Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

Just now, Shaddy the guy said:

His jumps are exactly the same as in Generations, so no, no he doesn't. He also doesn't really slow down after boosts at all.

Do you need a refresher on the gameplay or something?

Classic's physics are $100% the same as in Generations.

Hey, if you can't see what's in front of you, I can't help it. His mechanics in Forces have been pointed out in detail time and time again.

He seems slower and more jerky than before, which is most evident when you see how much his speed vanishes post-boost pad.

They're not the same as Generations but they're close enough that you can tell its probably a similar engine. They don't remind me of Lost World's (lack of) physics at all.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

I wager it's because most of the people who originally made Sonic huffed off and left after being told they can't make original stuff like Billy Hatcher and NiGHTS anymore.

Naka, Yasuhara and Oshima are gone. The majority of Sonic Team are either fuddie duddies who did object placement and are now leadership with no major input beyond "make this" or new young adults who remember playing Sonic on the Mega Drive but may not know or care much about how Sonic original controlled. 

The staff in todays Sonic Team is mostly of the Saturn era onwards. So for NiGHTS, about mid level lead staff is still at Sega (Iizuka and Hoshino), while I'm pretty sure most of Billy Hatcher staff is also still at Sega (fun fact alot of that staff made the fantastic Sonic 06, thank you Nakamura)

The only person who may have an understanding of classic Sonic physics is Tetsu Katano, as he was involved as the second lead programmer in Sonic Jam. I covered this in the topic I made: 

They are experienced with everything that was entailed in the Sonic Adventure series onwards, but before that, they got nothing. The lead programmer who implemented the physics in Sonic Advance, is sadly no longer with Sonic Team (and it is unknown where he is).

3 minutes ago, Josh said:

They're not the same as Generations but they're close enough that you can tell its probably a similar engine. They don't remind me of Lost World's (lack of) physics at all.

I still say there's enough differences to think something is up. I think it's possible they're porting whatever they used for Sonic in Lost World into Forces for the Classic game play sections and tweaking it.

But... I'm a clueless S-O-B as far as that's concerned. It's just speculation on my end.

Just now, Chris Knopps said:

I still say there's enough differences to think something is up. I think it's possible they're porting whatever they used for Sonic in Lost World into Forces for the Classic game play sections.

But... I'm a clueless S-O-B as far as that concerned. It's just speculation on my end.

There's been talk from day one that the physics look worse. I think the Lost World comparison is a bit of a jump though. I wouldn't take a hard stance on something like that without more evidence.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Hey, if you can't see what's in front of you, I can't help it. His mechanics in Forces have been pointed out in detail time and time again.

He seems slower and more jerky than before, which is most evident when you see how much his speed vanishes post-boost pad.

Please point out to me what I'm supposed to be "seeing" here, that you didn't just make up to avoid any attempts to prove you wrong. Where in this entire video does he abruptly lose tons of speed without being interrupted by a spring? The zoom tubes already put him way above top-speed, so that doesn't count, and everywhere else in the video it's either retained or interrupted by a spring, which, I may add, have killed your momentum since Generations.

Hint: the answer is nowhere because it doesn't happen. Whether the physics are different, maybe, not enough to really seem significant, but it's more than obviously not Lost World at all, if you've ever actually played Lost World.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Josh said:

There's been talk from day one that the physics look worse. I think the Lost World comparison is a bit of a jump though. I wouldn't take a hard stance on something like that without more evidence.

One thing that makes me find it possible is how... If I'm not mistaken here... Staff mentioned it's something like difficult/impossible to make proper Classic game play using what they have for Modern game play.

So perhaps with two engines for the game play, it's the usual one for boost Sonic while Classic is getting a modified Lost World thing supporting it, hoping for a better outcome...

Why would they do that though? They already had something in Generations.

Yet somehow Forces looks even more negative.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Why would they do that though?

Simple: they aren't doing that, and it's more than clear that they aren't doing that.

10 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

It's the same answer as to the question of "Why do they do anything?" basically.

I/We just don't know.

w2697wR.jpg

• Thumbs Up 6

2 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Why would they do that though? They already had something in Generations.

Yet somehow Forces looks even more negative.

It's the same answer as to the question of "Why do they do anything?" basically.

I/We just don't know.

15 minutes ago, Shaddy the guy said:

Simple: they aren't doing that, and it's more than clear that they aren't doing that.

w2697wR.jpg

Aww, I love you Shaddy.

large.gif

I just think we might be getting a tweaked Lost World engine of sorts tossed into Forces for the Classic Sonic stages. It's probably not the case, it's just how the game play looks to me so far considering Classic and Modern just seem more far apart in this game than in Generations, they don't look like they're working by using the same thing this time.

