Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

I'd imagine SEGA is doing the talking while everybody abruptly crashes.

They always find a way... No matter what happens after this game, let it be known SEGA always found a way to get us all.

8 minutes ago, Dr. Chaotix said:

He made a video about it. He says some pretty agreeable stuff. 

yeah I gotta agree that them building on Gens and seeing if they can do more with it is alright with me. I'm just not okay with them Re-doing Gens again in the literal sense if that's what this essentially turns out being for 80% of the thing

Oh and there's this lol 

IMG_9561.PNG

13 minutes ago, KHCast said:

yeah I gotta agree that them building on Gens and seeing if they can do more with it is alright with me. I'm just not okay with them Re-doing Gens again in the literal sense if that's what this essentially turns out being for 80% of the thing

Oh and there's this lol 

IMG_9561.PNG

...Oh how far we're falling together.

This is topping all the cakes.

......F@$k......

tumblr_lq91d0wzzW1qj0zk3o1_500_zps3131af

Well places like Tumblr have had the most positive reaction to it, and that's where most of the Nintendo crowd hangs out. Or where they are the majority. So I imagine that yes this will be appealing to nintendo people.

4 hours ago, blazefan519 said:

Ayy, wondering when someone would do this.

I really couldn't let that opportunity slide haha :D

Was wondering if this would get featured on here, thought I was the only one who saw that recent trailer that way :D

2 hours ago, Tenko said:

We have Modern Sonic for the fans of the newer games, we have Classic Sonic for the fans of the older games. We have added a character creator so those that aren't happy to just play Sonic the Hedgehog with its lead character can create their own and stop complaining. It has lighthearted segments harkening back to the classics, it has areas with more dark undertones. 

Gadzooks we have done everything that all sides of the community wanted in one game!! This can't go wrong!!

It really isn't that simple. Modern Sonic has seemingly taken slightly more linear and automated approach than most of us prefer but feels mostly familiar because of the boost games, classic Sonic hasn't gained much praise from understandable reasons and what they've shown us so far. I don't know about the third style, it is somewhat of a modern Sonic without boost and comes with a few interesting twists.

9 minutes ago, FFWF said:

So I stepped back.  I tried to look at this game from a perspective of trying to figure out the franchise's direction from here.  And then I saw it:

If the Custom Hero is a success, Sonic's friends will never be playable again.

The Custom Hero has unlimited ability to sideline and replace Sonic's friends.  Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, all the rest - if Buddy succeeds, he will kill all of them.

Yeah...at this point though, I've kind of realised we're probably never going to see them again in a major role comparable to something like Adventure 1 or 2 anyway. Buddy is simply proof of Sonic Team's desire to keep things safe, a lot like the wisps. 

That being said I'm interested to see what the third gameplay style is like, I wonder if it'll feel more like Adventure as there's nowhere near as much speed to play around with. 

Heh, the thought occured to me that a lot of the recent gimmicks that seemed like they were one-time only tricks keep sticking around for future games.
Wisps, Classic Sonic, Boost. If the Custom character also becomes a staple... Hah, it's almost as if the Sonic franchise is going to become a weird Katamari ball of dozens of ideas and gameplay concepts piled on top of a giant monstrous ball of uncontrollable gameplay death.

120132-c_032505_katamari3b.jpg

Heh, let's hope it won't get that far.

At least I'm happy they made the Wisps into equipment for Buddy. That seems like a decent attempt to "smooth" the gimmicks together into one comprehensible whole at least.

4 hours ago, Kintor said:

a character creator is going to be a significent sales boost for Sonic Forces.

people viewing a video on the internet lots =/= lots of people putting down £40-50 for a videogame

6 minutes ago, Ayliffe said:

people viewing a video on the internet lots =/= lots of people putting down £40-50 for a videogame

Honestly, I believe this is a hook that's going to draw a lot of children in. I loathe the idea of a character creator, but they're pulling it off better than I had expected and the reception (outside of SSMB) isn't actually that negative.

Keep this crap out of future games. Relegate it to a spin-off that I can just ignore, please. 

8 minutes ago, Ayliffe said:

Getting people talking about Sonic Forces is always the first step. This character creator announcement has done just that. So far so good, now onwards to E3!

Heads up, Gamersyde has the trailers with a higher bitrate and the concept art in much higher quality: 

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_sonic_forces_reveals_custom_character_feature-19094_en.html

I don't get why SEGA keeps releasing the trailers only in 720p. The game is on PC and should definitely be able to reach 1080p.

Buddy

Bubsy

Come on Sega. You're close.

7 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

It has literally been obvious since Colors that Sonic Team has been manufacturing reasons to keep the extended cast from being playable.

I'd say Unleashed was the first time it was clear what they were doing.

5 minutes ago, Tornado said:

I'd say Unleashed was the first time it was clear what they were doing.

Unleashed has a lot of the same issues I talk about; true. Only reason I don't mention it is because it was basically made as a direct experimental response to 06, and considering its middling reception and the loss of the director you couldn't tell what they would and wouldn't have kept aside from the boost. There was no reason to suspect that the extended cast wasn't there because that was basically a new permanent rule in the Bible now because Unleashed was literally the only big 3D installment from Sonic Team to try it at the time. But it became an eyebrow-raiser when they did it a second time.

3 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Honestly, I believe this is a hook that's going to draw a lot of children in. I loathe the idea of a character creator, but they're pulling it off better than I had expected and the reception (outside of SSMB) isn't actually that negative.

Keep this crap out of future games. Relegate it to a spin-off that I can just ignore, please. 

You and I both know if this goes over, they're gonna milk the shit out of this

33 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

It has literally been obvious since Colors that Sonic Team has been manufacturing reasons to keep the extended cast from being playable.

They're not "manufacturing excuses", they're just not making them playable. Colors being set in space didn't have any bearing on who was playable in it. If they had any intention of other characters being playable they could've been there, trivially, and everyone knows it. It's not any kind of justification, it's just the setting and story they chose. They don't need an excuse in the first place anyway.

9 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

They're not "manufacturing excuses", they're just not making them playable. Colors being set in space didn't have any bearing on who was playable in it. If they had any intention of other characters being playable they could've been there, trivially, and everyone knows it. It's not any kind of justification, it's just the setting and story they chose. They don't need an excuse in the first place anyway.

They're making specific artistic decisions that either don't make sense given what we know of the characters prior or help supplement or explain away the nonsense, aka "manufacturing." I'm actually trying to give them the benefit of the doubt as professional artists that they're not making these kinds of weird and contradictory decisions because "they just feel like it," but rather to serve a particular vision- mandated or otherwise- of how the franchise should be going forward. Colors also wasn't the only game to take place in space; Lost World did for no particular reason other than the ones that help serve to define the meaning behind Colors' aesthetics and themes at all.

At this point, it's just safer to say they simply have no interest or incentive to use the supporting cast. I doubt it's some grand scheme to piss off their fans, but rather there is simply no demand to bring them back.

Yea, we all like to talk about how much we want them back here, but it's not like there's some overwhelming desire across the community. A lot of fans are content to just let them rot and never found them that appealing in the first place.

Additionally, Sega may just have a direction for the series that simply doesn't involve them. They've been rather adamant on steering the series towards a new direction to earn back public faith, and just focus on the what they feel Sonic should be. The supporting cast just aren't apart of that sadly.

I fucking hate this new direction tbh, but the kids like it and most of the fanbase find it inoffensive despite the vocal minority, so there's no incentive for them to stop and every incentive to continue.

So all I can do is be spiteful and hope it fails, because fuck this game and everything it represents lol.