Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

Now the real question is... whether it is used for good... or evil... :V

The whole situation is cause for evil

27 minutes ago, The Deleter said:

whether it is used for good... or evil... :V

Yes. 

1 hour ago, Kintor said:

The fact that Nintendo is still looking to get these social media features implemented is the lagging problem I'm referring to. This kind of basic online functionality should've been taken carebof before launch. As it stands there's no garuntee that the Switch will be up to o standard by the time that Sonic Forces is released.

And yet sharing screenshots works now. So I'm not really seeing your point. 

1 hour ago, Kintor said:

On the contrary, getting people to talk about their Sonic Forces OCs online via social  media is pretty much the whole point of the character creator. There's already considerable precedent for this in the way the Sonic fans are have always been eager to talk about their OC fan art online. This character creator just makes whole conversation bigger snd louder, by enabling people who can't draw to mske OCs as well.

It's obvious that some players are going to share their OCs, but is that going to actually make people want to buy the game to make their own? The custom hero thing caused a lot of buzz, but a lot of it was just people joking about terrible and uncreative deviantart characters. I feel like the creator's going to have to be a lot more varied and interesting than it looks to actually get people talking about it in a positive way- especially with non-Sonic fans.

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

Or they might, there seems to be some draw in that with things like Xenoverse or mmos. But those are usually on like forums dedicated to such things, though sonic like DBZ might be more on the social media forefront than say or average mmo, so there might be some value in something like that. 

I've seen a few people use Dragon Ball Xenoverse as an example of a CC generating discussion, but I dunno, that feels like a different case. DB fan characters don't have the same stigma attached to them as Sonic ones. Toriyama's art is pretty widely liked, and the fictional races represented in the game are all more varied and have unique histories throughout the anime and manga. Characters are projects that you build and level and re-equip over the course of the game, allowing them to not just look, but play differently from each other. I don't really know if Sonic's going to tap into that same audience. 

34 minutes ago, Solly said:

It's obvious that some players are going to share their OCs, but is that going to actually make people want to buy the game to make their own? The custom hero thing caused a lot of buzz, but a lot of it was just people joking about terrible and uncreative deviantart characters. I feel like the creator's going to have to be a lot more varied and interesting than it looks to actually get people talking about it in a positive way- especially with non-Sonic fans.

Like I've said, Sega doesn't need to find an audience for OCs when that audience already exists. All pop culture fanbases create their fair share of fan art, it just so happens that due to the sheer size of the Sonic fanbase OC fan art is perhaps more prevelant then any other community on the internet. It probably helps that the Sonic art style, with its emphasis on clear details and bright colours, lends itself well to an endless array of anthropomorphic fan characters.

There will always be a few who seek to mock the Sonic fanbase for showing such an interest in OCs but such scorn has never been able to slow the rate at which new Sonic fan art is produced. If anything the meme-tastic nature of Sonic OCs is just going to help the popularity of Sonic Forces. The internet loves its memes and a character creator in Sonic Forces is the perfect way for everybody to share in that Sonic OC meme in the most positive manner possible.

Besides, there's also the wild card of Zootopia fans. That movie was a massive hit and has caused a real surge in interest for anything to do with anthropomophic animals. I wouldn't be suprised if more then a few Zootopia-ish fans buy Sonic Forces just so they can create their own anthro characters.

That's complete nonsense. People don't buy things just because of general theme similarity and nothing else, especially one as broad as "animal people".

Like, I think One Piece is the best thing ever, that doesn't mean I'm going to the next Pirates of the Caribbean just because they both have pirates in them, I jumped off that boat after the third one was fucking terrible (no pun intended).

• Thumbs Up 5

5 minutes ago, Kintor said:

Like I've said, Sega doesn't need to find an audience for OCs when that audience already exists. All pop culture fanbases create their fair share of fan art, it just so happens that due to the sheer size of the Sonic fanbase OC fan art is perhaps more prevelant then any other community on the internet. It probably helps that the Sonic art style, with its emphasis on clear details and bright colours, lends itself well to an endless array of anthropomorphic fan characters.

There will always be a few who seek to mock the Sonic fanbase for showing such an interest in OCs but such scorn has never been able to slow the rate at which new Sonic fan art is produced. If anything the meme-tastic nature of Sonic OCs is just going to help the popularity of Sonic Forces. The internet loves its memes and a character creator in Sonic Forces is the perfect way for everybody to share in that Sonic OC meme in the most positive manner possible.

