Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

I hope the OCs are voiced tbh, two mutes and modern would feel super awkward.  I think the ideal reasonable situation would be a choice between a "cute" and a "serious" voice for both male and female, so they'd need four voice actors to record the same lines altogether.  Couldn't be that huge a deal.  Three voices would be amazing though.

26 minutes ago, Marcello said:

Leotard design? What are you talking about? Off the top of my head, the only character that wears a leotard is Bunnie and she's from about 24 years ago.

Any time a female character was on-screen in the trailer, they were wearing a leotard, suggesting you can't make a "nude" female character, adhering to Sonic character design rules as we know them.  I think they were concerned that the leotard will be mandatory but even if they DO have a non-nude female character rule, it could easily be like PSO2 where the leotard is only there IF nothing else is.  Like in PSO2 you can have your character running around in a tiny bikini if you really want to but they have a generic bodysuit "underneath" that is automatically equipped if you remove everything else and disappears again if you put something back on (unless it's a layered clothing item that requires underwear underneath too).

I mean I'm pretty sure we won't be seeing sexy bikinis in this game but it's still possible it'll be a case of the leotard only being visible if you choose to not equip any clothing that covers their privates... you know, if ANY Sonic characters actually had those.

• Thumbs Up 8

1 hour ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

If the OC is mute, and Classic is mute, that's gonna be kind of a weird dynamic between the three playable characters. I wonder if classic might end up getting a voice, or if you do assign a preset voice to the character you create.

Kinda reminds me of the Sonic and Mario at the Olympic games.
For whatever reason, Nintendo never allows Mario and Luigi to speak real dialogue when they're playable characters, and to accommodate that they made Sonic mute as well. Only Tails was allowed to talk, with otherwise Omochao or a Toad jumping in to talk for Sonic/ Mario. it's really weird.

So...Maybe they make modern Sonic also mute, like how he is here? ^^;

This would be even more out of place and awkward in a more story and drama heavy game then it is in the Olympic games, tough.

I'd have to assume they'll either let Classic Sonic talk this time, this being less meta then Generations, or allow you to pick a voice for your character and have he/she/it at least say one or two basic lines here and there.

Or heck, maybe they're generous and even give you dialogue options like you had in Sonic Chronicles, but that's probably expecting way too much.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Roger_van_der_weide said:

So...Maybe they make modern Sonic also mute, like how he is here? ^^

That'd be even more weird, since this thing seems like it's probably going to be fairly narrative driven, or at least on par with the last few games the current writers have contributed to.

Honestly, they said that The Resistance would communicate with Classic via radio, so this could mean Classic could talk in this.

1 minute ago, Sgt Jack V said:

Honestly, they said that The Resistance would communicate with Classic via radio, so this could mean Classic could talk in this.

Doesn't really add any likelihood to the situation, we don't even know if modern Sonic replies back to the in-gameplay radio messages, let alone Classic.

• Thumbs Up 2

So after putting some thought into this I actually believe that OC/Avatar thing is a good idea. People especially kids love to create stuff I mean just look at Minecraft, Super Mario Maker and the most obvious parallel is Dragon Ball Xenoverse these games are successful for a reason. And let's be real there's a large portion of the internet that create Sonic OCs, I can see this game being a success based of that concept alone. 

My main issue with this so far is really the timing of everything. If this wasn't the first major sonic game we've gotten since Lost World I probably wouldn't have been a bit pessimistic towards the idea when it was first leaked just seems like something they seemed forced to resort to. Also if this thing turns out to be good and well received I'm worried that we'll get another Wisp situation that they'll keep milking the idea to the ground and forgot why they were well received in the first place. 

• Thumbs Up 4

I've said it before and I'll say it again, in trying to appeal to everyone Forces will end up appealing to nobody. Oh I'm sure it'll sell well enough. It looks pretty and parents will buy it for their kids, but 06 sold over a million copies - didn't make it good.

This game screams of focus-tested garbage. 

"Make a game with the Boost, people loved games with the boost"

"Oh and gotta have Classic Sonic in there, all the classic fans will love that - they loved Generations after all"

"Oooh, add in a character creator too, kids'll love that, have you seen all the fan characters online?"

Just want to know who and why. Was it Sonic Team, was it Iizuka, was it some dumbass marketing decision to make a game this incoherent? Don't care about the answer just want to know the reason for this. I don't want the game to fail commercially because I still want Sega to try making 3D Sonic games and not let it fade into sidescrolling obscurity, but I do want there to be some critical backlash, cause that's the only fucking way they'll learn.

