Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

4 minutes ago, TheLaw34 said:

Without seieng any gameplay we know nothing. We have not seen generations gameplay, we have seen a cutscene. We don't know what features this game will add or remove or how different it will be.

Well the concept trailer showed Modern Sonic and Classic Sonic. It showed boosting through enemies. It showed quick-stepping out of the way of obstacles. It's made by the same people who made Colors and Generations.

The evidence suggests that it will be a spiritual successor to Generations.

And I'm delighted with that.

1 minute ago, Mel said:

It showed quick-stepping out of the way

Not quick stepping, more like jumping diagonally or someone barely jumping out of the way of a projectile, but not quick steps

14 minutes ago, Mel said:

To be fair, this looks like much more a sequel to Sonic Generations than Shadow was to Heroes and Black Knight was to Secret Rings. Shadow didn't have Heroes signature team mechanic and Black Knight added sword gameplay, and whilst playing similarly, this massively changed the concept.

This looks like it is Generations but without the reimagined stages. It looks like it literally is Generations 2, just without the remake stages. And like I said, this is probably the reason why Iizuka stressed it wasn't a sequel. He doesn't want people to get the wrong idea and think it will remake levels from past games.

Also, hate to be be the guy, but Sonic 2006 is basically Sonic Adventure 3. It doesn't run on the same engine, but the gameplay concept and general story and presentation is very, very similar to Adventure. It's actually more like Adventure than Shadow is like Heroes and Black Knight is like Secret Rings. It's just that the Adventure games were fun and Sonic 2006 was horrible. 

I think you might've misunderstood what I was saying coz we're in partial agreement here.  What I'm saying basically is I don't think "not Sonic Generations 2" means a totally new experience, I'm expecting it to play in a similar manner to Generations 1 and if there are any new twists, they will likely be the difference between Heroes and Shadow, Rush and Colours DS etc.  Notable but still feel familiar to play.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, FlareSakithaSol said:

Not quick stepping, more like jumping diagonally or someone barely jumping out of the way of a projectile, but not quick steps

It's quick-stepping, just with visual flair for an exciting trailer.

3 minutes ago, JezMM said:

I think you might've misunderstood what I was saying coz we're in partial agreement here.  What I'm saying basically is I don't think "not Sonic Generations 2" means a totally new experience, I'm expecting it to play in a similar manner to Generations 1 and if there are any new twists, they will likely be the difference between Heroes and Shadow, Rush and Colours DS etc.  Notable but still feel familiar to play.

Oh I do agree with you, just was being a pedantic pain :P 

Just now, FlareSakithaSol said:

Sonic was quick-stepping 2-3 times before obstacles blocked the whole road and he had to jump...and get saved.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Sonic was quick-stepping 2-3 times before obstacles blocked the whole road and he had to jump...and get saved.

Thought they were jumps, thanks

19 minutes ago, Mel said:

Well the concept trailer showed Modern Sonic and Classic Sonic. It showed boosting through enemies. It showed quick-stepping out of the way of obstacles, It's made by the same people who made Colors and Generations.

The evidence suggests that it will be a spiritual successor to Generations.

And I'm delighted with that.

Having moves from generations and color and having gameplay from generations and colors are totally different things. Things like level design, controls, the way the abilities actually interact with the world seem much more relevant to whether or not it's a whole new experience and anything that is even close to resembling a generations 2. At this point it could play like sonic adventure for all we know.

Those are things we can't judge without gameplay and whether or not it has the same moes means little until we see it. Additionally we don't know what new features could be in this.

Just now, TheLaw34 said:

Having moves from generations and color and having gameplay from generations and colors are totally different things. Things like level design, controls, the way the abilities actually interact with the world seem much more relevant to whether or not it's a whole new experience and anything that is even close to resembling a generations 2. At this point it could play like sonic adventure for all we know.

Those are things we can't judge without gameplay and whether or not it has the same moes means little until we see it. Additionally we don't know what new features could be in this.

Look, we can't say with absolute certainty that this will be Generations, but all the evidence so far from the conceptual trailer points to the gameplay being like Generations.

15 minutes ago, JingleBoy said:

So @therealmaddnsk on twitter has found out that the city in this trailer is actually Amsterdam! The blue, red and yellow buildings probably have no significance to game whatsoever!

Pics in the spoiler tag:

Reveal hidden contents

CoZef5xVUAEYsjb.jpgCoZehE-VUAEsfE3.jpg

CoZfCkRUsAI94-1.jpg

Spoiler

If it is Amsterdam, I'm glad I was wrong about Spagonia and likely old levels returning.

• Thumbs Up 4

The colored blocks look too saturated to be just a coincidence. There are buildings with same colors but they blend into the environment while those three pieces look almost edited... like we are supposed to notice them.

Also the blue one is exactly the same hue as Sonic in this trailer.

• Thumbs Up 2

It could have just been a cute little animator detail, but the blue, red, and yellow was definitely intentional if you ask me. 

when  something happens in an animation, odds are it was intentional. the question is, was the intent meaningful? (especially as it relates to the context of our speculation).

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, at first, I was surprised to see Classic Sonic come back, but then I wasn't.  It's a very predictable and safe move for Sonic Team.  I'm not expecting much, especially when you've got something like Sonic Mania coming down the line about a whole year earlier that is nearly guaranteed to be a fantastic experience, but Sonic Team's surprised me before.

Er, well, maybe that isn't a good thing.

As for my prediction:  This is going to be Generations 2: Original Levels and """Darker""" Story Edition.