Besides, there's also the wild card of Zootopia fans. That movie was a massive hit and has caused a real surge in interest for anything to do with anthropomophic animals. I wouldn't be suprised if more then a few Zootopia-ish fans buy Sonic Forces just so they can create their own anthro characters.

anigif_enhanced-18912-1463756410-11.gif

Whoo boy...

You're bringing that/them into this thread?

Gonna need the strong stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Shaddy the guy said:

That's complete nonsense. People don't buy things just because of general theme similarity and nothing else, especially one as broad as "animal people".

Like, I think One Piece is the best thing ever, that doesn't mean I'm going to the next Pirates of the Caribbean just because they both have pirates in them, I jumped off that boat after the third one was fucking terrible (no pun intended).

Hey, I went out a bought a copy of Red Dead Redemption: Game of the Year Edition after Marathoning every episode of Westworld late last year. Sometimes you just get hyped-up about something and need an outlet. Video games are perfect for that, especially cross media.

Until someone manages to build Westworld for real Red Dead Redemption is a good fix. I've no doubt we might see a similar affect with Sonic Forces thanks to its character creator. Zootopia fans need a new digital outlet for their obsession, especially since support for Disney Infinity has ended, Sonic Forces can be that outlet.

[Also, seriously watch Westworld if you haven't already. It's one of the most amazing TV shows ever made.]

3 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

Whoo boy...

You're bringing that/them into this thread?

Gonna need the strong stuff.

Drink up! Their money is just as good as anybody else’s. There's nothing stopping the Zootopia crowd from buying Sonic Forces. :lol:

Not that there isn't already considerable overlap between those like draw Sonic characters and those that draw Zootopia characters, when styles are still about anthropomorphic animals.

1 hour ago, Kintor said:

Hey, I went out a bought a copy of Red Dead Redemption: Game of the Year Edition after Marathoning every episode of Westworld late last year. Sometimes you just get hyped-up about something and need an outlet. Video games are perfect for that, especially cross media.

Until someone manages to build Westworld for real Red Dead Redemption is a good fix. I've no doubt we might see a similar affect with Sonic Forces thanks to its character creator. Zootopia fans need a new digital outlet for their obsession, especially since support for Disney Infinity has ended, Sonic Forces can be that outlet.

[Also, seriously watch Westworld if you haven't already. It's one of the most amazing TV shows ever made.]

Drink up! Their money is just as good as anybody else’s. There's nothing stopping the Zootopia crowd from buying Sonic Forces. :lol:

Not that there isn't already considerable overlap between those like draw Sonic characters and those that draw Zootopia characters, when styles are still about anthropomorphic animals.

Stop...Please just stop!

I know I'm wasting my time with you but please stop stereotyping people, i'm not even mad, its just annoying!

People aren't as stupid as your making them out to be, yes sometimes people just waste money on games just because (mind you its still stupid and shouldn't be justified) but you can't rely on that when making a profit on a whole bunch of people. There are better ways of doing that.

Like...companies that do do that succesfully have good marketing and all that, so even if they are taking advantage of people, its still "smart" in a sense.

(also not all fans of Zootopia are furries and likewise not all furries went to see Zootopia...same goes for Forces.)

Of course this is all going to go over your head and your just gonna ignore my points...

oh my gosh what have I done!

Character creators also seldom act as a draw to a game. It's a ho-hum feature that has been bog standard in games for a long time now. The only time it's a point of interest is when it lets you do something especially crazy, or when it's ludicrously deep like Black Desert (ironically, it's the only part of that game that is engaging!) We don't know the full breadth of what you can do with Force's CaC feature, but from the brief look we got, it does seem to largely be prefab elements that you cycle through, and nobody really gets jazzed up about those.

I think at best it'll just be an innocuous feature like most other CaC's are. At worst it'll be a point of mockery because ~cultural reasons~

1 hour ago, Alienrun said:

Stop...Please just stop!

I know I'm wasting my time with you but please stop stereotyping people, i'm not even mad, its just annoying!

People aren't as stupid as your making them out to be, yes sometimes people just waste money on games just because (mind you its still stupid and shouldn't be justified) but you can't rely on that when making a profit on a whole bunch of people. There are better ways of doing that.