• Thumbs Up 2

25 minutes ago, Sgt Jack V said:

I could see that just being your team talking during levels, or they say stuff and he just kinda reacts and doesn't speak back.

But who knows. Didn't they initially want to cast him in Generations but decided not to early on? If so I wouldn't rule it out that they'd consider it again.

Edit: I could see them doing something like Saint's Row where they let you pick between a few different voices, but the OC has dialog throughout the game.

It's kind of funny thinking about it, we've said that so many games post 06 were basically experimental titles for Sonic, with obvious examples being Unleashed and Lost World, but this game is probably the biggest experiment of them all. Sega really has no clue what the Sonic fanbase wants anymore, either that or they assume that the fanbase is so divided that there's no way they can focus on making one gameplay style that'll satisfy everyone, so they just include three different gameplay types all in one. I seriously hope this is the last time we get a game this inconsistent. Sega needs to try to find a gameplay style that can satisfy everyone, not try to please different crowds with different gameplay styles. Hell, I thought that's what Mania was for, to give a game to the classic fans while Forces was for 3D fans? If the games before Forces were trying to be hidden experiments, Sega just threw any subtlety out with this one. 

And the theory that the OC was originally Boom Sonic is definitely a plausible one. I'd love to know what some of the devs behind the game have to say about the thought process behind the character creater was. I'm definitely thankful that Boom Sonic is nowhere near this. I'd much rather play as Coldsteel than that fuck.

• Thumbs Up 2

There have been games that had weirder mixes of stuff like SA1 which had 6 totally different gameplays (maybe Tails' was similar to Sonic, okay), while Forces has 3 Sonic-like gameplays which all focus on platforming, speed and power-ups.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Chameleon94 said:

There have been games that had weirder mixes of stuff like SA1 which had 6 totally different gameplays (maybe Tails' was similar to Sonic, okay), while Forces has 3 Sonic-like gameplays which all focus on platforming, speed and power-ups.

You got me there with Adventure 1, but to be fair, that was the first real attempt to make a 3D sonic game. Still doesn't explain why Big and Gamma were playable, but I'll give them a pass on experimenting with that one. I was referring to games post 06. I probably should have made that a little more obvious.

(Ignore this.)

Edited by [X]

The custom characters have different heights at least, and there is more options that they didn't show.

All we saw were the clothing and acessories. We still haven't seen the real select your species menu.

I hope the resistance has some kind of hideout so you can talk with the members of it.

And I really wouldn't mind a hub world with Sonic Unleashed type of dialogue. No voice acting, just text, separated from cutscenes of course.

You can say that this what I'm saying is not what Sonic The Hedgehog is supposed to be, buuut i dont care.

2 hours ago, Metal Sonic NEGA said:

So, despite my lack of caring about this game now, I did have a thought recently about customisation options. Not for the third wheel, but for Sonic instead.

Remember the custom ability system in Generations? Well, what if Forces had the same thing, but abilities are now tied to cosmetic gear that you can unlock and equip onto Sonic? Not just that, but the items you unlock are various pieces of gear that Sonic has worn over the last 25 years, such as his Riders outfit, or the Soap Shoes, or Chip's bracelet, or the knight's glove from Black Knight. (I'd give some Classic Sonic examples too, but my mind's going blank.)

I doubt that it'll happen, but it would pique my interest a little bit if it did.

To be honest I hate games that tie skills to aesthetics when they let you customise your character, and honestly Sonic has such an appealing, uncomplicated design, I don't wanna cover him in garbage to get minor effects.  I barely used the customisation stuff in Generations as is... most of the overpowering effects just break the level (like they're designed for his regular speed/movements, and shoehorning in extra abilities just breaks the flow constantly unless you're used to those effects and know how to adjust for each individual level).

There should definitely be some kind of perk system to make the game easier for players having trouble though, as well as the "skip section" item capsule from Lost World (though I want that to be a toggle in the options menu this time, I've literally never beaten the second pinball table in Frozen Factory because I find it hard and I can never avoid the skip item capsule when it appears).

• Thumbs Up 7

Now that some days have passed, I propose you all to stop and think a bit more rationally about the custom hero feature. Do you think it is good or bad and why? In which ways could it add to/detract from the game?

