Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

6 minutes ago, Gabz Girl said:

Oh, Pontac & Graff are back too. Quelle surprise! 8/

My expectations for this game are getting lower and lower the more I see, and that really upsets me. 

You know, when the people working on a product are generally rather universally disliked by their consumers, I suppose by now lackluster releases shouldn't be much of a surprise. Kind of an...

"You don't like us, so why will we care about you?" kind of position most working on the franchise are in.

Whitehead and his team are the entire opposite though, fairly universally beloved and thus, look at their product.

But... That's just me getting psychological.

4110889.gif

Makes you feel sorry for em'.

Especially when you go to Graff's page on Twitter and see all the backlash. Why he would even want to write for the franchise anymore is beyond me. Unless it's perhaps a masochistic thing?

It's somehow cool but still weird that you can customize a character for a Sonic game. Not sure what to think of this :-S

The more I see the game, the more I actually more optimistic about it in comparison to previous ones. I'm not really understanding all of the hate myself.

Looks like a decent game, granted not as promising for success in comparison to Mania, but think this will ultimately be a good game for me to play. As I was of the camp that did find Generations a pretty fun game.

Also, I'm curious if the new character will explore parts of levels that Modern Sonic can't explore, kind of like levels in Sonic Adventure. 

Definitely feeling better about this after seeing the gameplay isn't too drastic a departure, like Blaze in Sonic Rush.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, Fr0zenanus said:

the worst part of this is, classic fanboys, and slobbering anti-fans. are get gonna feel vindicated.

5 minutes ago, Fr0zenanus said:

they will go on about since Sonic Adventure, the series was ruined by ocs and other characters that aren't Sonic/Eggman/Tails/Knuckles (Diogenes) 

Honestly, if you're going to get this pissy and irritated about what other people are saying, you should probably just stay out of the discussion altogether. This is worthless commentary. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm hyped for it. It could turn out really bad or really good, but SEGA couldn't stay "playing it safe" forever. 

I'm excited to give this a try. Also, think of all the people that are going to be using the SHARE feature with this thing. SEGA knows what they're doing. 

• Thumbs Up 5

20 minutes ago, Scar said:

Pontac and Graff writing this game are possibly the least of the concerns.

I can see why some would be angry, but to be brutally honest, its not like they've had the creative freedom to flex their writing muscles with this franchise. They just create an English script for a game whose story is already written and that too as directed by Sonic Team to match their vision (or lack thereof) for the game.

I don't get the hate either. Yeah, the stories aren't good, but they're not working with much.

And to be honest, I find the gameplay to be a lot more concerning. 

7 minutes ago, Fr0zenanus said:

they will go on about since Sonic Adventure, the series was ruined by ocs and other characters that aren't Sonic/Eggman/Tails/Knuckles (Diogenes) 

you are obsessed with him, aren't you

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Mark1 said:

The more I see the game, the more I actually more optimistic about it in comparison to previous ones. I'm not really understanding all of the hate myself.

Looks like a decent game, granted not as promising for success in comparison to Mania, but think this will ultimately be a good game for me to play. As I was of the camp that did find Generations a pretty fun game.

Also, I'm curious if the new character will explore parts of levels that Modern Sonic can't explore, kind of like levels in Sonic Adventure. 

Definitely feeling better about this after seeing the gameplay isn't too drastic a departure, like Blaze in Sonic Rush.

I sense the franchise going in a heavily 2D direction after Forces, especially with each reveal doing this to the game.

5 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Especially when you go to Graff's page on Twitter and see all the backlash. Why he would even want to write for the franchise anymore is beyond me. Unless it's perhaps a masochistic thing?

Would you quit your job because some people were throwing shade at you on twitter even if your employer thought you were doing a good enough job to hire again and again?

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Josh said:

Would you quit your job because some people were throwing shade at you on twitter even if your employer thought you were doing a good enough job to hire again and again?

I wouldn't really say it's SOME people. Consumers AND critics alike have been panning the writing as of late. The employer should have better common sense than this and reflect in a manner that does whatever it takes to make a better product the next go around.

Having a bleeding heart for folks isn't helping the franchise.

Wow, we made it to page 420. Nice.

Anyways, it looks like you can choose between a male or female character, if the eyelashes on the green character are anything to go off of. That's cool.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

You know, when the people working on a product are generally rather universally disliked by their consumers, I suppose by now lackluster releases shouldn't be much of a surprise. Kind of an...

"You don't like us, so why will we care about you?" kind of position most working on the franchise are in.

Whitehead and his team are the entire opposite though, fairly universally beloved and thus, look at their product.

