Hero Character will have a grappling hook they can utilize to quickly traverse across zones. Players can also customize the Hero Character’s looks by choosing and swapping between hundreds of accessories and outfit options to change the character’s appearance as they play through the game.

There are seven base animal types that players can select from, each with varying special abilities:

• Wolf – Automatically draws in rings when near them
  • Rabbit - Has longer invincible time after receiving damage
  • Cat - Keeps one ring after being hit
  • Dog - Restarts with five rings after the player dies
  • Bear – Blows away enemies with a homing attack
  • Bird - Flies high with double jump abilities
  • Hedgehog - Collects rings when getting damaged

No matter what Hero the player chooses to create, it will be featured throughout the entire game. In a first for the Sonic franchise, a character the player creates will be a key part of the story, appearing not only in cut scenes, but by being a crucial element in helping Sonic reclaim the world from Eggman’s domination.

Sonic Forces will be available for Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, & PC this Holiday. Join the Uprising to take back the world from Dr. Eggman.

Ick. Making them a party of the story is so the shittiest part. 

That's the options? Ehh, a bit disappointing. Hope they expand. I want them to try all sorts to take advantage of this.

And come on, how could they NOT make echidna an option?

Suppose we might be able to make Shadow, Silver, Blaze and Lupe if they're intricate enough with this.

Just now, E-122-Psi said:

That's the options? Ehh, a bit disappointing. Hope they expand. I want them to try all sorts to take advantage of this.

And come on, how could they NOT make echidna an option?

Penders has won the war

• Thumbs Up 6

I hope you can change the ears of the rabbit. I want ears that stick straight up, not Cream's floppy ears.

Also, it'd be nice if Aaron should off the editor in a stream in the near future.

• Thumbs Up 1

The special abilities each character has are so worthless that they're not even worth acknowledging when I'm making my character. I'll probably just make another Hedgehog and name him "Shittier Sonic". Glad to see we replaced another opportunity to play as either Tails or Knuckles to play with Blails and Blonic instead.

The level design looks bland as well, yippee. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Because of the general ridicule that Sonic the Hedgehog OCs get, it doesn't seem appropriate to have a character creator in a game that seems like it's trying to go the serious route. It might not help the game's reputation.

Now that I take another look, the character designs look a bit weird. Instead of the "anime-like" style that most Sonic characters have, the options we've seen in the trailer look a lot like something from the Sonic Boom cartoon.

• Thumbs Up 6

STOP...STOP EVERYTHING!!!!

I HAVE...SO...MANY...MIXED FEELINGS RIGHT NOW!

You put OCs in...I was SO convinced that that was BS...my gosh I did not expect this! WHY!@!@

On the other hand they put grappling hooks in...a feature I wanted them to put in for YEARS! (then again it was in boom, but it sucked there)

And the music...gosh, its so try hard and I can't tell if its a good thing or not!

RIP Sonic fanbase 2006! :(

4 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Ick. Making them a party of the story is so the shittiest part. 

Wow that was part of the press release too? 

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Jango said:

If the OHC will appear in cutscenes, it means no pre-rendered cinematics? :(

Possibly, but I'm fine with this.  They're super pretty and all but ultimately just movies you sit and watch, and the change in visual fidelity makes the overall experience less unified.

• Thumbs Up 6

Just now, Detective Kaito said:

Now that I take another look, the character designs look a bit weird. Instead of the "anime-like" style that most Sonic characters have, the options we've seen in the trailer look a lot like something from the Sonic Boom cartoon.

Look out, world, Wild Cat is comin' at ya.

• Thumbs Up 8

3 minutes ago, Eevee of the Everstone said:

Hey! I've waited years for a Create a Character mode in a Sonic game, I'm not going to let you lot drag my hype down!

Then... do that? But we're allowed to have different opinions, my guy.

Just now, BubbleButt TV said:

Wow that was part of the press release too? 

Yep. Defo. Wasn't down to the mobile board being lame a messing up the quote box. Lol 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well...

Didn't want it, saw the designs and gear... little more open to it.

Again, all depends on how it's done.

Ooooooooooh boy this is going to be one HELL of a ride.

1 minute ago, Blue Blood said:

Be as hype as you like. Don't rag on everyone else for voicing their distaste for something that they've been dreading for years.

Years? It hasn't been that long since people learned about the concept being in the game.

• Thumbs Up 2

In this just announced gameplay style, players will be equipping their custom Hero Character with one of a variety of powerful unique gadgets called WisponsWisponsare an evolution of the Color Powers fromSonic Colors and double as both offensive abilities and as a way to platform through levels quickly.

The OC weaponized the wisps.

...So uh am I the only one thinking that's kinda fucked up? Let's take this peaceful species and turn them into Alien Bioweapons?

Heck why not throw in some Xenomorphs too, SEGA owns that IP too.

• Thumbs Up 5

Sonic Forces was already spread so thin that this supremely silly idea is actually the only spark of passion I sense from this project and the only thing that makes me vaguely interested in whatever they're trying to go for.

• Thumbs Up 8

The grappling hook is a cool feature, it's a shame they don't understand that the most important feeling in a Sonic game is flow, so even the grappling hook, that should work WITH the flow of the game, stops you to a halt before you can actually hook it.

Great job guys, you really understand why Sonic's fun. 

How did these guys get Generations so right puzzles me.

• Thumbs Up 7

1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

Years? It hasn't been that long since people learned about the concept being in the game.

Years. People have always been talking about why they don't want a character creator to appear in a future title. It's always been one of those "surely they won't actually do it... right?" things. So yes, it really has been years that people have been actively not wanting this to be a thing. 

• Thumbs Up 5