Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

1 minute ago, Joy said:

We've already apparently got a "Dreamcast" AND a "Modern" Sonic according to some. Might as well go for broke and have two LITERALLY identical Classic Sonic's kicking about about too. :lol:

Now waiting for the 30th Anniversary with 5 Sonic's meeting up!

Perhaps Sega's solution to the multiple playable characters situation really is to have them all be Sonics

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

A idea that came to my mind. While true SEGA might had just changed their minds after Generations where classic Sonic is from.... But hear me out. After modern Sonic meet classic Sonic in Generations, what if this created a alternate timeline which is basically a separate dimension now? Because if you think about it... Before Generations modern Sonic doesn't remember having had meet his future self when he was younger self far as we know. Meaning Eggman messing with time and space could had created multiple different timelines. If you watch Dragonball super then you'd have seen this idea before not long ago.

But the more likely answer Sonic Team just changed their minds and want to keep classic Sonic as a alternate universe in the same way as Sonic Boom.

You have to remember Generations' white space wherein these events are not actually occurring within their designated position in the timeline. Instead, it's as if the timeline itself ceased and the events became separate, almost "spacial islands" you could hop to and fro from without any effect on the events in question once the timeline had been restored. So it's possible for Generations to have happened without affecting the cast's memory at any point in the timeline up until the point of Sonic's birthday.

8 minutes ago, Jango said:

The answer is... Generations is not canon?!

There's no way it could be with the way its time travel works.

• Thumbs Up 1

So that means Modern Sonic will yet again "meet" Classic Sonic? "Another Sonic? What? Wait a second!" [emoji14]

It's either possible that Modern Sonic remembers Classic Sonic, but Classic Sonic doesn't,

Or that they do indeed "meet" each other again. The former would be much better for things if we're trying to shove Generations into canon, the latter if we're not.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

You have to remember Generations' white space wherein these events are not actually occurring within their designated position in the timeline. Instead, it's as if the timeline itself ceased and the events became separate, almost "spacial islands" you could hop to and fro from without any effect on the events in question once the timeline had been restored. So it's possible for Generations to have happened without affecting the cast's memory at any point in the timeline up until the point of Sonic's birthday.

... Hohoo well i tried... It's especially confusing when you remember crisis city was something you could visit because everything from Sonic 06 should had been erased.

I think most of us can agree the story of Generations was a mistake.

So like, is this a different classic sonic than the one in generations?

2 hours ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

It seemed like a logical conclusion evolution based on gimmicks from the past few games.... The character assist partners side missions from Generations. The buddy system from Lost World and Runners...And then just have the partner character follow Sonic around like Tails does in the classic games. But nope, SonicTeam was like... "Forget that! Lets do something new and out of nowhere that nearly nobody asked for." I remembering thinking the partner idea was good myself too.

I think the custom hero is somewhat of an evolution as well. The skills shop in Generations, and the Wisps in Colors. It's a throwback to Secret Rings as well. It's not that new, but the customizing is new I guess.

It's not out of left field

So like, is this a different classic sonic than the one in generations?

Yes, it's the Classier Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 6

16 hours ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

They want Sonic to be localized in a quality way like the Mario RPGs, but they didn't know how so they hired a couple martini-drinking kids show writers. 

Well, kids and kids only do seem to be the audience they're aiming for with Sonic at the moment. This direction is pretty confusing considering Sonic's current audience, the existence of Sonic Mania and the fact stuff nothing like what we currently have is what attracted people in the first place, but yeah. 

Great, now I want the Paper Mario writers to hop on over to Sonic. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Ratcicle King said:

Just wait until Miyamoto suggests not using Sonic's friends ever ag- oh wait.

It'll be nothing but Wisp thought out the whole journ-oh right

• Thumbs Up 7

As if the Sonic Continuity wasn't botched already. Now we have alternate dimensions as well, or should I say, another alternate dimension? So the Classic Sonic from Generations is different from the one here, or did Generations just never happened just like 06 did? And if that's the case then does that mean that this is Classic's and Modern's first time meeting each other or did they actually meet in Generations but it was retconned and instead of coming from the past, he actually came from an alternate dimension? Either way, it's dumb.

