Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

11 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

The image of Sonic irately shoving music notes down Vector's throat after failing the mission several times will follow me forever

Hey it's your fault for not getting 18 notes in him for a S rank in under 3 minutes.

Just now, Operationgamer17 said:

I'm going to give the topic about a week before something happens that causes it to get closed again. 

We heard you in the statuses.

In general, thread-whining is frowned upon. Don't do it.

• Thumbs Up 1

It should be noted that this game is being treated like a sideshow than a full fledged game by people who a only follow the series in passing.

People know this game is just a another gimmicky sideshow and mocking it for it.

Like honestly, who asked for this!!!!???

• Thumbs Up 2

@Meta77 I'd like to heard what you thought about what I said about the custom character. I'm trying to make some genuine points that you can understand even if you disagree.

https://board.sonicstadium.org/?app=core&module=system&controller=content&do=find&content_class=forums_Topic&content_id=21313&content_commentid=1114968

5 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

It should be noted that this game is being treated like a sideshow than a full fledged game by people who a only follow the series in passing.

People know this game is just a another gimmicky sideshow and mocking it for it.

Like honestly, who asked for this!!!!???

It feels like most of the fanbase is excited or at least indifferent to this game though, I dunno. In casual circles it feels like the game is going over well either ironically or not. People like us seem like the odd ones out.

I'm not citing any hard numbers or anything here. I'd like to hear what you guys have been seeing. Is it just me?

3 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

@Meta77 I'd like to heard what you thought about what I said about the custom character. I'm trying to make some genuine points that you can understand even if you disagree.

https://board.sonicstadium.org/?app=core&module=system&controller=content&do=find&content_class=forums_Topic&content_id=21313&content_commentid=1114968

I'll look at this when I get off for tofay in a little

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Kintor said:

That's quite a positive preview, which is always good to see. The positive articles from smaller websites, outside the big names like IGN and Gamespot, will go a long way towards bringing more attention to Sonic Forces.

Overall, it seems that most the media is actually being largely positive about the character creator. No doubt other recent successes like Dragon Ball Xenoverse helped to pave the way. Still, the chance to create official OCs in a Sonic game has certainly generated a lot of excited chatter around the net.

I can definitely see this as a game the general audience loves bit the fanbase loathes (if general impressions so far are anything to go by). 

Casual folk love modern Sonic and recognize him as the icon of "when the games became good again" , while most fans are tired of it or downright hate the gameplay 

Casual folk love Classic Sonic and care more about general asthetics then 1:1 gameplay like the fans 

Casual folk I'm betting will adore the CaC because lel memes and those types of features are big in games now. Again we have people outraged and leaving the fandom at this. 

I wouldn't be surprised if this games ends up on 70s metric yet within the fanbase will be mostly disliked but we'll see 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Josh said:

It feels like most of the fanbase is excited or at least indifferent to this game though, I dunno. In casual circles it feels like the game is going over well either ironically or not. People like us seem like the odd ones out.

I'm not citing any hard numbers or anything here. I'd like to hear what you guys have been seeing. Is it just me?

NeoGAF seems mainly off-put by it, either as an actual gimmick or out of ironic fascination due to the "bad OC" angle. I've told two people in real life about it and they both laughed it off. Outside of SSMB I don't get the most glowing impression. At best, it seems inoffensive, and at worst, people are deriding it as stupid.

• Thumbs Up 8

1 hour ago, Meta77 said:

EDit: I honestly think people had kh3 expectations of sonic games these days. It's just not happening. Sure I'm probably just some old sonic fam that actually grew up with the series from its start but I also just enjoy seeing the character around for my 28 year old life. Sure I'll nitpick the game when it's need but an of creator still is far from a reason. A bad ost. A bad bug or glitch  or no news are bad reasons. But so far this game is looking decent at least not expecting some ffxv  hyped up type of game

Lol, these are no where near KH3 expectations and wishes people are asking for. Trust me on that. These are two completely different games with different fans and different receptions. Perhaps,PERHAPS you'd have an argument with (game that shall not be named) 3 being similar to KH3, but a bland looking Sonic game that yet again is dividing fans? It's not like the expectations are set that high for people that want a decent game that can appeal to people without splitting up the game 

7 minutes ago, Josh said:

My entire Twitter timeline has basically mocked the whole thing due to the infamy of the series OC community. Discord servers I've stay in and have pretty much just written it off as another gimmicky Sonic game. This the only place that's even had some bit of positivity that isnt ironic.

Like, everyone even tells me they should just focus on Mania lol.

• Thumbs Up 6

I've seen a lot of positive buzz on twitter and from a few friends but I have to remember a lot of those people were already Sonic fans. My perception might be kind of skewed.

I've only told my brother about it IRL and he just laughed. 

