Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

Keep this crap out of future games. Relegate it to a spin-off that I can just ignore, please. 

You mean. You no want to buy the inevitable Buddy game that will get released in 2020?

• Thumbs Up 7

Just now, Mayor D said:

You mean. You no want to buy the inevitable Buddy game that will get released in 2020?

Me no want.

This should be that though. It should be all about Buddy and buddies, without Sonic. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Buddy

Bubsy

Come on Sega. You're close.

7 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

It has literally been obvious since Colors that Sonic Team has been manufacturing reasons to keep the extended cast from being playable.

I'd say Unleashed was the first time it was clear what they were doing.

5 minutes ago, Tornado said:

I'd say Unleashed was the first time it was clear what they were doing.

Unleashed has a lot of the same issues I talk about; true. Only reason I don't mention it is because it was basically made as a direct experimental response to 06, and considering its middling reception and the loss of the director you couldn't tell what they would and wouldn't have kept aside from the boost. There was no reason to suspect that the extended cast wasn't there because that was basically a new permanent rule in the Bible now because Unleashed was literally the only big 3D installment from Sonic Team to try it at the time. But it became an eyebrow-raiser when they did it a second time.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Honestly, I believe this is a hook that's going to draw a lot of children in. I loathe the idea of a character creator, but they're pulling it off better than I had expected and the reception (outside of SSMB) isn't actually that negative.

Keep this crap out of future games. Relegate it to a spin-off that I can just ignore, please. 

You and I both know if this goes over, they're gonna milk the shit out of this

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

It has literally been obvious since Colors that Sonic Team has been manufacturing reasons to keep the extended cast from being playable.

They're not "manufacturing excuses", they're just not making them playable. Colors being set in space didn't have any bearing on who was playable in it. If they had any intention of other characters being playable they could've been there, trivially, and everyone knows it. It's not any kind of justification, it's just the setting and story they chose. They don't need an excuse in the first place anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

They're not "manufacturing excuses", they're just not making them playable. Colors being set in space didn't have any bearing on who was playable in it. If they had any intention of other characters being playable they could've been there, trivially, and everyone knows it. It's not any kind of justification, it's just the setting and story they chose. They don't need an excuse in the first place anyway.

They're making specific artistic decisions that either don't make sense given what we know of the characters prior or help supplement or explain away the nonsense, aka "manufacturing." I'm actually trying to give them the benefit of the doubt as professional artists that they're not making these kinds of weird and contradictory decisions because "they just feel like it," but rather to serve a particular vision- mandated or otherwise- of how the franchise should be going forward. Colors also wasn't the only game to take place in space; Lost World did for no particular reason other than the ones that help serve to define the meaning behind Colors' aesthetics and themes at all.

At this point, it's just safer to say they simply have no interest or incentive to use the supporting cast. I doubt it's some grand scheme to piss off their fans, but rather there is simply no demand to bring them back.

Yea, we all like to talk about how much we want them back here, but it's not like there's some overwhelming desire across the community. A lot of fans are content to just let them rot and never found them that appealing in the first place.

Additionally, Sega may just have a direction for the series that simply doesn't involve them. They've been rather adamant on steering the series towards a new direction to earn back public faith, and just focus on the what they feel Sonic should be. The supporting cast just aren't apart of that sadly.

I fucking hate this new direction tbh, but the kids like it and most of the fanbase find it inoffensive despite the vocal minority, so there's no incentive for them to stop and every incentive to continue.

So all I can do is be spiteful and hope it fails, because fuck this game and everything it represents lol.

• Thumbs Up 5

I wonder how many people are going to make their custom character look like any of the pre-existing cast?

Purple wolves with hats galore.

• Thumbs Up 2

Most reaction on fb. YouTube have been very positive towards the character creator while some on ssmb act as if Satanstuck a nude eggman in their shower. This gives more potential for future games. Hell I'd enjoy a Mario maker sonic edition. I bitch when needed and see something messed up. A oc creator is not one of those moments

I don't think it's a "conspiracy" and I'm miffed at that wording.

I think someone randomly decided other characters weren't wanted anymore and the team started making dumb decisions to facilitate it even though the franchise is in part defined by the cast, same reason why companies thought no one liked atmospheric horror games anymore just because and thus we got Resident Evil 6.

I only outlined what I felt those decisions were and how they fit into the greater goal of this new direction.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, Nepenthe said:

I think someone randomly decided other characters weren't wanted anymore

"Randomly", as opposed to "in response to widespread outcry and falling sales".

3 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

I don't think it's a "conspiracy" and I'm miffed at that wording.

