Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

If it makes anyone feel better, I've got a friend who only liked Generations, whose only really into Sonic when we're both making fun of it, and he's super excited about this game.... maybe for the wrong reasons..but still! Just because the media wants to make a big deal out of "lol deviantart" doesn't mean they're writing the game off.

Seriously, how the hell do you guys expect any gaming news source to make a serious article about something like this? It's really not that big a deal.

• Thumbs Up 4

5 minutes ago, BubbleButt TV said:
I'm not sure if that means anything to anyone, but there you go

It's probably not for positive reasons.

• Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, Person said:

If it makes anyone feel better, I've got a friend who only liked Generations, whose only really into Sonic when we're both making fun of it, and he's super excited about this game.... maybe for the wrong reasons..but still! Just because the media wants to make a big deal out of "lol deviantart" doesn't mean they're writing the game off.

Seriously, how the hell do you guys expect any gaming news source to make a serious article about something like this? It's really not that big a deal.

I don't think the media is outright hating the character creator, as they do with everything else related to Sonic. Their reaction is more something of stunned disbelief; they can't help but share the idea on their websites. This announcement is generating a crazy amount of free coverage for Sega, which is only going to encourage more people to take an interest in Sonic Forces development.

7 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

2 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

Even mocking attention is still attention, I guess.

giphy.gif

Well, at least we can finally give a game credit for uniting the fan base, albeit not in the way most expected/hoped/wanted.

Negative unity is still unity and is better than what we've had so far the past ten years or so.

• Thumbs Up 1

I want there to also be an option where I can just make my character run around in tighty whities.

Like all the male characters are already naked but it'd still somehow be awkward with my character in underwear. Putting on some clothes somehow makes him feel more naked. You know?

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Nepenthe said:

Even mocking attention is still attention, I guess.

I'll take mocking attention over manic-depressive cynicism any day. The potential for a character creator is so ridiculously awesome the idea is essentially immune to the usual mocking. Some people are deliberately going to create bizarre looking characters and post the results on social media, which is exactly as intended. A character creator is just a fun concept and I think even the media has to acknowledge that enthusiasm.

11 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

What are you on about!! I'm honestly shocked you arent more hype for this!! You finally get your 70's trowsers mode you have been waiting for since like...forever!!

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Kintor said:

I'll take mocking attention over manic-depressive cynicism any day. The potential for a character creator is so ridiculously awesome the idea is essentially immune to the usual mocking. Some people are deliberately going to create bizarre looking characters and post the results on social media, which is exactly as intended. A character creator is just a fun concept and I think even the media has to acknowledge that enthusiasm.

Not everything can be positive. But mockery from non-fans isn't much better than fan-based cynicism. Both are negative.

Just now, StaticMania said:

Not everything can be positive. But mockery from non-fans isn't much better than fan-based cynicism. Both are negative.

This is literally where we're at now.

Begging for attention and relevancy any way we can get it like a dog.

• Thumbs Up 3

8 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

I don't want the franchise to officially succumb to the bizarre whims of those who don't even give that much of a damn about the games proper and the general meme culture of the Internet. We're already still dealing with Sega having officially recognized the Classic and Modern divide in the fan base. Now we're further pushing other established characters to the side even more for a character creator just so kids can try to create their terrible characters in an editor that doesn't even look to be able to have two color application?

Don't get so worked up about this, creating bizzare characters is a fine gaming tradition. Just look at the stuff surronding the Mass Effect Trilogy, some truly hideous freaks being shared on social media, but it didn't do anything to diminish the dignity of those games or the serious story that Bioware wanted to tell. A character creator is going to play really well across the YouTube and Twitch crowd, it's going to bring a lot of new blood in the fanbase and I think that can only be a good thing.

Just now, Kintor said:

Don't get so worked up about this, creating bizzare characters is a fine gaming tradition.'

So is shooting up things. Let's make a Sonic FPS game! Gotta go for that Call of Duty market!

Just now, Kintor said:

it's going to bring a lot of new blood in the fanbase and I think that can only be a good thing.

So would a normal game that was good.

Breath of the Wild doesn't have a character creator. Why you insist we need one is beyond me.

• Thumbs Up 9

Are you ok Nepenthe? You seemed fine earlier but you seem genuinely mad right now and I can't understand why because nothing has changed from a few hours ago

Just now, Shaddy the guy said:

Are you ok Nepenthe? You seemed fine earlier but you seem genuinely mad right now and I can't understand why because nothing has changed from a few hours ago

Sonic Forces didn't get cancelled. Every minute that passes with this game existing is kinda making me madder. 

Or it could just be that Nepenthe had ended up in the same situation I was in before, engaging in some discussions that really aren't worth the strife. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Kintor said:

Don't get so worked up about this, creating bizzare characters is a fine gaming tradition. Just look at the stuff surronding the Mass Effect Trilogy, some truly hideous freaks being shared on social media, but it didn't do anything to diminish the dignity of those games or the serious story that Bioware wanted to tell. A character creator is going to play really well across the YouTube and Twitch crowd, it's going to bring a lot of new blood in the fanbase and I think that can only be a good thing.

A character creator doesn't do anything for a game's quality if the accompanying game-play isn't up to snuff. And who's to say the "new" people who get this game would like the Boost or Classic game-play? They take up 2/3 of the game!

• Thumbs Up 1

This makes me hope the PC release is relatively open to modding, so players can add extra props, species, faces, etc. 

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, the idea of a character creator on it's own isn't that bad of a solo idea.

However, it's hard not to be cynical about it when you look at this jumbled clusterfuck of a package they're putting before us. 

Somebody from SEGA grabbed the Swedish Chef from the Muppets and told him to make a game. Not knowing how, he just grabbed all the things he thought were popular about Sonic and flung them all into a bowl and avoided all the things he heard critics didn't like, not bothering to look into the reason they were or weren't liked. Wisps, Classic Sonic, Fan-Characters, none of the original characters doing anything, and Warren Graff (because he tweeted he wrote the story). 

And then after it came out a big, slobbering mess, he proceeded to bang his spoons on the countertop like a weirdo.

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 9

2 minutes ago, Joseph Mello said:

Oh no.... We are doing this again aren't we.

If Sonic Team go even further with the next game...hopefully.

Though what does going further even mean in this case...?