Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

1 minute ago, Nepenthe said:

This implies that the OCs don't exist at all and that the Sonics are interacting with thin air, which is even dumber than a character creator in the first place.

The way I'm seeing this is that Forces is a "customizable canon" or a "canon just for you" game. As in Sonic did interact with a guy to help him with the resistance, and whatever the buddy will do in the story (dying or something important like that) did happen but how he looks and how he plays is just subjective to the player. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Welp, only a matter of time before everyone on the internet and their mother starts making fun of the game by saying stuff like "dEViaNtARt: ThE GaME!!"...

Somehow I knew you guys were gonna be right...

• Thumbs Up 1

I mean I'll give it it looks better than I expected....but that's not bringing my general interest in the title that much higher. Still in general feeling eh on this, and like it doesn't know what it wants to be

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm entirely conflicted on this.

Part of me is like, was this necessary? This kind of feels like a gimmick to me. Something new for the sake of having something new. What if I don't want to make my own Sonic OC and just, I don't know, want to play with Sonic like the (really fucking short) previous gameplays hinted at? I'm assuming that leak from a while ago was correct and we have to start the game with our OC. If that's the case, then why? We have to save the main character of the game? It wouldn't bother me much if the game was a spin-off, but it irks me a little bit. 

The grapple hook looks... Cool I guess. Reminds me of Attack on Titan or coughmyprofilepiccough so I don't mind that, looks fine. I guess that gameplay mechanic is exclusive to the OC, while Modern Sonic has the boost and Classic Sonic has fuckIknow. 

I don't know how to feel. 

If it's obligatory to start the game with an OC, then ugh why. I don't like creating my own characters. I'm not a big fan of RPGs or those giant adventure games where you can build your own character as you see fit, it's just not something I like doing. 

If it's not obligatory, well it's something I would never use unless there's some achievements related to it, so as I will never use it then it doesn't harm me. 

I think of Classic Sonic wasn't in this and just Modern Sonic and custom character it wouldn't have been as bad. I feel like Sonic Forces is trying WAY too much right now and it might end up being a mess of gameplay styles. Not to mention the stage design still doesn't blow me away.

OT: wait...Azoo is leaving?? Nooooo D:

What's weird to me is they are designing these OC stages more like mini-game segments than actual stages.

3 minutes ago, Ratcicle King said:

Sonic going insane from the stress of fighting an unwinnable fight against Eggman and seeing an imaginary character who's helping him and replacing Tails, to cope with his leaving and the fact he has no one else to talk to other than his mute past self and aliens who's language he can't understand is honestly a much more interesting plot than whatever we've seen so far.

But we haven't seen anything from the actual story yet...just 2 levels from game-play.

• Thumbs Up 2

At least they realized everyone was going to make their character look fucking stupid and designed the one in the trailer around that.

I don't understand this confusion at how it plays though, if you lose the custom actions it's literally Colors Sonic with no boost.

• Thumbs Up 5

4 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

But we haven't seen anything from the actual story yet...just 2 levels from game-play.

He's not saying this is going to be in the game...? It's just a fun scenario to think about is all 

• Thumbs Up 1

I took some time to compile most of the character creation options

https://ibb.co/g9mrfk

Things of note? Chao backpacks! Bouncer heads! Sonic-like shoes! A cute bow that I am totally putting on my buddy!

• Thumbs Up 8

Imagine if Forces goes the Skylanders Imaginators route and lets you 3D print your custom characters.

9 minutes ago, MudHunter said:

The way I'm seeing this is that Forces is a "customizable canon" or a "canon just for you" game. As in Sonic did interact with a guy to help him with the resistance, and whatever the buddy will do in the story (dying or something important like that) did happen but how he looks and how he plays is just subjective to the player. 

That means the OC is canon in some form them, as in, they actually exist in the storyline. Just like Link does in games where you can rename him regardless.

Which only further raises the question of why established cast members are nowhere to be seen.

2 minutes ago, KHCast said:

He's not saying this is going to be in the game...? It's just a fun scenario to think about is all 

He's saying that scenario he made up is better than what we've seen, but nothing else story related has been revealed. So there's no comparison.

I just want to know who thought this was a good idea.

Ahhhh man. This is just depressing. Don't really care how 'cool' or 'fun' this could end up being. It seems that nobody really knows what to do with this franchise.

Sega have got exactly one thing right in the past decade and that is quality control. Aside from boom, no recent Sonic Games have been borderline unplayable programming messes. However in the process they've forgotten what the franchise is.

There is no identity left.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 8

Has anyone been able to find a news site out there which isn't taking the piss out of this news? 

• Thumbs Up 5

3 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Has anyone been able to find a news site out there which isn't taking the piss out of this news? 

Not sure what you mean, really. 

Just now, Operationgamer17 said:

Not sure what you mean, really. 

Anyone reporting this that doesn't think or doesn't imply that the idea is really stupid.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Good luck. There isn't a site out there that will be able to resist spinning this as "LOLOLOLOLOL SEGA HAS OC IN SONIC NOW XDDDDDDDD."

Gotta keep that 'Sonic sucks' narrative going.

• Thumbs Up 7

I dunno, I prefer the emphasis of the OCs here over the Sonic company, in the context of Forces.

It helps provide that message of "Sonic and the others won't be around forever, so who's going to take up the mantle in the future?" kind of thing.

Having a wholly unique character would be suited for that, granted, but OCs still help carry that message better than "Amy got off the couch since Sonic went AWOL."

• Thumbs Up 4

Like some people said before in this thread, they don't know what the hell they're doing, who the hell is this game even trying to appeal to exactly?

Why can't we just get a focused 3D Sonic game that picks a fucking direction and sticks with it that tries to appeal to 3D Sonic fans.

I guess since now Tax and Stealth got the classic stuff covered, we're gonna have to wait till SEGA hires the creators of Sonic Utopia and Green Hill Paradise to make a proper 3D Sonic game that actually knows what the fuck it wants to be.

Sonic Team clearly can't make that.

• Thumbs Up 8