6 hours ago, JingleBoy said:

So @therealmaddnsk & @TwighlightZoney on twitter have pointed out that the city in this trailer is actually based on Amsterdam! The blue, red and yellow colored buildings probably have no significance to the actual gameplay whatsoever!

Pics in the spoiler tag:

Reveal hidden contents

CoZef5xVUAEYsjb.jpgCoZehE-VUAEsfE3.jpg

CoZfCkRUsAI94-1.jpg

Just for comparison's sake:

Project-Sonic-2017-300x170.jpg                   CoZef5xVUAEYsjb.jpg

Well some people think it not based on Amsterdam, but really i cant find any other cities to be similar to what was shown in project 17 teaser. If anyone could prove me wrong and find another city with this architecture i would really appreciate it. Cause all i want is to know what this city might be.

7 hours ago, JingleBoy said:

So @therealmaddnsk & @TwighlightZoney on twitter have pointed out that the city in this trailer is actually based on Amsterdam! The blue, red and yellow colored buildings probably have no significance to the actual gameplay whatsoever!

Even if it is based on amsterdam it doesn't make the colors any more or less likely to be a nod to tails and knuckles any city has building with different colors. I'm not saying it's anything but one animator making a color choice for the fun of it but it being in amsterdam changes nothing.

I look at this game, and all I can think is: this looks good...

...how are they gonna screw this up this time? Because quite frankly, my faith in Sega is at the lowest it's ever been.

I admit, though, an unrelated project did that, so maybe bitterness is still talking, but I'm telling the truth when I say I'd be more shocked if they didn't find a way to screw it up.

And even if it's good...I wouldn't trust them to not screw up thr momentum dead in its tracks.

3 minutes ago, SurrealBrain said:

...how are they gonna screw this up this time? Because quite frankly, my faith in Sega is at the lowest it's ever been.

I admit, though, an unrelated project did that, so maybe bitterness is still talking, but I'm telling the truth when I say I'd be more shocked if they didn't find a way to screw it up.

And even if it's good...I wouldn't trust them to not screw up thr momentum dead in its tracks.

I sorta agree but when I think of sega fucking it up I imagine them making an alright game instead of a great one. My gut tells me that the very worst this game will be a really safe making it bland but still fun. 

4 hours ago, SurrealBrain said:

Speaking of momentum (:P), I hope the Homing Attack carries your momentum like it does with the balloons in Rooftop Run. Jump Dash should, too.

I imagine the onus will be on Sonic Team to mame Classic Sonic feel good - especially since Mania will come out in the preceding months. Making him exactly like Generations would probably not go down well.

A small part of me hopes that the Mania crew have assisted with/given the engine to Sonic Team, allowing them to do their own thing while still making it feel good.

Modern could go any number of ways. If we're just talking about Boost style, then Sega would have to ensure that they don't overly rely on 2D sections. Improving how he controls when not Boosting would also be great.

I know this is kinda blasphemy to say, but I would be interested to see Sonic return to a more... Colors kind of gameplay. Where it wasn't just always boost to win, a lot of times you would remain boostless, thus you had to strategize around that. Going through some beautiful segments without boosting all the time was actually pretty nice and if you know the level pretty well, then you can blow through it with boost, getting it from secret pathways/rooms. I think that would be pretty cool, thats just my opinion though.

• Thumbs Up 4

Would it be a better state of affairs if the boost was a situational power intended to be used sparingly, like Tails's flight or Knuckles's climbing and gliding, rather than something you're encouraged to do near-constantly?

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Maddnsk said:

Well some people think it not based on Amsterdam, but really i cant find any other cities to be similar to what was shown in project 17 teaser. If anyone could prove me wrong and find another city with this architecture i would really appreciate it. Cause all i want is to know what this city might be.

Yeah I already noted a couple pages back that the city had a European type flair, but it's definately not Spagonia, it's closer to France cities and similar ones found in central Europe.

1 hour ago, FFWF said:

Would it be a better state of affairs if the boost was a situational power intended to be used sparingly, like Tails's flight or Knuckles's climbing and gliding, rather than something you're encouraged to do near-constantly?

Thats pretty much what I described in my post, a more smart use for the boost, not hold down X button the game. One thing I don't want it to become is... The equivalent of mach speed sections from Sonic 06. That would be kinda dumb, wouldn't it? The idea of putting just a little bit of boost here and there feels better in different ways. You would feel more freedom and less awkwardness, cause, I don't know about you, but it was awkward to see Sonic so slow through out 06 and then suddenly get the ability to run fast for no reason at all.

• Thumbs Up 3

29 minutes ago, nikfan said:

Thats pretty much what I described in my post, a more smart use for the boost, not hold down X button the game. One thing I don't want it to become is... The equivalent of mach speed sections from Sonic 06. That would be kinda dumb, wouldn't it? The idea of putting just a little bit of boost here and there feels better in different ways. You would feel more freedom and less awkwardness, cause, I don't know about you, but it was awkward to see Sonic so slow through out 06 and then suddenly get the ability to run fast for no reason at all.

I want both freedom and the pure joy of going ridiculously high speed. Not that there is any chance of this team letting go of that . I think sonic should be able to achieve boost level speeds without needing a boost and instead should just be able to reach that speed if he the player can manage to keep up their momentum without fucking up. I think boost should be an instant burst of speed for when you just get out of a bad platforming section and need a quick start, or if you need to quickly change directions.

Buuut I highly doubt that is going to happen and would put my money on it being pretty much the same as genreations.