Like...companies that do do that succesfully have good marketing and all that, so even if they are taking advantage of people, its still "smart" in a sense.

(also not all fans of Zootopia are furries and likewise not all furries went to see Zootopia...same goes for Forces.)

There's nothing wrong with buying a game unrelated to another interest if you find something similar between the both of them. I'm far from the only person to notice the similarities between Westworld and Red Dead Redemption, nor was I the only person last year to dust-off that game or even play it for the first time thanks to the enthusiasm Westworld inspired for that kind of Wild West 'open world adventure' environment.

The same can be absolutely true of Sonic Forces as well, the game itself is first and foremost for Sonic fans but that doesn't prevent other people from buying Sonic Forces if they find something of value in its concepts. I mentioned Zootopia because it's a relatively straightforward example, the visual parallels between the anthropomorphic animals in both franchises is an easy way to find common ground. To that end, people who like creating and playing as their own anthropomorphic animals will naturally been keen to give Sonic Forces a go and create their own OCs.

I mean, if nothing else the success of Zootopia itself, as one of the most popular animated movies of all time, should do much to dispel any lingering concerns about how Sonic Forces’ character has been received by gamers. People are certainly more comfortable talking about anthro characters in public, whether directly related to Zootopia or otherwise. A rising tide lifts all boats, as the old saying goes, the efforts that Zootopia has made to normalise discussions of anthro characters has also directly benefited the Sonic franchise and the Sonic fanbase. The act of creating Sonic OCs is more socially acceptable today in 2017 (post-Zootopia) then at any point in the last decade.

33 minutes ago, JezMM said:

Zootopia has NONE of the stigma attached to it that the Sonic franchise does, it was a powerful (for an all-ages title) film that used an animal setting to tell a story reflective of segregation and bigotry in our own society.  Sonic is a typical good vs evil superhero adventure which dabbles in unique dramatic themes on occasion for story variety's sake but not much more.

To suggest that the positive reception to Zootopia is somehow going to affect this game in any significant way is as daft as suggesting that Zootopia was a big risk because of the state the Sonic series was in at the time and people might not be okay with an animal cast because of that - Sonic was and still is a much more recognisable franchise than Zootopia after all.

Also just, the general grouping together of the two because "animal characters" is as surface-level reaction-based as the blundering Dad who buys his son a hentai DVD because "you like these animanga chinese cartoons don'tcha son?  I got you another one."  Animal characters is not a genre like wild west action romps are.

The point I'm making is that this supposed 'stigma' about Sonic OCs is an overblown joke, it's not worth worrying about it and it certainly won't have an impact on the success of Sonic Forces. None of the slander aimed at Sonic fans over the years has done anything to diminish the creation of new Sonic OC fan art, which is to expected - a few comments from random trolls and the occasionally click-baiting media outlet isn't going to stop Sonic fans from doing what they are passionate about.

Nevertheless, it's worth taking a greater perspective at the internet as a whole to realise just how ridiculous this idea of a 'stigma' is in the first place. Here is where the comparison to Zootopia becomes particularly relevant. The positive reception of Zootopia has gone a long way towards silence all trollish comments aimed at any fanbase that is associated with anthropomorphic animal characters. That in the end, nobody cared that the story in Zootopia was about anthro characters, least of all the people excited to be talking about the film.

This goes a long way to explaining why the Sonic Forces character creation announcement has been so positively received by gamers and the community at large. Nobody is seriously horrified at the thought of official Sonic OC characters, the Sonic OC meme has taken on a life of its own and is now essentially immune to slander and criticism, like any good meme should be. People are just excited about having fun messy around with the character creator in Sonic Forces; it's a common point of enthusiasm that's shared between Sonic fans, meme loving gamers and even anyone else with an interest in creating their own digital anthro characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

So a question. Why do people hate sonic ocs.  honest to god I'm just curious. On YouTube many seem to like it but a few here seem I said seem to not or ate upset over it

• Thumbs Up 3

17 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

So a question. Why do people hate sonic ocs.  honest to god I'm just curious. On YouTube many seem to like it but a few here seem I said seem to not or ate upset over it

They have a bad reputation for gross furry art, poorly written fanfics and terrible clichés. The internet is rife with recolours too, normally from the younger crowd. A number of them roll off of that awful character creator and they're just not enjoyable to anyone but those within the community. People are of course free to enjoy them as they wish.