But... That's just me getting psychological.

4110889.gif

Makes you feel sorry for em'.

I don't hate Graff so much that I would post nasty comments on his Twitter account. ^^;; I just don't think his and Pontac's writing suits Sonic, and it's very telling when they said they never even researched the characters' properly. Sonic Colours story was fine (IMO) but Generations, Lost World and especially Shattered Crystal were disappointments. They're too wacky and silly, I wish we could get something akin to Unleashed again. MAYBE we'll get that here with Sonic Forces, but I've given them plenty of chances and I just don't see it happening this time either. 

I do feel bad for all the hate and vitriol they get though...that Twitter account is toxic af

• Thumbs Up 3

To add to the video count in here, SomeCallMeJohnny gives his opinion on the new OC trailer.

I can kind of see his point when it comes to who the OC's will appeal to, but still...I'm staying cautious about this game, personally.

2 hours ago, Nepenthe said:

None of these really have any thematic meaning to the species they're attached to. Only the bird makes sense, and barely. Shouldn't the bird be able to fly?

No?

But we should have gotten a sick EX Gear.

I suppose I could custom create a purple wolf..use Nack' s wolf-weasel hybrid thang from the Japanese cannon and hope like heck they have his hat, boots and gloves or similar in the custom clothing.

Who am I kidding, personally this whole game looks like a hot mess of hodge-podge things thrown together. I cant get begind it at all. Guess it's only Sonic Mania for me this year and I'll pick this up super cheap second hand years later like I did with '06 all those years ago. Not paying full price for whatever it is they think this game is. 

3 minutes ago, Tenko said:

I suppose I could custom create a purple wolf..use Nack' s wolf-weasel hybrid thang from the Japanese cannon and hope like heck they have his hat, boots and gloves or similar in the custom clothing.

Who am I kidding, personally this whole game looks like a hot mess of hodge-podge things thrown together. I cant get begind it at all. Guess it's only Sonic Mania for me this year and I'll pick this up super cheap second hand years later like I did with '06 all those years ago. Not paying full price for whatever it is they think this game is. 

I've said it before. The game will probably have sales going on pretty quick digitally so I'll probably get it off the eShop when one comes around.

Do we know how detailed this character creator is going to be?

I can see a slightly more detailed version than what it looked like now, whereby we can have different coloured gloves, muzzles, and maybe eyes. Perhaps even secondary colours to the main just to give a bit more personalisation to the character. And though this is going slightly overboard, the ability to place distinctive marks on the body to further personalise them.

Then again, if customisation got so deep that we had control of literally everything, we'd end up with someone playing the entire game as Iron Man.

• Thumbs Up 2

I mean if their idea was for people to be able to play as their favourite character/animal in the series but make their own custom one then they could have at least made a few more animal choices. Some of the main characters in the series animal bases are totally missing. I guess wolf is similar to fox, where's the generic lizard/crocodile type base, for your Vector/Espio fans for example. 

Classic Sonic still makes no sense until we get more story info. Even then it's probably going to sound shoe horned. The objects similar to Sonic Runners has me a bit concerned too, like with Shadow the Hedgehog and the guns it kind of doesn't fit the standard Sonic formula, while I'm sure they will try to keep pacing it just seems like it kind of slows things down a bit when your stopping mid air etc to fire off things and use items.

The whole thing just really doesn't seem to gel to me. 

Interested to see how detailed and in-depth the character creator is. 

Because I still really want Bubsy to be in this game. 

rsz_imageproxyggf_f.png

• Thumbs Up 5

Anyone wanna take bets on them adding the Bubsy shirt or something EXTREMELY similar to it for the character creator?

• Thumbs Up 3

7 minutes ago, Sonicfan7 said:

Interested to see how detailed and in-depth the character creator is. 

Because I still really want Bubsy to be in this game. 

rsz_imageproxyggf_f.png

You can try all you want. You can make a cat, you can call it Bob, but you'll never make that bobcat.

• Thumbs Up 2

I may be pessimistic, but with each new info they release I'm getting more and more dissapointed with the game. Usually I could have fun playing with my own character, but the designs they have shown just look too bland and generic. There could be more customization options, but if there were options to make the hero characters look nearly as good as actual Sonic characters we would probably have seen such designs in some of the screenshots.

What I don't get is why Sonic Team can't make a Sonic game without some special gimmick for once. The last "normal" Sonic game they made would be '06, but you still have the needless realism and Silver's stages in that. Then there are guns, teamwork mechanic, gameplay roulette if you want to count that, and the last normal sonic game would be Sonic and Knuckles, released 23 years ago.