I'm probably wrong.

So are you all ready for more clues? 

• Thumbs Up 4

Sooo, as mentioned before it seems that there will be article of clothing of existing Sonic characters that you can put on your OC (i.e Tails' shoes, Amy's shoes, Amy's dress). So, does that mean that every character will get some type of clothing of an existing character or will it be a select amount? Will there be skins for the existing characters as well? It's a definite possibility. And will there be more animal species down the line? People have been wanting to make Bats, Foxes, Echidnas (despite Knuckles being the last one, lol), reptiles, and what I wanted to be, a monkey. Maybe there'll be some type of DLC, or maybe skins related to the genus of the animal. Like say for instance, the cat will have a Lion Skin, Lepard Skin, or Cheetah Skin. The bird could have a hawk skin, swallow skin, albatross skin (reference was definitely intentional). And so on...

Sorry if it seems like I am asking so many questions. Just want to break the ice from all the Forces bickering.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, blazefan519 said:

Sooo, as mentioned before it seems that there will be article of clothing of existing Sonic characters that you can put on your OC (i.e Tails' shoes, Amy's shoes, Amy's dress). So, does that mean that every character will get some type of clothing of an existing character or will it be a select amount? Will there be skins as well? It's a definite possibility. And will there be more animal species down the line? People have been wanting to make Bats, Foxes, Echidnas (despite Knuckles being the last one, lol), reptiles, and what I wanted to be, a monkey. Maybe there'll be some type of DLC, or maybe skins related to the genus of the animal. Like say for instance, the cat will have a Lion Skin, Lepard Skin, or Cheetah Skin. The bird could have a hawk skin, swallow skin, albatross skin (reference was definitely intentional). And so on...

DLC is probably the biggest missed opportunity for the series from Generations onwards. Extra clothes, characters, species, gadgets and levels are something that would totally improve this game and I would totally buy, as I would have since Generations. Extra cosmetic stuff for the OC characters would probably be the easiest to create, so if anything's gonna happen, it'll probably be that. Maybe it'll become hat simulator 2017 and topple TF2 from it's throne, heh.

(it will not do that)

And hey, don't apologize. You're promoting genuine discussion in a thread full of as much negativity as Rise of Lyric despite the ocean of qualitative difference between that game and this. There's pretty much no better type of post to make in this thread.

• Thumbs Up 5

Oh Aaron, I do love your positivity and your status as Meme Lord, but unless it's Mania related it's not worth the brainpower to decode the clues anymore. Fun or not. 

• Thumbs Up 7

4 minutes ago, Shaddy the guy said:

DLC is probably the biggest missed opportunity for the series from Generations onwards. Extra clothes, characters, species, gadgets and levels are something that would totally improve this game and I would totally buy, as I would have since Generations. Extra cosmetic stuff for the OC characters would probably be the easiest to create, so if anything's gonna happen, it'll probably be that. Maybe it'll become hat simulator 2017 and topple TF2 from it's throne, heh.

(it will not do that)

And hey, don't apologize. You're promoting genuine discussion in a thread full of as much negativity as Rise of Lyric despite the ocean of qualitative difference between that game and this. There's pretty much no better type of post to make in this thread.

Oh yes definitely. The fact that Generations had no DLC made absolutely no sense, and just upset me. More species and more customization options for Clothes and such, maybe more wisps for the wispons too. Stages doesn't seem likely, considering the fact Gens didn't get any, but it'd be awesome if we did.

And thanks man. I do kinda feel out of place being one of the few that are still somewhat excited for the game, so it always felt necessary to come up with some disussion so it doesn't feel like a funeral everytime I come here.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, Nepenthe said:

Again, I don't think OC creators are suddenly entitled to Sonic Team's blessing and acknowledgement just because they make OCs. 

What you don't understand is that the OC Sonic fans don't require a blessing nor are they entitled, they do however deserve your respect for being a legitimate and considerable part of the Sonic fanbase. Don't forget that Sonic fans have been making OCs since the 90s; to try and push these fans away goes against the nature of the Sonic fanbase as a whole. Sonic Forces simply taps into that enthusiasm for OCs which has always existed, that has endured undiminished despite a concerted effort to mock Sonic fans for their interests. This is why the character creator is going to help Sonic Forces succeed; no amount of blind hatred can deny that the chance to create official OCs is a really fun idea.

Just now, Nepenthe said:

It is not disrespectful nor delegitimizing to say that certain aspects or activities by the fanbase don't necessarily deserve in-game representation or acknowledgement, and you also believe this is the case because you've already implied you don't believe fetish material should be in the games.