Even if you were to ignore all of that and pretend that every single fancharacter was good, they're a part of a subset community and hobby that doesn't appeal to everyone. Fan characters have a history of self-insertion, exposition and indulgence that people don't. There's also the issue of Sonic being a character-driven series. The OCs in this game are undermining that. I want to spend more time with the characters I care about, not "Your Name the Hedgehog" who's going to be treated as a blank-state avatar by the game. After years of all of these characters that I love being cast aside, they're adding insult to injury by adding in "you" as a character. What a crock of shit.

In fact, I said all of this before in a post that you still never responded to...

On 2017-5-17 at 5:36 PM, Blue Blood said:

Look, I like the Sonic series for its gameplay and it's characters - that includes everything from their personalities to their abilities to the designs. I have no desire whatsoever to see custom characters make an appearance alongside the canon cast because Sonic isn't a series where I want to see myself in the experience or put my own stamp on things. It's so upsetting to see this take presidence over the things I've always loved about the series, not least because those things have already been sidelined so much in this past decade.

The custom character designs really seem to be breaking the mold of Sonic character design, and not in a good way; seeing them adorned in all manner of clothing, colours and accessories is jarring. It doesn't feel like it belongs. They stop looking like carefully designed characters and become very bland and non-descript anthros. I can't help but feel that I'm looking at Toontown Online here. 

Speaking of Toontown, I can only reiterate that I feel such an approach would have been better for Forces. I can imagine it going down really well if it was kept as a separate branch to the main series rather than being a catch-all in a vain attempt to engage as many people as possible instead of actually showing the confidence, drive and passion to fix this tarnished franchise. SEGA have chosen not to improve Sonic, but change it instead. There's absolutely no reason to have put Sonic, yet alone Classic Sonic as well, in this title other than to try to appease fans in a very shallow way and because of a lack of confidence in their ideas or capabilities to pull them off well. I feel it's totally missing the point, which has been a recurring theme now for longer than I care to remember. As it's own endeavour that's set in the Sonic universe with familiar gameplay and elements but none of the existing cast, Forces would be able to stand out as something very bold. Instead, it feels like a focus group produced product. I'm not getting any sense of this game being a passion project from Sonic Team.

The character creator looks like it's going to be fun for those that want it, and I think they're smart to include it in some capacity. 

The boost gameplay is going to please fans who want that. 

The Classic gameplay is going to please the reviewers by its presence, but has already struck a bum-note with many. Part of me wonders if Mania was pushed for by SoA because they had some serious doubts about Forces. We've heard it before that Forces is for everyone and Mania is for the fans

I do not like this game.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, Kintor said:

The point I'm making is that this supposed 'stigma' about Sonic OCs is an overblown joke, it's not worth worrying about it and it certainly won't have an impact on the success of Sonic Forces. None of the slander aimed at Sonic fans over the years has done anything to diminish the creation of new Sonic OC fan art, which is to expected - a few comments from random trolls and the occasionally click-baiting media outlet isn't going to stop Sonic fans from doing what they are passionate about.

Nevertheless, it's worth taking a greater perspective at the internet as a whole to realise just how ridiculous this idea of a 'stigma' is in the first place. Here is where the comparison to Zootopia becomes particularly relevant. The positive reception of Zootopia has gone a long way towards silence all trollish comments aimed at any fanbase that is associated with anthropomorphic animal characters. That in the end, nobody cared that the story in Zootopia was about anthro characters, least of all the people excited to be talking about the film.

This goes a long way to explaining why the Sonic Forces character creation announcement has been so positively received by gamers and the community at large. Nobody is seriously horrified at the thought of official Sonic OC characters, the Sonic OC meme has taken on a life of its own and is now essentially immune to slander and criticism, like any good meme should be. People are just excited about having fun messy around with the character creator in Sonic Forces; it's a common point of enthusiasm that's shared between Sonic fans, meme loving gamers and even anyone else with an interest in creating their own digital anthro characters.

Like... here's the thing though, there was never any stigma about Zootopia because people didn't see it as a furry thing like the internet has given Sonic.  Nobody was ever concerned about it having animal characters because animated films have always had animal characters.