Anyway, on the topic of story. I will admit that I wasn't too fond of Pontaff's work in previous titles. Colors was just boring. Generations was... it was. Lost World had interesting ideas but poor execution. RoL was... it was. And Fire & Ice was kinda decent. I'm willing to give them another shot, but only because this game is marketed towards being serious. It's not strictly comedy like Colors. And it's not a mismatch of "trying" to be serious and "trying" to be comedy like Lost World. It has a theme, and Pontaff has never truly went with the serious schtick, so, who knows. I dunno, I'm too optimistic for my own good.

And since I didn't say it earlier when it was discussed, about the Sonic Stream where they talked more about the Custom Characters. So there's customizable gadgets as well. I like that. And they can be chosen from some kinda hud or something. So either it'll be something like SA2's hud or an actual hub world. Probably the former. And they will have voices, but it's only limited to grunts and such. Well, I was really hoping it'd be voice, but I can see why they went with this approach. So Modern Sonic will be by himself with mute characters, RIP. Well, maybe that means more interaction with the other Sonic Cast, hopefully.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Ratcicle King said:

Is all Miyamoto's fault we don't have Sonic friends playable anymore. He is the one who suggested the Wisps.

I'M JOKING JUST IN CASE

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Ratcicle King said:

Lol even Miyamoto would let series regulars do shit. Sonic Team is in their own little world.

• Thumbs Up 2

I am more interrested in how this game will actually be structured than the story. We know for Mania that it will be presumably more than 9 Zones and 2 Acts, because it will be longer than Generations.

With three gameplay styles and each Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic not vising each others stages thus far, one can only speculate.

I would love a unique asthetic for every classic and modern Sonic stage (perhaps multiple stages for each too), and the custom char can have an alternatetive stage for each too.

7 minutes ago, Josh said:

Lol even Miyamoto would let series regulars do shit. Sonic Team is in their own little world.

Isn't Mario 64 DS the only game with multiple characters

2 minutes ago, ChikaBoing said:

Isn't Mario 64 DS the only game with multiple characters

Mario 3D world features characters that play similarly with different attributes
sm3dw_d.jpg

HMM, wonder where they got that idea?

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Josh said:

Mario 3D world features characters that play similarly with different attributes
sm3dw_d.jpg

HMM

Wow I could I forget that. 

Well Mario Oddysee is back to Mario only either way

• Thumbs Up 1

I just realized the Chao might come back soon. Not out of some source of genuine inspiration, but to capitalize off emojis. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, ChikaBoing said:

I am more interrested in how this game will actually be structured than the story. We know for Mania that it will be presumably more than 9 Zones and 2 Acts, because it will be longer than Generations.

With three gameplay styles and each Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic not vising each others stages thus far, one can only speculate.

I would love a unique asthetic for every classic and modern Sonic stage (perhaps multiple stages for each too), and the custom char can have an alternatetive stage for each too.

I've said it before, but I'd like for each character to have their own story, so that you don't have to constantly switch between playstyles. I'm pretty sure Classic and Modern will have their own unique stages, but I'm not so sure about the Custom Character. They share Park Avenue with Modern Sonic so they might have the same stages as him but with slight alterations to them, kinda like the different teams in Sonic Heroes. But that might be the only example of them sharing stages because that's most likely where the two meet and sharing the stage just makes since. I'm really hoping that the third character gets their own stages, but who knows. More stuff will likely be shown at E3, so I'll wait till then.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Shaddy the guy said:

That doesn't make any sense at all?

When did that become a factor?

No I mean Chao aren't in any way like emojis and Sega's never bringing them back and also there's nothing to "capitalize on" because everyone hates emojis and there's no financial gain from them

• Thumbs Up 3

13 minutes ago, Josh said:

sm3dw_d.jpg

HMM, wonder where they got that idea?

Oh look. The only Mario game I gotten in the last 20 something years nearly just because it had playable Peach combined with gameplay I could enjoy.

I'm a good example that some of us will buy a game simply when it has other characters we are interested in playing as. Also is part of why I'm not gonna buy Mario Odyssey.