I mean in casual circles titles like Sonic 4 were praised and liked, so I can definitely see the general market loving this 

I think we're at a point in Sonic's lifespan into the boost era that people aren't going to be completely off-put by this unless the gameplay is absolutely broken, which it probably won't be. Plus, the OC thing is mainly being taken as a joke which is better than being taken as an affront. But at the same time, I don't think anyone thinks this game is gonna be any kind of contender.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Nepenthe said:

I think we're at a point in Sonic's lifespan into the boost era that people aren't going to be completely off-put by this unless the gameplay is absolutely broken, which it probably won't be. Plus, the OC thing is mainly being taken as a joke which is better than being taken as an affront. But at the same time, I don't think anyone thinks this game is gonna be any kind of contender.

Hence why expect adequate scores in the 6-7 occasional outlier 8 range and not anything off the charts 

Just now, Soniman said:

Hence why expect adequate scores in the 6-7 occasional outlier 8 range and not anything off the charts 

Hopefully more 6s than 7s, heh.

• Thumbs Up 5

Like, I don't want to put down the general market. But they only have a surface level appreciation of the series. Kids see they can make their own character and parents buy it for them. Older fans see Classic Sonic and just think of their nostalgia when played it when he was younger. Same is true with reviewers.

These are likely the people Sega are aiming for. The game will ok to good reviews, and then people will stop caring about it until Sega bust out a new gimmick.

• Thumbs Up 2

28 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

I think if anyone is annoyed by the OC creator then they can just make a blue Hedgehog and pretend he's Dreamcast Sonic.

drp7j.gif

I now officially love you Kaito, think I'll do this myself.

Man of the day there folks. I can tolerate the OC thing now.

• Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

NeoGAF seems mainly off-put by it, either as an actual gimmick or out of ironic fascination due to the "bad OC" angle. I've told two people in real life about it and they both laughed it off. Outside of SSMB I don't get the most glowing impression. At best, it seems inoffensive, and at worst, people are deriding it as stupid.

That's about it. 

I got responses like " my kids will love this " and some laughs from people, but nothing really suggesting ire. Though one of the people were more concerned if the game was going to actually be good , and that's a concern I have as well.  Neogaf is... interesting when it comes to sonic I will say the least

12 minutes ago, Ayliffe said:

why would this game need two dreamcast sonics

Oh boy, not this again.

So yesterday's trailer dropped, and I lost my mind. I have heard arguments made that the Sonic franchise jumped the shark a long time ago, but this is really something else. My sister delicately put it as, "This isn't jumping the shark. This is jumping the whale." I'm truly flabbergasted that SEGA figured that the best way to reintroduce new gameplay styles to the Sonic franchise was by literally making OCs real. The red wolf thing with glasses in the trailer feels so stylistically different from the established cast, it's honestly pretty jarring. I'll definitely echo the comments that it feels very Toontown Online-ish; relatively generic designs built for the express purpose of customization.

But what's worse than the actual design of the thing is the implication that it'll bring to Sonic Forces. It's very apparent that this is basically supposed to be a player self-insert. You know (s)he's going to be the one to get the Sonics out of a jam, becoming best friends with the main cast, and falling into all the trappings that have plagued Sonic fanfiction for years. I know this is similar to what a lot of games like Mass Effect and Fire Emblem have been doing in recent years. Hell, my favorite franchise of all time, Persona, is centered around your self-projection on the main character. But the thing is that SONIC ALREADY HAS AN ESTABLISHED CAST. Like, holy crap, is SEGA THAT desperate to avoid the technicality of having multiple gameplay styles without using the extended cast? And just how is the ending going to go? Is Buddy going to have a heroic sacrifice that leaves Sonic and co. in tears? Will he instead, head off for parts unknown, with the cast proud of everything he did for them? Or hell, maybe SEGA's really banking on this OC thing, and he'll just become part of the regular cast now. From a lore perspective, this has the potential to actively ruin any chance the Sonic franchise ever had of becoming narratively interesting again.

That said, I'm probably going to end up buying the game anyways. The gameplay looks fun, and while I'd still prefer Adventure-style gameplay, it's been six years since the last boost game, so I'll take it. As for what I'll create in the character creator, I'm thinking of trying to recreate this little bugger from the Archie series.

latest?cb=20140429235520

I mean, she's a gadgeteer already, so why not?

• Thumbs Up 7

Well, today my old man almost made me wet myself.

Showed my gramps the new Sonic Forces trailers featuring the Custom Character feature and here is his feedback.

"Why are there three Sonic's?"

"That doesn't look like a Sonic game."

This is a 72 year old man folks. I love em'.

tumblr_mxgnfno2yz1s8ouhxo1_500.gif

• Thumbs Up 9

I'm gonna reiterate how weird it's going to be if we really have our darkest premise in 10 years and then it's just pulverized by the constant presence of Classic Sonic and your avatar character. We already got a hint of this even in the teaser. 

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

I'm gonna reiterate how weird it's going to be if we really have our darkest premise in 10 years and then it's just pulverized by the constant presence of Classic Sonic and your avatar character. We already got a hint of this even in the teaser. 

I'm just worried about them wondering how tacky and pun/hyuck filled they can make the script in a game about the apocalypse.

"It's the end of the world, so we're gonna make it as obnoxious as possible!! Hurp durp hardy har har!!"

After going through the writing of every game after Black Knight, I think I actually prefer games like Mania now where characters just shut up and do cool things and call it a day.

• Thumbs Up 3