The stigma is purely around Sonic and an overblown joke is still overblown and very visible.  You're not wrong about a lot of what you said here but I don't think it's going to make people care about Sonic Forces.  It's just another Sonic game to them and "lol they actually did an OC making thing wow".  That's the vast majority opinion I'm seeing.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 minute ago, JezMM said:

Like... here's the thing though, there was never any stigma about Zootopia because people didn't see it as a furry thing like the internet has given Sonic. 

Whet? The moment the teaser trailer busted out the word "anthropomorphic," which is a term that sees the most use in the furry community, the furry aspect became a noticeable focal point of a lot of online discussion. Honestly, it was only until reviews poured in that I saw excitement for it and people treating it with the reverence the story deserved. But even then, let's not also forget the stories of the salacious fan art and fursuit premieres (I attended the latter; don't judge me). Zootopia is definitely seen as furry fodder- "the new generation's Robin Hood or Lion King"- or at least pandering to that subculture. But it rises above it all because it stands apart as its own quality work of art- relatively easy for any property to do honestly since a talking animal is not a unique or difficult concept to the furry subculture. I would wager that is Sonic's biggest issue- it doesn't rise above the insinuations and jokes through its own foibles.

7 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

Whet? The moment the teaser trailer busted out the word "anthropomorphic," which is a term that sees the most use in the furry community, the furry aspect became a noticeable focal point of a lot of online discussion. Honestly, it was only until reviews poured in that I saw excitement for it and people treating it with the reverence the story deserved. But even then, let's not also forget the stories of the salacious fan art and fursuit premieres (I attended the latter; don't judge me). Zootopia is definitely seen as furry fodder- "the new generation's Robin Hood or Lion King"- or at least pandering to that subculture. But it rises above it all because it stands apart as its own quality work of art- relatively easy for any property to do honestly since a talking animal is not a unique or difficult concept to the furry subculture. I would wager that is Sonic's biggest issue- it doesn't rise above the insinuations and jokes through its own foibles.

I definitely saw that around online but it didn't seem to be as big of a thing due to the Zootopia characters not being particularly humanoid (unlike most furry characters). Maybe I missed a lot of it and that was a bigger deal than I thought.  But the overall stuff I did see was "wow furries are gonna love this movie" rather than "Disney is making a movie for furries!".

Furries don't have to be exceedingly human-esque to count as furry even to the layman, hence why Robin Hood and even Lion King also gets the distinction. "Animal that talks" is enough for anyone in the know to bust the label out, but Zootopia had marketing and inside jokes that almost had you wonder if Furries or sympathizers actually worked on the damn thing. I agree though in that I don't think that was a serious sticking point against the film, simply because it's Disney. It then also bust out the timely social commentary that overshadowed everything else, or at least justified the reason to use talking animals at all.

• Thumbs Up 3

16 hours ago, Kintor said:

Idk, Sonic Forces looks kinda boring compare to games like Mario Odyssey and Crash N Sane Trilogy.

6 hours ago, JezMM said:

Like... here's the thing though, there was never any stigma about Zootopia because people didn't see it as a furry thing like the internet has given Sonic.  Nobody was ever concerned about it having animal characters because animated films have always had animal characters.

The stigma is purely around Sonic and an overblown joke is still overblown and very visible.  You're not wrong about a lot of what you said here but I don't think it's going to make people care about Sonic Forces.  It's just another Sonic game to them and "lol they actually did an OC making thing wow".  That's the vast majority opinion I'm seeing.

There was never any stigma with Zootopia because in reality the internet doesn't care that much about attacking people who like drawing pictures of anthro characters. You might get a few trolls who call anybody who draws anthro characters a 'fury' but nobody takes those comments seriously. Not that Disney didn't deliberately market to furies mind you; I believe there may have even been special screenings of Zootopia prepared for the 'costume crowd’ (if you know what I mean) to cash-in on that incidental demographic that was drawn to Zootopia. Which just goes to show, with all the other problems going on in the world today, persecuting furies is really a low priority.

Regardless, where Sonic Forces is concerned, you're still being overly concerned over nothing. As I've said as much before, the whole meme-worthy status of Sonic OCs is a strength not a weakness. The whole craziness surrounding Sonic OCs has got a lot of people excited, that the chance to create Sonic OCs in Sonic Forces sounds like a really fun idea. Because people are already caring about Sonic Forces, this character creator has made Sonic Forces one of the most talked about Sonic games ever made, that's all positive hype and free-publicity that Sega was able to gain with a single trailer on YouTube and a couple of friendly articles in key media outlets.