You're showing disrespect now as well, by dismissing all OCs as 'fetish material’. It's insane that some within the Sonic fanbase would go to such lengths to condemn OCs and other similar fan art, when such sincere expressions of creativity are a part of just about every fanbase on the internet. There is nothing immoral about wanting to create a anthropomorphic animal character in the style of the Sonic universe, to believe otherwise speaks more of your own prejudices on the matter then it does anyone who creates an OC. Those Sonic fans who create OCs deserve your respect anything; it shouldn't have taken Sonic Forces to give this large part of the Sonic fanbase the extra recognition needed to have another discussion of this matter.

10 minutes ago, Kintor said:

You're showing disrespect now as well, by dismissing all OCs as 'fetish material’.

Reading comprehension is not your forte'.

There is nothing immoral about wanting to create a anthropomorphic animal character in the style of the Sonic universe, to believe otherwise speaks more of your own prejudices on the matter then it does anyone who creates an OC.

Literally the only one who has been bringing morality into this situation is you because you are disturbingly desperate to give people who want this idea, or indeed anyone who merely makes an OC (which again ironically includes me) some sort of inalienable high ground in this discussion to give the gimmick more legitimacy than it deserves. You've elevated this conversation into ethical considerations that are irrelevant all because you can't be content that I and others don't like it. This goes back again to when I said you have a habit of making threads about you.

Those Sonic fans who create OCs deserve your respect anything;

No one inherently deserves respect just for making art.

it shouldn't have taken Sonic Forces to give this large part of the Sonic fanbase the extra recognition needed to have another discussion of this matter.

Why the hell do they need "recognition?"

• Thumbs Up 6

Just now, Nepenthe said:

No one inherently deserves respect just for making art.

Sonic fans most certainly do deserve respect for wanting to make OCs and other similar fan art, just like fans in other fanbase. Give people the benefit of the doubt and allow them to express their creativity. As opposed to treating anyone with an OC like a pariah, as you dismiss everyone with an OC as having an interest in 'fetish material'. Then you'll the community of Sonic fans continue to grow, as a little bit of harmless creativity becomes a regular topic of conversation free of recrimination and the usual slander that trolls reserve for Sonic fans of all kinds.

Just now, Kintor said:

Sonic fans most certainly do deserve respect for wanting to make OCs and other similar fan art, just like fans in other fanbase.

Respect is earned by one's personality and deeds towards others, not whether or not they make art. I don't respect certain film makers like Polanski who have assaulted others just because they make films.

Just now, Kintor said:

Give people the benefit of the doubt and allow them to express their creativity.

I've done nothing in this thread or real life to prevent anyone from making an OC.

Just now, Kintor said:

As opposed to treating anyone with an OC like a pariah, as you dismiss everyone with an OC as having an interest in 'fetish material'.

You still haven't practiced proper reading comprehension if you think the bolded is what I said. Read the original sentence again carefully, then get back to me.

Just now, Kintor said:

Then you'll the community of Sonic fans continue to grow, as a little bit of harmless creativity becomes a regular topic of conversation free of recrimination and the usual slander that trolls reserve for Sonic fans of all kinds.

Why are you still making this out into some sort of ethical culture war?

• Thumbs Up 6

1 minute ago, Nepenthe said:

Respect is earned by one's personality and deeds towards others, not whether or not they make art. I don't respect certain film makers like Polanski who have assaulted others just because they make films.

What, are you seriously bringing up the Roman Polanski case in a conversation about fan characters on the internet? That just lowers the whole tone of this conversation and really doesn't have anything to do with the subject at hand. There is great deal difference between a predatory Hollywood alumni and a Sonic fan who just wants to share their work for free over the internet.

You should show respect to Sonic fans who want to make OCs because its’s the right thing to do as a member of the Sonic fanbase and as a member of the community. Trust people to show good judgement when the they make OCs, to create something that matches the style of the Sonic games while still expressing their own creative ideas on what a new Sonic character could sincerely look like. Nobody gets hurt and the reputation of the Sonic franchise remains untarnished.

1 hour ago, Tenko said:

Oh Aaron, I do love your positivity and your status as Meme Lord, but unless it's Mania related it's not worth the brainpower to decode the clues anymore. Fun or not. 

I dunno...

Some will be interested I'm sure but...

He'll probably tell the lack of interest pretty quick nonetheless.

2 minutes ago, Kintor said:

You should show respect to Sonic fans who want to make OCs because its’s the right thing to do as a member of the Sonic fanbase and as a member of the community.

There's no right or wrong in this context, because who cares if fans make OCs, really?