It would be better to ignore all those who laugh at "cringey OCs", because such things coming from suppossedly adult and rational people doesn't deserve anything more. I definitely feel like this thing can add to the game, starting with just replay value. And it's a very common thing in games of today.

11 minutes ago, Ajavalo said:

Now that some days have passed, I propose you all to stop and think a bit more rationally about the custom hero feature. Do you think it is good or bad and why? In which ways could it add to/detract from the game?

It would be better to ignore all those who laugh at "cringey OCs", because such things coming from suppossedly adult and rational people doesn't deserve anything more. I definitely feel like this thing can add to the game, starting with just replay value. And it's a very common thing in games of today.

Like, you just kinda need to read the thread, people have been making their cases plenty already over the last 10 or so pages.  It's not like these were gut reactions either since the possibility of a character creator has been discussed for weeks and weeks now.

• Thumbs Up 4

4 minutes ago, Ajavalo said:

It's still awful, because it feels like it'll end up being a bunch of scattershot gimmicks without a clear gameplay concept at the core, wrapped up as a gimmick 3rd gameplay style for a series that still hasn't figured out how to support itself on one solid idea. The species they chose are boring and it seems like you'll just end up with the same dozen or so generic looking characters with different accessories tacked on. And you say we should ignore people who mock Sonic fan characters, but this is still making the series and fanbase look even more embarrassing to anyone looking in from outside whether we acknowledge them or not, which is really not what the series needs right now.

• Thumbs Up 6

28 minutes ago, Ajavalo said:

I don't want to be rude, but people are repeating themselves over and over again with this kind of questions.

And with all of this negativity, I think is kinda unnecessary.

One thing I just figured about the OC is that since it looks like he/she's going to be playing in Modern Sonic stages, and he/she has more of a Colours approach, like the secondary acts, it means that the levels cannot be built like they were in Generations or Unleashed.

It means that there's sections where the secondary character will be doing nothing but running slowly than Modern Sonic, and there's going to be sections where Modern Sonic has to be slowed down because of clunky platforming that has to be there for the OC.

This is the same problem we have with classic, this game is going for too much and it will probably please no one in the end.

Just make a boost game for the boost fans, ffs. Pick your audience, you won't please anybody while trying to please everybody.

It's an idea that just doesn't add much. That's my verdict after sitting on it for a while. I don't really care enough to be that angry at it but it doesn't make me all that excited either. It's just kind of confusing that this is what they decided to pour resources toward in the face of everything that's been going on with the franchise.

It's clear to me that it pleases a niche of the fanbase,  and I'm glad somebody's happy. I'm sure as hell not, though. As a consumer this game still gets a thumbs down from me. 

10 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

One thing I just figured about the OC is that since it looks like he/she's going to be playing in Modern Sonic stages, and he/she has more of a Colours approach, like the secondary acts, it means that the levels cannot be built like they were in Generations or Unleashed.

It means that there's sections where the secondary character will be doing nothing but running slowly than Modern Sonic, and there's going to be sections where Modern Sonic has to be slowed down because of clunky platforming that has to be there for the OC.

This is the same problem we have with classic, this game is going for too much and it will probably please no one in the end.

Just make a boost game for the boost fans, ffs. Pick your audience, you won't please anybody while trying to please everybody.

I don't think this is how it will be.  The building with the huge circular hole in it appears in both the OC gameplay footage and the Modern Sonic clips in the trailer.  The OC swings through it from the top, while Modern Sonic is shown taking a grind rail towards it in the opposite direction.

It looks like there may be crossover between the maps, with some shared sections, but the OC and Modern Sonic will have their own routes through the stages, that skip areas that aren't built to accomodate both.

• Thumbs Up 8

Just now, JezMM said:

I don't think this is how it will be.  The building with the huge circular hole in it appears in both the OC gameplay footage and the Modern Sonic clips in the trailer.  The OC swings through it from the top, while Modern Sonic is shown taking a grind rail towards it in the opposite direction.

It looks like there may be crossover between the maps, with some shared sections, but the OC and Modern Sonic will have their own routes through the stages, that skip areas that aren't built to accomodate both.

It could be, but as of now the only difference we saw was in an automated section. Besides, the alternate routes we saw at the bottom must be designed to accomodate both characters too, so I think that there's a good chance the whole level'll be like that. Sonic has a grind rail at that spot because he has no grappling hook.

• Thumbs Up 1

I heard that the OC will have it's separate mode like Knuckles in Sonic 3 and Knuckles.