I apologise, I didn't mean anything by it as if you were being paranoid or non-sensical, I was only casually using it as shorthand for like... "behind-the-scenes decisions and operations that we will likely never get to know for sure".

• Thumbs Up 6

6 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

"Randomly", as opposed to "in response to widespread outcry and falling sales".

Seriously. I don't like it either, but if you Google "Sonic" right now, the third article that comes up is called "Sonic Forces lets you make your own character, you probably can’t do worse than the people paid to do it". Somehow, despite it being, like, almost a decade since anyone else was playable in any sort of capacity, this franchise still has the "Sonic's s*%#y friends" stereotype.

It sucks, and I really want the other characters to be playable again, but at this point I'm willing to take Buddy for now, just because he's not Sonic. I'm just hoping that the other characters are important in the story, and don't get Pontaffed again.

• Thumbs Up 8

Just now, Nepenthe said:

Things which are still happening lol. Kinda weird that throwing the cast down the drain didn't magically solve every issue, especially with the most hyped game in years actually having other playable characters. It's almost like they weren't the real issue. Imagine that.

Nepenthe, honestly, this is the worst argument you've ever made, and I don't know why you keep trying to make it. No one ever thought that scaling back the cast in itself would solve every problem with the series. It's a shameless strawman. What is ridiculous is acting like the character bloat played no part in this series' problems simply because addressing it didn't solve everything. Cutting back on the cast meant more focused gameplay and more focused stories, rather than sprawling messes of poorly designed/polished gameplay and overwrought stories. Did it always work perfectly? Obviously not, Sonic Team can hardly do anything right even under the best circumstances. Would any of the post-'06 games actually be better if they had a bunch of other playable characters? Not unless you place the number of playable characters far above every other aspect of a game.

• Thumbs Up 6

46 minutes ago, JezMM said:

"Let's do them properly or not at all".

Are we talking about the same Sonic Team? Their past 20 years of games were full of "not properly" developed mechanics and ideas. Even their last game, Lost World and its core mechanic was not developed properly.

24 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Nepenthe, honestly, this is the worst argument you've ever made, and I don't know why you keep trying to make it. No one ever thought that scaling back the cast in itself would solve every problem with the series. It's a shameless strawman. What is ridiculous is acting like the character bloat played no part in this series' problems simply because addressing it didn't solve everything. Cutting back on the cast meant more focused gameplay and more focused stories, rather than sprawling messes of poorly designed/polished gameplay and overwrought stories. Did it always work perfectly? Obviously not, Sonic Team can hardly do anything right even under the best circumstances. Would any of the post-'06 games actually be better if they had a bunch of other playable characters? Not unless you place the number of playable characters far above every other aspect of a game.

I didn't actually make the argument here that cutting characters was the silver bullet, rather that your framing for why was weaksauce in light of the fact that Sonic even by your own sometimes melodramatic admission is not anywhere close to where he should be in terms of quality and hasn't been for at least a decade regardless of the roster size in any given game at any given time in history, meaning it is obvious by now in the Year of our Lord 2017 that the continued insistence that no member of the extended cast- even folks with good standing like Tails and Knuckles- can be playable anymore because they're anathema to sales and reputation is false to the arguable point of delusion.

Also notice that when Tornado made a correction to my post that Unleashed started many of these aesthetic trends that I admitted it with understanding that it was in reasonable response to Sonic 06- the poster child that people, including you, keep drudging up from the dead as an automatic shutdown towards anyone asking for other characters back- so clearly I'm not so dumb as to literally believe that the scale-back didn't initially have basis, but rather the basis at this point is not convincing or relevant anymore as an explanation for why certain trends continue to exist.

And also clearly my love of Unleashed (and noted dislike of Heroes and 06 which you should well be privy to by now) means I actually don't hinge my love of any given Sonic game on the size of the roster in direct proportion.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just for the record, Sonic Colors being on space had nothing to do with the lack of characters since they all show up on the park in the portable version of the game (I genuinely cannot remember which console it was on... the DS I think?).

• Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, HedgehogBR said:

A little preview. 

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/sonic-forces-preview/

Highs

• Darker tone
  • Customizable character
  • Inspired by series’ best games
  • Pretty visuals

Lows

• Are three playable heroes too much?
  • Sonic has let us down before

That's quite a positive preview, which is always good to see. The positive articles from smaller websites, outside the big names like IGN and Gamespot, will go a long way towards bringing more attention to Sonic Forces.

Overall, it seems that most the media is actually being largely positive about the character creator. No doubt other recent successes like Dragon Ball Xenoverse helped to pave the way. Still, the chance to create official OCs in a Sonic game has certainly generated a lot of excited chatter around the net.

• Thumbs Up 2