Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

I'd honestly be fine if they heavily nerfed Tails' flying ability and gave him some other aerial moves instead. There are other ways to implement the characters without directly imitating their Classic abilities. They adapted Sonic's for 3D, after all.

Yeah the more I think about it the more I feel I'd be okay with the scenario I suggested as well.  I mean, flawed as it may be, it's not exactly any worse than the myriad of invisible walls and "put square peg in square hole" platforming challenges that Sonic's own gameplay has been giving us since Sonic Adventure 2.

I feel with something as wacky as Tails' flight you could never 100% avoid all unwanted player behaviour with just giving it a small time limit.  Some kind of visual cue that you're trying to do something you can't would be necessary I think, like how invisible walls in the (otherwise very free) Katamari games are handled with a little visual of the King of All Cosmos' hand blocking your way.

To be honest I think Knuckles is the bigger problem.  The last thing you want is someone trying to be clever and take a shortcut by gliding towards a wall above a death pit and then finding out they can't climb that one.

But yeah, having sections that test my dexterity with a different kind of aerial movement than regular jumping and homing attacks/air dashes sounds more fun to me than just using flight abilities to skip segments of gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mimicing character abilities in 3D from 2D doesn't seem feasible to me. Now granted, they've never tried either, but I can't even imagine how you'd get something like Tails flight to work in a 3D plane without severely nerfing it as has been suggested.

3 minutes ago, Josh said:

It wouldn't be hard at all to satisfy both of them.

If we had competent developers, at least.

I'm not even fundamentally against multiple playable characters. It's just far, far down the list for me, and I don't see it as any kind of priority when there are bigger issues to deal with.

1 minute ago, Nepenthe said:

So never.

At this rate, probably! But then the series will be dead and none of this will matter anyway. While there's still a chance, I want them to try the path most likely to succeed. And I don't think it's the path where they shove in more playable characters just because that's what some people want.

Boost gameplay and Wisps have been staples for seven years. Classic Sonic is looking to be one as well. This is a consistent identity in that we can expect certain things from the games going forward. Again, the fact that you don't like it doesn't mean anything to that point.

Are you really trying to say having boost gameplay and "classic" gameplay counts as a single gameplay identity? Anyway maybe in all the confusion I forgot to make it explicit but I would figure it'd be obvious that the identity shouldn't be shit. It needs to be something solid and sustainable and good. Otherwise they're just making more crap regardless of who's playable.

Fuck outta here. If a miracle is asking for Wisp powers to be exclusive to a different character models they already have on file then you must honestly think Sonic Team is composed of actual children.

Well you've seen the quality of the games they make.

23 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

At this point, we're basically arguing what's beneficial for the series or not lol

What Nepenthe wants and what Dio wants are fundamentally different. So the question begs, what are we actually willing to compromise on to satisfy our desires?

I've compromised on pretty much everything over the years.

I've admitted that extended casts don't directly correspond to quality (not that I ever argued otherwise.) I've backed off on defending the boost as much. I've made peace with the fact that people believe the Adventure games weren't good at the time of release. I've tolerated Maria's existence, have at least once called it the best decision Sega has made in awhile, and subsequently have welcomed the idea of more classic-based ideas in the 3D games. I've said that humor is welcome. I've said hubs can go if they have to. I mean, I have fuck all else to make negotiable at this point.

But I refuse to renege on this because it's fucking ridiculous and farcical at this point. I want at least one other playable character in the games who is at least a presently-existing (aka not a Classic character) established cast member. Don't care who it is; fucking reskin Sonic as Shadow if you have to. Make it optional as well (another thing I've compromised on) so as not to trigger anyone who doesn't like him or the idea of controlling him. I'm not budging on this no matter how many tired appeals to popularity or incompetence that people make. No. Anyone trying to say I can't even have that anymore can piss up a rope.

• Thumbs Up 9

24 minutes ago, Joseph Mello said:

Hey everyone...

unlockables are confirmed. (?)

Maybe you can get those from Amy herself or something that. We could get Knuckles' gloves, Shadow's shoes....

So interaction with the resistance confirmed?

(Also, mustaches are confirmed :p)

I guess they're unavailable because you can't put dress on a dude.

This game is all wrong!

In this day and age, SEGA doesn't respect diversity!

5fc291d0b9428612a3d293c15fcefaf2.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Josh said:

SonicForces_Hero_Screen_02_1493934626.jp

I've been thinking a lot about the fact that this is a female purple cat character holding a flame thrower.

I'm just saying...

I'll make something like that and call it Blaze Junior.

I.....have to say the OC creator doesn't really impress me at all nor do I care for it, not a bit.

I parrot what has been said before about the limited customization with species, the special abilities that basically Sonic's gameplay with minor tweaks (could have at least elemental fire, ice, wind etc aesthetics too to make it look more varied?), not being able to play as the current cast who are getting sidelined again and possibly not ever if cust chars become the norm for future games, etc. Doesn't help with the current writers as well.

Also I'm willing to bet (the obvious) that Sega is gonna pull micro transactions with this stint too and charging for extra skins/accessories too esp seasonal ones to keep the cash flow. Would rather have seasonal stages like with Halloween/Pumpkin Hill, Christmas theme, etc. instead. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they slapped us in the face with having the current cast only available as timed microtrans/DLC too. It's like Smash Bros Wii U but with little content per update and possibly charges extra that should have been playable in the friggin' first place.

Thanks a bunch, sega, ya cheap lazy twits :/ .

Can't make her Blaze though. It's too hard.

The only way they could've captured my attention with this game was to let the other characters in in some way. It's not like the gameplay template they had would not fit Blaze, Shadow, Tails even (with the same hover he had in Rise of Lyric), that would've made more sense and it wouldn't have looked so childish and amateurish.

8 minutes ago, Jango said:

I guess they're unavailable because you can't put dress on a dude.

This game is all wrong!

In this day and age, SEGA doesn't respect diversity!

http://newsbeat.co.ke/gossip/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2015/11/5fc291d0b9428612a3d293c15fcefaf2.jpg

Oh... (I blame America, Japan and Persona 5)

Oh well, at least I can put Chao backpacks! :3

Not gonna lie, while I would like another character from the cast playable for once (because good god I want to play as shadow or knuckles again) this honestly doesn't seem like too bad of a compromise, I mean yeah the implications are pretty bad (if this succeeds we're most likely only getting OC's as other characters from now on which i'd hate) but the buddy seems like he plays like a modern sonic without an overpowered boost and with platforming abilities that you can customize which could open up potential for different stage designs and makes him way more flexible than if it was just a character with a defined ability. If anything I really wish they'd get rid of one of the sonics (preferably classic) because there is waaaayyyyy to much overlap in gameplay styles here.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you can't make any kind of reptile character then I'll be very dissapointed...so...maybe I should get ready for that :S

Someone explain what of the oc creator is twisting your undies up your butt about it. After 26 years it's nice to have something like this outside commission fan art. Also you want different characters of old cast we got mania.

2 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Also you want different characters of old cast we got mania.

How about not telling me to play a game I don't want to play? 

4 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Someone explain what of the oc creator is twisting your undies up your butt about it. After 26 years it's nice to have something like this outside commission fan art. Also you want different characters of old cast we got mania.

Dude, you're totally missing the point here.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm somewhat perplexed by those who cite the treatment of the characters as reason not to buy the game at all. I understand that's frustrating but... wouldn't you also need the gameplay to be bad? Clearly many of you have included this, but not everyone. 

7 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

You're not even trying.

Just now, Whatever the WhoCares said:

I'm somewhat perplexed by those who cite the treatment of the characters as reason not to buy the game at all. I understand that's frustrating but... wouldn't you also need the gameplay to be bad? Clearly many of you have included this, but not everyone. 

I skip on plenty of games that are better than what Forces is looking to shape up to be. I don't like to play car sims like Forza because I don't like the focus on realistic driving, so I don't buy them. I'm outright terrible at all fighting games, so I don't buy them. I don't really care for MOBAs as a genre as a whole, so I don't buy them. I can still admire these games from afar. I can say that Forza is clearly the best car sim out now and its arcade-y offshoot Horizon adds some welcome lightheartedness to the proceedings, that Killer Instinct is an incredible fighting game in aesthetics, music, mechanics, and overall hype factor, and that StarCraft has undoubtedly earned its reputation as an intense e-sport that boasts some of the most technically accomplished players in the genre.

But I'm not obligated to buy any of them just because they're good.

• Thumbs Up 7

1 minute ago, VEDJ-F said:

No makeup options confirmed.

Makes sense. 

We need some hairstyles, though. 90% of the more creative OC's have hair :v

Hey, what the Park Avenue's lyrics are saying exactly? "Destiny.... right before you" ?

Just now, Jango said:

Hey, what the Park Avenue's lyrics are saying exactly? "Destiny.... right before you" ?

Pretty much that. 

Just now, Jango said:

*lies before you